You got my heart and my head’s lost

Toni tried to keep me occupied for the rest of the night. She chattered on about baby names, going online to look at room designs, asking me questions on everything.

My mind couldn’t be distracted though. I thought only of Drew.

“So. He told Nick he wanted to talk?” I asked, peering over Toni’s shoulder to give her my opinion on a nursery.

“Who?” Toni asked, sounding clueless.

“Drew.” I answered, trying to hide my frustration.

“I guess.” She said, shrugging. “I didn’t talk to Drew.”

“I wonder what he wants to talk about.”

She didn’t answer me, instead clicking through the various pictures of nurseries.

“You know, with Kyle and Izzy, we didn’t find out the sexes before they were born. I’m thinking with this one… Maybe we will. I mean it’ll be nice, in the new house, to decorate the nursery specifically for this little guy or girl.” She said, absently rubbing her non-existent baby bump.

“The little bean.” I said, smiling. I was glad Toni seemed to be feeling better bout the whole situation.

“That’s it! We’ll do a nursery rhyme nursery. If it’s a boy, we’ll stick to the boy-ish ones. Hey diddle-diddle, um, that one where the guy made the house out of the pumpkin…. And Jack in the beanstalk of course… Hey, I kind of like the name Jack you know…” She trailed off with a large yawn.

“Tired?” I asked.

“Exhausted. This has been far worse than my other two pregnancies. You don’t mind if I bail on you for a bit and take a nap?”

“No, go ahead. You can sleep in my bed.”

She handed me her laptop, and I went through a few more sites, absently looking at floor colors and paint colors and design ideas. I wanted to help Toni out, I wanted to suggest what kind of cabinets would look best, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Drew. I didn’t want to get my hopes up, but I did anyway, day dreaming about him coming and sweeping me off my feet, proposing even. I was lost so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t hear the door open.

I jumped when someone touched my shoulder.

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to scare you, I called your name a couple times but you didn’t answer.”

“Matt! What are you doing home? I thought you weren’t coming back till Sunday.”

“Changed my mind. It was nice seeing the fam, but it was boring. Plus, things got a little awkward with Kellie.”

“What happened?” I asked, shutting Toni’s laptop.

“Nothing really. I just don’t think we’ll ever be to the friends stage again. So much has happened between us, and it’s so… Hard. You know? Hard not to act like we’re a couple, because that’s all we’re used too.”

“You’ll get over it, in time.”

He shrugged.

“The rest of your visit was OK though? Your Dad and sister and everyone?”

“Yeah, it was fine.” He looked distracted, I wanted to ask him about it, but something held me back.

“Well. Toni’s here. It’s kind of a long story, but Nick and Drew are coming down tomorrow. They may buy that house down the street.”

“You and Drew made up?” He asked, looking at me.

I shook my head. “Uh uh. He said he wants to talk. Like I said, it’s a long story. But Toni’s going to stay here for a few days. She needs some recovery time.”

He nodded. “Well. I better unpack. I think I’m going to head out tonight for a little bit.”

“Alright, well… Be careful.”

Things with Matt had gotten awkward again, and I hated that. I wondered if Matt and I would ever truly just be friends. There was this chemistry between us that I don’t think either one of us could deny, but most of the time would could at least ignore. Still, it popped up from time to time and ruined everything.

Time moved slow. Toni woke up from her nap, and we went to dinner. We rented a movie on the way home, but halfway through, she fell asleep. I tossed and turned all night, a combination of the uncomfortable couch, and because my mind just wouldn’t shut down about Drew.

The next day, Drew and Nick arrived early, although, I didn’t get to see either one of them. Toni had suggested that I sit this one out. I pouted, but knew she was right. It would be really distracting and awkward for Drew and I to be in the same room together, with all that’s between us. Still, it was hard to be left behind.

After about an hour, I heard a knock on the door. I opened it, and there stood Drew.

“Hi.” I said, opening the door and letting him in. He looked good. He was wearing a v-neck sweater with a white tee underneath, and a pair of jeans. He smelled good too. It took everything I had not to reach for him.

“Hi.” He answered, entering the house.

We went into the living room and sat down.

“Oh.” I said, looking over and seeing his gifts. “I got you these… For Christmas. I… Didn’t return them so…” I felt stupid and clumsy.

“Thanks. I, uh, actually got you something too. I just left it in the car. Nick and Toni went out to lunch to talk about things. I think they’re going to buy the house though.”

“Oh. Good.” I was really excited about that, especially since it meant Drew would be right down the street as well, but I just couldn’t muster it up.

“Look, Ella. I have to do this quickly, because if I don’t, I won’t do it. You look really good, by the way.” He babbled. I noticed for the first time how nervous Drew looked.

“OK…” I trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

“I was really mad at you. But, then I missed you. I thought, maybe we could work on things. I mean Jason told me how you called him and I really do think it’s over between you too…”

“There’s a but coming, isn’t there?” I asked. I could feel it in the air, waiting to fly out and pop my balloon of hope.

“Yeah.” He said, looking sheepish. “I just. I have a lot going on right now. My Mom… My Mom is dating. Jesus. She’s dating this guy, and he’s younger, and he has kids. His wife died… And she’s just… So nice to these kids. Not that she wasn’t nice to me… It’s just that she mothers them. I don’t know… I’m trying to deal with that and the divorce, and then there’s trusting you… I just don’t think I have it in me right now. If that makes any sense.”

“It doesn’t.” I answered honestly. “I just. I love you Drew. I just want to be with you. Through the good and the bad.”

