Whatever Wednesday: Happy Birthday To Me!

So, Sunday was my birthday. It went OK, there were a few bumps, and overall I think the older I get, as much as I want to be excited about birthdays, they just aren't as exciting anymore. I feel horrible saying that, because my husband tried really hard to make it wonderful, but there were a few things that popped up that he just couldn't expect or really fix.

For one, my biggest birthday present was a new digital camera. I thought about which one I wanted, and had it picked out and all, and Jeremy ordered it. Well, he checked it the next day to see if it had shipped yet, and found out they canceled his order (he ordered through paypal, and was having it shipped to his work, so since his work address wasn't a "verified" paypal address, they wouldn't ship it there.) Well, he was a little upset because he hadn't gotten any type of email that it wouldn't ship. If he hadn't of checked it, he wouldn't have known. We decided to go out and look at other camera's at an actual store, and after talking to the sales person, I actually found one I thought would not only work better, but was also a little cheaper. So we bought that one.

Two days later? Paypal took the money out of our account for the first camera. It wasn't pending at all, they just randomly took it out, but the order was still canceled. This also caused us to overdraft. Fun, eh? So after spending hours on the phone with paypal, they told us they would refund the money TO THE BANK within four business days (which would have been Friday.) Friday rolls around, still no money in the bank. Jeremy calls back, they tell him it's not their policy to refund the money to the bank, but rather to his paypal account (which, that's NOT what they told him. He talked to two different people and they both told him the money would be back in the bank by Friday.) So, I guess the money had actually been sitting in his paypal account since Tuesday (again, when he talked to people, NO ONE told him this.) And now we're waiting for it to be transferred back to the bank.

So that was a bit of a bummer.

But, it was a good thing we had all that drama with Dave and Busters, because we didn't have nearly as many people show as we should have, which was also annoying. I don't really care if you tell me you're not coming, or even that you might come, but I HATE it when people say they're coming, and then just don't show. OK, I get things pop up, but it seems over and over it's the SAME people, and it's always the people that either complain that no one shows or RSVP's to their things, or when I stop inviting them to things, they complain that I don't invite them. But to me, it's like, why ask you to come when I know you aren't going to show anyway?

I have one friend in particular, she was upset that I thought I wasn't going to be able to come to her son's birthday party (she told me it was going to be the 16th, so I said it was going to go. Then she changed it to the 22nd, which I had plans for. But then my plans got canceled and I was able to go.) But she complained the whole time about all her friends who didn't show. Well, I didn't say anything, because she had done the same thing to me a few months ago at Cayden's first birthday party. But then she swore up and down she was coming, and they already had a sitter and yadda yadda yadda. Doesn't show, doesn't even call. I come home to a facebook comment that she was really sorry they couldn't come, but their sitter had canceled. Every time it's something, and it's just so annoying to me. The situation is even more annoying because it was her mother in law she was having babysit, and there's so much drama with that, but we won't get into it.

I sound like I'm complaining a lot. Which is awful, because the people who were there? Were the ones who really mattered. And it was awesome and fun, and I was shocked because they brought me gifts, which I was not expecting at all. I went off my diet and ate a lot of not good for me food, and drank a lot of not good for me alcohol, and it was a good time.

I'm not starting to look ahead to Jeremy's birthday, I would like to get a bunch of his friends out for a surprise party. He's so low key and doesn't ask for much, so I'd like to surprise him.

What else is going on? We're getting ready to file our taxes, we're waiting on Jeremy's last w-2, which will hopefully be here today. Our big plan with our taxes is to get a new car. I hate the one I'm driving now, it's old, it's a junker, it's just.. Ugh. But, there is one thing I do love about it - I don't have a car payment. So we're going to look around and see what we can find. I don't really want a car payment, but if we have a small-short one, I can do that. My dream? Is to find an xl-7 (love them. Dunno why, but I do.) I don't think that's going to happen, but I would really love it if it did. I actually found one, decently priced, it's in Cinci, which is OK, not too far from us, and I LOVE going to Cinci, but alas, they don't have financing for us. I'm really bummed but... Cest La Vie.

Then our plan is to sell our other two cars and get Jeremy a new pick up (and by new, I mean new to us. Jeremy actually prefers his trucks to be old and kinda beat up - as long as they run well, and can haul a load, he doesn't really care what he looks like. We actually both miss his old truck, which was REALLY old, REALLY loud, and REALLY big, we called it big green. We had our first date in that truck. I loved it. I couldn't tell you what it was, but it was a wonderful truck.)

