When the hell does you'll get over it begin

(sorry guys, I'm sick, again, but I got it done only 2 hours after Monday ended! And if there's any typos I blame the nyquil, lol)


The next few days were a blur of meetings, orientations, team building exercises, and hikes. I felt bad because at the end of the night, I was so tired I would come back and just crash, but at least I didn’t have time to feel homesick. Cumulus was having the time of his life romping around in the woods, and I knew when I took him home, he’d miss the space. However, we were given the last two days before the kids were due back as time off – we were encouraged to get to know each other better, and a group had asked me to go out to dinner and a local bar with them. I agreed, but I knew I needed to make some catch up phone calls first.

I called my Mom first, and we had a strained conversation. She never really loved me working with at risk kids – said it was dangerous – but me going away to work with at risk kids really rubbed her the wrong way. It’s not like Mom and I were super close anyway. I think honestly we were just took similar to do so. I also wished at some point she’d stop Mothering me. I know it sounds weird, because she’s a Mom and that’s what she’s supposed to do, but I think at a certain age a Mom should step down and become more of a friend or at least realize that she has no control over what you do anymore. I also got to talk to my Dad, and it made my heart ache when I realized just how much I missed him.

Next on the list was actually Jason. I probably should have called Matt first, as he was the one who had been trying to get ahold of me, but curiosity won when I saw that I had a missed call from Jay the night before. He and I hadn’t spoken in a while, and I was curious to see what he wanted.

“Hey you.” He answered. “Didn’t think I’d hear back from you. Word on the street is that you fell off the face of the planet.”
“Ha, who’d you hear that from?”
“Drewbie.”
I choked on the soda I had just taken a sip of.
“You OK over there?”
“Yeah…” I answered, catching my breath. “How would Drew know what I was up too?”
“…You guys still aren’t talking?”
“Not really. No.”
“Huh. He didn’t mention that. I just called him last night and mentioned trying to call you. He said nobody’s been really able to get ahold of you.”
“I’ve been working a lot. You know how it is.”

I wanted so badly to press Jason for more info: what did he say about me? Who had Drew talked too about me? But, I refrained. I was supposed to be here getting a break from everyone, and I highly doubt Jason knew anything anyway, especially since he hadn’t realized Drew and I weren’t talking.

“Oh yeah. How is that new job?”
“Don’t really know yet. We’ve just been doing all the getting to know you stuff. Which, I’m not a fan of. It always comes off so cheesy to me. And I don’t like talking about myself. I’m also a lot more home sick than I thought I would be.”
“Well, you’re an Ohio girl at heart.”
“I know.” I paused for a moment. “So… What’s up?”
“I can’t just call you to say hi?” Jason asked, pretending to sound offended.
“Well. You haven’t, in I don’t know how long. So. No?”
“OK, you’re right. I do have a reason for this phone call, BUT I should call you more often just to say hi.”
“What’s the reason?”
“I met someone. And, I know you don’t have to know, or approve or anything, but… I’m just trying to do things right this time. Taking things slow, and being as honest as I can be. So, I thought you deserved a heads up. I just met her, so I’m not talking marriage or anything yet, but I do really like her.”
I paused for a moment, to register how I felt. I was a little sad, but I think that’s to be expected. I think Jason and I had had something at one point, and it’s always sad when things ended, but I think I knew deep down that things were way too complicated to ever work out between us.
“You still there?”
“I am. Just thinking about things.”
“What kind of things?” He asked.
“You and me. We had a run, didn’t we?”
“We did. To be honest, I wanted to tell you so that if you wanted to give it one last shot, we could. Before things got serious. I don’t want you to have any regrets later on down the road, and I don’t want to think that I didn’t try either.”
“We can’t, Jas. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I didn’t want too, but there’s too much to get over. And, I don’t think our friendship could take it. I don’t want to lose you.”
“I figured you’d say that. I just had to give it a shot.”
We were quiet for a moment, neither of us sure what to say.
“Why aren’t you and Drew talking?”
“He has a girlfriend, who asked him to distance himself from me. It really hurt. I kind of get it now that I’ve had some distance from the situation. Drew was after me for so long and his and my history is almost as complicated as mine and yours, and I get she didn’t want it to interfere, but…” I shrugged, even though I knew Jason couldn’t see me. “It really hurts that he picked someone else over me. And what happens if they like, get married or something? Am I out of his life for good? I dunno. It’s just a mess.”
“Well… I’m not sure if I should tell you this…”
“Tell me what? You can’t say that and not tell me.”
“I think she’s moving out.”
“They just moved back in together.”
“I know. But when I called, Drew said he needed to go get boxes for his move back to Toni’s. I don’t know why he’d move back in with Toni if he was staying at a place with her.”
“I feel so out of the loop.” I said. And I did. But really, I don’t know if I minded. I wasn’t sure what to do with this new information, and I didn’t like the way it was making me feel.
“You’ll be home soon enough.”
“I know. Speaking of which, I hate to cut this short babe, but I do have some other calls to make. We’ve been so busy these last couple of days and I haven’t been able to talk to anyone. I finally have some down time and I have to squeeze everyone in.”
“Well, thanks for making time for me. I’m back home for a couple days actually. I might drive in tomorrow and visit Drew.”
“I’ll always have time for you Jay. I wish I could be there.”
“I know, I’ll talk to you later.”
“Hey Jay?”
“Yeah?”
“I am glad you found someone. I hope it works out.”
“Me too El.”
“Bye Jason.”

