Yet another authors note (I am making this a habit, aren't I?)

I got a couple of comments on Tater, the dog I wrote about who died of Parvo, and I juat had to touch on it a little bit. I wanted to write back in the comments, but I wasn't sure if they'd check back. Some of this blog is true. I did have a friend named Jason who I was very much in love with. He did join the Marines, after which is seemed to turn into a complete and utter idiot (nothing against the troops, I support them and could NEVER do what they do, but my Jason DID change after he joined. Part of me can't blame him, but part of me always will.) All the guys in the story are modeled after a guy I've known in real life. Including Tater.
Everything I wrote about Tater is true, it happened. So when the you guys wrote about losing one of your animal-loves, trust me, I can relate. It's never easy, not when you have time to say goodbye, or when it happens suddenly. Men come and go, but animals loves will tell you, a dog is forever, and will break your heart in ways you can never imagine. And it's probably the only time a male or female is worth that kind of heartbreak, because while they're here, dogs will love with such a passion that I personally will never experience again (and I adore my husband, lol, he just doesn't follow me around like Tater did, wait for me to come home like Tater does, ect.)

I also heard a couple people would like to know more about me. I'm 23 years old, I'm married, I have a son who's about to turn a year old. We're trying for our second (that may be TMI, but obviously if I get pregnant and have the baby, postings probably going to get cut down.) My son is crawling, trying to walk, saying hi and bye, and all in all the cutest baby boy ever. I have two dogs, four cats (soon to be three, but we'll probably get suckered into rescuing another.) I did fostering for awhile, and I have to say, if you're thinking about getting a dog, I would foster first as a trial run. It's the best thing ever. Organizations, here at least, will often pay for vet care, and sometimes even food, so your only requirement is to take care of and love the dog, take it to vet visits, and sometimes to adoption events. And, if you fall in love, you often get first dibs on adoption. It's the perfect way to help out and see if you're ready for a dog full time, or "try on" different breeds to see which works best for you. While I prefer mutts, there are also breed-specific rescues you could foster for if you're looking for a specific dog. I like to read (ALWAYS open to book suggestions, and if you need one, I have a million, I love Wally Lamb, Jodi Picoult, and even though she's a teen author, Sarah Dessen.), write, and generally I'm a homebody who hangs out with my family and friends. I also worked at a non-profit agency as described, and the stories I've wrote thus far about the kids are pretty much true (although, I never did take a puppy into the kids. A kitten, and we had a pet rat, but never a puppy.) I spent four summers as a camp counselor, four years running an after school program, and then these last few years I've gone back in the summers to teach different subjects (one year I was an art teacher, NEVER again. Someone wise once said glitter is the the craft world's herpes, and it's true!) and this past year I did some creative writing with the kids (which was super sad/interesting.) I also have to touch base on fostering a child. If you can, do it. I haven't done it yet, but I hope too once we get the room. I've worked with many foster kids, and I feel it would be a very rewarding experience.

I'm always open to questions, comments, opinions. I don't mind if you discuss things in the comment sections, on or off topic. I don't care if you debate, but please know that there IS a difference between debating and arguing. You can debate your points, and disagree with each other, but being mean, name calling, whatever, just won't be tolerated. If someone has an opinion, you can disagree, but they don't need to be "run out of town" so to speak. People can love me, like me, dislike me or hate me, it doesn't bother me. I don't proof-read, and I'm not going too. I have spell check but that doesn't usually save me from when I use the wrong word but spell it right. I hate proof reading. So, if that bothers you, this probably isn't the place for you to be.

21 comments:

Thanks for the background info. I'm surprized from your writing I thought u would have been older!

But ya you great timeing. I was wondering what books you would suggest? I just finished reading the 5 languages of love (lame I know, I don't normally read self help type books but I found it pretty helpful, it really just reminds you to be nice to your partner... unfortunatly sometimes I do need to be reminded of that ;) so now I need to pick up something else to read. Any favorites?
-Blogreader

 

As I said in the blog, I LOVE Jodi Picoult. I think her stories have very interesting plot lines, and always contain a twist. Some of them can get a little dry, but my favorites are Handle with care, my sisters keeper, nineteen minutes, and the tenth circle are some of my faves of hers. I also love Wally Lamb, The hour I first believed (his new one) is long, but I felt very good, I also liked I know this much is true (this one was a little difficult for me to get into, but once I did, I was hooked!) Sarah Dessen writes teen books, but I loved The Truth About Forever. Water for Elephants remains one of my faves. I also read a lot of... True stories, I guess you would say. Like Wally Lamb went to a prison and taught a writing class and he gathered their stories and put them into two books, (Couldn't keep it to myself, and I'll fly away) Both VERY interesting (at least to me.) I read this book way back when and it was about FGM, but very interesting as well called Do they hear you when you cry? There was one more about the Rwanda genocide, and how this woman survived. She believes her faith in God saved her, but I didn't feel it got too preachy or anything, it was called Left To Tell.

