Clarifying

A couple of things:

One: Matt IS seven-two. Yes, I know that's REALLY tall. The Matt in real life? Is REALLY seven-two. It's not a typo, he's just REALLY REALLY tall. And our hands did bump. Or maybe it was our arms? I can't really remember, but it had the same effect.

Two: I'm not entirely happy with the post below. I tried to re-write it a couple times, and it's just what it is, kinda boring (at least, to me it is.) But, anyone who has a husband in the military, or boyfriend, or sister, or friend, or whatever, will tell you it's one said, stressful waiting game. So.

Three: I'm highly irritated today, so I apologize in advance if I snap at anyone (I really will try not too. It's nobodys fault here that I'm irritated.) Yesterday was just a hectic day, in fact it's been a week of those and yesterday was the icing on the cake. (we waited a 1/2 hour to even get back into the room at the doctors office, then had to wait another 1/2 hour for the nurse to come give him his shots, which were horrible. Followed by more waiting because my Father in law had to go to the doctors suddenly in the morning, and instead of making it easier for everyone and go with him, my Mother in law decided to wait for him at home. Which meant when he was done he had to go clear across town to pick up the cake they ordered, and come back across town to pick her up, and then go back across town to meet us for lunch. Oh, and even though they were already later and knew we were waiting for them at the restaurant, my Mother in law still decided to stop and get my son a balloon, even though we TOLD her we had balloons for him already. And then there was also the fight we almost got into, but I digress.) All in all, my son's birthday ended fantastically, but came with a lot of waiting and biting my tongue. So I've kinda reached my limit.

Again, it's NO ONES fault here, you all have been great, your comments WONDERFUL, and I appreciate them. It's just that I'm in a bad mood and innocent people are getting snapped at (like my poor husband, lol.) So I may just make myself scarce today.

7 comments:

How I remember the days of trying to entertain a toddler in the doctor's office!! Such fun not. Especiallly in the exam room. Too much interesting things for a baby to want to get into!! Hope you have a less stressful day today.

 

Laura,

I feel your pain. I have MIL problems too. I have been married 21 years and it has never gotten better. Here is what I had to do, hard as it is to accept, you probably aren't going to change her. The best you can do is accept that she is a PITA, she will never be the loving MIL you want and then work around her. Instead of expecting her to behave the "normal" way, expect less and then you will stay a little calmer. You can even be a little passive aggressive,for example, "we are having Cayden's birthday party, but I know you don't feel well alot, so we understand if you can't make it." Don't let her turn you into a person you don't want to be. I know you feel it is not right the way she acts and you want to change it, but at least for me I was a lot less stressed when I let it go and just basically expected nothing from them. Then when they did something right it was a pleasant surprise. Anyway that is how I cope and have stayed married with the MIL's being the biggest strain to our marriage. I am lucky they live out of state so I only have put up with it a few times a year. Good luck to you!

 

I LOVE hearing about the crazy mother in law! I can't stand people that are so selfish but for whatever reason its entertaining, it's like watching those Real Housewives shows.

 

Uh-huh...Laura. Your MIL makes mine look like a saint. Actually, I have a lot of affection and a soft-spot for my husband's mom. Like anyone else, she's human, with human flaws - but she doesn't go out of her way to be a pain-in-the-ass, and she's not "all-about-me", either. I really think that one quality, (self-centered viewpoint), is what causes so many personality-challenged individuals to spread their "assholedness" around so liberally. Hopefully, you'll eventually become more numb to Maryann's antics. Good luck - you poor girl.

 

Laura- yes, entertaining Cayden was... Interesting. They had a fish tank that he liked, but then of course the guy came in to clean it, so we had to keep him away from that, and then he wanted to crawl around, but I dunno, public floors always make me iffy (and I am NOT a germ-a-phob. It's just who knows how often they clean the floors and it's a dr's office so....)

Anon1- Believe it or not I do let a LOT of things slide with her. I bottle them up and the bitch later, I'm still working on the whole "not letting it get to me" deal, because it is. But there are just some things I can't let slide. Her trying to take the attention away from my son on his first birthday party, for example, and there were a few other things as well (like her racist comments), I just can't and won't let them go, and if she can't fix her attitude at least around me, she won't be seeing her Grandson. She lives about 20 minutes away, but we barely see them because of her. However, when we do see them, she gives us a guilt trip about not seeing them, even though it's not our fault (she's REALLY jealous of my mom, who sees him once a week. And honestly I'm not showing favoritism. I used to call and try to set up plans with her, but after she didn't call me back for the 5th time, I stopped. My mom works a LOT, and can still make time to see him at LEAST once a week. MIL Doesn't work)

And Anon2- I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about MIL. I have stories.

 

yes I agree MIL stories are great. I have the reverse actually...my MIL is awesome and we get along super great, but my own mother--that is another story!! HA! thankfully she lives 5 hours away in another province, and we just duke it out once an while! haha.

 

I never realised I was so lucky: I have great parents AND great in-laws too. Maybe things would be different if we didn't all live so far away from each other... Anyway, it's always a great mutual pleasure to see each other, when we do see each other!