I'm already gone

“What?” He asked.
“I’m going to Colorado.”
“You’re leaving?”
“Yes.” I said, trying to read his face.
“How could you do that?”
“What do you mean, how could I do that?”
“I mean it’s one thing to take another job, but in a whole other state? How are you going to be able to help the agency at all?” His voice was rising, he was getting angry, and I was confused.
“I am helping the agency, by leaving Matt.”
“No, you’re turning your back on it.”
“I don’t understand.” I said, reaching up to rub my head. “Me leaving the agency was fine when I was in the state, but now all of a sudden it’s not? Why?”
“Because, how are you going to help out at all?”
“Help out with what, Matt?” I was trying hard not to get frustrated, but it was becoming hard. I really was confused as to what he was talking about.
“Help out with saving the agency!”
“Matt, I’m doing what I can do save the agency – which happens to be leaving for a little while. The agency is way past doing some fundraisers to get them out of this hole, we need more than that. They’re doing some emergency grant writing, which is the only thing I could help with if I stayed. And believe me, I’m helping out more if I’m leaving.”
“I just don’t get why you’re the one who has to go.”
“Matt, is this really about the agency? Or is it about us?”
“What?” He said, looking up at me. “No. I mean I don’t want you to leave for the agency but… I just don’t get why they couldn’t send someone else.”
“Who else are they going to send? The only person there that has the qualifications needed is Sandy, and she has a husband and a son here. And my salary is pretty significant, Matt. Cutting it will save them a lot of money. Look, I love the agency, I really do. I don’t want to see it go under either, and I’m trying to do what I can to help. I also am realistic, and reality is, our situation does not look good. This place with give me new experiences, teach me new skills, look great on my resume, and give me more contacts. And, if you haven’t noticed, my social life is also in ruins. Really, this opportunity is a win for everyone, and it couldn’t have come at a better time.”
“I guess you’re right.” He said, refusing to look at me.
“I was wondering too… If you wanted to stay at my house while I was gone? Keep an eye on it? I mean if you don’t want to pay rent here while you’re living somewhere else, I understand, and I can ask Brook. But, I’ve known you longer, and I figure it might be getting cramped with…”
“Actually, it’s funny you should mention that…” He said, now refusing to look at me and seeming nervous.
“What?” I asked.
“Jessica's is moving in. Well. She pretty much already has moved in. But they want to make it she pays rent and is on the lease official. We were going to tough it out here until the lease was up, but I think the place is kind of small for three people, and I don’t want to watch them play house.”
“Huh.” I said, processing the information. “They’re that serious?” I asked, unsure if I really wanted the answer.
“I don’t know El…” Matt’s voice was soft, gentle. “I mean to be really honest with you, she is the one who is initiated all this big plans, and she’s definitely pushy. But, he’s also not putting up much of a fight.”
I worked my jaw, trying to fight back tears. I wondered if it would be like Jason all over again, and I’d watch Drew get married to someone else.
“Hey.” He said, reaching his arm out to touch mine. “If it makes you feel any better, it seems like he’s more… Complacent. As if he just is letting things happen.”
I shrugged. “It doesn’t really matter I guess.”

We sat there in silence for a few moments. I knew that I probably looked like someone had just shot my puppy, and I didn’t want to walk out and let them see my like that. In fact, I didn’t want them to know my business at all.

“I don’t want Drew to know I’m leaving, OK?”
“Why not?” He asked, confused.
“He initiated the cut off. He’s the one who didn’t want to be my friend anymore. I know it might sound really childish, but I just… If he’s not going to be in my life, this isn’t something he needs to know. It’s not like I’m going forever, you know? If he asks where I am while I’m gone, you can tell him then.”
“I don’t like that Ella.”
“You don’t have to like it, Matt. You just have to respect it.”
“I don’t like lying to my friends.”
“You aren’t lying. You’re omitting the truth.”
“Fine. But I want it on the record that I don’t like this. At all.”
“So noted.” I said, winking at him.

