My stupid mouth has got me in trouble, I said too much again

To say I was angry was an understatement. I watched as Jarren hung on to Greg, flirting with a guy she had told Matt scared her only a few hours before hand. I made a move to go over to her, but Seth held me back.

“What are you doing El?”

“I’m gonna go over there and kick her ass!” I said, shrugging him off of me.

“Hey, wait. Hold on now, Ella…” I stopped, and turned around to look at him.

“What?”

“You don’t even know who she’s with… He could be just a friend.”

“You don’t flirt with friends like that, especially when you have a boyfriend.” I countered.

“Some girls are just more… Affectionate than others.”

“Yeah, right.” I scoffed. “Besides, I know who that is. It’s my ex, and it’s supposed to be her ex too.”

“What are you talking about?” Seth asked, confused.

I sighed, and glanced at where Greg and Jarren had been. Of course, they had moved on, and I had no idea where they went. I walked over to a bench and sat down, spilling the whole story to Seth.

“I went out with Greg, for like a minute. He was a nice guy, but it just wasn’t right. Anyway, then Jarren sprung it on me that she was dating him. That’s why we stopped talking the first time… Well, one of the reasons. She’s just kind of sleazy, and she does a lot of backhanded things…. I dunno, it’s a long story. I wasn’t angry that she was dating Greg, but she just kind of randomly invited me over and sprung it on me, I thought it was just kind of… Anyway, that’s not the point.” I said, seeing Seth’s confused face. “She dated Greg, but told me they broke up, and then she started dating Matt. She told me like a week ago that Greg came back and wanted to be friends. I told her it was a bad idea… I trust Greg but I don’t trust her. Anyway… Matt came home all pissed off today… I guess Jarren says Greg showed up yelling at her or something. She promised Matt she was done talking to him.”

“And clearly, she’s not.” Seth finished for me, looking over to where they had been standing. “What are you going to do?”

I shrugged. “I mean, I don’t really want to be involved. I know it’s just going to erupt into all this drama, and I don’t want to hurt Matt… But on the other hand, I do think Matt has a right to know. I’m just not sure he’ll believe me. I tried to tell him about Jarren earlier, and he got really upset. And I tried to warn him when they got together…”

“I think maybe you should just let it play out. I understand you don’t want Matt to get hurt, but it just sounds like he’ll be mad and not believe you if you tell him…”

“Yeah.” I said, looking off into the distance. “I’m sorry, the night went from really amazing to really horrible.”

“I still think it’s pretty amazing.” Seth said, tucking a stray strand of hair behind my ear. “I’m still with you, aren’t I?”

I blushed. I know the line might sound a little cheesy, but it was one of the sweetest things a guy had ever said to me.

We were able to recover from the little road bump that was Jarren, and spent the rest of the night, eating various food from street vendors and playing random carnival games. Jarren was pushed out of my mind, at least until Seth left me to use the bathroom.

I looked up, and there was Jarren and Greg again. Again, close together, again, obviously flirting. Unable to help myself, I whipped out my cell phone and snapped a picture of them.

I looked at the picture, and thanks to my fancy phone, it was pretty clear. What was unclear, however, was what I was going to do with it.

‘You’re going to show it to Matt.’ A little voice inside my head whispered. ‘Now you have proof and he’ll have to believe you.’

No. I can’t. Seth was right, I needed to butt out and just let whatever was going to happen, happen.

‘But wouldn’t you want to know?’ The little voice nagged. ‘If it were you, wouldn’t you want a heads up?’

I honestly couldn’t answer that question. I mean I supposed I would want the truth, as much as it would hurt…

Seth came back then, breaking me out of my thoughts.

“Ready to go?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I answered, shoving my phone into my pocket.

Seth ended up spending the night, and let’s just say, the activities performed took my mind off of the Jarren situation… I slept soundly that night, wrapped up in Seth’s arms.

However, the next morning, I left Seth curled up in bed and crept into the kitchen to make him breakfast. I jumped about a mile in the air when I saw Matt sitting at the kitchen table, sipping a cup of coffee.

“Oh. Hey.” I said, trying to recover. “You’re up early.”

“Yeah. I crashed pretty early. I was going to go out but felt bad not going out with Jarren, so I stayed here and watched some movies. Fell asleep on the couch. Jarren’s got me domesticated I guess.” He said, smiling. I tried hard to hide my cringe. “You didn’t see me when you came in?”

“No, but I was with Seth.”

“Oooh, that explains it.” He said it in such a way, I had to blush.

I went about my business, cooking breakfast, making random small talk with Matt, but in my head, all I could think about was Jarren, and should I or shouldn’t I tell Matt what happened. It was an internal tug of war. I knew I should mind my own business, but I also knew that if I were in Matt’s shoes, I’d want to know.

“Hey… You’ve been at camp before… Have you ever been in a relationship while there? I mean, Jarren and I have been spending a lot of time together lately, and a week away at a time is a long time… I just wondered how you dealt with it.”