So. I'm excited for that.

What about you guys? What are your plans for your taxes?

Two additional things: I added some of the blog links up on the side again. However, those are ones I had to search for, or get from other blogs that I read. No one posted any blogs. So, again, if you want your blog up, or a blog you love, please comment with the address, and whether it's fiction or non-fiction.

Secondly, I will be wrapping up the flashback posts here in the next few days. I don't LOVE the way they're written, but I was just trying to close things down, so to speak.

Also, I just want to say, I've gotten some really lovely comments lately. I really do appreciate all you guys have to say, good, or bad. It really makes this worth doing, to know people do really enjoy it and like it. So, again, thank you so much!

17 comments:

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! I have an XL7, and I absolutely love it! But, I've had to be back at the dealer a few times w/ minor things (which the warranty covered).

 

Thanks! I'm so jealous you have an XL7, we're looking at a couple of different cars, but my heart is so set on that one. I've just always wanted an SUV, but a lot of them are just SO big, and they don't even have a lot of room (like the number of SUV's we looked at, without a 3rd row seat? Was nuts. I don't really need cargo room, I need seating room!) My husband's gung ho on a mini van, but I just don't like them. I love that all the XL7's we've looked at have the optional 3rd row. And I know that 3rd row isn't huge, but it seems perfect for kids, or if we need the extra seats in a pinch or something.

I dunno though, my husband's starting to get a little crazy with the car shopping though. The xl7 I looked at in cinci was cheap, and while we would still need a loan for it, we could have paid it off pretty quickly, which is the ONLY type of car loan I want, something small and quick to pay off. Now my husband is looking at these more expensive cars, and I'm like ugh please, no. I don't think we'd even get a loan though. I have no credit, which screws me, and my husband has bad credit, which makes him better off than me, but still not good.

 

Ooh! Happy belated birthday!! Apart from the irks, I hope you had a great time. I think everyone has "that friend" that bails out last minute and then complains when you can't make it to one of their events.

In Chile we don't get our taxes back until April, so I'll see then what I do with that little extra cash! Maybe a little vacation.

 

Happy Birthday to you!! As you may remember my birthday is coming up and so is my daughters she'll be all of 13, god help me lol. When I finish college and get a better paying job, I want to look at getting a smaller size SUV. We've had more snow than normal here in MD and my Firebird just sucks in the snow :-)

 

HAPPY late BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Sounds like you had a good time even though there were a few bumps in the road.

I am going car shopping soon too. My van is on its last leg! I hate getting rid of it because it is paid off but now I can't even tell how fast I am going. I want a Challenger but I know that is unrealistic due to the weather but they sure are pretty. I can't afford to have one sitting in the garage when it snows or rains.

Tax money, probably going to pay the taxes on the new what ever I get to drive!!!

Keep up the terrific job of writing, that is what makes my day....I read it at work when I get stressed. Come to think of it I think you need to post a couple 2-3 times a day to help me!! lol

 

Happy Belated Birthday to you! Will we see some new pics with the new camera? ;) Like you said, as annoying as it is, the people that came out to celebrate your day are the ones you want there. :) Good luck on the car shopping!!

 

Happy Belated Birthday!
Speaking of trucks, we have a Dodge Dakota Sport. LOVE it! But then again, it's been my dream vehicle since I was 15!

 

Happy belated birthday!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to vent a little (or, a lot) about birthdays...

Today is mine and the only person in my family who remembered is the one person I thought for sure would forget - my very old and very forgetful grandmother.

My husband leaves for work ridiculously early in the morning but usually sends me texts all day and I haven't heard anything from him. I spent half an hour with my mother this morning and she didn't say anything about it being my birthday. I don't expect my dad to remember, because he just doesn't care. And I doubt my sister will even call (she lives in another state) because she's always too wrapped up in her own life. My sister expects everyone to remember her birthday and send gifts, but she doesn't ever get anything for anyone else's birthday. For her last birthday (in October) I sent her $50 which is a lot since my husband lost his job October 1st and didn't get hired back until December... and my parents and grandmother sent her $200 all together. I got $50 from my grandmother and I'll probably only get a $20 gift card from my parents... even though they're making more money now than they did over my sister's birthday. She's always gotten better presents than me. She got a guitar for Christmas one year and no matter how long I asked for one, my parents refused. She got a tattoo for her 16th birthday and all I got was a t-shirt and a pair of pants for my 16th. My mom promised me a nose ring for my 17th birthday which never happened. I just feel like I'm second rate in this family.

