Update:

I was going to respond in comments to all you guys, but figured I'd just make a new post.

My FIL is having another heart cath right now. I just don't have a very good feeling about this one. I feel like his first one was a warning, one he didn't take, and now... I dunno. I guess last night he said his heart rate dropped to 42? Which is crazy low. My Mom says they may put in a pacemaker, and Jeremy says they're going in to see if a stent slipped.

Overall, I am frustrated. I know it makes me sound like a huge brat, but I'm really resenting the fact that they're relying on us so much for everything. I mean they don't know yet that Jeremy lost his job, so for all his Mom knows, Jer is taking the day off work (and they do know he was out of vacation time, so it's unpaid) and she seems to not feel bad about it at all, or even greatful. She also knows that he was home yesterday and yelled at him for telling her that he had errands to run, even though she wasn't planning on going to the hospital, she just wanted him to be "on call" in case anything happened. (One of the errands we HAD to do- we had to put our gym membership on hold by yesterday or we'd be charged another month.)

I mean, again, I know it makes me sound like a huge, whiney brat. I can try to chalk it up to hormones or just general life sucks right now, and it's partly that, but it's also something more.

Like my MIL didn't want my husband to run two errands yesterday (one was faxing something to unemployment to see if he qualifies, the other was putting the gym on hold. Both needed to be done and would take 10 minutes each.) but yet they found out today that my FIL was scheduled to have his procedure at 2. She called and told us this at 11:40. She still was not ready to go, wanted to be picked up at 12:30. She wanted to eat (which for MIL does not mean quickly grabbing drive thru and eating on the way, not to mention my in laws eat sooooo slowly... They do everything slowly...) She wanted to deposit their tax check (which didn't need to be done) and she wanted to swing by home depot to pay their credit card bill... Which wasn't even due till the 17th!

So my husbands two errands yesterday needed to wait, even though nothing was going on and they had a time line that needed to be done that day, but a bill that isn't due till the 17th needs to be paid today when your husband has a procedure in an hour and a half????

Jeremy got called for an open house tonight. He could have been interviewing, might have even had a job! Now he had to wait, till hopefully tomorrow, until MIL calls and has a billion errands to run.

I mean I get it. They don't know he's out of work. But still it irks me that she doesn't seem the least bit apologetic thinking he has taken two days off work without pay when he has a child at home and a baby on the way.

Not to mention we just had to drive to the hospital last night just to pick up FIL's wallet because MIL said it would get stolen. He had nothing in there, but she was like "His patrol ID is in there!"

He used to give driving tests. Who the hell wants a retired driving tester's ID?

And this is where I'm going to sound REALLY horrible: How many times is our life going to be interrupted because he won't take care of himself? I would be TOTALLY understanding if he was trying to take off the weight and was still having issues. And I do commend him for at least going to his exercising. But stuffing your face after with cheesy bacon fries? Is freaking counter productive. And it NEVER fails every time we see them they talk about how much better they're doing eating, and then I proceed to watch them order a whole pizza and scarf it down, or get extra icing on cinnamin rolls, or order a baked potato with lots and lots and lots of REAL butter.

Oh, but hold the salt! And then I get lectured on how much salt I use. Because you're right, cut out your salt, but just inject that butter into your veins!


Ugh. Sorry. I mean I do pray that this is good news. But it's kinda like... You buy someone a new car. They don't take care of it, it breaks. How many times are you gonna have it fixed before you just say fuck it?

The insurance: I wish I could live in Canada. I actually told hubby I wanted to move there. But alas, he says no, and my Mom would freak, so Ohio we stay ;-)

We called and scheduled an appointment with my OBGYN, but the soonest she could actually see me was the 3rd. The nurse can get me in the 14th, so we made those appointments, but I dunno if we'll still be covered. We called the insurance company and all they could tell us was that we were currently still activated with no end date listed. So Jeremy is supposed to call his HR department and see when the end date is. I have an appointment with my OBGYN's Nurse on the 14th, but they couldnt get me into the doctor till the 3rd. I think called and made an appt at my friends OBGYN for the 19th, because they accept medicaid and my OBGYN doesn't. If we find out we won't be covered into May (which I don't think we will be) I'm canceling my appt with my OBGYN. I've heard that Medicaid will back pay claims, so even if my insurance isn't really active, we still will be covered.

8 comments:

i posted on the other post about some benefits of living in canada. check it out lol. there are more than just the healthcare, though that is HUGE, b/c so many people in the US can not afford any basics because of healthcare, or can not take care of themselves. I could not imagine being in that position.

Wages are better up here too. The province i live in has the lowest cost of living in canada.

As for your ranting, don't worry about it, better to say it here than flip your lid one day, which i can see coming, she sounds VERY VERY selfish.

 

Sweetcanadian, is it really super cold in the winter?? I can't deal with that, otherwise Canada sounds great lol. Laura, vent all you want you don't sound horrible, it's hard to help people that just don't appreciate it and for someone who had a great big warning slap across the face and still doesn't listen. Idk, I do think it's funny they think loads of butter is ok but forget the salt.

 

I do hope everything goes well and he has yet another chance and maybe a nutrietionist(sp??) can talk to him about his diet??

 

Cold in Canadian winters? We didn't have snow for the Olympics... some places are cold some aren't, no where is as warm as Arazona or Florida though.

I can understand the bit with the FIL, it's hard when people just don't get it, your health doesn\t just effect you but everyone who cares for u... I feel super bad for your hubby he's got alot going on. I hope he's holding up alright.
Kat

 

Kat,
I live in Maryland, it's get pretty cold sometimes. This past winter we were blasted. 3 huge snows, almost unheard of. Now it's 90 degrees in april, unheard of too lol. I'll stick it out in the good 'ol US, I have faith in our President, although I think alot of people have lost that faith. But damn this mess we are in wasn't created in a years time and it's going to take more than a year to get out of. And I hope the healthcare reform works.

 

Laura, I wish you all the best! It sounds like you are definitely having a rough go right now and you are very much entitled to your feelings. Besides, this is a blog, its like an online diary right? Or at least it can be.
I am a proud Canadian. I think our healthcare is one of our best assets.
And as for the cold, my province gets bitchin cold in the winter, but the summers are hot. The difference is a good thing for me, I love both winter and summer sports so I get the best of both worlds!

 

I'm so sorry your in-laws are driving you crazy. But I totally agree, you can only support someone who refuses to change for so long before you realise all you're doing is stressing yourself out. I don't know how your hubby feels, but if it were me, I'd try to cut back contact with them as much as possible. With a husband out of work, a toddler, and a new kid on the way, you don't need any extra stress.

On moving to Canada... I'm pretty sure you need to have a LOT of money and a Canadian sponsor to move up there. My sister was engaged to a man in Toronto and she was told that she needed $10,000 (American) in the bank before she'd be allowed to move up. They want to make sure you're going to be a contributing member of society and not just a bum trying to get free health care.

The good thing about Canadian health care is that from the second you're born, you're covered. You don't have to pay premiums because you're already paying for it through taxes. The plan we're getting is nothing like that. You pay through taxes AND premiums and the premiums aren't even being regulated enough to really help the high risk people... so they'll wind up on the government plan which is a crap plan.

 

ya it can get cold in the winter laura B. I am in MB, which is in the middle, but we also don't get alot of really deadly weather either, just a couple tornadoes mostly, and hot in the summer. Our snow melted in march, we did not have a bad winter this year.