A modge podge of things.

Sorry I'm a little late getting this up. I figured you guys wouldn't mind, since it's not an actual posting day. My night last night went like this: Screwed around on ebay, found two really cute knitting projects that made me wish I knew how to knit (I'm knitting stupid, I swear, many people have tried to teach me how, and I just don't get it!), then hubby and I decided to go to bed. I can't sleep (even though I'm tired) so I decide to play deal or no deal on my phone (stupidest game ever, yet so very addicting!) My son woke up, but wasn't really awake, the second I went in there, he laid down on my and fell asleep. I put him down. Ten minutes later, he woke up, again, just to be held.

My son has never been a good sleeper. He's been a pretty sound sleeper, once you GET him to sleep, but he slept through the night at 3 or 4 months for three or four days, and then just quit. It was as if he wanted us to know that yes, I CAN do it, I just don't want too. We tried everything, short of just letting him cry. Two different doctors told us to let him cry it out before I would do it. We had one night of hell, and then it was MUCH better. He was sleeping through the night, on his own, in his own room. He didn't need to be rocked to sleep, or sang to sleep. However, that was hard too, because while I loved finally getting the sleep (he was 9 months, at this point.) The only time he let me hold him anymore was when he woke up at night. He was too wiggly the rest of the time.

Anyway, back to last night. I decided to move him into bed with us. Which, I don't normally do. One, if he's too awake when I do it, he thinks it's play time and will get up and play. Two, it's really hard for my husband and I to sleep when he's in the bed. Three, I just don't want him to get used to it. But, last night I was thinking maybe he felt his shots from the other day, and just needed some Mommy-Daddy cuddle time.

It was a trick! The second I laid him in our bed he sat up and started chatting with the dog (who really is his best friend.) So I took him and laid him back in his room. He started crying, and didn't quit. So, I figured, maybe he's hungry. He doesn't eat in the night anymore, but there are occasions where he does, if I haven't fed him enough during the day. My husband went and got a sippy (we're done with bottles. We're also done with binkies. We got the short straw in the sleeping area, but when it came to bottles and paci's, my son didn't really want much to do with them.) and Cayden started drinking. I put him down with it (I know, I know, you shouldn't put your child down with anything other than water.) And went back to lay down. He was quiet, and I was just about to fall asleep when he started screaming. Jeremy told me just to let him go, but I decided to check on him.

Cayden had managed to open his sippy cup and dump it all over himself, his bed, and his lovey (the thing he can't sleep without.) So I then had to change him, find the spare lovey, and realize we didn't have another sheet clean to put on the bed, so find something to lay down.

Then I sat down with him and ended up rocking him to sleep. Which, again, I don't like to do, but every once in awhile it's nice.

He let me rock him on his birthday, too, only that wasn't so much of a struggle. He had had a big day - Doctors appointment, going out to lunch, presents, Grandparents, more presents, cake, going out to dinner... He was pretty tired, he let me hold him, sing him his lullaby (I've been singing him Return To Pooh Corner since before he was born.) and drifted right off to sleep. I came downstairs and cried.

When people speak of mother-hood, they never tell you how hard it is emotionally. They speak of lack of sleep, putting yourself last all the time, working double time, all that. But they never tell you about literally feeling your heart being ripped in half. Time goes by so fast. Everyone tells you that, but you can't know until it's your own child. I love who my son is now. I love the fact that he's more interactive, talking a little, about to walk... But I miss my baby. The one who would fall asleep and take a nap with me, or who would sit still for more than five seconds. It's like for everything you gain, you have to give up something.

I think it's especially hard with the first. You don't know what to expect, and you're so busy worrying and trying to do the right thing, trying to prevent every cry, even every whimper, that you don't know you really just need to slow down, breathe, and look at your child. It's like a blinked and here we are, and I missed the whole first year. I look back at pictures, and can't help but wonder, when did he go from that little baby, to a little boy?

