When you see my face, hope it gives you hell

It was easy, being with Jacob. I had thought it was easy to be with Jason, but after being with Jacob I realized that Jason and I spent most of our time arguing. While it could be compared to the great love story of Allie and Noah from The Notebook, most of the time it didn’t feel that romantic, just exhausting. Jason and I both had such short tempers, and big buttons that both of us knew how to push. We were constantly setting each other off. Jacob and I just had fun, and it didn’t matter what we were doing, it was just… Fun.

I didn’t get much sleep being with him either, but it’s not because of why you might think. While we did plenty of… Well, that, mostly it was because we’d lay down in bed together, planning on sleeping, and just start talking. I could talk with Jacob for hours, and we never ran out of things to say. We’d start off on something simple, what we were going to do tomorrow, and the next thing we knew, the conversation would have branched out into what we were doing for the rest of our lives, and then what we thought the future was like, and if we’d ever get the point where the Jetsons were a reality…. We’d bounce from one place to another, one rambling, pointless conversation after another, and the next thing I knew, it was four AM and we were both wide awake.

It was in one word, amazing. I did spend some time with his Mom, as well. She told me that while she loved her rough and tumble boy, she did always want a daughter, and looked forward to the day when Jacob settled down and she’d have one. She took me shopping, to the spa, out to eat… And she was so much like Jacob that it was easy being with her too. So easy, in fact, I often found myself forgetting she was his Mother and gushing on and on about how great he was. At one point I even let it slip that I could easily see myself marrying Jacob. As soon as it came out, I was horrified. I had only physically been with Jacob for a week, if that, and while we did talk through email while he was deployed, that was still not even a year. Who says things like that? I was afraid I looked like some crazy clingy freak who just had her sights set on marrying the first man that came alone.

Jacob’s Mom, however, just laughed. And then she told me that if Jacob was lucky enough to get me, she’d certainly be happy to have me as her daughter-in-law. That made me beam. I was so used to Jason, again, and his family who, with the exception of his little sister, barely tolerated me. His Dad was such an angry man, and his Mother such a broken woman that I never got to know them. And here I was, feeling like I was best friends with Sandy after only a little bit of quality time.
Everything was going so great, but still, I was paranoid. Every place Jacob took me, I wondered if Michelle would be there. Things were going so great, that I couldn’t help but think that someone or something would pop up to ruin it. I didn’t think I was a pessimistic person, but it seemed to me that when it came to relationships, it was never this easy.

“So. How’s it going?” Toni asked me one night I was there. She had called to tell me that they had seen the baby for the first time on ultrasound, a tiny little blob that Nick had named Ping, since they didn’t know the sex and it looked so much like a ping pong ball.

“Good. Really good. I just can’t wait to get home though.”

“Why? Sandy driving you nuts?” I heard her munch down on something.

“No. She’s great, but being here just puts me on edge. I kept expecting

Michelle to pop up and cause some drama. What are you eating?” I asked, slightly annoyed at the loud crunches in my ear.

“Celery. It’s so good.” She said, munching some more. “Michelle’s not going to pop back up, so just relax and have a good time.”

“You hate celery. And how do you know that Michelle’s not going to show up somewhere? She’s like, fifteen different types of crazy. I think random stalker is included in that.”

“She’s crazy, yes. I’ll give you that. She’s also smart, and she just took a HUGE blow to the ego. She’s not going to come back right now. She’s too busy licking her wounds and plotting. I don’t think she’s gone for good, but I think she’s smart enough to wait until you’re gone before she makes a move.”

“Oh great.” I moaned, “now I just need to worry about her making a play for Jacob when I’m not around.”

“Yeah. I mean, she’ll try. But, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Jacob wouldn’t have picked you over her if he didn’t really want you. He’s not a game player, if he wanted her, he would have chose her. You’ve got nothing to worry about.”

“How do you know all this stuff?”

I heard Toni munch down on another piece of celery. It cracked loudly in my ear.

“I don’t know. It’s like, if I were still dating, I probably would have told you to be paranoid, and watch your back and protect your man and all that. Once you get married though, it’s like the clouds part and you can see other people’s relationships so clearly.”

“Well thanks for sharing your wisdom, oh wise one.” I joked.

“Thanks for listening to me and not wrecking the best relationship you’ve had yet.” She joked back.

I took Toni’s advice to heart, and decided the next day with Jacob (which happened to be my last in his hometown) I would relax. I would stop looking for Michelle every place we went, stop panicking every time I saw a girl who looked slightly like her, and I would just have fun.

We spent the day with his Mom, going to all the museums and local hot spots they had in their town. You know the kinds of places you go to during every school field trip? We went to a bunch of those. We hit favorite local restaurants for breakfast and lunch, and Jacob’s Mom cooked us a huge homemade meal for dinner. I really felt like I had an idea of who Jacob was now, an inside look as to how he grew up. I could picture him, a little boy, (although when I picture adults as children it’s always the adult head plastered onto a child’s body,) running the streets, playing soccer, raising hell. All the stories Sandy had told me really came together in my head, and I really felt like I knew Jacob a whole lot better.

“So, kids. What are you up too tonight?” Sandy asked, clearing away our dinner plates. I stood up to help her.

“I wanted to take Ella over to the club. See what we can get into.”

Sandy paused, and gave Jacob a look. “Are you sure you want to do that?”
“Yeah. Why not?” Jacob answered, shrugging.

“Well, Ella can’t really dance, not with her ankle. It’s going to be loud and hot…”

“Yeah, but Ella likes music, and they’ll have a live band. We can just go and sit and listen.” Jacob argued back.

Sandy gave him another long look. Then she turned to me. “Does that sound like something you want to do hon?”

