Flashback: Even at my worst I'm best with you

Drew came back from the lake by himself. I watched him carefully, and when he caught me he just shook his head and shrugged. I wanted to talk to him about it, and ask where Jarren was, but Jacob had been stuck by my side all morning. It wasn’t annoying in the least, it was fun. I still felt a little ache whenever I looked at Jason and Kayla, but I figured that would happen for awhile, and it was time to move on. Drew came over to the table where Nick, Toni, Jacob and I were sitting. I gave up my seat to him, planning on going to grab a water and go look for Jarren, but Jacob seemed to have other plans, and pulled me down onto his lap.
We started a game of euchre, with me and Jacob playing as one person. I kept looking up to search for Jarren, but there was still no sight of her. We played a couple games, and then the boys decided to cook lunch. Jarren still wasn’t back, so I decided to go look for her while Jacob was busy helping the other guys.
I found her on the other side of the lake, sitting on a log and staring out at the water.
“You were right.” She said, not turning towards me when I approached. “He didn’t remember.”
“Oh hon, I’m so sorry.” I said sitting next to her. Jarren could be annoying, and a lot of her drama I felt she brought on to herself. But, she was my friend, and she did still have feelings, and I knew those feelings were hurt now.
“It’s just… Not fair, you know? It’s like. I get him not liking me. But why play with my emotions like that?” She said, throwing a rock into the water.
The day had grown warmer, and I was sweating a little under Jacobs sweatshirt, so I stood, shrugged it off, and tied it around my waist.
“He didn’t mean to Jarren. You know Drew, you know he’s not like that. And I’m not saying he wasn’t a dick to do so, but he was drunk. It was a dick move, but not one that was done on purpose.”
“I know that.” She snapped. “It’s just. It’s like, I liked Drew, he didn’t like me. I was starting to get over it, and then this happens. And I thought, hey, maybe playing hard to get worked. And, it almost would have been easier if this WAS done on purpose. Like I could say ‘oh he’s just a jerk, I don’t want a jerk.’ And leave it at that. But, I can’t even do that.” She slumped her head into her hands. “And how am I supposed to go back there? Everyone knows what’s going on.”
“No one knows what’s going on, Jarren. They were all drinking last night, so I doubt they remember.” I paused, not wanting to say this next part, but knowing that I should. “But, if you want to leave, we can go home.”
She paused for a minute, reaching down to pull the few blades of grass that had popped up stubbornly from the dust under her feet. I knew she was mulling it over, and I was terrified she’d say yes. I didn’t want to go, didn’t want to cut my time with Jacob or Jason short, but I understood her position, and if she said yes, I would leave.
“No. I don’t want to go. For one, it wouldn’t be fair to you, and for two, well. It would look like I was running away.” She sighed deeply.
“Jarren, I think you should just go back and have a good time.”
“That’s easy for you to say.” She said, pouting.
“I have to watch Jason with Kayla, and I’m still having a good time.” I pointed out.
“Yeah, but you also have Jacob falling over himself for you. You always have guys fawning over you.”
I laughed. “So not true Jarren. I haven’t had a boyfriend in a long while.”
“Yeah, because you haven’t let anyone be your boyfriend. Not because nobody wanted to be.”
I sighed. This was a pointless argument. Jarren was one a one-upper type of person, especially when it came to who had it worse. Maybe she was right, maybe I was luckier in love then she was. But, even if she was wrong, I knew she would never stop arguing that point, so I decided to give it up.
“Well.” I said, standing and dusting off my butt. “They’re fixing lunch, and I’m hungry, so I’m going back. You coming with me?”
Jarren didn’t say anything, but when I started walking, she joined me. When we reached the campsite, Jarren went into the tent, I assume to change out of pajamas. I looked over at Drew and mouthed “be nice”. He nodded back in return.
She came out, a smile plastered on her face. She kept her distance from Drew, but joked and laughed with the other group. Drew looked at me, and shot his eyebrows up as if to ask what was going on. I shrugged, and turned back to my food.
The day had warmed considerably, and we decided to try swimming. I hadn’t packed a bathing suit, but Drew had packed extra clothes (he always did, he was such a girl about packing and ALWAYS over packed.) and handed out shorts and tee shirts to all the girls. Jarren took hers, not even bothering to say thanks or looking at Drew.
“Must have not been that good.” Jason cracked, laughing. He stopped short when I shot him a look.
We got to the dock, and I dipped a toe in.
“Uh uh, no how, no way. I told you guys it was nuts to swim in September. I’m so not getting it.” I said, backing away from the water. The warmth in the air had done nothing to warm the lake, it was freezing to the point of pain.
