I love this bar?

Jacob, Sandy and I walked up the rooms.

“See you in a few.” Sandy called, going into her room to change.

Jacob and I went into his room, where he went into the bathroom to change into his own bathing suit. He came out a few moments later.

“Go ahead and go down. I think I should call Toni and make up with her. I’ll come down in a little bit.” I said, sitting down on the bed.

“OK.” He answered, crossing the room to kiss me quickly before he left the room to meet his Mom. I waited for a few minutes to make sure they were gone and wouldn’t be busting back in for a forgotten towel or something. Then I dialed Toni’s number.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Still mad at me?” I asked.

She sighed. “Ella, I was never mad. I just think sometimes you make stupid choices.”

“What did I do, exactly, that was stupid?”

“You spent the night with Jason! What was that about? You are dating someone, it’s time to stop acting like you’re dating each other!”

“I spent the night with Jason after I left the hotel room to be with my boyfriend and caught him canoodling with some little hussy.”

“Whatever Ella. I just think sometimes you mix your own recipe for disaster. Why are you calling anyway? Just to make sure I’m not angry?”

“I mean that’s part of it.”

“Well what’s the other part?” She asked, sounding frustrated.

“I saw Jacob’s mom in a bar last night.”

“So? I’m pretty sure she’s old enough to drink.”

“Yeah, but she told me tonight that she’s a recovering alcoholic.”

“Again, I repeat: so? The girl can’t see in a bar and sip a diet coke?”

“She can. But see, we were at dinner and the waiter wanted us to leave, but we still wanted to talk, so I suggested we go to the bar. And she said being in a bar made her uncomfortable.”

“Ella, honey, what’s your point?”

“I just find it odd that I see her in a bar, and the next day she tells me just being in a bar makes her uncomfortable. If that’s true, then why was she in the bar?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, do you think I should talk to Jacob about it? Or maybe Sandy?” I asked, biting a nail.

“Ella, this is what I meant by mixing up your own recipe for disaster. You just got the guy to drop his friend, and now you want him to confront his Mom about something that may or may not have happened?”

“I saw her Toni!”

“You think you saw her. Did you go and talk to her?”

“Well, no. I was trying to leave with Jason to get to you guys…”

“So you may have just seen someone who looked like her. Or you may have seen her in the bar, but she was just trying to get some change for the vending machine. You don’t know. Why do you want to go open a whole can of worms over something you don’t know anything about? And quite frankly hon, it’s none of your business.”

“I know, I just want to be there for him…”

“And should anything happen Ella, you can be. But right now you don’t even know for sure if that was her. You’re jumping the gun and it’s gonna backfire of you.”

“Yeah…” I trailed off. I knew Toni was right, but I still wanted to know what was going on.

“Ella.” Her tone was warning. “Drop it, OK? You’re lucky enough that he’s still around after you went off on his friend like that. He obviously likes you, you like him, and he’s a good guy. Don’t ruin this just because you’re curious.”

“Alright, alright.” I gave in.

We talked for a few moments longer, making plans to eat breakfast tomorrow before I left to go home with Jacob. I was only spending two days there, and then I had to be back at work. Jacob was going to come home with me for a few days, and then he was going to spend what he had left of his leave at home with his Mom. Thinking of him leaving again made my heart ache a little. I felt like these last few days were so drama filled that I hadn’t actually gotten any quality time with Jacob. I was looking forward to spending some alone time with him, and prayed that my visit in his home town would be relatively drama free.

I got off the phone with her and headed downstairs where I sat by the pool and watch Jacob and his Mom splash around. I thought I would be bored, or bummed because I loved the water and hated the fact that I had to sit it out. But Jacob and his Mom ended up keeping me so entertained with stories and jokes, that I forgot that I wasn’t in the water with them.

After about an hour, Sandy said she was exhausted and headed upstairs to go to bed. Jacob stayed in the water for a little while longer, and I ventured over to a dry spot, putting my un-casted leg in the water and leaving my casted leg splayed out on Jacob’s towel.

Finally, after about fifteen minutes, Jacob pulled himself out of the pool.

“Ew.” I whined. “You’re dripping on me.” I said as he came over to get his towel.

He smiled an evil grin, shook himself like a dog, and then to top it all off, reached down and wrapped me in a tight, wet, long hug.

“Jacob!” I squealed. “You’re getting me wet!”

He pulled away and shot me another evil look, wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

“Ew, perv!” I laughed, pushing him away. “You’re getting me wet and NOT in that way!”

“Let’s go to the room and get you out of these wet clothes.” He said, laughing and wiggling his eyebrows again. “We’ll see if I can get you wet in any other ways.”

“You are SUCH a pervert.” I said, reaching for his hand as he pulled me to his feet.

“You love it.” He answered, holding out my crutches to me. I just rolled my eyes as we headed up towards the room.

“Oh shoot.” I said while we were waiting for the elevators. “I forgot my book at the pool.”

“Want me to go grab it?” He asked.

“Yeah. I’ll sit in the lobby and wait for you.” I answered and he jogged off to grab my book. I plopped down in one of the overstuffed chairs, almost choking on a huge plotted plant that was so overgrown it was sharing the chair with me. As I fought my way through it, I saw Jacob’s Mom get off the elevator. I watched her, open mouthed, as she once again entered the bar.

Jacob came back while I was still toying with whether or not I should tell him his Mom was in the bar. I had wanted the rest of our time to be drama free, but… Didn’t he have a right to know? However, what if it was like Toni said, and had some innocent explanation? While lost in my thoughts, we had already made it to the room, it was too late to point out his mom in the bar. I wondered still, if I should take him back down there and show him.

“So.” I said, trying to sound casually as I sifted through my bag for dry pajamas. “What’s your Mom doing tonight?”

“I think just hanging out in her room. She said she was really tired, so she’s probably just going to crash.” Jacob answered. “I’m not concerned about her.” He said, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Oh yeah?” I said giggling. “And what are you concerned about?”

“I told you already. Getting you out of those wet clothes.”

And as he started kissing my neck and my ear, I’ll admit, I forgot all about his Mother.

3 comments:

Ahh, I do like Jacob. I believe "Mom" has fallen off the wagon. And No Ella, listen to Toni it is none of your buisness. Jacob will find out on his own and also going back to a war zone he doesn't need to be worring about his mother's drinking problem.

 

I totally agree with Toni. Stay out of it Ella! mum

 

This is completely different from her fit about Michelle. That was something that she did need to stand up for herself and make it clear that she was on some level being treated like sh*t because people forgave Michelle's actions.

This is something that is not getting in the way of her relationship and if she does something MAY. Listen to your friend and if it turns out Mom is off the wagon and Jacob needs you then be there. Don't try to cause drama.