Some days you're the windsheild... Some days you're the bug

I was shaking as I walked away from Jarren, but I felt better. Like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. To say I was surprised when I felt something yank on the back of my head and pull me to the ground was an understatement. For a moment, the wind was knocked out of me, and I was so confused to what had happened. Did my hair catch on something? Then I felt a fist connect with my face and I realized what was happening. I was getting the crap beat out of me.

It sounds stupid now, but it didn’t occur to me that it was Jarren. That first blow had made me see stars, so I couldn’t SEE anyone. I thought maybe my house had been broken into or something. Jarren was crazy, but I had never seen her get violent. Anyway, the mystery person had me pinned as a few more blows connected… Finally my brained cleared enough to tell me that I should fight back, but before I could, I felt the weight being lifted off me.

“What the hell?” Seth’s voice yelled. “What are you doing?”

Whoever the mystery person was didn’t answer. I heard the front door slammed and assumed they had bolted.

“Ugh, don’t let them get away Seth!” I yelled. I could feel my eye swelling already, and the taste of blood swam in my mouth.

“Are you OK? What the hell was she doing?” Seth asked as he gently helped me up.

“She?”

“Yeah, Matt’s girlfriend. Jarren? I thought you two were friends, what the hell was that?”

“Ugh.” I said, gingerly touching my face and the spot on my head with the hair had pulled. “I don’t know. She came over and I told her off… I’m just so sick of her. I mean she’s always been a little crazy, but even this… This is really nuts.”

“I’m calling the police and then we’re taking you to the hospital…”

“You can call the police, but I don’t need a hospital Seth. It’s just a few bruises, I’m fine. She caught me by total surprise… I wish I could have gotten a shot in on her.” I wasn’t a hardcore fighter, and because of my job with kids… Well, I couldn’t go around threatening to kick peoples asses or anything like that. But, thanks to self defense classes my Dad made me take, I could handle my own if the situation called for it. The attack had blindsided me though, and I didn’t have a chance in hell of responding.

Suddenly, the whole situation hit me. Jarren had gotten angry. She had jumped me. She had never done anything like that, but she did this time, and if Seth hadn’t come over…

Would she have stopped? I mean I don’t think she would have tried to kill me or something… But I also didn’t think she’s jump me either. Would she have stopped? What the hell was wrong with her anyway?

I got up and walked to the bathroom to access the damages. They weren’t really that bad. My eye was puffy and red, I’d have a shiner by morning. My lip was split and swollen. That was pretty much it. Certain parts of my face and head felt tender to the touch, but she hadn’t gotten in many good punches before Seth came in
.
Again, a chill ran through me. What would happen if he hadn’t come in?

Seth walked into the bathroom, and gently wrapped his arms around me from behind.

“You really OK hon?” He asked, gently kissing the side of my head.

“I don’t know…” I said, my own voice shaking. “I just… It didn’t occur to me that it was her, ya know? I mean yeah, that was the most logical conclusion, but she’s never acted like that before. She’s assaulted me verbally before… But never physically. I just didn’t think… And now all I can think is what she would have done if you haven’t come in? I mean I don’t think anything… But then again, I just didn’t think…” I wasn’t making much sense. I knew that. But Seth nodded anyway.

“Let’s get you dressed. The police are on their way, OK?”

I nodded, and Seth gently helped me into an oversized tee shirt that I actually think belonged to Matt and had gotten mixed in with my clothes, and a pair of sweatpants. I looked awful, but who cared, right?

The whole situation was surreal as I was being questioned by the police. They took pictures of my face, asked me what happened a million times, and ask for a description of Jarren. The more I told the story though, the calmer I became. Of course, I was, until my Dad showed up.

“Ella!” He called, coming in the house. He found me quickly in the living room, and his eyes grew wide at the sight of my face. “What the hell Ella?” Then he noticed Seth. “Did you…” He questioned, advancing on Seth.

“No Daddy. That’s my boyfriend… Seth. Seth, this is my Dad.”

“Nice to meet you, Mr. McLean. I wish it were under better circumstances…” Seth trailed off as my Dad glared at him.

“Who did this?”

“Jarren. Believe it or not.” I said. The look on my Dad’s face told me he didn’t believe me.

“Can I talk to my daughter, alone?” He asked, glancing at Seth and the police officers.

“Sure. We’re about done here.” One of the officers said. “Seth, we have a few more questions for you…” And with that, they exited the room.

“Ella… Jarren did do this, did she?”

“Oh Dad.” I said, laughing. Then I winced as my split lip throbbed. “I know. It sounds insane, doesn’t it? I mean Jarren’s always been a little off, but I wouldn’t think she’d snap like that either. I dunno, she was just so angry… We had an argument and when I told her I didn’t want to be her friend anymore… I turned away, and she grabbed me from behind. My first thought wasn’t that it was her even. But Seth got her off of me and saw her run away.”