 

The way you talked about Tater made me think a lot of my baby (puppy) Gracie. She is my world, and though she can drive me nuts at times (we are still going through the training stages), I can never imagine being without her. Just the other night, she went and stayed with my boyfriend because I had been pretty sick and he wanted me to be able to get more rest, and I was so lonely without my sleeping buddy! I am so sorry for your loss of Tater (I love his name), but we all know he's in a better place!

I think it's great that there are things from this blog that are a true part of your life. I think some of the best writing comes from personal experience. It's really the only way to be able to relay those raw emotions that the characters go through.

 

Aw, there's a book about a dog named Gracie, it's one of those sappy animal books that I love, it's called Amazing Gracie, it's about one of the dogs that the people who started 3 dog bakery owned. It's worth the read.

 

I am secretly obessed with your blog and love how you write. I was hoping you would tell us more about you since it says this blog is based on fiction and nonfiction, i have just one question though, since you said jason is based on someone in real life, and you mentioned you had a husband i was wondering if there is a character in your blog based on your husband?? lol just curious, great job on the blog though. cant get enough

 

It was really cool to hear about your life. I've been thinking about fostering a dog as soon as my husband and I get a house so I was hoping you would talk more about that. We already own two small dogs but I've been interested in fostering a dog for a few years.

 

this is my first time commenting. I love your blog! its so addicting. i am so happy that you are open to suggestions and wont get mad. my enjoyment of the other blog aforementioned has greatly soured because of the author's attidude. However, cats are just as special as dogs! :) i had a cat growing up as a kid. she just died last year at being the ripe age of 13. it killed me like nothing else. i still tear up, but she was the greatest ever and my kitty soulmate. :)
Sheena
PS-its nice to hear about you. i am 23 too.

 

Danny- Some of my characters are a mash up of a couple people I know, so I'm sure one of the characters have some qualities of my husband, but I didn't write any with my husband in mind. Though, that was an interesting question and now I'm wondering if I'll try to fit him in some how.

To both Anonymous people, 1.) Cats are just as special! I didn't really touch on how Bubba's death affected me, he died a few weeks before Tater, but it was really hard, as well. I do love cats, and fostering cats can be equally as rewarding, if not more, seeing as how cats are often put down more than dogs in shelters. We currently have four cats, one is getting a new home Sunday, and I also am looking into how to help my Mom's neighborhood deal with their stray problem (most likely a trap, neuter/spay, release program to stop them from mating.) But I can also post how to make warm boxes that you can set out in the winter to help keep any strays in your neighborhood warm.

And Kenya, I got your comment through my email but I don't see it on here, but I can in the future post the authors notes and the story in different postings, and I can actually go back and fix them. I'll do it either today or sometime this weekend.

 

Well it's nice to see a guy commenting, I am assuming Danny you are a guy. I know Danny can be a girl's name too. Parvo was going going around the area where I live. The Humane Society had several strays come in with it. I called my vet to make sure my puppy was vaccinated. She is. And even though I didn't really want a dog when we got her (I'm more a cat person) she is now my best friend and love her to death. She's a cuddly dog and loves to be hugged.

 

OK, I lied, I'm not sure I will go back and fix the posts so that the authors note and the posting are separated. I would, but I'm not exactly sure how, so if I can figure it out, I will, and if I can't, then I'll just make sure any future posts they're separate. Sorry guys.

 

You are awesome...I love your story line...
And am actually considering fostering a dog...I am going to look into in my area...and see how my landlord feels but it would be nice to have a dog to take on walks and the like and to accompnay me on runs.

It was great to learn more about you...Good luck with the second baby.

Delia

 

Since there was writing about dogs and books, I thought I would mention two books for dog lovers. Marley and Me (the movie just doesn't cut it, I read the book three years ago) and then Saving Sprite. I just happenned upon the second book-not near as good as Marley (which made me laugh out loud and cry), but it's a decent read.