Now it was my turn to shrug. “If it’s too much we can always leave. Right?” I asked, looking at Jacob.

“Right.” He answered.

After I got freshened up, I went to meet Jacob downstairs. He was in the kitchen with his Mom. I could tell that they were arguing, but their tones were harsh, and I couldn’t make out what they were arguing about. I tried to eavesdrop for a few moments, straining my ears, afraid that they were fighting over something I did, but I still couldn’t hear. I decided that it was better to not know, rather than to get caught listening in, so I walked into the kitchen where Jacob and his Mom stopped talking.

“Well. Have fun kids.” She said, her voice strained. She was giving Jacob that look again.

“We will.” Jacob answered, breezing out of the house.

“What was that all about?” I asked once we were in his car.

“What?”

“You and your Mom? Arguing? She was shooting you looks? Did I do something?”

“No. God no, Ella. She loves you. So much I think if she could disown me and adopt you she would.”

“Well, then what’s going on?”

“She’s just worrying over dumb stuff. You know, she’s a Mom.” He answered.

Even though he didn’t really tell me anything, I decided to drop it. I was here to have fun, and as long as I hadn’t done something to piss off Sandy then I wasn’t going to worry about it.

Jacob let me out in front of the club and went to go find a parking spot. It was a little chilly, and I was glad he had handed me his coat before he left. I wrapped it around me and leaned up against the wall, trying to get support. My arms were starting to kill me, being on crutches, but at the very least they were also starting to get toned.

Jacob walked up a few moments later, and we went to go stand in line. He wrapped his arms around me, rubbing my arms to help warm me up. I snuggled into him, excited for an evening of music and dancing… Well, chair dancing for me. I loved live music, and I got excited over the prospect of finding a new band to listen too. We talked while we waited, we had gotten there early, and while that meant good seats for us, it also meant waiting a little bit until they decided to let people in.

I was feeling relaxed, chatting with Jacob about the places I was going to take him when he came to visit me. I should have known that’s when it would happen.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her. Or at least I thought I did. I had seen Michelle all over the place since getting her. I turned to get a better look, to assure myself that it wasn’t in fact her.

It was her. And just as I was trying to duck her, to avoid being seen, she turned and spotted us.

14 comments:

Good 'ol Michelle to add some drama. I think that's why "mom" and Jacob were arguing. She knew Michelle would be there. Can't wait to see what the little bit** does.

 

What can you count on in life? Death, taxes, and Michelle! mum

 

I just discovered this blog a few days ago. My dad died Saturday, and I've needed a distratction. So, catching up on all of your posts has been a great blessing to me. I'm really enjoying this story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

 

Oh, man, I was biting my nails just waiting for Michelle to show up. Lo and behold, there she was!!

@babsiegirl: I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you'll find this a great place to talk about whatever you're feeling. There's a lot of great people that read this blog that also read the comments and support each other. My prayers are with you.

 

hi larua
wanted to say great post, have been thinking of u and hope some rays of sunshine are getting thru. take care

 

Okay if Michelle is smart (which I don't count on) she would go over, say hi ask how they are doing (even if it is only directed to Jacob) and walk off.

However, with her history of being a c*nt I see her walking over, saying something about how she wants to talk to Ella and explain (asking Jacob to get them drinks) and becomes major b*tch to Ella until Jacob is back.

And I am resigned to find out come Monday/Tuesday. I wouldn't at all expect to see a post on Thanksgiving (and maybe even that Friday).

 

Babsie- I'm so sorry that happened. My Dad died when I was five, and while I won't say I know what you're going through (I don't, there's no way I could, and I always hated it when people said it to me) I can... Understand it? I don't know. You would think that since I've been through something similar I would know what to say, but all I know is so far no one's ever told me a right thing. The situation sucks, and again, I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through it. Feel free to email me if you want to talk, vent, or be distracted.

Mum, your comment made me laugh. Unfortunately, I was reading it while in the doctor's office (Cayden had his second h1n1 shot today) so I looked kinda crazy.

Jen- Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be updating you guys tomorrow on what's going on.

Amanda- I keep going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to post after Wednesday. I don't want to leave you guys hanging, I know that blows, but I don't think I'm going to have time to write and post Thursday, plus I don't know how many people would read it that day anyway. As far as Friday, that's iffy too. My husband took Friday off so we could go shopping (this was before we realized what our budget looked like) so he's off and I'd like to spend time with him. All I can say is if there's going to be a post on Thursday, it probably won't be up till the evening, and Friday's if I post will be up in the early afternoon.

 

laura you ll always know how to keep us on the edge of our seats. :) this story is turning out so wonderfully. thank you!
-Sheena

 

Babsie~I lost my father 5 years ago and there is nothing to say. No one knows how you feel, they know how they felt but everyone's emotions are as different as the relationship with their dad. My prayers go out to you, it is difficult. Remember the good times.

 

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm blessed with a supportive husband and some great friends and family members. Dad was receiving hospice care in our home for the past couple of months, so it wasn't a surprise. And, truly it was a blessing to see his suffering come to an end. But, yeah, I'm sad, and kind of apathetic right now. Again, thanks for the distraction!

 

Dang, I forgot you guys have Thanksgiving holiday. I live in Chile, so no turkey for me! *Snif*

 

Babsiegirl, I'm sorry for your as well and will keep you in my prayers. I've lost both my parents, I don't think you ever truly get over the loss, just kind of accept it. Yea and there is no right words to say. My mother died when I was 11 and everyone kept telling me how sorry they were. And I just couldn't understand why they were sorry, it wasn't their fault. Strange the way you think when you are young.

 

Fenhu, it's nice to see people from different cultures on here. I'd send you some Turkey if I could lol.

 

Thanks, Laura B! I'll have to settle for a turkey sub from Subway!