I'm gonna close my eyes and forget about us

Matt looked at me, and I could see he was cringing, but what could we do, really? So we walked over. Drew’s girlfriend moved next to him, leaving half the booth for Matt and I.

“I’m Jessica.” She said, reaching her hand out to me. “Do you know Drew already?”
I wanted to laugh, but instead I just answered. “Yes, Drew and I go way back. I’m Ella.”

I saw something flicker in her eyes when I said my name. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but I’m pretty sure Drew had told her about me. And I wasn’t quite sure whether or not that was a good thing. She recovered well.

“It’s nice to meet you, Ella.” She replied. I waited for her to say something about hearing about me, but she did. Instead she turned to Matt, ignoring me. I sat there a moment, feeling uncomfortable in my own skin, and then excused myself to go to the bathroom. I stayed in there for as long as I could manage, taking time to not only wash my hands, but splash cool water on my face. Matt and I had just woken up, but I suddenly felt like I could go back to bed and stay there for another twelve hours.

I walked out, deciding to tell them I didn’t feel good so I could make my escape, when I bumped right into Drew. He had been waiting for me. My heart skipped a beat.

“You alright?” He asked, looking at me carefully.
“It hurts.” I said, honestly. “Matt said you two were serious. How can you be so serious when I didn’t even know about her? We’re best friends Drew.”
“We were best friends, Ella.” His voice was gentle, but his words still bit me. “We don’t really talk anymore.”
“It’s too hard.”
“You did it with Jason for years.” He pointed out.
“You’re not Jason.”
“I know.” He smiled a little. “Back in the day I used to wish I was.”
“Why?” I asked. “I love you, just the way you are.”
“Because you wanted him, Ella. I wanted you to want me.”
“When did that stop?” I asked. I had no idea where this conversation was going, but I was hopeful.
However, Drew didn’t answer. He just shook his head and glanced away.
“I hooked up with Matt last night.” I blurted out. I hadn’t meant to tell him, but I was also a little relieved that I did.
“Why?” He asked, his eyes snapping back to me.
I shrugged. “I’m broken. I do stupid things when I’m sad. I can’t be alone. I’m selfish. Pick one or all of those reasons.”
“You’re not selfish Ella.”
“I am, Drew. I’m selfish and I’m horrible at being alone.”
“We should go back. I told them I’d check on you.”
“I’m telling them I’m sick and I’m going home.”
Drew nodded, as if he expected this.
“Tell me you don’t love me anymore.” I said. I kicked myself. It’s like my heart had taken over my mouth and kicked my brain out of the equation.
He shook his head again. “I can’t do that.”
“So you still love me?” I asked, my voice small.
“Yes.”
“Then why aren’t we together?” I asked, my voice cracking.
“Ella, don’t do this.”
“I want to know, Drew.”
“I know you do. But some things are better left unsaid.” And with that, he turned and walked back towards the table.

I didn’t bother to go back over there. I knew I was being rude, but I walked outside and called Matt from the car, telling him I didn’t feel good and that we should go. He had our food boxed up and came out a few minutes later with it. He drove, not for home, but instead to the River, where we sat by the water.

“That bad, huh?” Matt asked, his mouth half full of his sandwich. I took the bun from mine, no longer hungry, and tore pieces off to throw to the ducks.
“I see him and I just get filled with… I dunno. Shame. Regret. Sadness. Take your pick. And his girlfriend? She hates me.”
“She doesn’t know you.”
“But she knows about me. And what she know makes her not like me.”
“You just need to get over it El.”
“I know. But that’s a lot easier said than done.” I answered. “I told him we hooked up.”
“To make him jealous?” Matt asked, looking at me.
“No. I didn’t want it to be another Jason issue. I’m trying this thing where I learn from my mistakes.”
“Oh, so I was mistake, huh?”
I rolled my eyes. “That’s not what I meant. I just… I wonder what would have happened if I had told Drew about the whole thing with Jason. If it would have changed anything.”
“Well, there’s no point in wondering that. What’s done is done.”
I nodded.

