Whatever Wednesday: I hate the stupid bowl

I guess I'm your stereotypical football hating girl. I really don't like watching most sports, I think they're dumb. Live, it can be a little better. You're there, you're feeling the excitement... But I've just NEVER been able to get into watching the game on TV. Football I have a personal hate for. Back in the olden days, when the "big" game would fall on the last Sunday of the year, it sometimes fell on my birthday. Which meant no one would really pay attention to me, just the game. I hated it.

I spent Super Bowl Sunday grocery shopping, cleaning the house, and sitting at home with my husband and my father in law (my mother in law hates football too, and opted out of coming. So I guess football IS good for something...)

I do have lots of girl-friends who LOVE football. I even have a few guy friends who hate it. What about you ladies, what's the verdict? Do you love it, or hate it?

We got hit with some major snow Friday. It was funny, because they were talking about how it was going to hit. Friday morning, I wake up, and nothing. Just as I was about to put my facebook status as "Where's all this snow we're supposed to get?" I look outside and, well, there it was. I'm assuming some of you guys got hit as well, it was a pretty big storm. I got Cayden dressed to go outside for a minute (and someone already yelled at me because he wasn't wearing a hat and mittens. I know that's bad, but we really were outside for like 5 minutes, if that. And he doesn't keep a hat OR mittens on. He's pretty much like Houdini and can get them off.) Here's some pictures (with the new camera, by the way!):


Photobucket

You can see here he's standing next to a snowman I made that was almost his size. I really wanted to make it his size, but I wasn't wearing gloves either, and my hands were freezing!


Photobucket


Here he's standing in a snow bank. It was mid afternoon, had only been snowing for maybe two hours? Already up to his knees, and didn't really let up until the next day.



Here are some Super Bowl photos:

Photobucket

Excuse the mess, this was the house before I cleaned. We won that chair at Dave and Busters. Jeremy was more excited than Cayden I think!

Photobucket

I love this picture so much. It looks like he and Tater are conspiring.

Photobucket


Cayden says go Saints! (and looks as excited about the Stupid bowl as Mommy is.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love this face!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cayden stole Daddy's phone and Grandpa called him on it. He was talking up a storm and looking REALLY serious

Photobucket

The Erwin Boys!


I went down by the river to take some pictures with Cayden, thinking that even though it was cold, he'd enjoy time outside. WRONG. Not a happy camper. Turns out, snow is cold, and my son is not a fan of cold:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


And back at home:

Photobucket

Photobucket




What else? A few cosmetics about the blog: I know someone requested that I put the swagbucks widget back up. I attempted too, but it is too big for this layout, and it comes over and blocks the text. I can't figure out if there's a way to shrink it or not, so for now, it's just not going up, which is a bummer, because I really loved the widget. Sorry guys.

Secondly, I added a donation button to the side. Some of you guys around Christmas mentioned that I should do it, so I did. Don't feel like you have too, but if you want too, I'm certainly not going to stop you. Please though, don't let the word donation fool you - it's not going to any cause other than mine. I was going to add a "buy" button instead, but then I had to enter the amounts people had to choose, and this way, if people want to give me money for what I do, they can pick the amount based on what they can afford. I hope that doesn't make me sound greedy, or like I think I'm owed anything. I hate talking about money and gifts, I get uncomfortable like I come off forward or whatever. But yeah, that's the reason.

If you're broke like we are, and can't give money, but still want to help me out, feel free to sign up for swagbucks. I've talked about swagbucks before, but I know I have some new people who may have missed it. Swagbucks is a search engine, like google (and pretty good, it's powered by google and ask.com) Sometimes when you search, you'll randomly win bucks that you can use in their store (you can win one buck, up to I think 500, though the most I've ever gotten was a 3 buck) You can also earn bucks in different ways (they have a shop and earn section. They have links to a bunch of online stores, and if you shop through their link, you earn swagbucks for so much money you spend. They also have a "special" offers section, they have different offers from people like gamefly, netflicks, and if you sign up through them, you also get bucks.) They also have code hunts, they occasionally give you codes... And last but not least, you can earn codes through referrals (this is the fastest way to earn, I will admit) If you sign up using my code, for every swag buck you will, I'll win (up to 100 swag bucks) The prizes are really good. I've gotten a TON of amazon giftcards (at least 50 dollars worth, probably more) as well as 2 25 dollar gift cards to restaurants.com. They have various prizes, clothes to charity donations (a little while ago you could donate you bucks to Haiti and they'd donate real money.) So, if you'd like to sign up, please check it out and sign up under me. I use the Amazon cards to surprise my husband with gifts for his birthday/our anniversary (so I don't have to ask him for money!) Anyway, here's the sign up link: Search & Win


Another website you guys should check out, especially for those of you looking to lose weight like I am, is this one: http://www.pfpchallenge.com/ It's the pound for pound challenge, for every pound you pledge to lose, the Biggest Loser will donate a pound of food to your local food bank. I pledged 50 lbs. It seems like a lot, but guess what? I'm down 20 lbs already from the month of January and this first week of Feb. So If I lose 10 lbs a month, I should hit it. Even if you only need to lose 5 lbs, pledge the weight. It'll still give 5 lbs of food to a family who doesn't have anything!

