The blog is on pause

It's been a week of ups and downs. My laptop busted, but we won our vacation. My husband got hired at a new place that's closer to home, pays more, and he'll be working again with an old friend. But, my Father in law's surgery didn't go well.

Everything's really up in the air right now, so I can't give any for sure answers. I do know right now that the best thing to do is to put the blog on pause. I'm hoping it's just for the rest of this week and the weekend, which wouldn't really be that long, but since I don't really have any answers.... I don't know how to give you guys any.

Here's what happened: I finally found out today that the name of the heart thingy my Father in law was having was called a heart cath. They stick a cath through your groin and go up your body to your heart and take a look around. What they were hoping would happen is that they could find the block, and fix it with an angioplasty (they stick a balloon in there, and blow it up so it clears the block) We thought the WORST case scenario would be that he would need a by-pass. We were wrong.

They went in and found that my Father in law is completely blocked. I believe the surgeon said he has ONE artery not completely blocked, and that one is 1/2 blocked. The surgeon says that it's so bad, he doesn't think they can even do a bypass to fix it. He compared it to a highway: If there was an accident, you could go around it and still get where you're going. My father in laws "highway" is gone. No way to get around it. What this surgeon wants to do is discharge my father in law tomorrow, put him on plavix, then bring him back in a week or two to put in stents. Then he wants my father in law to lose at LEAST 120 lbs (and he suggested he do this by gastric bypass, because with my father in laws artificial knees and bad heart, he can't really exercise too much. But, he's not a cardiac surgeon, so he wanted a consult with a cardiac surgeon. Who, we waited around ALL day today to hear from, and didn't. When we asked what time they thought he would be there tomorrow (so we could be there) they told us they didn't know. He could be there at 6 AM, he could come at 8 PM.

So now we're scrambling, trying to figure out how to be there so we can talk to the surgeon. My husband was supposed to work tomorrow (They're keeping my father in law overnight because he didn't do so well with the test. His blood pressure skyrocted and so did his blood sugar, and they couldn't pull his cath out for awhile because his blood was too thin, and then before we left, his blood pressure was too low. So.) , he doesn't have any vacation time. I don't have any one to watch Cayden so I can go over there. We talked about taking my Mother in law over in the morning and she could sit with him, but honestly... I don't think she really understands what's going on. We've been wondering for awhile if she's borderlining on senile, and then today she didn't even listen/hear or possibly remember the surgeon saying that my FIL would need to come back in 2 weeks for the stent surgery. I just don't know if she'd be able to take in all that information, remember it, and be able to ask all the questions we have. It's just a mess. I have no idea where to start figuring this out.

Again, I'm sorry for everything that's going on. I know you guys understand, and I REALLY appreciate that, but I still feel bad. I DO enjoy writing the blog, I know we were at a "cliffhanger" so to speak, but I just don't know if we're going to be able to get to a store to buy a replacement keyboard, and I don't know when I'll be able to write, and I just honestly don't know anything anymore. I feel like they're telling us that our best choice is to take home a ticking time bomb and hope that it doesn't go off. If he can get the bypass, it's dangerous, and who knows if he'll make it? If he can't get the bypass, he HAS to lose weight, and his BEST option for losing weight is another dangerous surgery. I feel very much like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't, and I just don't know. That's all I keep saying is I just don't know.

Please, continue to keep us in your thoughts, in your prayers, whatever.

11 comments:

Good luck with everything. I'll pray it all turns out for the best.
Don't worry about the blog. Right now, that's not important.

 

I'm so sorry it didn't go well. My thoughts are with you and your family.

 

Family emergency trumps blog every time. Take all the time you need, your family is in my prayers and you know we'll all be waiting patiently.

 

Family comes first ALWAYS. Sorry to hear things didn't go so well with the surgery.

Will keep you and your family in prayers.

 

Laura, I'm sorry things are so bad with your FIL. You know where to reach me if you want to talk or vent your frustrations.

Take Care

 

Oh, girl...you are definitely in my prayers. Hang in there!

_MommaJ

 

i'm very sorry to hear what you're going through.

right now, the blog is not important. Anyone who complains that youre taking time off, doesn't have a conscience.

take care of yourself and your family. I really wish I lived closer, I would offer to take your son in a heart beat so you could be where you needed to be.

you're in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Good luck with everything. Take your time and we will all be here when you can make it back but dont rush!

 

I hope everything works out well, good luck!

 

Family comes first!!! Good luck with everything and ur family will be in my prayers!

 

I'm so sorry that you and your family are going thru this rough patch. Don't even worry about the blog. I really hope you are all going to be okay.