Of course, my adamant refusal just made me a target. I should have been smart, and instead of whining sat down like Toni did, with just my feet in the water. I should have at least known what was coming.
“Oh Ella, c’mon, don’t be a wuss.” Jacob said, slinging his arm around me.
“I’m not getting in.” I said, crossing my arms across my chest.
The next thing I knew, I was flying through the air, and landed with a whack and a splash into the water. I didn’t even have time to scream, and when I surfaced, the water was too cold to scream. I felt like it was too cold to breathe.
A second later, I was joined by Kayla, who I guess either hadn’t been smart enough to run, or quick enough. I could hear Jarren squealing as she ran, and Toni threatening Nick. It didn’t help. There were two more splashes, and both of them were in the water with us. The boys stood on the dock, posing and high-fiving each other. I eyed Drew, and nodded my head slightly at Jacob and Jason, who were on the edge of the dock, cheering and laughing at us. He got what I was saying, ran up behind them, and pushed them in. And then, like the good sport he was, cannonball-ed in after them.
The girls set about getting their revenge, and, having more time to adjust to the water temperature, succeeded at first. We splashed and dunked the boys, laughing the whole time. Even Jarren broke out of her funk, laughing and dunking Drew.
We splashed around, dunking each other, swimming, playing chicken and marco-polo. Finally, we all got out, laying side by side on the dock, and let the sun warm and dry us. It really was the perfect end to a perfect day, and I wish more than anything, someone could have taken a picture of all of us lying side by side. But, it’s still a memory I’ll never forget.
It had to end, because one: I can’t stand being in wet clothes and two: we were hungry and needed to eat. We went back to the tents, the boys waiting patiently while the girls changed, and the girls going to sit down. Jason came out and built a fire, and the rest of the guys joined in to help him prepare dinner.
We had gotten steaks for the last night, to celebrate, along with potatoes and corn on the cob. I’ve said it before, there’s nothing better than food cooked over an open flame. Nobody talked while we ate, too busy to enjoy the food. The boys had a few beers, but were nowhere near drunk. They knew they had to get up early tomorrow in order to pack up and hit the road, and I think they wanted to be able to remember this night. We packed up as much stuff as we could into the cars tonight, and sat around the fire again, drinking, singing, telling stories again. Someone busted out a bag of marshmallows, and we made smores.
Jacob looked at me, not speaking, and nodded his head towards the lake, I stood, and he followed. Neither one of us spoke until we reached the dock.
“Hey you.” He said quietly, pulling me towards him. We kissed for a little while, his hands on my waist, my arms around his shoulders. He looked at me seriously when he pulled away.
“Lots of military guys move way too fast, I think. They think they have to secure a girlfriend, or a wife, as soon as possible. I don’t want to do that. I like you, El, but I don’t want to ask you to be my girlfriend just because I’m leaving.”
I nodded, looking out at the water, not sure how I felt about all this.
“I didn’t expect you too.” I finally answered.
“I know, I’m just saying. I would love the chance to get to know you better. Is it OK, if I write or email you? Maybe call every once in awhile if I get the chance?”
I smiled. “Of course, I’d like that.”
We stood there a little while longer, but I don’t think either of us wanted to be away from the group for long. It’s not that I didn’t want to spend time with Jacob, but I wanted to spend time with everyone. As much time as we had left.
At some point, someone suggested it would be easier if we tore down one of the tents tonight, and all bunked together. It would be one less thing clean up and pack up in the morning, but I think again, the real reason was, none of us were really ready to leave each other. We wanted to spend as much time as possible together, even if we were just sleeping during that time.
The boys tore down the tent and packed it up while us girls tried to stuff the other tent with wall to wall air mattresses. It was kind of like being in a bounce house.
We headed to bed not too long after, laying down and talking some more, playing footsie with each other, stealing blankets and laughing. Finally, one by one we lost people, until it was down to just Jason and I.
I don’t know how we ended up next to each other, but we did. It was Nick, Toni, Drew, Kayla, Jason, me, Jacob, and Jarren. Kayla was facing away from Jason, snoring lightly, and Jacob had his arm slung around me, breathing deep and evenly. I turned towards Jason, only checking to see if he was still awake. I didn’t think so at first, until I felt his hand on my face, tracing it gently. He ran his thumb down my jawline and over my lips gently, as if he was trying to commit every feature to memory. Finally, with his hand in mine, we both fell asleep.

