And I'm done hoping we could work it out...

---sorry it's short, I wanted to get something out and I just thought it was a good cut off place --


My mouth dropped open. Not attractive, I’m sure, but I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. But then again, I wondered if it was a good thing. Surely Drew would never agree to something like that...

“And?” I prompted, realizing he was quiet. I saw him working his jaw, and I knew that meant he had something important to say. His face was blank though, and I couldn’t tell if it was good or bad.

“And… I think she might be right.” He finally said, still not looking at me.

I felt like I had been punched in the stomach – like I might throw up a little bit. And then I got mad.

“Seriously Drew?” I asked, half wondering if this was some sort of a prank.
He nodded slowly.
“What a load of bullshit.” I said, standing up.

“How is this bullshit Ella?” He asked, his own voice rising.
“Because we’ve been friends for how long Drew? And how long have you known this girl? Hell, I didn’t even know anything about her, but suddenly she’s saying jump and you’re saying how high?”

“Seriously Ella? You’re going there?”
“Where else am I supposed to go Drew? How exactly do you propose I handle this whole situation?”
“You, you, you, you. It’s ALWAYS about you Ella, and your needs, and your wants, and how YOU should handle it. Grow up, my world does not revolve around YOU.”
“I need to grow up? Your little girlfriend is the one who can’t even handle you being friends with a girl who’s just your friend.”
“Ha.” Drew laughed bitterly. “You would think that was all that it was about, wouldn’t you?”
“Do you care to actually explain things Drew? Or do you just want to keep being sarcastic and mean, before you walk away and shut me out without explaining anything?”

He sighed loudly, and his annoyance clearly showed, which made me more aggravated. If he wanted to call me selfish and self centered, fine. I wouldn’t argue with that, but I still felt like I deserved an explanation.

“She asked me not to talk to you. If I didn’t agree, I wouldn’t do it Ella. You may not see the reason why, but I don’t want to be a Jason. I have feelings for you and I probably always will, but you broke my heart. Don’t you get that? Don’t you get that you’re not the only one who gets hurt in situations like these? I can’t be with you, I don’t trust you. And in order to give it a good shot with someone, I have to get some space from you. I can’t have the memory of us hanging over this new relationship – it’ll suffocate it.”

I had to swallow a lump in my throat. It probably was really selfish of me, but thinking about how I had hurt Drew was too hard to think about. I hated myself for it. Before I had a chance to say anything, Drew spoke up.

“Not to mention Ella, you didn’t seem all that concerned with our friendship when you were with Seth.”

“I guess I just don’t know what’s expected of me anymore, Drew. I tried to be alone, but you tell me not to be, because you’re not coming back. I get with someone, and suddenly I’m selfish and I always have to be with someone. I break up with Seth because I realize he’s not who I really want…”

“And who do you really want?” He asked, looking at me.

“You know the answer to that question Drew. I’ve made mistakes in the past. I’ve never really laid it on the line like that. But I did for you, because I really believe you’re it for me. I love you. I want you. And if that’s not enough… I guess I really just don’t know what else to tell you. If begging will help, I’ll beg. If I need to publically humiliate myself, I’ll do that too. If I have to get down on my hands and knees and kiss your feet…. You just say the word. I can’t, however, take back what I did. I want too, but there’s no time machine. I can’t erase the past. So, if there’s nothing else I can do to change your mind, then I guess maybe you’re right. Maybe space is good. Whatever you need to do to be happy, I guess.”

I realized at some point I had given up. I know in the past I hadn’t really fought for the guy, but there was also something to be said about fighting a losing battle. If there was nothing I could do, I couldn’t just keep spinning my wheels, and getting nowhere.

“I’m sorry Ella. If I had known it was going to end up like this…” He trailed off.

“What? You wouldn’t do it?”

He looked away, but not before I saw the slight nod of his head.

“Out of all the things you’ve ever said or done to me, that hurt the worst. Because no matter how it ended Drew, I’m still glad it happened. I have nothing left to say to you.”

“I’m sorry, Ella.”

“Bye Drew.” I said.

I walked into the house, unsure of how I really felt. Mainly just empty. I had expected more, but I just felt tired and deflated. What else could I have done? Apparently one slip up with Jason was all it took to ruin Drew’s feelings for me. I understood him feeling betrayed, but if he wasn’t willing to take a chance and give me a second shot, I didn’t know what else I could do. Obviously I just wasn’t worth it to him.