I didn’t have much time left before I had to start getting ready to go out with the group, and I couldn’t ignore Matt again, so instead of sitting and processing all that information, I called him as soon as I hung up with Jason.

My phone was hot against my face, and even though I hadn’t planned on anything, I blurted out when he picked up “what’s going on with Drew and his girlfriend.”
“Well, hello to you too. I’m doing fine, thanks for asking, I’m glad you’re not dead as I presumed.”
“Sorry Matt, how are you? I’ve been super busy. Now what’s going on with Drew and his girlfriend?”

18 comments:

Poor Matt! But at least he gets to know where he stands with Ella. And I'm glad how things are turning out with Jason.

-limace-

 

For someone who says she doesn't want or like drama, Ella always pulls herself back in it or creates drama for herself. She doesn't seem to do something whole-heartedly. Always one foot in the past, or in things she claims to need to move on from. I understand it is human to be curious, nostalgic, even a little upset. But she self-sabotages quite often, without realizing her role in the mess that she soon finds herself in. On a sidenote, she really needs to be more sensitive to matt's feelings, instead of acting like he is just a source of information.

 

Ok I totally understand where everyone's coming from in regards to Matt's feelings, but I would've done the same thing as Ella having heard that from Jason. I mean the heart wants, what the heart wants, and Ella's heart still wants Drew.

 

I want ella and matt together =[

 

This is worse than the true blood cliffhanger they dole out every week.
It doesn't matter, I'll always come back for more.

 

Rooting for Ella and Drew!

 

The Queen of Insensitivity. Honestly. I'd be grilling Matt, too, but after a proper hello, how are you, yadayadayada...she KNOWS how he feels about her. Matt doesn't deserve that kind of treatment. Oy. mum

 

Mum and Queen, I probably would have done the same thing she did. She has be pretty open with Matt about how she feels about him and Drew...I agree he deserves better, but its not Ella's fault he isn't moving on...

 

Ella's just too self-absorbed, all-around. She wants whoever she doesn't have at the moment, and winds up hurting others, as well as herself; she does this over and over. Poor Matt should just move on as quickly as possible.

 

I hope Matt finds someone like Jason did because Matt is a great guy. I still want Ella and Drew together, but the old Drew.

 

Ella just wants whoever she doesn't have at the moment, unavailable men. When a guy is available, it is too easy/she thinks there is no chemistry or she needs to focus on herself. She is addicted to the drama. Tbh, I don't think she really loves drew, I think she just wants him. Once he appears in her life, she wont know how to handle it.

 

Oh, to hell with Drew. And when she decides she wants Matt, he should turn her down because she treats him like absolute crap. She needs to find someone new and get on with her life.

 

Maybe Ella will forget about them all and something will happen with this guy that picked her up from the airport?

 

I understand that she's fixated on Drew, but she should remember that he didn't even say goodbye. He just let her go without a word. Matt is the one who is there for her.

 

Ella obsesses over anyone who's unavailable to her, or not interested in being with her. But, when she's in a legit relationship with someone, or if someone single is really into her, she's not so interested. If Drew were engaged or married, she'd find a way to get with him real fast. Even if she doesn't realize it, this is how she does things.

 

That's why I think the guy at this camp will be intriguing to her. He was disinterested and it's already bugging her.

 

I wish Ella would wake up, and notice her unhealthy pattern in relationships. There isn't any point going away but still clinging on to a negative past. She needs to grow up. She's getting a little pathetic with the way she latches on to guys right at the very moment they don't treat her right/or hurt her. Drew didn't say goodbye, so of course in ella's eyes that means he is her one and only true love. Grow a spine Ella.

 

I kind of understand Why he didn't say goodbye because it's never really easy especially to someone you love you don't really want to say goodbye. We have to remember that Ella is in love ith Drew it will take a while for her to really move on. Of course she is going to want to know about him. I really hope she focuses onherself on not on Drew or aany other manfor that matter. Drew will come around when he is ready hopefully it's not that long.