I'm the one who always bakes cakes and plans parties and surprises and everything and nobody even thinks to do any of that for me. If I don't make myself a cake or go out and buy one from the store, I don't get one. If I don't plan to do something for my birthday, nothing happens. My husband and I planned a surprise dinner for my mom last August for her 60th... it wasn't anything huge, just about 15 family and friends at Olive Garden. And for my husband's birthday in December I surprised him with tickets to a hockey game, right on the glass. For my birthday I had to ask my husband to take me out for dinner on Saturday. And I don't feel like I can say any of this to my family or friends because I feel like I'm being selfish wanting people to pay attention to me and do things for me. I mean, my husband doesn't even want to do anything for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day or anything...

And now I'm crying and throwing myself a major pity party.

Sorry for how long and pity partyish that is, I just really needed to get it out and I have no one to talk to because everyone has forgotten... it's not like I can just talk to my husband about how everyone else forgot, because he did too.

Good news though - we got back our refund today and are using it to move back to MN where my husband is originally from and where I spent about 11 years before we moved here (Texas) 2 and a half years ago to be closer to my parents. My husband just got off a second phone interview with a company up there that went really well and he should have his job offer as soon as his background check goes through. So that's my one piece of good news for the day.

 

Wow, that was WAY longer than I thought it was. Sorry for that!

 

Happy Birthday JillyBean!!! You deserve to be loved and cared for on your birthday!!
xoxo

 

Happy Belated, Laura, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLYBEAN! You go right ahead and have your pity party, we are here for you. It's tough when you don't feel appreciated. I'm in the same boat, I'm the planner, the one who does for everyone, but no one does for me. It does hurt your feelings. And not like you do these things because you are expecting something in return, it would just be nice every now and then. You go ahead. I'm having my own pity party with you. mum

PS - and I'm fighting a cold, but I'm at work. Momma's still gotta do laundry, dishes, lunches, etc., right???

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLY BEAN!

I too, was the one who planned everything for everyone else. It IS hard not to feel sorry for yourself, it sucks. Finally I decided that it was on me to have a good day. This birthday was a little eh, but last years was a blast.

I say, don't worry about being selfish. It's YOUR day, meaning you're allowed to BE selfish. I would tell everyone what you want done and tell them they need to make sure they do it. I'm a little bossy like that though :-)

 

Happy Birthday Laura and Jilly!!!

I hate birthdaystoo! Mine I always find depressing, and I almost always end up doing the pity party thing and crying.
My husband and I don't get presents for each other normally but this year since we're not super tight on money he said it was "okay to spoil him a little" now I have no idea what to get him and its in a few days. ARRH
Kat

 

Thanks guys, I'm feeling better. The news about my husband's great interview and the fact we got our tax refund helped a bit. Plus I've gotten about 20 happy birthday's on Facebook.

I usually do plan my own parties, but the last couple of years we've been living in Texas and I don't actually have any friends here. I have some neighbors I'm friendly with, but they're all older than me... as in they're in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. (I turned 23 today.)

I think I'm going to plan a huge housewarming/welcome home party for when we move back to Minnesota.. and I think I'll get quite drunk.. to make up for the fact that my last 3 birthdays (21st, 22nd, and 23rd) have been away from my friends.

And to Anon - Maybe since it's been so long since you've had extra money to do the gift-giving thing you should think back to what you guys used to spend your extra money on... like going out for a nice dinner and a movie or going to a sporting event or ice skating or, I don't know... Maybe something from his past from before you got together? A birthday present doesn't always need to be a thing, you know?

I know my husband used to play hockey with his friends in the winter, so for his birthday I got him tickets to a hockey game. And back when we were dating we used to go frisbee golfing all the time, so I'm thinking sometime this summer I'm going to surprise him with some new discs and a whole day of frisbee golf.

Or, you could always go with the standby of a nice massage for the two of you at like Massage Envy (I think they're about $40 a person for half an hour? Not entirely sure.)

 

A new-ish blog that I read is thruindianeyes.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.

 

Thanks for the ideas Jilly! I've actually got him a gift cirtificate for a massage I wish I lived where u do - it cost 90.00 for a massage just for him, and thats not at an epensive place.

 

Happy 23rd Birthday Jilly Bean!! I'm sorry nobody said anything to you. :(