Thought I couldn't live without you, it's gonna hurt when it heals too...

I stood in the kitchen, flipping the card over in my hand, growing more and more confused. He was sorry? For what? For sleeping with me? Or for picking Kayla over me? He’d fix it? How was he going to fix it? Was he going to tell Kayla? Was he going to leave me alone? What was going on?

And, how was this ‘too personal’ to read over the phone? Matt didn’t know that I had slept with Jason. Nobody but Jarren did. I was expecting it to be a declaration of love or some gooey love note, or a sappy note for of regret. And all it was, was two sentences.

I had expected to feel sad, but instead I was just filled with anger. I was angry at Matt for making me worry over something that could quite possibly be nothing. I was angry at Jason for once again leaving me with so many unanswered questions.

I threw the card into the trash, and even though it was late, dialed Jason’s number.

“Hello?” He answered quietly. He didn’t sound like he had been asleep.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” I shouted.

“Ella…” I heard him rustling. I imagined him in bed with Kayla, slipping out as quietly as possible so she wouldn’t know.

“No. No. You don’t get to say anything, you just need to listen. I told you, you needed to figure your shit out. You needed to get it together and decide what you were going to do. And you need to leave me out of it. All I want from you Jason is to leave me alone.”

“So. You got the flowers.” Was what he answered.

“Yeah. And you’re stupid cryptic note.”

“What about the letter?”

That stopped me in my tracks.

“What letter?” I asked, looking on the counter for something I missed.

“I wrote a letter. It should have come with the flowers. You know those little cards they give you to write in are like an inch big. I couldn’t say everything I needed to say.”

“I don’t want to hear anything you have to say. I’m done. Do you understand that? I’ve been doing this for years Jason, and every time it’s the same thing. It never changes, and it’s just so old. You go back to your wife. You do right by her, and you stay the hell away from me.” I said, slamming the phone down.

I was worked up, and angry. I was tearing up the kitchen, looking for this stupid letter. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do when I found it. I kept bouncing between tearing it up, reading it, or just… I don’t know. I knew now, nothing that Jason was going to tell me was going to matter. He was just hot air, a mirage, full of promises, but not action. I had Drew, and Drew was what I wanted all along.

“Ella, what are you doing?”

I jumped a mile in the air. I turned around and saw a groggy Matt, half asleep, looking very confused.

“Did I get a letter?”

“What?”

“I just called Jason. He said a letter came with his flowers.”

“Oh…” Matt was looking more awake now. He spotted the tiny card that was in the trash. “Here.” He said, handing it to me.

“No. A letter. Not a card. A letter.”

“Ella…” He trailed off. He was looking guilty.

“What did you do with it?” I snapped.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

“Quit lying. You said that whatever he said was too personal to read. Nothing on that card was personal. What did you do with the letter he sent?”

“Ella…” He tried again.

“NO!” I cut him off. “The letter Matt. All I want to know is where the letter is.”

“Gone.” He said, looking me in the eyes.

“Where?”

“I threw it away. You didn’t need to read it Ella, it was only going to hurt you.”

I stopped looking for it, and stood, staring at him.

“Ella..” He started again.

“Who the hell do you think you are?” I managed to spit out. I realized it was the same thing I had said to Jason moments earlier.

“I just…”

“No. I’m a big girl. I’ve been dealing with Jason a long time before you came.”

“And you’re not doing so hot with it, are you now?” He snapped back.

“Every guy who waltzes into my life thinks he needs to protect me from myself. And none of them stop to think about who’s going to protect me from them when they inevitably turn into a huge jackass.” I snapped back, walking around him and into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

To say I was pissed off would be an understatement. I don’t know how I ended up with all these self righteous jackasses in my life who thought that they could do whatever they wanted. I was mad at Jason for thinking that sending me flowers was just going to undo all the damage that he had done. There was no doubt in my mind that he thought of those flowers as a peace offering. A “let’s go back to how we were” token. Now, without the letter, I didn’t know if he wanted to go back to the us that we were when we were a couple, or the us that we were when he was with Kayla. And then there was Matt. While it was true that no matter what the letter revealed, I was done with Jason, I still wanted to know. I had every right to know. I was so sick of having these guys jump in and act like it’s their right to decide what was best for me. It’s true that Jason had broken a part of me that I didn’t know if I could ever fix, it was true that he hurt me, and it’s true that some of that was my own fault. That sometimes I did let him hurt me. But, it was also true that every time Jason pushed me down or left, I got back up. I was taking OK care of myself. I was still standing after all.

