It's my blog and I'll complain if I want too

Warning: This is me complaining/whining, but also updating you on the situation for Thursday. For those of you who want to know what's going on Thursday and don't want to listen to me complain here's the summary: I will not be posting on Thursday. I will either post it during Whatever Wednesday, or do two on Friday. I'm not sure which yet, but you can consider this post the Whatever Wednesday

Now, onto the complaining.

I love my family. I really do. We're dysfunctional, but in a fun/Simpsons kind of way. We do love each other, and we've always had each others backs. Lately though, I'm feeling like I'm constantly supposed to be having everyone else's back, and no one has mine.

The big point was my Father in Law's surgery/procedure/whatever the hell it is on Thursday. I wanted my sister to try to switch shifts so she could take Thursday off instead of Wednesday, and I could be at the hospital with my Husband and his family. Well, she didn't do that. For some reason, instead of trying to find someone to switch with her, she just requested the day off. And she doesn't bother telling me until today (four days before the procedure) that they're not approving anyone's request for time off, because they're backed up.

I know it's dumb, and kind of petty, because it's like "well, why should your sister drop her job to baby-sit for you?" Well, because, if it weren't for me, my sister wouldn't have a job. She's living at my house (which is already too small, and her boyfriend lives two doors down and is practically begging her to move in with him, and even if she's not ready for that, she could at least spend a little time over there so I have room to breath) and I'm the one who takes her to and from work every day (she doesn't drive.) Which, usually takes two hours (30 minutes there, 30 minutes back to drop her off, and then 30 minutes there, and 30 minutes back home when I pick her up.) And while she pays me for gas, she doesn't pay me for my time. Not to mention the fact that the plan was, she was supposed to get a job CLOSE to my house, and instead chose this one because of the discount she got, not caring at the strain it put on me (do you know how restless a kid gets in the car when they're stuck in there for that long?)

So, I'm at my Mom's house when she tells me this. My brother is there. He's currently not working, so I'm like, hey, why can't he baby-sit? I mean, I would have NEVER left my son with my brother when Cayden was a new born. That would have been WAY too much. But now? I mean Cayden is physically exhausting to be around, having to chase him everywhere, but other than that, he's easy to take care of. You feed him, change his diaper a couple of times, follow him around and make sure he doesn't kill himself. It's not hard.

So we tell my Mom. And she pretty much freaks out. She just keeps offering up excuse after excuse to why it's not a good idea. And I'm pretty much like, well. Forget it then. And then suddenly she's accusing ME of being a drama queen, and asking why I always do this, and telling me not to get my panties in a bunch...

...All I said was "Forget it then." Honestly. That's all. I don't get how that translates into me being a drama queen and getting my panties in a bunch.

The thing about my Mom is... She wants to baby her kids forever. She'll complain about it, she'll tell us to grow up, but then she has no problem trying to take control. Example: Jeremy, my husband, just went for a job interview. I told my Mom about it. And immediately it was all like "Well, does it pay well (better than his job now), is the insurance good? (granted, it's not as great as he has now, but it's still good.)" And, it was just REALLY annoying. I'm almost 24 years old, I've been married for damn near 2 years, I have my own child, and I haven't lived with her since I was 19 (which, is better than I can say for my brother or sister. Who both still live with her. Well, my sister now lives with me, but whatever.)

I mean, I get it. It's not the end of the world, worse things have happened. It's just, I'm having a hard time establishing boundaries with my family. My mom used to say things like "Well, when you're the Mom, you can decide what to do with your child." Or "When you get your own place, you can decide what to do." ALL the time when I was growing up. And now, I AM the Mom, and I HAVE my own place, and she's STILL trying to tell me what to do.

My husband says it's because she's a Mom, and that's what she does. But at what point does she start respecting ME as a Mom? If I trust my brother to baby-sit my son, and my brother agrees, why should she be able to jump in and say no?

