Whatever Wednesday: What is it about the internet that brings out the assholes?

Seriously. What is it about the internet that makes people such assholes to each other? Especially to people they don't know? It's like, I highly doubt that MOST people (I do realize that there are exceptions to this) would walk up to a stranger on the street and say the type of crap that people say on in internet.

Case in point one: I'm on babycenter. I love it. I loved it with my son, and so far, I'm loving it with this pregnancy. It's nice to have people to talk to who are thinking about babies as much as you are. Anyway, I read this woman's journal entry. She talks about how doctors don't know if she's having a miscarriage or not, and goes on to say that she would be happy either way. If she isn't, well then, she's still pregnant. But if she is miscarrying, then she'll get back to focusing on her body to get ready for bikini weather. I know, at first this may sound like, OMG how could someone say this? But then the next line after that was "I have to think like this so I don't get depressed." Which, I TOTALLY understand.

When I was in that limbo area, I just wanted to know. It's so hard to NOT know what's going on. One second you're trying to be optimistic, and the next you're breaking down because you just KNOW that your baby is dying and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I just wanted to KNOW. And if I was miscarrying, I'd probably console myself with the fact that at the very least I could get back to my diet and exercise.

But man, people tore her a new one. They didn't even TRY to understand. They said some awful things. How she was a horrible mother, how she deserved to miscarry, how they felt sorry for her other child.

It's like, really? This woman writes a journal entry talking about how she's just so sick of being on this teeter totter, and you focus on the moment where in her crisis she may not have chosen the best choice of words?

The worst part? Most of these woman have had miscarriages. You just think that they would have been able to relate, rather than wish the pain that they had gone through on someone else.

Second case: My friend Shayne posted a link on her facebook page about the new immigration law in AZ. I, once again, have not read up on this law. I've heard bits and pieces about it, but I really didn't know enough to comment on it. However, my brother, who is rainman about current events did comment. He and Shayne had the same opinion, and they went back and forth for a little bit. Then this other guy jumped in. He had a different opinion - but relayed it respectfully, and he and my brother had some back and forth, again, both being respectful, and a couple of times my brother even says "Wow, you make some good points, things I didn't think of."

Out of nowhere, this guy Tyler jumps in, and calls my brother a pussy. Basically, he agreed with the second guy, but rather than presenting his opinion respectfully as everyone else had done, chose to single out my brother and name call.

Everyone jumped on him and told him he was being a dick. His response: Yeah it was a dick thing to do, but I'm a dick, so what do you expect? And then he went to bash my brother some more.

First of all, I HATE the whole "I'm a dick, what do you want?" response (also hate the whole "I'm a bitch, deal with it." type thing.) It's like, just because you admit to being a dick doesn't mean it's OK. Secondly, I've found that people who are like "Oh yeah, I'm a bitch/dick" are the first people to get all butt ass hurt when someone else is a dick or a bitch. You can't say that that behavior is OK, and then get all bent out of shape when someone responds in kind. It's like this kid I worked with always said "I don't care what anyone else says, I'm gonna do me" That was fine - but he was the FIRST person to talk shit when anyone else liked something he didn't like. Why is it OK for you to like what you like, but not OK for me to do my own thing?

Anyway, I digress. The fact of the matter is, he just keeps repeating "I'm right, my opinion is right" blah blah blah, without backing his opinion up with anything other than insults and name calling. It's like, how exactly are you right? And then he was making comments on my brother like "Oh, I just hate it when people talk to hear the sound of their own voice about shit they know nothing about" and it's like... Do you not see what you've written? You're talking crap about a person you know nothing about. You're doing the SAME thing. Hello pot? This is kettle. You're both black!

Then another thing is, my brother made mention when he was talking to the first guy about how he had been jumped. That's when the second guy - Tyler, jumped in, calling him a pussy because criminals pray on the weak. Oh really? So if a girl gets raped, she must just be a pussy? Like c'mon dude, even YOU have to admit how stupid you sound.

It just blows my mind. Especially since we live in a world where everyone wants to be different, be unique, and we try SO hard to stand out... But when it comes to matters of opinions we get SO pissed off if people don't think like we do.

I mean I can't claim innocence. There are certain subjects I get VERY worked up about because I believe in them so much. But there's STILL no need to resort to name calling when you're talking about opinions. It just makes you sound stupid. If your opinion is SO right, then it should stand up on it's own merit - you shouldn't HAVE to bully someone into believing what you do.

Anyway, on a happier note... My doctors appointment isn't until May 11th, but I was able to get in to a "training" ultrasound through a pregnancy crisis center here in Columbus. I think I talked about them before? Pregnancy Decision Health Care (or maybe it's Center?) Either way, I went to them with my son. I hesitated going to them again, because when I went with my son, they pushed their pro-life stuff on me. I was already planning on keeping my son, I told them that, but it was just a little much.

This time? They've been SO amazing and nice. The ultrasound tech Monday was amazing, and just really reassuring.

