Possibly bad news

My son just spilled water all over my lap top. I have a desktop, which is how I'm writing to you now, but I only have the blog saved on my laptop. It wasn't a direct hit, but it did get pretty wet, and right after it happened, my laptop was clicking at me. We blow-dried it off, and now we're letting it sit over night to see if that helps, but there may or may not be a post tomorrow.

Sorry guys, it's a bad week for this to happen, seeing as how I'm skipping a post Thursday... But it was totally unexpected. My son has been a terror today and I really think he's hitting his terrible twos early.

Update: As of right now, it looks like it's not going to work. The good news is, it's just a few buttons on the keyboard that's messing up, but the few keys are also the ones I need to use in my password in my login. I wish now I hadn't password protected stuff, but I took my laptop to camp with me and I did it then to keep all the kids out of my stuff, and just never took it off. The good news is, since it's just the keyboard, I can most likely just buy an external keyboard and plug it into my USB port, and everything should be OK. The bad news about that is, I probably won't be able to get to it till the weekend. I'm still hoping though that I'll wake up tomorrow and everything will be dried out and working. Sorry again guys. But, I will leave you guys on another good note (for me at least) We found out tonight that we won a trip to the Bahamas. So. Yay!

13 comments:

That sucks! I hope that your laptop isn't totalled, they are fairly durable, hope it works out.

 

Don't turn it on for a while, I had a dog pee on my laptop and I didn't know it and turned it on and it started smoking and now it's fried.

 

It's ok, hun, don't worry about it. You have enough on your mind without worrying about posting for us. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. No worries! :)

 

I feel your pain on the terrible twos. My son became a terror pretty much the day after his first birthday. I'm hoping since he started so early he'll get over it before his 2nd birthday.

 

My son hit the terrible two's before two, then he had the trying three's, and the fearsome four's...he's now, a pretty good kid. My daughter, she hit the terrible two's at about 13 months...she is now 18 months and far worse than my son....it should be interesting...

 

I know how you feel Laura, my daughter dumped a coke on my laptop and COMPLETELY fried it. Which really really sucked because every single picture I had since her birth was on that laptop :(
We're still trying to figure out a way to get the files off the hard drive.
But hey, congrats on winning that trip! That is the most awesome thing ever and I'm totally jealous!

 

I had juice spilled on my desk top keyboard a while back. I blew it out with one of those can thingys and then got some cleaner stuff and just cleaned the keys for a couple days. It's working pretty good now.

 

Sorry about your keyboard but congrats on the trip! When you get to update you do - we all understand you have a life that doesn't revolve around our obsession with your blog - and yes, it is an obsession! :-)

 

Yeah, as of this morning it won't let me use the shift key, the a key, the s key, or the z key. The thing that sucks most is I have today and Friday's post written, so if I could get into my files, all I would have to do is copy and paste. But, my password has an 'a' and a 'z' in it. So, I can't get in. I logged onto my husbands account to try to see if I could find a random 'a' and 'z' and copy and paste, but it won't let me copy and paste into the password. So, it really looks like it won't be up till this weekend.

The vacation was a nice surprise though. When they called I handed the phone to my husband, because I "win" vacations ALL the time, but there's always a catch, like we have to buy a time share, we have to pay for airfare and it's a billion dollars, or whatever. But according to my husband, it's legit. The only thing we DO have to pay is taxes on it, which is like, 200 bucks. But airfare's included, our meals are included, the only thing that isn't is alcohol. But that's OK because I've seen too many 20/20's where someone gets drunk and gets thrown off the cruise ship or goes missing or whatever. So, sometime next year Ella and I will be taking a cruise to the bahamas :-)

 

LOL, I just spilled water on my keyboard at work! It was working pretty badly before, so if anyone asks, I'll just say it was like that already, heehee!

Congrats on your vacation!

 

Don't know if this will work for your laptop, but, if it is just the keys that are messed up you may be able to connect a separate keyboard to your laptop. I used to do this with a laptop I had at work. I had a keyboard, mouse and monitor that I would connect to. Good luck!

 

You should be able to take the keyboard from your desk top and hook it up to you laptop... at least that is what i do with my key board, I hate the lap top key boards.. Hope your laptop survives, if not staples has a really good sale on a sweet HP laptop!

 

If you're on Windows, you can use alt codes (at least, I'm pretty sure you can use them in a password box.. not 100% but it's worth a try).

Go to Start, Programs/All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click on Character Map. You can find the codes for the A and Z keys (hold Alt and press the corresponding numbers) A is alt 65, a is alt 97, Z is alt 90, z is alt 122. Hopefully that'll hep.