My beautiful moon how you swoon me like no other

The next couple days of my visit flew by. I spent my days with Toni, trying to help her with the kids, but usually just riling them up and making a big mess. My evenings were with Drew, eating dinner at our favorite dives, and usually coming home to pop in a movie and crash in the middle of it. I tried to forget about Jason, which worked sometimes, and not so much at other times. I also tried to forget about my Halloween costume, and fight the urge to return it for something safer, something more me.

However, when that thought popped in my head, I’d beat it back with the fact that I was tired of being me. Me wasn’t working out so well, and I was ready to change things up.

Still, I was hesitant, and Saturday night came a lot faster than I was expecting it too. I went over to Toni’s to get ready, hoping she would give me a pep talk and boost my confidence.

“Maybe I should try to find something a little less sexy…” I said, as Toni was putting the finishing touches on my makeup.

“You’re not going to find anything on this short of notice Ella. Besides, it isn’t too much. Just relax. Drew’s going to love it.”

“I’m not dressing up for Drew.” I protested.

She waved me off. “Whatever. Did he tell you what he was going to be?”

“Nope. I didn’t really ask though.” I looked in the mirror, and was shocked at what I saw. I wanted to be someone else, and I certainly looked like someone else. My dress was red, with sequins, and probably the tightest thing I’ve ever worn. I was surprised there was room for my strapless bra and thong under there. There was a slit that came practically to my hip, and strapped to my feet were shiny red stiletto’s. They were Toni’s from what she called her “BB” stage. Before Babies. My hair was pulled back tight into a bun, and over it I wore a long, silky red wig. I didn’t look a thing like myself, and I had to smile at whoever the stranger in the mirror was.

The doorbell rang.

“Shit, that’s Drew.” Toni said. She quickly put on a few finishing touches. “Wait here, I’m going to go down and announce you!” She was so excited, I had to smile.

However, when she left the room, I felt the butterflies in my stomach all over again. I don’t know why I was so nervous, it was just Drew, and a bunch of his work friends that I would probably never see again, aside from his Dad.

“Oh God, Drew’s Dad’s gonna see me like this!” I exclaimed allowed to myself. I suddenly wanted to change into something much more modest.

“Ella! We’re ready for you!” Toni had called.

I took a deep breath. It was too late now.

I climbed down the stairs, keeping my head down, embarrassed to look anyone in the eye. I heard someone let out a low whistle.

“Wow.” Nick said.

“Ella… You look…” Drew started.

“Stupid. I know.” I said, looking up at Drew. I was shocked to see he was in a tuxedo.

“Oh God! It’s not a costume party? Why didn’t you tell me!” Feeling even dumber.

“No, El.” Drew said laughing. “It’s a costume party. I’m Bond. James Bond.” He said, pulling out a fake gun.

“Oh.” I said, relieved. It was then that I really looked at Drew, and how good he looked. I had never really seen him dressed up before. And he looked… Good. So good that it made me feel shy and nervous all over again.

“And you’re Jessica Rabbit, right?” He asked, smiling at me. “You make a damn good rabbit.” There was an edge to his voice, and it caused us both to blush.

“You guys better get going. You don’t wanna be late!” Toni said, and then she winked at me. “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!”

She pretty much pushed us out the door. I looked around for Drew’s truck.

“Where’s the truck Drew?” I asked, not spotting it.

“I borrowed a car. I didn’t know what you’d be wearing, and I didn’t know if you’d be able to climb into the truck.” He glanced at me. “Good thing too, there’s no way you’re getting in with that dress on.”

The way he said it made me blush. I felt butterflies rise in my stomach, and that annoyed me. I had wanted things to be different, but not me and Drew. We were perfect the way we were. I didn’t want things to be different between us.

The party was being held at a hotel. It was being thrown by the hotel, and Drew and his Dad had gotten invited since they did the hotel’s landscaping. It was loud and crowded, but I welcomed the noise and the people, it made me feel less alone with Drew, and some of the nervousness left. Drew got us some drinks, and that helped more nervousness leave. By the time we hit the dance floor, I felt like me again, and I did my best to bust a move, despite my tight dress.