“I mean that’s awfully convenient, isn’t it Ella? For him to just show up?”

“Dad… We had a date. I knew he was coming over. He has no reason to want to hurt me. And it would be totally odd if he landed a few blows and then stopped for no reason. I mean this isn’t some lifetime movie…”

“I know… I know.” He said, sitting down next to me. “It’s just hard to believe that someone we welcomed into our home, could do this to you…” He said, gingerly touching my cheek.

I shrugged. “Again, you and Mom both told me that Jarren was jealous of me. I guess she finally went over the edge.” I paused for a moment. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Your Mom made some meatballs. She wanted me to bring them to you… I tried to call…”

“Yeah.” I said, smiling a half smile, leaving the bad side of my lip turned down. “We’ve been a little busy over here.”

“I’ll say. So… That’s the new beau huh? Will he be spending the night?”

“Dad…” I whined.

“I just don’t like the idea of you out her by yourself, Jarren could come back. If he’s not staying I want you to come stay with me and Mom… Tomorrow I’ll come out here and install some flood lights and an alarm… I should have done that awhile back, when your car got vandalized.”

“Daddy, I don’t think she’ll be back. She probably realizes how much trouble she’s in now. Jarren’s nuts, but she’s not stupid. She’s probably trying to figure out how to get out of this whole thing.”

“I still would feel better…”

“I know Daddy.” I said, kissing him on the cheek, even though it hurt. “You can install all the gadgets you want. And I’ll ask Seth to spend the night. I’m sure he will. I’d feel better having someone here too. But, Matt will be home later too… So even if Seth doesn’t stay, I won’t be alone.”

“Alright. Well. I better get back to your Mom. I’ll be over tomorrow, bright and early, so don’t be surprised. “

“Alright, well… I’ll probably be at work anyway. Don’t let Mom freak out.”

“Ella, you can honestly go to work. Have you seen yourself? You should stay home and rest.”

“Dad, we’re not getting into this. I have to go to work. It’s a busy time, and I’ve already taken time off, and I’m taking vacation over spring break to go… So, it’s settled. I’m going. I’ll probably hole up in my office all day doing paperwork, it’s no big deal. Go home, OK? I gotta make sure you didn’t scare my boyfriend away.”

“Ha.” Dad said. “If only it were that easy.” He studied me for a moment, and I knew he was worried. I had always been a little bit closer to my Dad than my Mom. He babied me sometimes, but I didn’t resent it like I tended to do when my Mom babied me.

“Daddy, I’m fine. Promise. It’s just like in second grade when I fell off my bike?”

“When you knocked your tooth out? That was an adventure.”

“Becca searched that alley for hours, searching for my tooth. She felt so bad.”

“Well. It was her bike you were riding. And you two were racing… It kind of was her fault.”

I laughed. “Daddy, I’m the one who fell. It’s not like she pushed me or anything. But anyway, it’s just like that. I’m a little scraped up, but no real damage done. I’m sure my face will heal. Maybe it’ll even look better.”

“Not possible.” Seth said, walking back into the room. “Again, Mr. McLean, I’m so sorry we had to meet under these circumstances.”

“Yeah. Me too. I’m just glad you were here… Watch out for her, OK?” Dad asked, looking Seth in the eye.

“Sure thing.” He said.

My Dad stood, and put out his hand. Seth shook it. He turned and gave me a hug.

“The meatballs are on the table by the door. Get them in the fridge before they go bad. OK?”

“Alright Daddy. Tell Mom I’m fine. Don’t exaggerate. I don’t need her flying over here to see me herself tonight, OK?”

“Fine. But I’m not making any promises about keeping her at home. You know how your Mother is…”

“Yeah. I know.” I said, nodding.

Seth and I walked him to the front door and watched as he drove away.

“Well. I’m glad that’s over.” Seth said.

“Yeah, well. It’s not over yet. When Matt gets home I’m going to have to explain the whole thing to him all over again.”

5 comments:

I wanted to see Ella kick the crap outta Jarren. Guess she didn't really get a chance. Good thing Seth came along. I don't think that Jarren would have went too far, but does sound like she was trying to do some damage.

 

Too bad Ella didn't get some hits in herself. But at least Seth came and Ella didn't balk at calling the police.

 

Ya Jarren is so sketchy I'm glad she called the police otherwise things could get too tangled up. Now there is at least some evidence of what really happend.

 

): Come on Ella! Fight back! hahah. I'm glad she called the police before things had a chance to get out of hang. I have a feeling Matt's gonna flip. Hopefully nothing drastic happens..