My advice for new parents really is pretty simple: Any advice you get from people, is just what works for them. EVERY baby is different, and what works for one baby, may not work for another. Hell, what works on Cayden sometimes doesn't work for him all the time. I can only tell you what works for my child and our family. But, the one thing that I think remains true of all kids, is they grow up way too fast. All you can do is try to enjoy the moment while you have it.

Anyway, Cayden's birthday party went really well, despite the rain we had. We hired a photographer, which a lot of people thought I was insane for, but I'm really glad we did. For one, he was REALLY good, and REALLY cheap (50 bucks for the party, some prints, a CD of all the pictures, not copy-writed so we can print them anywhere, free editing, and since the weather was shitty, he's re-shooting for us next weekend for free. If you need a photographer and live around Columbus, let me know!) Anyway, I barely got any pictures on our camera, most of the ones taken were took by other people. I didn't have time, I was too busy running around, getting things ready, and trying to socialize a little. My Mother in law behaved, I think. I don't know, I wasn't around her much. She did decide to come, my suspicions are that she found out her brother was coming and had to show up to put in the "worlds best grandma" act. She did get mad at the photographer, after she saw the pictures, because she looks fat.

The woman has to be at LEAST 400 lbs, if not more. I'm not knocking her, I'm fat too. But if you're fat in real life? Chances are you're going to look fat in pictures.

I don't know. Lately I think my Mother in law has been trying to push my buttons more and more boldly. I dunno if I'm just paranoid, or perhaps it is true. In the beginning, she was great. I actually liked her, but we also barely saw her. When my son was born, the power struggle started. The night he was born she was "sick" but came anyway. They had to wait until my father in law got off work at 6, but didn't show up until`9. Why? Because she had to eat. She couldn't make something at home, or even pick up something in the drive thru (and didn't offer to get my husband anything. I wasn't allowed to eat at that point.)They went to a sit down restaurant. Which took forever (she's horrible about going out to eat with, she sends everything back and ALWAYS finds fault with the waiters/waitresses, and is rude to them.) So then they show up at 9, knowing I hadn't slept in close to two days, I had just had major surgery, and was sick with pancreatitus, and stayed until 11. And they only left because I called the nurse and told her that I thought I was leaking "down there" (ha, they moved faster than I've ever seen them to get outta there!) Then the next day she tried to say she was too sick to come, but my Father In Law was going to stop by. We told them fine, but we're not taking visitors past 8. He got off at 5, PLENTY of time for him to get over to the hospital to see the baby, you would think. Nope. He had to go home, take her out to dinner. 7:45 rolls around, he calls to see if it's too late for BOTH of them to come by. He then got made when my husband said that if they could make it in five minutes, they'd have ten whole minutes to see the baby. Then when we got home, it became a game. We'll be there at 6, and 8 o'clock would roll around and they still wouldn't be here. We'll be there at four, and they'd call at noon saying they were ready to stop by. They came on time one night, and sat here for hours, not helping with anything, not offering to do anything or bring anything, just sitting. Finally when my Mother in law started talking about what shows she likes to watch at nine (like she was going to stay to watch them.) My husband told them I needed to pump and they needed to leave. To which she answered "Oh, we can wait outside."

These aren't even the worst offenses, which would probably have to be her racism (She yelled at me for having one of Cayden's toys on a Spanish setting, she said Cayden didn't need to learn Spanish, that she didn't watch the cooking show Down Home With The Neeley's because it was too much "Mama and Papa" and she couldn't stand all that "black talk", that the old school Sesame Street had a parental warning on it because there was a black man in it, among other things.)

There's the basic questioning everything I do move that she does. Saying in one breath that she knows NOTHING about babies, but are you sure... Implying that I know LESS than nothing... She dropped my son and didn't get out of her chair to make sure he was OK. I mean there's more, we'll get into it sometime, I'm sure. My father in law really is amazing, he's just totally whipped.

All in all, she's really taught me what NOT to be like when it comes to being a Mother in Law, and I am really thankful for that.

Well, I think that's all I have to talk about. I may go back later and put some pictures in, of the party and a really cute one I took of Tater and the dog, but right now Cayden's getting impatient with me and trying to climb the barrier. But, what about you guys? What did your weekend look like? Do you have any horrible Mother in law, Mother, or just family/friends stories?