However, I kept meeting all of Drew’s co-workers, and it seems like every time I did, someone would bring me a drink. I should have known better, but I didn’t. I drank, and danced, and we ran through the buffet a couple of times. An hour into the party, I was feeling pretty good, and I think Drew was too.

One of the co-workers broke out his digital camera and began snapping pictures of everyone and everything. This, of course, made me act like a fool, trying to show off and do funny things in the photos. When you’re drunk you just don’t realize that the pictures will be posted all over facebook the next day. Or, maybe you do, but you don’t care.

At some point, I forgot about the camera (although, I’m sure it was still there, snapping away) and without speaking, Drew and I entered into some sort of dance contest. We had never really danced together before, at least, not like this. Drew’s hands had never touched me before the way they were touching me now. Had I been sober, I would have realized how good it felt, and that would have freaked me out. I didn’t realize this, I don’t even think I realized that he was my best friend, Drewbie. And so, I grinded back against him, flipping my fake hair, touching his chest. I was flirting with him.

Eventually I felt all those drinks, and desperately needed to pee, so when Hannah, one of Drew’s co-worker’s girlfriends, said she was going to the bathroom, I tagged along with her.

I peed, washed my hands, and inspected my hair and make up in the mirror. Despite the heat and sweat, it had held up nicely. I leaned against the sink, enjoying the cooler air, quietness, and waiting for Hannah to finish.

“I hope this doesn’t offend you,” she said, exiting the stall and going to wash her hands. “But Drew never mentioned he had a girlfriend. I mean, I did wonder, he never wanted me to fix him up with anybody, but he never said anything. How long have you guys been together?”

“Oh.” I said, laughing. “Drew and I aren’t together.”

“Really?” She said, smoothing some lip gloss over her lips. “You two just look so… Perfect for each other. And in love.”

“No.” I said more firmly. “We’ve just known each other for forever. I guess we’re just in sync.” I said, not being able to stop the nervous laughter that came out of my mouth.

Hannah shrugged, and placed her gloss back in her purse. She pushed open the bathroom door, and I followed her out, back into the hot air and pounding music. My nerves were back, and I didn’t follow Hannah back on the dance floor, instead choosing to go back to the table, to sit down, regroup, get my head back on straight.

It didn’t last long. As soon as Hannah came back out without me, Drew came to find me.

“Tired?” He asked, plopping down next to me, and picking up someone’s beer.

“Not really. Just a little noisy in here. I’m starting to feel a little closed in.” I said, looking down at my shoes.

“You wanna go for a walk? Get some air?” He asked.

“Yeah. That sounds good.” I replied. I stood, and he offered his arm. I laughed, and linked mine with his.

We went out the side door, the cooler air hitting up immediately. We passed by a couple of smokers, Drew taking the lead, seeming like he knew where he was going.

“Where you taking me?”

“Someplace quiet where they won’t hear you scream.” He joked, winking at me.

We ended up in a back garden, sitting on a bench in front of a fountain. There were a few flowers and tree’s hanging in there, but mainly it was bare, except white Christmas lights twinkling on the trees. Drew took off his jacket and dropped it around my shoulders, and I smiled back gratefully.

We sat in silence for a moment, listening to the music that was filtering out from the ballroom.

“You look good tonight, Ella.” Drew spoke softly.

“Thanks.” I said, patting him on the leg. “You don’t look half bad yourself.” I said, smiling back at him.

Inside the ballroom, the harder, club beats fell away, and Michael Buble came on, crooning “the way you look tonight”.

“Can I have this dance?” Drew asked, standing and offering his hand.

“Oh come on.” I said, laughing.

“I’m serious Ella. I don’t think I’ve ever had the honor of slow dancing with you.”

“I think you’re taking this James Bond act a little too far, Mr. Smooth Talker.” I teased. Still, I slipped my hand in his, and let him pull me to my feet. His arms slipped around my waist, pulling me close. I moved my arms around his neck, and laid my head on his shoulder. I’ll admit, it felt good, better than I thought it would. We swayed to the music slowly, and when the song ended, we continued to sway.

Finally, I looked up at Drew, to thank him, and that’s when he leaned down and kissed me.

38 comments:

OOOOOOOHHHHHH, that was sooooooooo great!!! And, I think, unfortunately for Drewbie, so not the riight time!

-Laura, just write a book already, I'd buy it!