I didn’t sleep. I tried too, but I was just so angry. I gave up and got dressed, slipping out of the house and heading to work early. I had a lot of work to catch up on anyway, and I didn’t feel like bumping into Matt this morning. I was hoping to be able to avoid him at work.

I drove to work blasting Elton John, trying to sing myself into a better mood. I knew if I saw anyone while I was this pissed off, I wouldn’t be able to help but take my piss poor mood out on them. That wasn’t fair. However, Elton couldn’t do the trick. I took comfort in knowing that it would be a few hours before anyone came in, and I would let myself wallow for a little bit and just hope that when I saw someone, I could fake it and not bite their heads off.
I let myself in with my key, locking the door behind me. The neighborhood wasn’t that great, and I always hated coming in early, because the building was big and creepy and made lots of weird noises. I made sure to flip on a lot of lights along the way to my office to make it feel a little better.

I sat at my desk, flipping open my email. I smiled when I saw I had one from Drew.

Hey-
We’re idiots! Thanksgiving in on Thursday, and it looks like both of us forgot. I have a short week. Is it OK if head up there Wednesday night and do Thanksgiving with your family? I can spend the weekend. I miss you and can’t believe I have to wait three days to see you.

With all the drama going on, I did completely forget about Thanksgiving. I knew my parents wouldn’t care about Drew coming, but I did make a mental note to call my Mom and ask if I could bring anything, and I should probably tell them that Drew and I were dating. I knew my Mom would be excited about that. She loved Drew.
Only three more days to see him. Maybe this week wouldn’t be so horrible. I wondered though, if Matt was planning on going home, or if I should suck it up and be polite and ask him to my families house?

12 comments:

Yes Ella, forgive Matt, it was totally uncalled for for him to throw away the letter, but he did it out of concern the same that Drew told Jason that Ella didn't love him anymore. She is right, all her guy friends just want to jump in and protect her. Funny. Course I think Matt has it bad for Ella too.

 

I think Matt was WAY outa line, he's known Ella for like a second and thinks that he can make those decisions for her?! thats such crap, I would be pissed if it was Drew (preboyfriend status) or something of that calibur of friend who did it, but at least they would have had the right to... well not really but closer to it.

Ya I agree to forgive him, what else can she do? kick him outa the house. But I would let him know it was not his place to make that call for her.
Kat

 

Whoa! ok that explains my confusion from the last post about the note being 'too personal.' Phew! With that being said I totally think Matt was out of line on throwing it away. He has not been around long enough to be THAT into her messes, but also she DOES have Drew now and anything Jason would've had to say could ruin things with Drew. Here's hoping Jason stays quiet - and away, and Ella stays with Drew - happily!

 

Anyone else thinking that there was absolutely NO reason for Matt to read the letter? The card said it was from Jason, did it not? He wouldn't have needed to even open it, and yet he did!

 

Not good enough. Matt's lucky she didn't kick him out. I'd still want to know what was in the letter. In fact, I probably would have been digging through the trash, with Matt, looking for it! mum

 

Wow, Matt...Boundary issues much? So who thinks that once Jason finds out that Ella is happy w/ Drew, he'll suddenly be 100% committed to getting her back, no matter how many lives he destroys along the way. And, then if he succeeds in getting her back, he won't want her anymore.

 

Babsiegirl, yea Jason probably will. And I think Ella asked Matt to read it to her, the card anyway. That's when he said it was too personal.

 

Who the hell does Matt think he is!?!?!? He's just a house guest and he throws out her personal letter. I mean what is that!? What do you think his motivation is? Does he think he's protecting her from hurt because he's in love with her?

 

Matt is officially on Greg status in my book. I don't want ella to forgive him. He crossed a line. a big line in my eyes. He had no right to read the letter and he had no right at all to throw it out. He needs to be concentrating on his own problems. And I will be pissed at ella if she forgives him Protecting her my a*#! You were being a selfish inconsiderate jerk. I hate guys with those god complexes.

 

I agree with you Mum. Jason will want her back when he finds out about Drew. Poor Ella, I hope she keeps her head on straight and stays with Drew.

 

Just started reading this over the weekened and got caught up and I am loving it. I think Ella should forgive Matt. Yes it was out of line but he wasn't trying to be malicious. In fact, I think he is crushing on her as well. But they really need to talk and set some boundaries.

And I hope Jason stays away. Drew has always been there for Ella, love her, and treats her the way she deserves. Jason may love her in a way but it is a selfish love and she deserves better.

 

AH! When one of the girls is sick at work I have to start at 6am... it sucks! normally when I start at 8am theres always a new post up (I'm on the westcoast) just another reason getting up at 4:30 am sucks!