 

We have cats and dogs and kids...but i love how dogs and cats are so different! Sweet in thier own ways.
I like to read Robert Jordan, totally different than this type of thing but if you like LOTR's you might like his, imo!
I do have one question and i am not complaining just wondering...is this the post for today? I am wondering so i don't check on the weekend. if it is-great! if not-even better.
I hope you don't name your dh, maybe work his qualities in b/c then we would know who Ella ends up with, haha!
I am still rooting for drew even tho i feel it won't happen-wah! :)
Thanks again Laura for a great story!

 

Jana, I have read both those books! You're right, Marley and Me WAS better than the movie, and SUCH a tear jerker. You knew it was coming, but it still didn't prepare you. And Saving Sprite was also an OK read, not as good as Marley, I agree. A good cat book would be Dewey, it was cute and sweet. I'm trying to think of more, I know I've read a lot of them (I'm such a sucker for a dog book, they always freaking die though!), Dogs I have met and the people they found is also another good one, and so is The Dogs Who Found Me (they're both by the same author, if you read them, read Dogs who found me first.) You can order these books on the ASPCA website (along with Marley and Me) and I *believe* it'll help the ASPCA. Even if you don't order it, still check out the site, as you can sign a pledge to help fight animal cruelty, and sign up to get alerts in your area (like Ohio right now is trying to pass a Pit Bull ban, I got an alert when that was happening to sign a petition against it. I love bullies.) Another good coffee table book is Shelter Dogs. Another good book (not about animals) but that was WAY WAY WAAAAY better than the movie was Memoirs of a Geisha. Skip the movie, read the book, it's AMAZING. And I would recommend to anyone to foster. I do have some horror stories fostering, such as the beagle who refused to poop outside, and instead went to the top of my stairs and pooped in this HUGE crop circle... But mostly it was VERY rewarding, like seeing another Beagle go from SEVERELY underweight, back up into fighting form in just a couple of weeks, and despite being starved still be the sweetest dog ever. Well, speaking of dogs, it smells like my puppy just had an accident so... Maybe I'll post pictures of my animals. I also forgot to mention in addition to two dogs and four cats, we also have two dwarf frogs named Bob and Barker.

 

Yeah, I still don't know if dh will be in the story. And I'm not sure if Ella would even end up with him. I see her being similar to me, but also a different person if that makes sense?

As for the post, there wasn't one due today, there was one due tomorrow. But, I keep toying with posting one because I don't really want to have to post over the weekend. I don't like weekend postings, I don't feel like many people check them until Monday anyway, and weekends my husband has off, so we're usually running around. This weekend is a big OSU game (Anyone from Ohio? If so, you probably know ALL about how thick Buckeye blood runs.) and we're taking my son to the zoo Sunday. What do you guys think? Post today and not on the weekend, or what? Lemme know and I'll come back at 4:30 and see what y'all think.

 

Sorry laura i must have misunderstood when the post was due...Thanks for the correction. have a geat weekend...not from Ohio, Canada actually;)

 

loving this blog...

 

Anon- It's OK, right now I try to post every other day, but as I said, I don't really like to post on the weekends, I don't really feel like anyone reads them till Monday anyway. Right now I'm thinking about switching the schedule to Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and then on Wednesday doing a discussion type thing, where I write something on a various topic (my son, animals, whatever I feel like basically) and then you guys can share or chat or whatever. What do you guys think?

Oh, and thank you all so much for your praise/compliments. I love you guys!

 

My vote would be for a post today, but that's just because I am so anxious to see what happens next! I think you're right though, most people probably just check throughout the week. I work at a computer all week long, and on the weekends, I spend most of my time doing everything but sitting at a computer. Whichever works best for you though!

 

Laura, whatever is easist for you. I probably won't check back until tomorrow anyway, so either is good for me. Dog books a great dog book is "Old Yeller" I'm sure most of you have seen the movie. My daughter got the book from school and once again the movie does not do the book justice. And there are scenes in the book they didn't put in the movie, like this really cool bull fight, and I mean 2 bulls fighting and one gets thrown into a cart and rolls down a hill. Just picturing it is hilarious. Still ends in the same sad way...

 

I'm not trying to be mean to anyone. One blog I stopped reading because I didn't feel a.) that the blog was that great to begin with, b.) that she respected her readers enough to hear their opinions without being incredible nasty in return and c.) That her reasonings for not posting were actually legit.

I was just wondering which blog you are referencing here. I read all of them and it seems they are all having issues. This sounds like two of them. Which one was it?