Oh, and a question for anyone who has ever used baby gates: Do you know if there's a baby gate that doesn't need to go straight across? We have an odd doorway in our house, and where there's a wall on one side we could mount it too, if we put it straight across it'll hit the bathroom door. If we put it at a little bit of an angle there's a wall, but I just don't know if they make gates like that?

5 comments:

Yahoo I'm first. LOL

I loved your story of you rocking your son. My dks are 5, and 7. I turned around and they went from babies to children. scary! I totally agree with you, what works for one doesnt always work for the others. AND yes my two kids couldn't be more different! it is scary. I also agree, take time to sit down and enjoy them because before you know it, they are older and you've missed it!
As for stories well as i mentioned my MIL is awesome! we agree on almost everything and she is so respectful all my inlaws are great. BUT my family is not. I mean they are as in they are not here much so, they don't influence alot of what i do. But my mom and I don't see eye to eye often. Here's my lastest "story"...
Last weekend My dh and I had to go to Toronto for the weekend for work. my mom always complains that she never sees my kids, so i called her and asked her to babysit. (I had never left my kids this long or been this far away before! stressed out is putting it nicely!)
So i thought i'd feel better leaving them with her-although our ideas of "safe" are different. ie. the kids walking accross the road to get the mail, she feels is really unsafe! but it is ok for them to sit on her lap and steer the car on the MAIN ROAD! HELLO! I don't think so!
Anyway she says, "sure!" I said, "great i only ask that you have your cell on you at all times so in case anything happens you can get help, as we will be 3 provinces away." Nope! she wouldn't agree, seriously! i was so upset and angry, i really didn't think i was being unrealistic, we live wayyy out in the country. Anyway my MIL took them instead, and they had a blast. But what do you think? I always feel guilty like i am asking too much....i don't know but what i do know is I'm the mom in the end I'm responsible for their safety.
Can't wait to hear some more stories...and see some pictures of your sweetie! Thanks for letting us share!

 

Jen you certainly weren't being unreasonable. And that is something all of us moms need to remember when we become grandmas. Trust the judgement of the child you raised to raise their own child. Give support when needed and/or advise when asked. Otherwise bite your tongue and let let your child raise their child. (of course we can all look forward to spoiling our grandchildren just a bit, and sending them home and laugh knowing they are being as bratty to their parents (our children) As our children were with us when they came back from grandmas) Ahhh sweet revenge haha

 

Jen, I don't think you're being unreasonable. My Mom and I have butted heads a few times. Her whole thing is "well I did this that and this with you guys, and you're all still alive!" And the thing is, times are different. They know now that it's best to keep your child rear facing in a car as long as possible, that it's best to put your baby to sleep on it's back, ect. And yeah I know that putting my son down with a blanket may not kill him, but why would you want to risk it? Anyway, I remember one particular thing when we started feeding him baby food. Our doctor told us to start with the veggies, do one at a time, and work up to the fruit. She said often times when you start with fruit, kids will refuse to eat their veggies (and you don't have to argue with me if you disagree, or if you fed your kid fruit first and they turned out fine. This is just the way we wanted to do things, as I said in the post you gotta what's best for YOU.) Anyway, my mom usually takes him overnight once a week. She works a ton and this way she gets to spend some quality time with him. So she had him, and I told her, right now we're feeding him green beans, don't give him anything else. I explained about allergy risks even though she's got her masters in Nursing, so I think she'd know.
Anyway, I come back the next day, and she finally blurts out that she fed him applesauce, and starts laughing about it. When I asked her why she did it, she told me he didn't like green beans.

I mean this made me angry on a couple levels. One, I had specifically told her, don't do that. And she did it anyway. Two, she admitted that she wasn't planning on telling me. Which means if he had an allergic reaction, we would have assumed it was to the green beans or something, which could have been wrong. Three, she said she did it because he didn't like the green beans. And I'm just like, there's going to be plenty of things he doesn't like. If he refuses to eat what you give him for dinner, are you going to give him ice cream?