There's a bunch of other little things too. Like, the fact when he spends the night over there, she still sleeps with him in her bed, even though I've asked her several times not too. The fact that she changes him out of the clothes I put him in when I take him over there (She changed his pants today. Why? I have no idea.), the fact that after I spent the afternoon with my friend, who owns rabbits, I mentioned I wanted one, and she gave me a HUGE lecture on why I didn't need another one (all I said was I would eventually like to own a rabbit again. I didn't say I was going out this weekend and buying one. And even if I was, again, it will be paid with my money, and live in my house. What business of hers is it to tell me I shouldn't?), or the whole other baby issue. She doesn't want me to have another baby. I don't see why she should have a say in it.

I mean again, I'm not trying to say this is the end of the world issues. It's just seriously annoying me. I don't think my Mom means to be so... I dunno what the word is. Controlling maybe? I think she honestly just cares about me and wants me to do the right thing. But I just don't see why, at 24 years old, and living without her, that I can't decide what the right thing for me is? And it's like. Yeah, I could talk to her, and try to tell her, but then it just turns into her accusing me of not appreciating her or listening to her, or whatever. It just turns into a big fight.

It's just frustrating. I want to have a close family, but I also want my own family. Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

It's also annoying too, how my Mom will bend over backwards and run herself ragged for my brother, sister (and sometimes me too), but then complain about it. Like if you don't want to do something, don't do it. And then she gets angry if someone can stand up for themselves and be like, no, I don't want to do this. It's like the whole driving my sister to work thing, I told her AND my sister that I don't know how much longer I can do this. For one, I don't drive in the snow. It seriously freaks me out, and I have panic attacks, so I won't do it. When I did this, my Mom yelled at me "You've only been doing this for a few months and you already want to quit???" Again, my sister was supposed to get a job down the street, NOT across the city.

But, I found a sitter (a friend of mine offered to baby-sit, bless her heart. She's the one who has four of her own, and is pregnant with her fifth. But she's worked with kids all her life, in a day care and at camp with me, so I trust she can handle it) So I think when I tell my Mom I can't take my sister to work Thursday, she's going to sigh and yell at me because she can't do it either. We'll see.

8 comments:

I think that if your sister is responsible enough to get a job, she should be responsible enough to get her own ride to her job. She shouldn't run to your mom when you can't do something for her. It just puts more stress on you and on your mom. I agree with your husband, bossing their children around is what moms do best. My sister lives 8 states away with her own husband and two kids and my parents still manage to put their two cents in. Maybe you'll be like that with your own son. Well I really hope that everything works out and that you are able to somehow communicate to your mom about what you're feeling. Best of luck on your father-in-law's surgery too!

Alicia

 

Alicia- I hope I'm NOT like that with Cayden. I mean, I get being worried about your child, and I don't think I'll EVER not be worried about Cayden, but I hope for the most part I can step back and let him make his own choices.

I mean, I guess I just shouldn't worry about it. I've told my sister I can't take her Thursday, so it's up to her to find a ride and I should just stay out of it. It's just annoying, because I know my sister won't ask my Mom for a ride (or anyone else) until the day before, and then my Mom will STILL get all upset.

My sister, I should mention is also 26 years old. My brother? 25. I'm the baby.

 

I dont live in the USA, however maybe your sister could take the bus to work? Plenty of people (me included) who don't drive use public transport to go to university and work... And if she doesnt like it, maybe it would motivate her to find a job closer to where she lives. You are already letting her live in your home, which is a pretty nice thing to do considering you are young, married, and have a son. Seems like you dont need extra stresses of expectations from your family right now! Hope things go well with your father in law for thursday :)

Rachel

 

All that stuff you described with how your mom tries to run your life? Try living with her while she's doing that! lol. I am unfortunately stuck living with my mom at the moment and she is ALWAYS telling me what I'm doing wrong. We can't have an actual conversation about how I raise my daughter because she just always falls back on that old "its not like I've never had kids" line. I get mom, I know you had 3 kids. But guess what? It was YEARS ago and none of them were MY DAUGHTER!
So yeah, I totally get your complaint and anytime you want to rant, you have my email and you know I'm gonna understand :D
Good luck with the surgery thing on Thursday, hope all goes well! And God bless your neighbor friend for babysitting!