I was nervous at first, because they were trying to do an abdominal ultrasound first (And made me drink a TON of water so they could.) But all they could see with an abdominal was a sac. So she did a vaginal. Now, while they wanted a full bladder for an abdominal, they need an empty one for a vaginal. But apparently, I drank so much that when I peed, my bladder just filled right back up again.

But they were able to see stuff anyway :-)

Bad news? I'm measuring behind where they thought I would be. The tech said it happens all the time, since when you ovulate, it's just a guess. They're guessing I'm 10 days behind my original due date. Now, while I could see being behind my due date, I don't think I could be 10 days behind. That's just seems too much to me, and it means I got a positive test crazy early.But, it does at least explain why they couldn't see anything when I went to the ER, and why my levels were low at first. However, I'm not changing my dates *yet* I do believe I'm probably a little behind what they thought, but I'm wondering if the reasons my measurements were SO off was because my bladder was smushing my uterus :-)

We did see a heartbeat though! I know everyone speaks of seeing the babies heartbeat as such a magical thing, but with my son I didn't get why. I mean don't get me wrong, I thought seeing him on the ultrasound was fantastic, and I was VERY glad he had a heartbeat. But, I just never got to see a clear heartbeat with him. By the time I got into a ultrasound, I was further along, and he was moving SO much, it was just hard to see. Because the placenta was anterior, we had an issue hearing his heartbeat on the doppler, so I got a few extra ultrasounds to confirm that he still had a heartbeat. One time he moved SO much the doctor couldn't get a reading. She was laughing and said "Well, I can't find his heartbeat, but I know it has to have one, look at the little guy move!"

Anyway, this one was just so teeny tiny. It was just almost hard to fathom how small. And that made the heartbeat SO obvious, it was just really neat. I can't wait till May 11th, because I'm guessing the doctor will give me an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech at the place I went too said I could also call and she'd hook me up with another training ultrasound. I'm thinking trying to get in a little before 20 weeks to see if maybe they think they can tell the sex :-)

Anyway, Sprout's not much yet, but here is his/her first pictures! S/he's between the x's and like I said, teeny tiny!



Photobucket

5 comments:

Well I'm glad you had the ultrasound,must be a big relief to know everythings ok. Internet assholes (lol) I understand the woman who might be misscarring too. She was just trying to deal the only way she knew how. I mean if she misscarries, there is nothing she could do about it, so she was just trying to get her mind on the only thing to carry her through. And no people didn't need to rip her apart for that. We all deal with loses in our own way. The Az. thing, I just heard briefly about it, apparently hispanics have to carry papers on them proving they are in this country legally?? I heard some joke about it references Natzis and freed slaves in the slavery days. Yea it seems to go a bit far (in my opinion). Only ignorant people resort to name calling like that because they don't know how to defend there point of view any other way.

 

Congrats on Sprout Laura! Before you know it they little one will be nestled in your arms with big brother reading them a book. :)

 

Wow...that's tiny...but then again your bladder was full...either way...it's awesome and now we know for sure.

I have actually started to love the ultra sounds...I have one more and i can't wait. I am constantly wondering what my jelly bean is doing down there...life is pretty awesome.

Sorry about the internat idoits...something about people not knowing who you are give people this unbelievable freedom it's ridiculous.

 

I am on BabyCenter, too, but am growing tired of it because of the insane people that always seem to post. There is a long thread currently on July 2010 from a girl who is upset that her friend's doctor is suggesting a C-section. Seriously, is it really her business? Second, why put it up for debate on a public web site? Very strange.
I won't even get started about all the baby shower posts. I know I'm hormonal, but they're driving me nuts!
Glad you got an ultrasound and reassurance!
I'm counting down -- 78 more days to 40 weeks and 57 days until full term at 37 weeks!
I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy!

 

Hey Laura, yay for Baby!

Just had an idea for you! I know this post isn't about money, but you've mentioned it on past Whatever Wednesdays, so I was thinking: have you ever tried to make money OFF your blog? I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think there's a way to host ads on your blog through Google AdSense. I know the YouTube partner program pays out based on how many subscribers & viewers you have - if AdSense works the same way, maybe it can be a way for you to supplement your income. Not that I (as a reader) want to see ads all over the place, but if you can control where you put it (for example, in the side bar by where your SwagBucks thing is), it'd be far down enough not to be "in the way" yet still generate some income for you. Even if it's not a lot, it can probably at least get a new toy for your son or package of diapers for baby, right? And since you'd (hopefully!) be posting anyway, there wouldn't be any extra work or scheduling pressure, since you wouldn't have any additional deadlines / schedule / output requirements / etc.

Just an idea :) I don't work for Google or anything, so I don't actually know any of the details of the AdSense program - maybe WordPress has something better? If so, you could just export all of your existing blogs/comments to a new WordPress page.

Anyways, I love that baby is so tiny that (s)he is marked by x's How did the doctor even see him/her? o.0