12 comments:

Great post, as usual.
I don't like Jason, I feel like he doesn't really want Ella but doesn't want her to be with anybody else either. So overpossessive.

 

Again, Laura, you capture the universal feelings everyone has at "Farewell-for-now" moments. So bittersweet, and almost too much emotion and thinking packed into a small period of time. It's simultaneously painful and life-affirming; you nailed it. Very good.

 

Great post. I love both Jacob and Drew. Drew seems like the guy next door who is like a best friend and you can't think of romantically. Jacob is so sweet and respectful. Uh...LOVE IT! mum

 

Loved this post! I can't wait to find out what happens coming up. I want to know what happened between Jacob and Ella!!!

 

wow poor Kayla, seriously she is dating this guy who is into his old flame/best friend, then she marries him...

 

augh i love jacob but i just get this nagging in the back of my head. lines from other posts...how he's not a lifer, and yet in the "now" posts you don't hear ella speak of him...i don't know, i just feel...like something bad happens to him, jason comes back but jacob doesn't. idk...i hope im wrong.

Awesome post, loved the story so much emotion! wow is all i have to say! thanks Laura!

 

I feel really bad Kayla. Maybe later Jason becomes a better boyfriend/husband. I'm with the last anonymous, I have a bad feeling too that something happens to Jacob.

 

Great blog. I just caught up after seeing the link that mum posted at View From This Chair (I still check that blog every few weeks to see if she's coming back). I'm another reader that's miffed 15 Miles has seemingly closed shop.

I used to live in Ohio and now live in Indianapolis. I've made the drive back and forth more times then I can count. I am curious what cities exactly the characters live in. Ella lives in Columbus, Ohio, right? That was mentioned in one post, but where does Drew live in Indiana? I think it was mentioned that it's a four hour drive between. That right?

Also, in the tone of constructive criticism, I'd like to recommend that you break up the paragraphs and conversations more often with line breaks (a space between paragraphs or a space between Ella's comments and another character's response). It's harder to read with it jammed together without spacing. Just a thought...

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your story with us.

 

BearCat- Drew kinda lives in Anywhere Town Indiana, lol. I changed the state that the real life Jason and Drew lived in, but I don't really know a lot about Indiana, that's why I don't tend to go into depth about it. I can go into depth about Columbus, because that's where I live, but.

As far as the spacing issues, I know it sucks. It's indented and spaced correctly in the original document, and it started out that way on here when I copy and paste, but when I hit submit, it turns into what you see on the page. I don't really now exactly how to go about fixing it.

 

mmm, not into depth, IN-depth. Sorry, I think I'm getting a sinus infection and my head feels full.

 

good post!
i see what you guys mean, about feeling bad for kayla, but i mean, she HAD to have known that SOMETHING was up between jason and ella, right? and she chose to get involved with him anyway? i mean, everyone knows that somethings happened btwn jason and ella, is kayla really that oblivious?

as for jacob, i didnt even think twice about him not being in present day posts - HOLY CRAP you guys have scared me now into thinking hes not coming back -- im hoping they just fizzle out, realize it was a fling and maybe he finds someone else. I'm REALLY hoping for that - LAURA don't make me cry!!!

as always, great post =)

 

Yes, Laura...I echo what Marcie was pleading about: I don't want to be all sad and mopey after reading about something horribly sad happening to Jacob. Let the poor guy just fade off into the sunset with someone else...pllllllease. Ok...I'm finished begging; I know you're entitled to do whatever you want to with your characters. Poooor Jacob. (Alright - I really am done now).