We sat and ate some doughnuts, catching up on the time we spent apart, and discussing how the move in would go. I wouldn’t charge him rent as long as he did basic up keep of the house. He was a little bummed that I was taking Cumulus with me to Colorado.

“You should leave him Ella. Then you don’t have to worry about him while you’re learning the ropes of your new job.”
“Uh uh. No way. I’d miss him way too much.”
“But I’ll miss him too.” Matt fake whined.
“I know, but he’s not your dog.”
“I know. I miss having one.”
“You should get one.” I said.
“I’m not allowed pets here.”
“Well, you’ll be in my place. You can have a dog there. Then you’ll just have to find a place that allows dogs when I come back. Or, if you don’t want to mess with that, just call the Stop the Suffering. That’s the place I fostered Cumulus from. Temporary dog for you, AND you’re doing a good deed. Both those things help you score with the ladies.” I said, winking at him.
“I’ll think about it.” He replied. “Won’t be as good as Cumulus though.”
“That’s cuz no dog is as good as my dog.”

Later, Matt got up and walked me out. Thankfully, neither Jessica or Drew were to be seen.
“She probably got irritated that you were still here and made him leave.” Matt speculated.
“Whatever. As long as I don’t have to see her.” I replied, giving him a hug.

The next week was a blur. Announcing at work that I was leaving, helping out with the grant writing while I was still there, trying to explain to my kids that it was only a temporary assignment (I didn’t have the heart to tell them that the agency might be closing down.) I was also doing a lot of paperwork for the new job, for both Cumulus and I, as well as making lists for what I still needed to buy for my trip. I was also trying to spend time with Brook, who was sad that I was leaving so soon after I had met her.

A few days before I was scheduled to leave, I was upstairs packing my bags. It was sort of sad to see my life laid before my in those two duffle bags, but also sort of freeing. This is what was important to me, this is what I needed, this is what I was choosing to take with me. I felt almost as if I was shedding some of my skin, and honestly I was exciting to see what this whole thing was going to bring me. The doorbell rang.

“Come in!” I called downstairs. I was expecting Matt, who had been bringing his stuff over a couple boxes at a time to try to avoid renting a truck. I heard him walking up the stairs, and I zipped up one of my bags before turning around to greet him.

I swear my eyes almost fell out of my head when I saw that it was Drew, standing in my door way instead.

“So it’s true.” He said, eyeing my bags. “You are leaving.”

29 comments:

Oh my! Matt spilled the beans! I can't wait to find out what happens next....even though you post once a week, I still check every day

 

YES! She so totally couldn't have moved to Colorado without talking to Drew. It is time for Drew to man up. Stop going through the motions with Spazmine and go for what he wants. He should go to CO with her, and they can start fresh. mum

 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I cannot wait for the
next one! Damn these cliffhangers! Hahah

 

NOOOOOO!!!! You can't do this to us!! My heart can't take it anymore!! Hahahahaha!!
I really want Ella to completely discard Drew 'cause it's become way too obvious the guy isn't man enough for her.

 

NO NO NO!!! I can't wait another week to find out what happens - that's just cruel. I'm with Tiffany though - I still check everyday in hopes of seeing a random new one. Wink, Wink! :)

 

WOW. I can NOT wait until next Monday. I too will check everyday lol. I was just starting to think that maybe Drew was a lost cause and Matt might be the one. I hope that she goes no matter what Drew has to say. I think the time away would do her a world of good. Of course I am hoping she doesn't get into anything with anyone out there because she really does need the time alone.

 

holy crap, are you sure you cant please us and give us some more posts this week????????????

im so over drew + ella. I want ella to be with matt. he doesnt hate her for her past, he accepts her, forgives her and doesnt make her feel like crap for everything she's going through. TEAM MATT!!!

now if she ends up with drew, thats ok, as long as he's like i broke up with Douchemine girl and i love YOU. but he wont. he'll probably be like. sure, just run away, ella. ugh he irritates me with his inability to get over something ella did BEFORE THEY WERE DATING!!!

 

Screw Drew. I'm Team Matt. Drew is such a coward. I'm over him!