My family also has a weight problem, and I just want to make sure he likes the good stuff. And I know applesauce is still good, it's not like she gave him chocolate, but still.

So I got upset, and Mom started on her "Oh I fed you this that and the other and you're still alive" crap. And I basically had to tell her, if I can't feel like you'll follow my directions while watching my child, you won't watch him.

I mean it may seem like such a small thing, but I just wanted to nip it in the bud. He's my son, I have to raise him, and so I think what you say should go. It's not like you were asking her to call every hour on the hour, just to leave her cell phone on. My cell phone is on all the time so what's the big deal?

 

Not sure if anyone answered your question, about to head to bed and didnt have time to read all the comments (dentist appt in the morning). There IS a gate that you can place at an angle. It is an Evenflo brand gate that I picked up from wal-mart for like $30 or so. Its an amazing gate and its double child-proofed (which means you'll have to show everyone how to use it at least 5 times, haha). We bought one for our hallway (which does the same as yours - wall on one side, door on the other) and it works great. It swings open in the middle so you don't have to move it everytime you want to go down the hall, just lift your feet two inches off the floor to step over the bottom support bar. I've worked in daycares with gates and I swear this is my favorite one ever!

As for cute family stories or whatever, I do in fact have one. Your start off about how kids grown way too fast reminded me of it (my daughter is almost 2....2!!!)

So there I was sitting on the couch when my daughter was like 5 months old, giving her a bottle. Usually I put her in my lap and then prop a pillow under the bottle (it was akward to hold at an angle) but I started putting her hands around it to hold it up instead. The first day she did this by herself, and was my brother and I home alone and I was just sitting there like everyone other time. So she holds it all by herself and I go "Rob! Rob! She's holding the bottle by hersel! Isnt she awesome?" and I was laughing and smiling...then I just watched her for a minute as she was drinking and I suddenly started crying! My brother was like, whats wrong? And I literally sobbed out "She's gonna leave me tomorrow!!!!" and just kept bawling, lol.
They really do grow up way too fast. I had to measure her height the other day for some medical stuff and found out she's only 1/2 an inch shy of 3ft! She's gigantic! It's hard to imagine that she used to be only 7lbs and 21 inches and fit inside of me, but I have visual proof! lol.
Anyway, wanted to share the story and the bit about the gate, hope you have a good night and look forward to reading a post tomorrow while the numbing wears off on my mouth! haha.

 

I have a feeling you and I are in pretty similar situations, Laura. I'm 22 and have a one year old son (actually, he's about 13 months now... time really does fly!) and I have an evil MIL. When my husband and I started dating I was 17 and he was 19 and both she and her husband (husband's step-father) referred to me as "she's a minor" and "she needs to go home now".

She tried to take control of my wedding and both she and her husband called to bitch me out because I was having a tiny wedding (40 guests including wedding party) and didn't want children there (long story, but they both made me cry).

I also think she did a terrible job raising her three boys. She would actually do my husband's homework when he was in high school because she didn't want him to fail (if he had failed and had to repeat a grade, I'm positive he would have learned his lesson) and if it weren't for the Army he wouldn't feel even the tiniest bit responsible for his actions. His two brothers are still completely irresponsible... His youngest brother (half brother) actually backed his father's SUV into our car when we were visiting them last month and his parents decided to say it was his father (husband's step-father) who did it so he wouldn't get in trouble. Seriously? He'll be 18 this month! He needs to learn some responsibility! And my husband's other brother (23) is super creepy... he dates teenage girls! And I don't mean 18 or 19... like 16 or 17 - ew!

Aaanyway... where I was going with that is while we were visiting them last month (they live in MN and we're in TX thank God), she kept hinting that I was a horrible mother because I wasn't doing everything the way SHE did it. And we threw a birthday party for my son while we were there and she completely took control of it. The party was supposed to be from 2-6pm and at 5 on the dot she started cleaning everything up, with all my friends still there! So, in revenge, everyone stayed super-late (like, 10am the next morning) and got drunk and we were all super rowdy... it was a good time.

But yeah, I totally feel your pain.