 

OMGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! I knew it would happen when she started feeling all nervous about Drew seeing her in her costume!!!!!!!!!! It just had to happen!!!! OMGGG!!!
though i agree with Loner, it's a pretty bad time!!

 

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Is all I can say!

MzzMechell

 

I just hope she doesn't break Drew's heart. I want them to be together, but I don't see that happening right now.

 

Yay! This needed to happen a long time ago! So perfect for each other!

 

Aww... my heart actually flip-flopped a little.

 

Ok, picture two little 13 year old girls talking about the hottest guy in school...can you hear that high pitched girly squeeling? Thats exactly what I did after I finished reading this post! lol.
Great post Laura!

 

It was so hard NOT to squeal, but I can't since I'm reading this at work. YAY!!!

I know timing might be off, but Ella needs to just get with the program because her and Drew are so meant for each other!

I heart Drew.

 

You guys really love Drew, don't you? What do you guys think Drew looks like? I know other blogs have done this, and I don't want to steal anyones idea, but it IS a good idea. Tell me, what celebrity do you think Drew looks like, Jason looks like, and Jacob looks like? I have an idea...

 

In answer to Laura...Drew a little more like Matt Damon, Jason like McSteamy on Greys - too full of himself but still good looking, and Jacob...hmmm not really a big fan so I tend to think of him as more of an immature but cute young 20-something guy.

 

love this post:)
sry won't play the who does it look like game, i like my mental photos but go ahead and i'll skip em:) LOL
nice and oh please ella, jump!

 

Finally!!!! I swear I'm squealing in my head right now!

I love Drew and Ella together!!!

Monday can't come soon enough!

 

FINALLY!!! i even let out a bit of a scream when i finished it. but i agree with loner and leilany...it's a shit time for ella, but maybe it'll work out!

 

Soooo romantic. I do believe that, in that situation, a kiss between Ella and Drew was required. ;-) I just hope it wasn't just the alcohol making them act that way, at least not entirely. Hm, what else could the booze and the situation make them do??

 

Yay, I totally wanted to squeal too!!! I also agree that something bad is going to happen to Drew the timing is just so off for Ella.

I agree I don't like to put a real face on the character. I never liked books with the characters pictures on the outside as a kid, and now when I watch movies based on books I've read I'm always dissipointed by how the character looks.

 

I think Drew looks like McDreamy on Grey's anatomy. Jason more like Jude Law, maybe the player aspect. And Jacob Jason Castro (is that his name??) from American Idol.

That's how i picture them.

Also Finally!!!!!Ah I love you Drew.

 

Hell ya!!!
Laura, how could we not love Drew?? You've created such a great character I think I'm in love! haha. I was wondering for a bit there, either he is totally in love with Ella or he's gay and hasn't told anyone.

 

Omg, I knew you were going to end this with a cliff hanger!! Now we have to wait until Monday!! Comon Ella see what is right before you eyes!! He is sooo perfect for you!!

 

Charactor description Hmmm, I have pictures in my head. I'm not so good at putting them with actors. Drew I have pictured as dark haired, dark eyes that can look right through you. You know the kind you can get lost in. With a well built body but overly so. Shy and quiet. Jason, a sexy redhead well built from the marines. Short marine cut hair. Blue piercing eyes, ice blue. Sexy and confident to the point of being cocky. Jacob I picture extremely well built, body builder style. Dark short hair. brown eyes, confident but not cocky like Jason.

 

Oh and yes I am soooo in love with Drew, I want a Drew!!!

 

Drew is PERFECT!! And PERFECT for Ella! I swear, I will be so mad and upset if this doesnt work out! And if Ella hurts him... one she is crazy, and two it will just make me so much more mad at her!!
Please Laura, PLEASE have this work out!!!!

 

I agree with anon that said Drew in my mind looks like Patrick Dempsey(McDreamy) only a younger version. Jason I don't know I can't really picture him. Not sure why. But Jacob I picture as Taylor Lautner looking. Just real beefy young and adorable. And I know you didn't ask but greg looks like David Arquette to me. okay looking but totally not my type. ( i really don't like greg)

This post made my heart flutter. I love it. Get your man ella don't let all your doubts stand in the way. You two are meant to be.

