I will wait for you

We went back to his office, where my Dad did sit at his computer and pulled up the website to show me the houses he had bought. I pretended to be interested, going through the same charade as he was, but when he was done, we didn’t leave the office. He sat at his desk, swiveling in the chair, while I stretched out on the sofa.

“Lot’s going on, huh? I’m not sure what I should ask about first.” He flipped the pages in his planner on his desk absently.

“You could be like Mom and not bother to ask at all.”

He raised an eyebrow. “I’m sure your Mom would ask.”

“You might think so, but she didn’t.”

“Ella…” My Dad’s voice was a warning.

“I know Dad. That’s just Mom.” I said, shrugging.

“Your Mom doesn’t like you working with those kids. She knows you’re doing good, but she worries about you.”

“I don’t really like them being called those kids, Dad. They’re just kids, and usually they’re just trying to deal with some adult situations. And I appreciate her worry, but I’m still going to do it, so the least she can do is ask me about it.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Ella, and you know it.” He rubbed his forehead. “Your Mom… Oh hell, she’s just weird Ella. She doesn’t like what you do, and thinks ignoring it is better than fighting with you about it, so she ignores it.”

“Yeah, that is so much better.” I said sarcastically. “I think, really, the best option would probably be just to get over it, since obviously ignoring it hasn’t stopped me.”

“I don’t know what to tell you El. It may not be how you want her to handle it, but she does love you.”

“Mmm.” I said, unsure of what else to say. I know my Mom loved me. And at least she didn’t try to tell me what to do, or pass judgment. Except for… “What’s her problem with Drew?”

“Drew?” My Dad looked confused. “Your Mom doesn’t have a problem with Drew. We both love him, he’s a good guy.”

“She loves him when he’s my friend, but the last time we dated, she got weird. And now she’s weird again.”

“Ha.” Dad said smiling. “I knew you two would get back together.”

“We’re not… I mean, we are but… We’re taking things slow.” I fumbled with my words, but couldn’t help but smile. Seeing as how my Dad was watching me also caused me to blush, hard.

“I think that’s good. I’m happy for you.”

“Mom’s not.”

“What makes you say that? I know for a fact your Mom likes Drew.”

“She told me today that she didn’t think it was a good idea for us to be together, and she was weird the first time we were dating.”

“What did she say, exactly?”

“She asked if I thought if it was a good idea, because last time it didn’t end so well.”

“Ella, again. Your Mom just worries about you. I know, I know,” he said, holding up his hand when he saw I was about to protest. “She has a funny way of showing it. She isn’t good about expressing emotions. She never really has been. But when you went through everything with Jason… She struggled with it. She didn’t know what to say to you, she didn’t know how to make you feel better, and I think she felt a little hurt herself. You’ve been close to those boys for such a long time that your Mom and I both view them as our boys. We all thought you and Jason would get married, so I think watching him hurt you like that made her feel a little betrayed. I think she just doesn’t want you to be hurt again, and she doesn’t want to be in that position where someone she cares about is hurting someone else she cares about.”

“I just don’t know, Dad. I feel like I don’t know Mom at all.”

“Well, honey, I’m sorry for that. Despite all your Mom’s quirks, she’s really one amazing person.”

I nodded, although I’m sure it was true, it made me sad that I didn’t know that first hand.
Dad and I shot the shit for a little while, and then made plans to see each other before I left. It was hard to believe I would only be home for a few more days. It was hard to leave their house – even leave my Mom. She sent me home with a basket of muffins, which I know was her way of saying I love you and be safe.

I headed over to Toni’s, expecting to bum around the house and play with her kids, but she barely let me say hello to everyone before she grabbed her coat and was pulling me out the door.

“I didn’t even get to say hi to the kids!”

“That’s OK!” She said, getting into her car.

“I haven’t seen them in forever!”

“You haven’t seen me in forever, and I see them every day, I’ll tell you all about them.”
I was a little bummed I didn’t get to play with them, and it must have shown.

“Don’t worry, we’re coming back for dinner and you can see them then. I just need a break. And apparently, you have a lot to fill me in on.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Cut the crap, Ella. Drew picked you up at the airport. And he didn’t come home last night and I know he was going to see you.”

“Yeah, you were supposed to come over, what happened to that?” I asked, pretending to be miffed.

“Oh, don’t act like you missed me.” She said, smirking.

“Where are we going anyway?” I asked, deflecting.

“To look at wedding dresses.”

“For who?” I asked, a little louder than I needed too.

“Chill out.” She said, laughing. “I’m just kidding. But, you know it won’t be long now.”

“Oh please. We just got back together. We’re taking things slow.”

“No offense Ella, but how much slower could you guys take things? You’ve known him for your whole life pretty much, and you guys have had sex, what, once?”

I blushed. “I’ve known him as a friend, we didn’t date for too long last time. Besides, I’m heading back in a few days, so it can’t get too serious, I’ll be a million miles away.”

“You’re going back?” She asked, sounding surprised.

“Of course I am, this was only a break.”

“I just figured… I mean you left because of Drew and now…”

“I didn’t leave because of Drew. I mean it was a benefit to get away from things, but I left because it was a good opportunity and it helped out the agency. Did you really think I’d just quit like that?”

“I don’t know. I mean I guess not.” She said, but she didn’t sound too convincing. “That’s a long time to be away, don’t you think?”

“Yeah. It’ll be hard, but…” I shrugged.

“So, have you guys talked at all? About the future?”

“No. I told you, we’re taking things slow.”

“Ella, I just… I mean, what’s the point in taking things slow? I’m not saying get engaged in the next hour or whatever, but how much more can you possibly learn about Drew? You’ve seen him at his worst, he’s seen you at your worst, you know all his secrets, he knows all of yours… I mean isn’t that the point of dating? To get to know someone?”

“It is, but there’s other points too. I mean it’s also about compatibility and such.” At this point, we pulled up to the mall. “What are we doing here?” I asked, confused.

“If you’re hell bent on taking things slow, that’s fine, but the least you’re going to do is put out before you go all the way back to lonely, cold Colorado. Off to Victoria’s Secret we go.”

I knew there was no point in arguing with her, so instead I just rolled my eyes and followed her into the mall.

5 comments:

I've always liked Toni, she doesn't mince words. I wish Ella wasn't going back to Colorado either. Idk, I can't get over the girls taking Cumulas out in the woods like that.

 

I love Toni! She's awesome! I wish Ella wasn't going back to Colorado either, but then there's the saying that, if it'll last at all, it'll last while you're apart. It's harder, but getting through the hard things are what make a relationship strong and working.

 

Typical Toni. I usually find her endearing, but this time I just felt like she was being pushy. And I still think there's more to the situation with her Mom than meets the eye. mum

 

Toni is awesome. I love it! I actually think that being apart while being together will be good for Ella and Drew. Long distance, if Ella has the time to talk to Drew, will make them get to know each other again. Since that is what their "taking things slow" thing is going for I think it will help them out.
Mom is strange. Not sure about that whole ordeal. What her father says makes sense but I don't know. I am not convinced.

 

It seems like Ella doesn't like hearing her mother's honest opinion when she does speak it, yet also gets annoyed and defensive when her mom holds back to keep the peace. She seems resentful that her mom has concerns for her, even though it's only typical parental concern. Don't really understand her attitude about the mom, it seems kind of teenage and a little too critical. Maybe, like what another commenter has suggested, there's more to that story.