 

I'm another one on Team Matt. He really does seem to appreciate Ella for who she is.

 

I thought Jess was Drew's girl and Jasmine was her friend? Or did I totally mix that up!

 

I used to be totally for her and Drew, but I agree with the others. He's too much of a wimp who's holding on to a stupid grudge. I think she should be with Matt!

 

Yes, Jess was the name of Drew's girlfriend in a previous post (when they met at the restaurant). Can't believe we have to wait another week until we know what Drew says!

 

I can't wait to see what Drew has to say. On one hand I have always been team Drew but I have to agree with the others in some ways. Matt seems to not hold her past against her and has really been the one to step up. He seems to be the bigger and better man right now while Drew is being a total brat who won't let go of his issues. I can't wait for Monday.

 

OK so I have to comment now---even though I agree with everyone and I love Matt, I still love Drew too. WHat everyone needs to remember is that Drew has been through alot of this with Ella. I am not sure who I want her with at this point!!

As always.....you have us wanting more!! Thanks so much for posting your story and sharing your talent.

 

So, is Drew still with Jessica or is he dating this Jazmine girl now? Did we get a post where Drew and Jessica broke up and he started dating her friend? (I think I remember the last post mentioning Jazmine wearing Drew's t-shirt or something, but before that I just remember his gf being Jessica). And if not, is Jazmine just being really super controlling of her friend's boyfriend? Like, moving in with him as like a "spy" for Jessica? I am so confused, I feel like I missed a post somewhere...

 

Ahhh - no you guys are right. Jess WAS Drew's girlfriend and I mixed up the names. Sorry! I'll go through and edit them and fix it.

 

I feel like Matt has taken the place that Drew used to take... the friend who is 'such a good guy' but Ella just isn't interested because she is so focused on someone else (Jason etc in the past, now Drew). I am a firm believer in love for - a reason, a season and a lifetime. Either Drew was her reason (to get over Jason) and for Ella to start seeing the nice guy for once (Matt). Or maybe he will pull through, start to communicate with and support Ella and be HONEST about how he has been feeling. Because I can't remember him ever being fully open honest and willing to WORK at things with Ella. Love isn't all fairytales, there are ups and downs that need to be dealt with and I'm not sure that Drew really has the skills to be in a funtioning relationship... or for that matter does Ella. But at least she is making some genuine steps forwards!!!

 

I think people have forgotten the things that Drew did for Ella. Lets be honest here. I love Ella but she can be a bit flaky at times. I don't think the issue is Jason any more. I think its more of what happened after with Seth. Which it wasn't a good idea to jump into another relationship with another guy when you have feelings for another guy. It can be confusing and hurtful. Her jumping into a relationship so soon is only going to push him farther away. Even though she said she understood why he wasn't exactly ready to be a full time boyfriend she didn't understand. Action speaks louder than words. He was hurt by that he hda to be deeply hurt with the way he felt about her. They both did wrong and handled the situation badly. But realisticly you can't expext him to take her back just like that and not go through the emotions that one goes through when they have been hurt by someone they love. Drew has alays accepted Ella for the way she is but it started to affect him in a negative ways that ended up hurting herself most of the times. At one point Drew was Matt. What if she did what she did to Drew to Matt do you think what you see now is what you would actually get? I feel like this is going in circles a little because it reminds me of Ella and Jason and Kayla. I say she and Drew should have that talk thats been coming.

 

Kiwi I agree a little but I don't think Drew has ever been in a relationship before. I remember Ella saying that he dated but never had any real girlfriends. I think he was holding out on her but he got hurt and now it's time for him to say what he has been feeling. Ella doesn't really have the skills either to be in a functioning relationship. she doesn't really communicate when she should be but she kinds of running away from it all. I actually don't want her to date another friend. I think they should just stay friends.

 

if i remember correctly, him and ella getting it on in the bathroom when they first started dating, was his first time as well.. i'll have to reread and make sure.. but im almost 100 percent on that...