OT-Laura pertaining to yesterdays post. You are amazing. You truly are and I think it has to do with how you address everyone and your honest but down to earth attitude. You are real and I really respect your work and you as a person. I say this because I went to another blog that you don't really like ( me either I read when I am bored) And I could never see anyone leaving comments that they leave her. I believe it has to do with you as a person.
-Angie

 

So i know you have described the Characters to us before but i seriously throw the descriptions out! I love to picture my own characters. It is also so fun to hear what other people picture them as. I think Taylor Lautner is right on for Jacob! since we don't hear about him now i picture him as a kid! I see Jason as Wentworth Miller.I picture matt as channing tatum... and lastly Drew... I picture him as a Paul Walkerish with his blue eyes and smile that makes your heart melt... but i see him taller and more muscular.

 

Oh i forgot Greg.. I picture him as a younger ben stiller... Funny but seriously a what was a thinking moment!! He grosses me out! i don't know why but i am totaly not a greg fan!

 

Ella is a jennifer morrison from house, the brunette jennifer morrison not the blonde, I picture Kayla as a blonde like a Kristen Bell... and i picture michelle as like a Mila Kunis... Cute but a little slutty looking

 

I agree with the young Patrick Dempsey description for Drew. Jason, in my head looks like this guy Kinsey McLean who's on Greek. Jacob I picture as Jake from the last season of the Bachelorette, but maybe it's just cause they have the same name.
Great post. I hope they don't mess things up between them. I want them to either be together, or stay friends.

 

I picture Greg as that really good magician on America's Got Talent. The one with the wife and other pretty girls helping him. But younger. Anyhoo I just thought of something awful. Ella's going to kiss Drew back, they are going to go back to his place and have wonderful sex and Drew is going to confess his undying love to Ella. Then Ella is going to find out she is pregnant, because they didn't think about using anything in their buzzed state. So then Ella is going to wonder if the morning after think didn't work and she;s pregnant with Jason's baby, and she'll do what Ella does best and run from Drew. But will tell Jason and Jason will ruin his marriage trying to get Ella. Oh I can just think of what a mess this could be....

 

(anyone want a little laugh. go over to diary of j comments in the last post. It has me cracking up.)

Drew is smooth!!

 

oh man. i feel like this is going to be a bad thing. like so not the timing for ella. oh man. oh man.

LOVE IT!!

 

Does anyone else notice how much of a playa Ella is?? LOL. Girl has got game without even trying.

 

Loved this post! Can't wait to read more.
Sorry, not gonna say which celebrity they look like. There are no celebs close enough to the picture in my mind. I agree with previous posts about movies and pictures ruining what I picture.

 

AHHH I love this blog. Seriously this is amazing an you are a really great writer. That post was awesome and I can't wait to read more.

Another blog is:

thruindianeyes.blogspot.com

 

OH YAY!!!! I was so excited when I read the end of this post. I have wanted her to hook up with Drew since like the beginning. But then again - I really do like Matt... So I dunno.

As for how they look, I have to agree, I keep picturing Jacob as an older Taylor Lautner - but I'm fairly certain that's just because he plays Jacob in the twilight movies. Otherwise... Let's see... I kind of picture Jason as one of those pimply kids from that Adam Sandler movie (You know - "McDoyal Rules!) I really see Matt as looking like Matt Damon - but again, it's the name thing. I don't really have a mental picture for Greg... and Drew is just a person I made up in my head. I can't really relate him to a celebrity. I like the younger Patrick Dempsy idea tho.

OT - I got an actual word for verification. Crazy!

 

waiting for monday will be torture :( but i also have a feeling this wont end so well between drew and ella and it will be ELLA's fault!!!

 

I'm going to gloat for a moment, because I totally guessed Jessica Rabbit :)

I was also totally team Jason, but this post had me leaning towards team Drewbie. Heart flutters to be had! <3

 

I hope Ella doesn't ruin this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Drew, and I really want to see them end up together. I also don't want to see them head to the bedroom just yet, I think there is a lot more romance potential between them than just sezual potential. :-/

 

maybe I'm showing my "child of the 80's" side, but I see Drew as Jason Gedrick, or whatever his name is, he was in Iron Eagle with Louis Gossett, Jr., OR John Cusack in Say Anything. mum