Matt finished the rest of his dinner in silence, and then we walked back to the car and drove home. I was surprised to see a car in the driveway, and more surprised when I saw Drew sitting in the front seat.

“What’s he doing here?” I asked Matt, unable to keep the excitement out of my voice.
“Maybe he came to kick my ass for hooking up with you.” Matt answered, shrugging.
I tried to pace myself while getting out of the car, I didn’t want to seem too eager, but I found myself almost skipping towards him.

He exited his car, shutting the door, and leaning on it. He nodded to Matt, who nodded back and kept walking into the house. I felt nervous, and didn’t really know how to settle myself. Eventually I decided to sit on the front steps, and Drew followed me.

“So what’s up?” I asked, feeling the nerves start to settle in the pit of my stomach.
He wouldn’t look at me, glancing instead at Toni’s house down the street. He cleared his throat once, and opened his mouth. Then, deciding against it, he closed it again.
That’s when my hope died. If Drew was coming here with some big love confession, he would not be this nervous.
“Drew, what is it?” I asked, laughing nervously.
“It’s Jess. She… Uh. She asked me not to talk to you anymore.”

18 comments:

Oh, HE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS NO! That's your red flag, Drew! Walk away from that controlling shrew and be with the one your heart wants!!!

 

I agree! All this is starting to depress me, I really want them together......

 

I think Drew is just scared of getting hurt so he may want a clean break but it's sad. Ella fight for your man don't lett that witch get him. I'm not liking her already. I liked christi better but I am still on team Drew and Ella.

 

Oh poor Drewbie...Maybe he thinks getting back with Ella is hopeless / that he'll never really be able to trust her / that he'll get hurt again? Why else would he listen to Jess? :(

And Laura, good for you re: going back to school! Hopefully your little ones won't mind that Mommy will be much busier soon... Good luck!

 

It is not right to ask two people who have known each other for so long and who have gotten each other through some of the hardest times of their lives to stop talking. If you can't trust him to talk to her then you shouldn't be together because your relationship is already doomed to fail. Kick her to the kerb Drew and work on things with Ella :)

 

HAHAHAHA!!! I almost had a heart attack. Before I finished reading the last paragraph when it said he was nervous the first thing that popped in my head is he is gonna say she is pregnant!!

 

No he can't do that.
Really want drew and ella together.

 

Noooooooo... In the last paragraph I really wanted him to turn around and say "I'm sorry, I love you Ella". And it didnt happen :( I still haven't lost hope though!

What kind of woman would feel so insecure - a couple of weeks into a relationship - that she would have to tell her man to stop talking to and seeing one of his oldest friends... Definately a red flag as babsiegirl said!

On the other hand, he's actually considering it??? This is Drew we are talking about, he has always been there for Ella, it's just so sad she only figured that out now. Maybe it is too late for them if this is the way he is acting towards her?

 

OMG! OMG! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I was giddy with Ella that he was coming back to make some grand speech about how he still loves her. :( I'm so upset now - but more then that I want (or really I NEED) the next post.

PS Laura thanks for making something that has me looking forward to Mondays. :)

 

I'm not saying I agree with the whole "stop talking to her" angle, but at the end of the day, Ella is WAAAAY more than just a best friend. They have an unfinished relationship, so if I was dating Drew, I would not want him hanging out with someone he still has feeling for (and who is in LOVE with him). But then again, I wouldn't be with someone who is emotionally unavailable and try to change his feelings, because I think we all know that NEVER works (ie, Kayla and Jason).

 

Ugh, if only the next words out of his mouth could be, "But I'm not going to do that..."

