OK- Let's talk HCG levels

HCG (which stands for something, but off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what) is one of the hormones your body produces when you're pregnant. It's what makes that second line pop up on that pregnancy test (after you've had a certain amount build up in your system.) The better the pregnancy test is, the lower amount of HCG it can detect (which is why usually more expensive tests tend to be "better" in the sense that they are more sensitive and you can test earlier.)

Anyway, every 48-72 hours your HCG level is supposed to double, I believe it peaks around the 9-10 week mark (don't quote me. I'm not an expert but have done TONS of research these last couple of days.) That's why I had to go in for the second test, my first level was at 452, which they thought was a little low (but further research there's such a wide range of "normal": at 5 weeks pregnant you can be normal at 17, or normal at 7,000!) They sent me back in today to see if it had doubled or at least risen significantly.

Well, it didn't double, but it almost did. I'm now at 809. While I still need to talk to the doctor in the AM, I'm already considering that to be good news (and hoping they do too!) It should double again in another 48-72 hours, putting me near that magic 1500 mark (where your levels need to be at to see the baby.) I'm hoping that they'll want me to come in for an ultrasound them, to make sure things are still OK. I always feel better after I see the baby, and while I know my levels were too low to see a baby when I was in the ER, I still don't like the fact that I couldn't see anything (though from my baby book I got, things happen SO rapidly. One day nothing's there, next day baby's there with arms and legs! OK, maybe not THAT fast, but pretty quickly when you consider just how complicated the human body is!)

I'm sorry I've been so scatter brained lately. I know, you guys have been NOTHING but supportive, but I want you to know just how much I appreciate that. I'm hoping to have a new post up tomorrow, it may not be on time, but hopefully tomorrow, and then be back on schedule for the whole thing.

Keep praying though! It makes me feel better :-)

6 comments:

This one is probably just a girl!! I had a son first and nothing happend even got my same figure right back after having him. Seven years later- I know that is the main reason but I like to tell her it is her fault (hehe)- I now have hips and a stomach that just will not go away! They say that boys like the moms and girls like the dads so just go with that, you are having a little girl and she is setting you up from the start!!

Seriously, though, prayers are being said everyday for you.

 

Well thank God everything is ok, really I guess this is what you get for testing so early, lots of confusion and scary situations lol. Maybe it's best not to find out until you're 2 -3 months along. After the pregnancy is more stable. I'll keep up the prayers.

 

kidz, I like your reasoning there. I have a 13 year old daughter who is going to put me in the nut house lol.

 

Sounds like everything is going in the right direction. Yay! mum

 

Yay! Things are finally heading down the right path Laura. You'll feel so much better after you have the ultra sound, I'm sure.

Still sending good thoughts your way!

 

I agree with the daughter assessment. I'm about 6-7 months along with a girl and she's already been dubbed "the troublemaker" by my doctor! He says "Just wait until she's 13!"
Hang in there! What did the doctor say today?