Just to keep you in the loop

I totally expected to have a post up by now. But the week hasn't gone so well.

First - THANK YOU for the birthday wishes. I really appreciate them :-)
Second - My other dog got sick - which is why I've been MIA. I was really afraid we were going to lose him too, and yesterday morning he looked really bad. I was a wreck. Cayden didn't really understand what was happening. He kept asking where Koopa (our other dog who we had to put down because of this) was, and when she was coming home. And even though I explained it to him, he didn't really get it. So, I didn't want to lose my dog, and I also didn't want my kids to go through that again.

He turned a corner last night and seemed to be doing really well. We're about 24 hours free without vomiting, and he pooped this morning and it was solid (gross, I know, but I've never been so excited to see poop before) He's also eating and drinking on his own. I'm not saying we're out of the woods yet, in these few days he's lost quite a bit of weight that we need to work on putting back on, but he's much better than he was (and not having to force feed him water from a medicine dropper is also nice.)

I also started working on the new blog. Nothing is up yet, but I set up the address and am playing with some nice and will be working on posts soon - after I get a new post for this up :-) Be on the look out for it Monday at the latest (but I'll probably work on it while bored at the superbowl party we're having!)

5 comments:

Laura,
It's been a while since I've posted. Don't worry about explanations. Life comes first. I for one am familiar with this. We post for fun! Post when you can. Your true fans will still be there.

Stephanie

 

I will send positive vibes for your dog! I hate when the animals are sick, I am glad he is doing better but I know how scary it is.

 

I understand how you feel. My mom just had to put our schnauzzer down this week. He'd been losing weight for a while, and he was acting funny, wouldn't let you touch him, wouldn't come to you.. turns out it hurt to touch him, and he couldn't breathe well. My mom thought she lost him on the weekend but was able to revive him by putting him in cool water in the bathtub.. brought him around. monday she took him to the vet, they sedated him, checked him out.. lung cancer, and it looked like he'd had it a while, but he didn't show a lot of signs, was just acting funny (but we brushed it off, he was always a quirky dog. That's why we liked him)and she said she could give him meds, but he'd only last a couple days, so mom said to put him down. He's my dad's dog, and I don't see him often, but my son, who will be 3 in March, always asks for him. He was Adrien's little buddy. It's gonna be so hard when we go next time and he asks for him. So I understand how you feel, and I'm so sorry for your loss :(

 

So both dogs were ill with the same thing? Is that why you were fearful you'd have to put another one down? I don't recall reading what happened with the first dog. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery. Our dog truly is a part of our family and I can't imagine having to make that decision. mum

 

Koopa had parvo - what my old dog Tater died from years ago. They were vaccinated, but the vet says sometimes the vaccines don't take, which is why they give them several times, and being so young (they were born in September) they had completed all the rounds they needed. We were hoping Goomba's vaccines took and he wouldn't get it, because when Koopa started showing signs, he did not. However, parvo is highly contagious - and can be easily passed (it can live for up to 9 months outside, and you can carry it into your house on your shoes and then pass it to your dog, which is probably how they got it) Koopa didn't make it - the vet thinks because she was the runt of the litter and already so small. With parvo, it's the not the virus that kills you, it's the side effects - dogs get dehydrated or starve. I don't think Goomba got hit as hard with it as Koopa did (Koopa's symptoms hit a lot stronger and progressed a lot more quickly than Goomba's.) Plus, while Koopa was small and the runt of the litter, Goomba had been the biggest of the litter and is a pretty big puppy already. Still, it was scary - he lost some weight and I had to force feed him water and and gatorade for two days. He's 100% better now and I've been told once they get it, they're not likely to get it again, so we've been bleaching the house to try to kill it and keeping an eye on him.

I'm working on the new post right now, but I'm also working on Math I forgot was due tonight. Bleck.