Whatever Wednesday: Birthday's, zoo's and doctor's appointments... Oh my

Hubby's birthday went quite well. He got money from his parents, which went to getting license plates and renewing his license (fun stuff, eh?) but they also got him a blue ray player, which I know he's wanted, especially since I made him sell is ps3 to replace the stolen Christmas presents we had. They took us out to a really nice dinner, where we ate AMAZING sour kraut balls. It was a smokehouse, and while I'm usually a big meat and bbq fan, about halfway through dinner I could barely stomach to look at dinner anymore. One of my friends on babycenter said that for her last pregnancy, they quit eating out. She said it wasn't worth it to pay for dinner only to get sick after. We may be at that point, which is a bummer. I'm obviously a huge fan of food :-) Anyway after dinner, they came back and I was feeling dumb because I hadn't even thought to make hubby a cake, but it didn't matter, cuz the in laws bought them a cake from this place called Resch's (I may have spelled that wrong) Anyway, this place just got voted number one bakery in Columbus by readers of the 614 magazine, and it's SO amazing. Seriously, if you're in Columbus, look it up. It's kinda in not so great of an area, but SO worth it.

Here's my newest problem with my inlaws. My mother in law keeps asking me if we have a middle name for a girl yet. She doesn't bug me about the boys, which makes me think she has a suggestion for a middle name. I'm guessing she wants us to have the middle name after her Mom (Cayden's middle name is after her Dad.) I keep telling her we don't have a middle name... Because we plan to use my Mom's, and I want to keep it a secret till after the birth. But I get the feeling it's really going to hurt her feelings/piss her off that we're not using a name suggestion from her family. I mean, at first I didn't care. I'm sorry - we named Cayden after her Dad and it's ALL I hear about... So what's so wrong about taking a name from my family? But Mary Anne... She can be kinda nuts. And I'm just not looking forward to telling her. I know we may not even have to worry about it... The baby may be a boy. But I just wondered... Any other Mama's have name drama? How did you handle it?

Alright... The zoo... I love my zoo. I'm a huge animal lover, a HUGE fan of Jack Hanna, and our zoo just got ranked number one in the country, which was amazing. It really is just a fantastic place. Jack's working on getting Panda's back, and he's upgrading a lot of things, and it's just... A really nice zoo. I haven't been to a ton of zoo's, but it is the nicest of all the one's I've been too. Anyway, we've been waiting for them to open this new exhibit - the polar frontier. We were getting polar bears! It finally opened Thursday. I didn't think we'd be able to go opening day... Jer really wanted to go and I felt bad going without him, but he ended up getting off work in time. So we made it! I am glad we waited too... I looked at some of the news coverages, and the crowds in the AM were INSANE. But, by the time we got there in the afternoon, it had died down a lot. There were still a lot of people there, but a tolerable level where we still got to see things. The polar exhibit? AMAZING. Seriously gorgeous. I wish I was a polar bear. The brown bear exhibit was also really nice, and the bears loved it - they were fighting in the water when we came by. I'll post a few pictures... We didn't get to take many, because after my brand new nice camera bit the dust (Cayden put it in the dog's water bowl) my Mom got me another camera. Not as nice, but still amazing that she bought me one. Only this one takes two batteries. Which, I actually kind of like, because I don't have to worry about charging the camera. However, I do have to worry about batteries... Jeremy bought me some, only they were dollar store ones. And we should have realized that when you got 12 for a dollar that they were going to be crap. So, the batteries died (and the back up set I brought) so we didn't get as many as I liked. But still, we did get some good ones of the polar bears!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


As for the doctor... Well, I didn't get to see the doctor. For those of you who have never been pregnant, sometimes you don't see your doctor right away (a lot of doctors make you wait to come in anywhere between 8-12 weeks. Sometimes they'll have you in earlier, but it's just a visit with the nurse. Sometimes even if you're seen between 8-12 weeks, it's a nurse visit.) Anyway, even though I knew this, I wish they would have told me that today was just going to be a nurses appointment. I assumed that since they didn't say anything, I'd be seeing the doctor. So I had my husband take off work so he could watch my son while I was being examined. If I had known it was just a nurses thing, I wouldn't have brought him. So he took the time (and money) off to watch me pee in a cup and get some blood drawn.

So that was a bummer. I do go back Friday to get my TB test read and to get an ultrasound, but now I'm struggling to find a sitter to watch Cayden while I'm having my ultrasound. But, the Nurses appointment went well. They ran another urine pregnancy test and it was still positive, so that's always a good thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my TB test doesn't pop. It shouldn't, but I just had a friend who's test came back as a false positive and she had to go through a bunch of hassle to prove it wasn't, so now I'm paranoid, ha ha.