“You doing OK?” Matt asked, coming in from the living room.
I shrugged, not sure what else to say. “He doesn’t want to talk to me anymore. Says it makes his new girlfriend uncomfortable.”
“Ouch.”
“Yeah. But I mean, what else can I do?” I asked. “I’m just kind of sick of this whole ‘you’re not worth it’ deal. It was like that with Jason for the longest, and I just kept holding on… I don’t want to do the same with Drew. So, he can take his time, and he can take his space, and hopefully at the end of this, we’ll both be some place good.”
“You sure you’re alright?” He asked, eyeing me suspiciously.
“I’ll be fine. Just sad. And tired. I should go to bed.”
“Do you want company?” He asked. I shot him a look. “No, I mean, really, just company, nothing else?”
“No. I think I better go this one alone.”

I was surprised to find that I meant it.

11 comments:

I actually love this post. Ella is finally showing herself to be a confident, independent strong woman. I loved her stance. I loved her strength that I have not seen since I started reading this blog from the very start. LOVED IT!!

 

This is by far my favorite blog. Ever. I totally got sucked in months ago and I am so thrilled you started writing. It's frustrating wonderful to see all these characters grow.

 

wow.. this was very hard for me to read.. probably because i was just in the same "you're not worth it" situation with my husband..very good post.. i love how I can sometimes relate with what she's going through. Makes me feel less alone in my own situation.

 

I am loving Ella and how much she has grown and learned to deal (I mean, REALLY deal) with her mistakes and owning up to them, but Drew really needs to grow a pair of balls. He also made mistakes and led Ella on at times, and never made his feelings known until it was too late, so he can just go be with his homely manipulating girlfriend and mess it up because he's still in love with Ella.

 

SIGH! I love this blog. I love this post. I think Ella is finally catching on and growing up. She owned her mistakes and FINALLY just laid it out there. At this point I think she can continue on and grow up and focus on herself and let Drew come to terms with his feelings. Hopefully it brings them together in the end. Hopefully he has finally seen her lay out her feelings and thinks about it.

 

Why is Drew putting all the blame of their failed relationship on Ella's shoulders? He made mistakes too. What's up with his holier than thou attitude?

 

I feel that maybe they should both have time apart. I think they both should actually be alone his girlfriend is a distraction for him. He needs to be alone to figure out what he really wants so does she. I could understand if its his suggestion but not the girlfriends. Timing has never been in Drews and Ella's favor. I mean I could see how he doesn't really trust her with the type of relationship they have when they were best friends. She should have been more honest with him. I mean that was the guy that would have done anything for her she has said plenty of times. When you break someones trust it is something to be earned back. I just think she should fight for him if she truly wants him.I don't think he would have left but they both messed up during and after the realtionship.

 

The sad thing is, most of Drew's hang ups with Ella are about his own insecurities. I know his mother did a number on him but he is projecting WAY too much of that on Ella. They have both made mistakes but the reason they broke up was because Drew found out Ella hooked up with Jason, but that was before they even started dating. He can't really be angry for her for that, he had no claim over her. She apologized and tried to make amends for it, but Drew wouldn't hear of it, he let his insecurity about Jason rule. And really, from the time she started dating Drew, she has known that he was what she wanted and fought for him all along. It was him who told her wait I'm coming back, then don't wait and move on, it's better that way. So she met Seth. It's a little too absurd to think that someone is supposed to just sit in a room and pine for you in order to prove their love. I really think that is what Drew expected Ella to do while he was going through whatever insecurities he was dealing with. And while we all sometimes go through things, you have to understand that you can't take it out on the other person and place the blame on them when things don't go your way. Life happens, you either go for what you want while you have the chance or turn your back on it and live with the what ifs. But if you truly love someone, that is a rare thing and if the person is willing to fight for you I think I would owe it to myself to at least give it a chance.

 

Life does happen but at the same time it was too soon for Ella to get in a serious relationship with Seth when she just got out of a relationship that was serious with Drew. But at the same time she should have told him the truth. he had to find out from Jason's wife. This was someone that was supposed to be her best friend and boyfriend that's just wrong. Now don't get me wrong I don't believe he is 100% righht or wrong but you can't ignore some of the things that Ella has done. I remember we all said that it was going to come back and bite her. I believe both made mistakes and both owned up to them they just need time to figure out what they want. You have to see that he was competing in a way wih Jason. Ella was pretty much obsessed with jason so I mean you have to see where he may not be sue where that really puts him.

 

For the longest time I really wanted Drew and Ella together (I still do!), but I can't help but wonder a little if Drew always wanted Ella because he couldn't have her. The fact she was unattainable subconsciously made her that much more desirable and allowed him to look past her faults, but now that he can have her, it's completely different. Not that he's purposefully being a jerk, he just feels differently and probably doesn't even know why (he is a guy after all...lol). Hopefully they can work through it and still end up together. I love this story!

 

Wonderful (and real!) story line. I'm sure we've all been through something similar in our lives. Having to choose between friendships/relationships can tear us apart. I hope Drew and Ella work it out and I look forward to your next post! Thanks Laura!

Sista (Redbook)