Poor Ella :(

 

That's exactly what I am expecting...no, DEMANDING, Meg! (Just kidding!) I can't believe that Drew is going to go along with something like that. No way. I'm really glad that Ella is sharing her feelings with Drew and not cowering or over thinking things. Let him know how you feel, girl. Put it out there. Then you know you've done all you can to get your man. mum

 

OK seriously? Drew isn't exactly doing his part to stop sending Ella mixed signals. He stays at her house while she is out of town and then completely remodels her bedroom?! Then the next words out of his mouth are, Well you know we aren't best friends anymore! WTF? Drew tries to act like he is the victim but let's be honest here. He was the one that never told Ella how he felt for all those years. If he wanted something he should have spoken up. He can't blame Ella for that. And then when Ella tried to make things right in their relationship after they broke up he wouldn't have it. She tried to move on and then he places blame on the destruction of their relationship yet again. Drew needs to make up his mind what he wants, find his balls, and then go after it. This tortured I love you but can't be with you bit is getting ridiculous and it's only sending Ella into a downward spiral. And why is he on her freaking door step after what she just told him at the restaurant to tell her his girlfriend is asking to cut off contact?! Make a decision on your own dude, don't drag Ella along for the ride.

 

Can't wait for MONDAY! Drew is killing me he needs to man up and freaking stop playing the victim. If I recall correctly this whole thing stems from her not telling him she slept with Jason BEFORE they were even together. If he still loves her and has spent his whole life pining for the chick freaking fight for it and stop using excuses. To tell you how much I am into this story I laid in bed last night playing out the whole scene in my head and how she needs to tell him off and how she feels about him at the same time. I am way too into this story lol

 

I'm going to add my two cents. While I agree Drew is throwing some incredibly mixed signals and I want to scream at him to stop being so damn wishy washy, I also want to shake some sense into Ella. She has said it herself that she can't stand to be alone, so when things go wrong she jumps into the first warm bed she can find. And the worst thing is Drew knows this and has known it all along. If you were a guy, would you want to deal with that kind of baggage?

Second, even if Drew did dump his new girlfriend and profess his undying love and devotion to Ella, Ella needs to get comfortable with herself in her own skin. She can't rely on Matt, Jason, Drew, Seth or any other guy to make her happy. If she wants a healthy relationship, she needs to get herself healthy first and it isn't going to happen while she pines all over these guys.

If I were her, I would give serious consideration to finding a new job (because she doesn't sound so thrilled with the one she has) and putting her house up for sale. I know she loves it but with Drew having fixed up her bedroom, it's going to be one reminder after another and she is going to sit there and stew in that rather than working on herself. Then I would cut ties with everyone except perhaps Toni. She could start over and get the space she needs from Drew to work on getting herself healthy and happy.

And down the road, when Drew gets the holy crap scared out of him because he realizes Ella can go on without him in her life and he reaches out to her, they can have a relationship as equals without all the drama.

 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Shannon and anon 2 I actually disagree with you both Drew was never 100% to blame for that relationship failing because before they decided to go for it I remember Drew asking Ella if everything with Jason was over she said yes but she should have been honest and said that she slept with him because that wouldn't look like that was over with if she just slept with him. She should have told the truth. What Ella is going through now is what Drew was going through then he had a lot of things being thrown at him at once. I don't think he was mentally capable of being in a relationship with the issues he had to deal with. Another thing you said was that he should have just told her that he loved her but you have to realize she had her head so far up Jason's ass that I think he would have been on the losing end of that stick but also Ella should have realized it herself we all did so did Toni. She wasn't paying attention men don't communicate the same way as women they show you in the things that they do. She should have picked up on it but she never did. She made alot of mistakes too by jumping in head first without thinking into a relationship with Seth.
I agree with anon3 She should have focused on herself first and I think that Drew is just trying to play it safe now because he doesn't want to get hurt again thats all. Both were wrong in how they handled things but patience and understanding is what make a relationship thrive. I am rooting for the both of them.

I disagree she should keep the house though anon3. She can't completely let go of Drew and Jason. She should remember but just get some space and focus on herself. But if She knows for sure Drew is what she wants or needs she needs to be true to herself and fight for him and just stop being plain dumb about some things.

 

If you're in love with someone else, why the hell are you in a relationship with another person? That isn't fair to them. I don't blame the girl for not wanting him to talk to Ella anymore. Who would?