 

I want to see Drew and Ella together. But, Drew needs therapy. He can't forgive his mother, he can't forgive Ella, and he doesn't know how to let things go. Ella finally seems to be taking control of her life and making good decisions for her own benefit and not to please a man. Drew would destroy that right now.

 

I don't think he hs issues forgiving her I think he did. It's one thing to forgive and another to just accept someone back like that.You can orive and let the person go if that is the right choice I think that is what he needs to figure out. His mother I could understand that is way too much drama there that has to be fixed. His mother has to actually understand and admit she hurt him. Take some responsibility for her actions. She abandoned him thats what his mom did. Something a mother should never do. His mother needed therapy if you ask me. I believe he did start talking to his mom too. Everything happens when it's supose to.

 

KBear - you are correct. Ella was Drew's first and he's been in love/obsessed with her since long before they got together. He's been there for her, but has always felt second to Jason and when he learned about her and Jason hooking up while Jason was married, I think he just continued to feel like he was never going to BE Jason, and never be good enough for Ella. It's sad, but he has a point there, Ella was selfish and didn't know her own feelings, but I think she's grown a bit and now knows that Drew is what she wants...if only they can both come to realize that. I love Matt and would want him for a BF in a heart beat, but for Ella I still think it's Drew.

 

HOPEFULLY, Drew will get his head out of his butt and finally be upfront and tell his side truthfully and in full to Ella like she did for him. They can't work anything out until everything is on the table to see what they have to work with. I miss Drewbie. And, this break (Ella leaving to Colorado for 6 months) will be good for everyone involved to clear their heads and get to know themselves and what they want a little better.

 

I don't think anyone has thought about how Drew will react if/when he finds out that Matt and Ella have hooked up. It's extremely similar to what happened with Jason. She wasn't dating Drew and was free to do what she wanted, but Drew still dumped her after he found out about Jason. Why would he feel any different when the guy is Matt? He's friends with Matt, just like he is with Jason. If Drew comes back into the picture, not only will it burn Matt, but I think Drew will have the same exact reaction and Ella will be alone again. She needs to stick with Matt.

 

Kristin,

Drew already knows about Ella and Matt.

I think what we all have to remember here too is the Drew/Jason/Ella thing goes back to high school. No one knows what they really want or feel in high school and you really don't start figuring it out until you are through your early 20's. So there has been a lot of growing and changing for everyone over the years. Sometimes your paths come back together and sometimes they don't. But Drew has made his decision that he is moving on from Ella and ceased contact. Now he has showed up at her doorstep as soon as she's leaving. Ella has known for quite some time that Drew is it for her. She has made that clear to him. So unless Drew is there to declare that's he's willing to be all in, this is just more of him stringing her along. Regardless of why he is there I truly hope she goes to Colorado and takes time to herself. Like other people have said, she's got to learn how to be ok alone.

 

Is it Monday yet? lol

Drew knows about Matt and he also didn't seem to be too concerned. I almost want him to come declare he doesn't want her to go and he is all in. Then I want her to tell him to hold that thought for 6 months. She needs this break, Drew needs to be forced to have this time and distance away from her as well.

 

I agree no matter what Drew says Ella still needs to go so they can both have that time apart to decide if they still want each other after the 6 months is up. If they can make it through the 6 months without hurting each other again then I think they have something to start with again. And Drew shouldn't be dumping Jess and jumping straight in with Ella anyways (that's if he is going to tell Ella he has made a mistake). Honestly though if he is there to carry on about her running away and upset her then he shouldn't be there at all.

Can't wait for Monday's post!

 

Hey ladies,

I have started a blog basically to make fun of the frustrations of dating in general. I tend to have a unique ability to attract crazy, needy men. Not sure why! So if you are looking for a place to commiserate after a bad date or need to remind yourself that your husband/SO leaving his dirty underwear around isn't all that bad! then come on over! My stories of dates gone wrong are more effective than marriage counseling. I don't have a posting schedule. I usually post when a notable encounter or observation comes up. I generally try to get a post up once a week and am working on a new post for today. Also, submissions are welcome!

Shannonigans.blogetery.com