“I know, but I just feel like… This is something I have to do on my own. And I feel like, maybe we rushed things too. I just want to make sure that when we’re together, it’s right. I’m just not feeling that right now.”

“So what am I supposed to do? Wait for you?” I asked, coming across more angry that I meant too. I was just so disappointed.

“No. Do what you have to do. If it’s right for us to get together… Well, it’ll happen.”

“What if I date Jason?”

Now it was Drew’s turn to be angry. “I thought you said you were over him? Done? If that’s true, why would you want to date him?”

“I don’t. I don’t think. But Jesus Drew, I’m just terrified of messing up again. I want to make sure the rules are all laid out, so I know. So I don’t screw this up again. If you asked me to wait for you, I would. Don’t you know that? I would wait. I messed up, I made a mistake, and I’m so sorry for that. I really am. Do you want me to wait? Do you not want me to date anyone else? Is it OK if I see other people?”

“I can’t control you.” He said, his voice soft.

“I know. I wouldn’t let you, it’s not about control. It’s about knowing what I have to do in order to get what I want. And I want you.”

“I just think…” He sighed. “I think we should let it go. See what happens. So yeah, it’s fine if you date other people. It’s fine even if it’s Jason. I think if we’re supposed to be together, we’ll eventually be together.”

“I just wish it were now.”

“I know Ella. Part of me does too. But, part of me is also glad this happened. I just think things moved pretty quickly… Plus, maybe this was supposed to happen.”

“Maybe.” I said. I didn't think so.

13 comments:

AAAAH!! THIS IS SO PAINFUL!!
I swear I was as nervous reading this post as if it was happening to me.
I love that Toni and Nick are moving, so we'll be seeing more of them. As for Drew, I guess if he doesn't feel it's right at the present, forcing things won't make it better. In fact it would probably make it worse. He has to deal with his stuff so that he can give himself entirely to the relationship. And Ella will have to respect that, painful as it may be.

 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I agree, I was on the edge of my seat holding my breath as if I was involved in the whole thing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Drew and Ella together but I guess we have to see her go through a bit more to get to Drew. HOPEFULLY NOT JASON! I can see her and Matt hooking up, the chemistry is all set up on that one, and hopefully it just not working because she wants to be with Drew.

 

I love drew and I want ella and drew to be 2geda so bad... i wish ella will just stay out of the dating game for a while. she definitely should NOT go back to JASON!!! And Drew needs to get over himself before he loses wat he has with Ella. that would be really really painful to read...nice post!

 

I just hope that she doesn't date Jason. Not only because I don't like him but because I think she would lose Drew. I mean, if she dated Matt or some new guy I could see Drew getting over it. But I couldn't logically see Drew getting over her dating Jason after she made a big deal that she was over him. I would just imagine that he would think that was all a lie.

 

Drew has definately been knocked down a few pegs in my book. I think he's being dumb about all this. Yea it's hard to deal with your parents divorce and them dating at any age but what does that have to do with him and Ella. Jason is his concern, his parents are his excuse. I loved Drew but Ella no man is worth waiting for like that sorry.

 

I think Drew is right. It's hard to get that trust back and if you rush something that's when it all falls apart. Everything happens for a reason and it happens when it's suppose to. He just doesn't trust her right now and i don't blam him. She should have been more honest about sleeping with Jason before they got real serious. She has to gain his trust bak. Nothing ever happens hat quick or easy.

 

Man when Drew arrived I was so excited and then...ouch. I agree that Drew needs to work out whatever is going on in his life but if he waits too long it won't happen at all. I love Drew and Ella but I guess they have a long road ahead of them. And I really hope she doesn't date Jason. No matter what Drew says, it won't be good for when they do get their act together. And I worry about Matt and Ella. I like him but he's no Drew.

 

I really don't understand one thing about Drew's reaction STILL. ELLA DID NOT CHEAT ON HIM, ELLA DID NOT DO ANYTHING WITH JASON WHEN SHE WAS WITH DREW. I understand where Drew is concerned that she still has stuff with Jason and I understand his hurt that she did not tell him about the incident and I even understand him being upset with the way he found out but I do not understand his huge trust ordeal when all that she did wrong was not tell him WHEN THEY WERE FRIENDS that she slept with Jason. I can understand the feelings that will bring up but she didn't do anything to make him distrust her to the extent he has taken it.

 

One thing I'd like to say about the f/b, that I just read lol. I'd like to see Jacob come back into Ella's life. Some kind of explaination for his weird behavior. One more thing, great job wrapping up the F/Bs

 

I think Jacob's weird behaviour is already explained by his his issues with Michelle, Tharapy and Alchoal abuse....

 

i agree with anon 9:16. drew keeps rubbing me the wrong way. i dont think ella should wait around for him, the whole point of being a couple is going through hardships together and working issues out (like trust) together.
-Sheena
PS-getting two posts in one day was like christmas. :)

 

I think Drew and Ella needs to sort of rebuild there relationship it happened fast and it came crushing down so fast. Trust is important so is honesty. Ella needed to be HONEST with him about Jason. It didn't matter if it happened before him the fact is that she was crazy about Jason for along time she not telling him makes it seem that maybe there were still some feelings left over.

 

I agree with practically everyone... this was almost painful to read. Lump in my throat, butterflies in my stomach hard. Maybe I'm just a natural 'arguer,' but I think I would have put up more of a fight then Ella did. I'll probably sound like a complete loser, but sometimes I read these posts & picture what I would say if I were in her shoes (fictional shoes of course)... I just don't think she put up a good enough fight for Drew this time.