New post below

Sorry it's late. Of course, as soon as I said "I'll have it up as long as Eli naps" Eli woke up. ANd I was going to finish it last night, but it was such a horrible day I just went to bed.

Also, this was posted in the comments, and I wanted to post it in a main post because I know not everyone reads the comments/goes back and reads comments, and if anyone has any advice, I think it would be appreciated :-)

*Totally off-topic question: Does anyone know how common it may or may not be to have an older dog (going on 13 years) experience a stroke? My little guy went from "normal" to drugged-acting over the course of an afternoon. He started randomly walking up to walls, stopping and staring in an unfocused way at the wall, became unresponsive (didn't seem to acknowledge us at all), "dragged" his hind-end (kind of looked like dead-weight) around somewhat, shook, his eye was bulging and very red...lets see: what else? He ate very little (even his favorite canned food that he normally wolfs down in practically one bite), "listed" or leaned to one side, seemed to be off-balence...just all-around spacey and drooping, also. Of course, we took him to our vet (he'd just been in the week before for shots-boosters and to have a patch of fur that'd fallen out on his ribs looked at)...he was fine at that appt. They thought he looked great for a dog his age. We had his teeth worked on extensively (had to have some pulled) this past September...but he's been good since. Sleeping more lately, but we attributed that to him losing his sister of the same age this past July (she had a tumor). I automatically thought all his symptoms (came out of nowhere) resembled a stroke, and I brought that up to the vet on Wednesday. He was very definitive about it NOT being a stroke, but didn't really offer any reasons why not. (Background: I don't like this guy. This appt. was the 2nd time we'd gotten stuck with him, and neither time was positive; he's arrogant, too eager to appear over-the-top knowledgeable, condescending, and unpleasant when I ask how much something is going to cost. I had the front-desk women note in our file not to give him to us again). Anyway, the lady vet who called me back yesterday am with test results told me the direct opposite: he very well COULD have had a stroke. Naturally, they don't really know anything definitive.

Opinions? (I know Laura is a dog-lover, and there are other animal-people on here as well). He's WAY better now...almost back to his "normal" self...only a couple of days after being so sick-acting. Such extreme changes really make me think it was a stroke - but I don't know.

---- I don't really have any advice for you (I haven't had an experience like this) But I'm also wondering if it might be a brain tumor or something? I believe in humans those can act up and cause symptoms and then the person goes back to being fine, I think it's the same in animals. But I wanted to post it up here in case anyone else could help you out! -----

3 comments:

Well I'm certainly no expert, but those symptoms sound a lot like what my dog was doing after she had a seizure earlier this year (my dog was shaking a lot- it definitely looked like she was having a seizure but the vet said sometimes it's hard to tell and the owner doesn't even notice). At first they said it was either epilepsy or a brain tumor, but since it ended up being a one-time occurrence they now think she might have gotten into some fertilizer or some other chemical and that caused it. She was dragging her hind legs pretty badly, and was having a really hard time with stairs and jumping up onto furniture. She was also behaving just really out of character in general- not acknowledging us, having "accidents" around the house when she hasn't had one in years and just acting kind of spacey in general. She snapped out of it a while later and is completely fine now.

Like I said, I'm definitely no expert, just thought I'd share in case it helps :) From my experience the only advice I can really give you is be happy that he's getting back to his normal self and try not to stress too much about him. I spent weeks freaking out about my dog, convinced she had cancer and was going to die, but realistically, making myself crazy wasn't very helpful. Just enjoy your time with your dog and if he seems like he's getting weird again get him to the vet. I hope everything works out and the little guy is ok!

 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience; your dog's symptoms sound very much like mine (especially the dragging of the hind quarters). Also, you're right about not spending so much of my energy worrying about him; I know stressing won't make anything better. I guess I'll just have to continue watching him for odd behavior and physical symptoms. It helps to read about similar examples like your's though...gives me something for comparison that sounds encouraging. Hope your little girl continues to be healthy & happy.

 

I would agree with either mild seizures or a possible brain tumor.
I couldn't imagine that after a stroke a dog (like people) would just go back to normal and not have some lasting effect.
If you have already had a dog of the same breeding pass due to a tumor then it is quite possibly a genetic issue.
At this stage the only thing you can really do is keep a close eye on him and if you notice he starts acting strangely again, take him straight back to the vets for testing.
My fingers are crossed that this was a one off thing (minor seizure? maybe) and he is all better now.
:)