I hope y'alls week is going well! I'm starting to feel less sick, so I'm hoping it's going away... We may be bumping up posts soon! I just wanna wait and make sure I really do feel better first!

10 comments:

Sorry I was having issues commenting. Anyhoo, I have only been to 2 zoo's 1 in Baltimore, md and 1 in Washington DC. DC has Pandas, but Baltimore is nicer. Your Polar Bear Exhibit is amazing. Glad you are feeling better.

 

glad you're feeling a little better!

the polar bear exhibit looks awesome!! I haven't been to the zoo in so long, but I think we're gonna go to NYC on Saturday and i might be able to convince my b/f to go to the central park zoo. it's his birthday, so i kinda gotta make him think the zoo was his idea haha

there's nothing wrong with taking a name from each side of the family for middle names. my cousin took my Nonno's name for one twins middle name and her husband's Grandfather for the other twins middle name. kept the peace lol

on a personal note: I have a job interview at 2:30 today and could really use all the good luck wishes possible. It's not that I hate my job now, it's just not challenging anymore and this position would be much more challenging and fun... not to mention it pays about 5k more than i make now! haha so cross your fingers everyone!

 

I LOVE the Columbus zoo! I was just there over the weekend and saw the polar bears, and you are right, its an amazing exhibit. The entire zoo is wonderful,and I love that Jack is trying to keep it as natural as a habitat for the animals as possible in a zoo :)

 

Ha- Spoke too soon on feeling better. I think I'm coming down with a cold. It's either that or the crazy weather we're having. Yesterday it was raining and cold, then got warm and sunny, now it's back to rainy and cold. I have that gummy feeling back in my throat which usually is a signal that a cold is coming, ugh.

NKOTB- I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and sending good vibes that you get that job!

Anon- We went to Memphis to visit a friend, and they had their hippos in a concrete enclosure! It was crazy to me. I guess I'm just spoiled! Even the cinci zoo has their polar bears in concrete. The new polar exhibit is amazing, and I do love Jack. I love the fact too that there are real fish in the water. I think it'll be so fun to watch them catch a fish!

 

Name drama -- my husband has had a girls name picked out for years and is really insistent about it. I love the first name (Grace), but don't feel so hot about the middle name (Morgan).
I deal with it by not dealing with it. I know its cliche, but I truly just want a healthy, safe baby born. I try not to stress about the other stuff -- not that it doesn't matter, but I'm trying not to stress about it. I figure that when she's born and I've done all the work, I'll get my way. :) I would like -- and so would my family -- to somehow incorporate a family name from my side as a middle name. But again, it just isn't something I'm hell bent on.
I went insane today over a furniture delivery from UPS (after scheduling a delivery time, they came early and left $1,000 worth of furniture just sitting in our driveway. WTF) When I realized that it was starting to really piss/stress me out, I really had to dial it down. Just wanting to get through the next two months and remember what important. :)

 

Baby names-
My brother and his wife had twins last year, a boy and a girl. They absolutely refused to discuss names, they said they knew what the names would be and we would all find out when they were born. At the time it drove me crazy, I kept asking for just initials so I could get stuff monogrammed and they refused. In the end, we were all so excited that the babies were finally here that the names weren't a big deal. Fortunately both grandma's had the same middle name, which became the girls middle name. The boy has the same middle name as my brother. I was just happy that they picked first names that don't have bad associations for me :)

 

Naming babies can be pretty tricky, especially if, like Kristin says, they immediately remind you of someone you have negative feelings towards. I have plenty a name I would NEVER name my kids for that reason.

For a girl, I love the name Olivia, but my bf HATES it ("It's Popeye's girlfriend!!" he says) and Astrid. Of course some names are pretty different in Spanish than in English, so I would like a name that carries over borders. I've never really thought about boys' names since I've always wanted girls, but who knows! I'll probably end up with 3 boys or something, lol!

 

haha Fenhu- im the same way. i want bilingual names but my bf HATES EVERY. SINGLE. name i pick for a boy. i have my girls names picked out - and Olivia is one of them! Any suggestions for bilingual boys names? i just know im going to end up having 5 boys and ill have to name them Boy X, Y, Z... sighhhh

 

Daniel and David work in english and in spanish. I think most names that starts with a J is pretty much intransferable like Jose =/= Joseph Juan =/= Jon, etc...
I actually like the name Daniel a lot... DIBS!! lol!