 

Your Mom sounds like my Grandma A. Right now, there's a bit of a no-talking between her and my side of the family over my eldest sister's wedding this past august. My sister had found out she was pregnant (she was already engaged and living with the guy) and put together a small wedding in 4 days, along with finding a wedding dress for $99 at Davids bridal. It was a small wedding, only parents, siblings/spouses& children of siblings, her maid of honor and the pastor at the wedding- in all (including bride and groom) there was around 20 people there. Grandma was upset she wasn't invited (if she had been invited, it would've been a snowball effect of having to invite other relatives). We all went out to eat with her and explained it to her. She claimed then to be okay with it. It's now November, and on top of being bitter about it still, she's added being spiteful to my sister. Ya, I'd say, relatives are just a peach to deal with.

 

My mom is finally easing up on the whole "telling me what to do because she knows what's best for me" but I think it's mainly because I have a job now, so I don't spend that much time at home. But she is ALWAYS nitpicking on how I dress, my make-up, everything! I love her to death and, again, she is easing up. But last year I was working on my thesis at home and this year I couldn't find a job until August and I swear I thought I was gonna go insane!! It's really hard to love someone so much but still be excrutiatingly annoyed by them. And, no offense, but even though I didn't drive until this year (I'm 26, lol, so embarrassing!!) I never made anyone drive me around. I live in a big city with angry-assed drivers, so it always freaked me out.

 

Rachel- We have buses here, but my cities bus line is pretty crappy. The buses don't go a lot of places (I'm not even sure there's a bus stop around my house.) It's a crap shoot to whether they'll show when they're supposed too, it's super difficult to try to find out how to get to places uses the bus (the website has a "trip planner" which is a joke.) I took the bus for awhile when my car broke down, and it took me literally 2-3 hours to get to and from work. My work was 15-20 minutes away. But, I had to take two buses, and waiting to connect to the other bus killed 1/2 hour, and that was IF the second bus showed up, and on time. So I honestly don't know if she'd be able to take the bus. They also don't run 24 hours, or even particularly early or late, so even if one does come out here and go to work, I dunno if she'd be able to take it and go to work on time.

Sprickle- We were actually over there last night to discuss moving in together. We don't have too, but my Mom is looking for a place closer to us, and I want a bigger place, so I was thinking if we moved in together we'd be able to afford a bigger place (even get a bigger place for less than we pay now, if we split the rent.) So, I guess I should be glad THAT didn't happen.

Rustic- your sister's wedding sounds like my wedding. We did decide to invite family, but pretty much NO friends came. Even though I have a rather large family, I don't speak to my Dad's side, so none of them were invited, and a lot of my Mom's family lives out of town, and weren't able to make it on short notice. But at lot of my friends were REALLY upset, which was annoying, especially since I tried to make it up to them by inviting them to other events I had. One friend in particular told me over and over that I better invite him to my baby-shower, since I didn't invite him to the wedding. I made it a point to do so, he RSVP'd yes, and never showed. It's annoying.

Fenhu- yeah, my sister's 26 too, and doesn't drive. I didn't drive until I was 18, it is scary. My sister's tried and failed her test numerous times, and now has to wait to try again. It's not that she can't do it, she just gets so nervous during her tests that she freaks. It just mainly annoys me because her work has two locations, and one is literally up the street from me. And she said they offered her a couple positions when she went to interview, but she picked the one with the discount. So, I'm pretty sure she probably got offered a job up the street and turned it down. And that's annoying because again, she's thinking of herself so she can get a discount, instead of me. Because I'm a stay at home mom, they all assume I'm available all the time.

 

Laura, I think we are part of the same family! Haha. My mom is exactly how you described your Mom to be, and both my brother and sister still live next door to my parents; even though they are older than me. I am the baby, and I have been living on my pwn since I was 16 (literally). I often times feel like I bend over backwards for my family, but don't get that in return. I know it is hard, but it makes you a better person. Stay strong, you're not alone!
-Mel