“Matt… About Jarren…” I said, removing the eggs from the burner and turning to face him.

“Ella, not this ‘Jarren is trouble’ bull again… I really like her, OK? Can’t you just be happy for me?”

“I am happy for you Matt, and I know you really like her, which is why… Why I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Jarren wouldn’t hurt me. We’ve had the conversation…”

“I saw Jarren with Greg last night, OK?” I blurted out.

“Ella, are you jealous or something? Why are you on this Jarren sucks kick? She was out with friends last night…”

“Matt, I’m not on a Jarren sucks kick. I didn’t even want to tell you, but I just don’t want you to find out five months down the road when you’re in love and picking out rings.”

“Ella…” Matt said, sighing and rubbing his face. “Maybe you just thought you saw her. Maybe it was someone who just looked like her.”

“Look, Matt. If you don’t believe me…” I opened the picture and slid my phone across the table.

He picked up the phone, and I could see the protest he was about to utter die on his lips. He mouth grew tight, his brow furrowed. He was pissed.

“Did they do anything?” He asked, his voice calm, but with an edge hiding underneath.

“I don’t know Matt. I didn’t follow them around… They were awfully flirty, but I didn’t see them kiss or anything. I mean, Matt, she may have not even cheated. I don’t know what she was there for. Maybe you should just talk to her.”

“It doesn’t matter whether or not she actually DID anything Ella. The fact of the matter is, she lied. She told me Greg was nuts, told me she wouldn’t see him anymore, told me she was going out with friends last night and all of that was a lie.” With each word Matt said, his voice rose. He was angry.

I shouldn’t have said anything.

“Matt maybe she was supposed to be out with friends and bumped into Greg and he apologized and they made up…” I attempted weakly. “Some girls are just more affectionate than others…”

Matt got up. “Thanks for cooking me breakfast Ella, but I’m not hungry. I’m going to call Jarren.”

With that, he left the room, slamming his bedroom behind him. That must have woke Seth up, because a few minutes later, he came shuffling in, wiping sleep from his eyes.

“What was that about?” He asked, sitting where Matt had been sitting. He eyed my phone, and picked it up to look at the picture. Sighing, he set it down. “You told him, huh?”

“I just thought if it were me, I’d want to know. But now…” I said sighing.
Why could I never seem to mind my own business?

11 comments:

I for one think Ella did the right thing. Just hope it doesn't backfire on her, though.

 

The hell with "minding my own business". I would have done the exact same thing. Jarren has serious issues.

 

I think Ella did the right thing, I know I would want to know if I were in that situation. Better to know now before he gets even more emotionally invested.

 

Ella did the right thing. If it was a serious long term relationship it would be a different story, it make the decision harder. But Jarren and Matt only been dating a short while its a no brainer.
Kat

 

Knowing that you are doing the right thing and living with the consequences are two entirely different things. If it were me, I'd want to know, I think most people would but I'm not sure how I'd react.

 

Agree Ella def did the right thing. I worry about Matt though, something is still off with him. He may have some kind of uncontrollable temper or something. As sleezy as Jarren is I hope he doesn't hurt her, and I mean physically.

 

I might have taken the coward's way out and printed and mailed the photo to Matt (date and time stamped, of course). But I'm quite proud of Ella.

 

I agree, I think Ella did the right thing telling Matt. I think it's true that there are consequences to every action (like telling the truth) and I hope that Matt isn't too heart-broken over the whole situation.

Laura B- I'm sorry to say that I have to I disagree with you. I think Matt was always trying to find someone to distract him from Ella and I think because of his "love" for her that he's always tried to distance himself from her, and it's probably why he seems off or angry most of the time. I mean, we haven't really gotten to know him as well as Jason or Drew. I also think that him storming out is a pretty normal reaction considering the circumstances, and he went to his bedroom not out the front door. In yesterday's post,I'll admit that he did show a little bit of a violent attitude towards Greg, but that was only because he thought Jarren was being threatened by him and he was only looking out for her.

 

I knew Ella couldn't help herself, and I honestly don't blame her. I just fear that in her attempts to be a good friend, she's gonna bear the brunt of the news. They say "don't shoot the messenger" for a reason.

I think if she didn't have the photographic proof, Matt wouldn't have believed her. Good call on using the phone to take the pic. Let's see how Jarren tried to squirm her way out of this one. mum

 

Ella did the right thing.And I'm still loving Seth!!

 

ok. I would have done it too. here is the thing though, Matt obviously believes her now and wouldn't have if not for the picture I am sure BUT Jarren is a liar so who knows how she could turn this one around or make it ok or anything. PLUS I had a feeling Matt might not believe Ella and then go say something about kissing her in front of or to Seth. I know they were in the early stages of their relationship but I am waiting for that to come up and bite her in the butt. I doubt Jarren and Greg ever really broke up. I am on the fence with Matt though, I just don't trust him.