Last but not least, I think I mentioned we're looking to get a new car with our tax money. Can I just say, I hate car shopping? It's not even because of the salesmen. All the ones we've talked to have been really nice, and not the least bit pushy.

It's just really frustrating. For one, everyone says they can get us financed. And then they can't. And it's a LOT of work, going out to these places, usually lugging Cayden with us, test driving something, really liking it, only to find out we can't get financed. I've told my husband I just want to check our credit before we go out, and if we can get financed, we'll go look at it. But the dealer's always say "Oh we can finance you! We can finance anyway! Just come in." Now I get it, they want us in there so they can wheel and deal and if they can't get us the car we want, maybe they can get us something else. But it's such a hassle.

Not to mention, I hate filling out credit apps and having to put down homemaker, or unemployed or whatever little option they have for stay at home Mom. It feels almost degrading. I don't know. Like Toni, I kind of struggle with being a Mom sometimes. I love my son more than anything, and it's not really mothering that I have an issue with, but how people view mothering. They just don't get how hard it is. And I mean, sure, it does have it's perks. I get to stay at home on days where it's crappy outside. Or, on days where it's nice, I can take my son outside and enjoy the day. I can watch TV, but on whatever websites I want. I get to see my son grow and change. But there are many downsides. Like the fact that nobody seems to recognize it as an actual job. I can't call in sick. I'm on call 24-7. Because I'm home all the time, even when my husband's home, my son usually wants me.

The thing about it is, raising a child isn't that hard. Housework also isn't that hard. It has it's moments, but I would put it on par with other jobs. But doing the two together? Trying to fold the laundry while your child is trying to play in the laundry basket? Trying to pick up toys while your child just pulls them back out again? Trying to cook dinner while making sure your kid isn't pulling the eggs out and smashing them on the rug? Each job I do takes twice as long.

And then it makes me even more frustrated when my husband does little things... Like we keep our dog and cat food in these locking bins. But he either never remembers to put the tops back on, or he doesn't lock them. And then my son goes in, and gets into them, either throwing dog food everywhere, or eating it. Or my personal favorite, half eating it, and then throwing gooey gobs of dog food up (which stains!) And he acts like he's such a big deal when he has to do two jobs at once (like cook lunch and watch Cayden.) That's what I do all day! And he definately didn't realize why I was so upset Monday... He and I meet at the gym when he gets off work. But he ALWAYS forgets his gym stuff, so that means I not only have to get my stuff together, and get Cayden and I ready to go, but also his stuff. And it means that I have to lug a gym bag in while carrying Cayden. Well, on top of all that, last night he didn't show up! He got stuck at work, which just threw our whole plans off. True, it wasn't his fault, but he didn't understand why I was so frustrated. Not only did I lug his crap in, but I had to lug it back out. And while my son loves his daycare, he's such a Mama's boy that he cries when I drop him off and when I pick him up (I watched him from the window, the second I leave? He's fine and happy and plays. He's just a little attached.) So not only had I totally busted my ass working out, but then I had to take my stuff, my husband's stuff, and my screaming baby back out to the car. And on top of that, my husband wanted me to go pick up my sister by myself, with Cayden. Keeping a screaming baby in the car longer, and taking him by myself to Wal-mart as well.

I mean people just don't think. And I'm sure it doesn't sound like a lot, but add on the fact that by this time in the day, I am VERY tired. It's like when I was pregnant, I LOVED carrying Cayden. I loved feeling him move, and knowing that I got to know him before anyone else. But I wished for ONE day when my husband could carry him, so he could see how tired I was, how it felt to be so swollen, the round ligament pain, the general uncomfortable-ness.

I want ONE day where non-stay at home momes have to stay home.

I honestly think the only people in the world who have it worse off (job wise) is the working primary caregiver.

The thing that sucks most about car loans and being a stay at home Mom? I could probably get a car loan on my own. My husband's credit is horrible, but I have no credit. And while that's often worse... There are a few places that have a first time car buyer's program. Only since I have no income of my own, I can't be on a loan on my own.

So. THat's my rant. It went on way longer than I wanted it too, but I feel better now :-)

12 comments:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE foot ball :-) But I went to Ohio State (LOVE Cayden's jacket BTW!) and it was sort of a family tradition to go there (Grandparents both went) so I grew up with a Grandfather who had season tickets and took me to a game every year on my Birthday (October girl) so football for me was associated with a day that was just for me & my Grandpa :-)
I'm in DC now and we got hit Sat with the snow you got Friday and are getting hit again right now. SO tired of it, but at least I get to work from home today (working really hard right now, LOL!)
I had BAD credit a few years ago and needed to buy a car so I went to a local place called Eastern's who checked my credit 1st found a place that would finance me and the maximum limit so that i knew what amount I could shop for. I payed an awful interest rate, but I got a car close to what I wanted and made every payment on time or early and it helped my credit a ton. Maybe there is somewhere like that near you in Ohio?? Keep in mind that every differnt place you fill out a credit app they check you credit separately from the last time and every time your credit is checked it actually brings your score down so by going to place after place you can actually be hurting yourself more. The place I went to pulled it once and sent it to several different finance places.
Sorry so long! Hope that helps! :-)

 

Love the buckeye jacket! My whole family is in Columbus...die hard bucks! :D Very cute pictures...he has ver expressive facial expressions, I love it!

I live in the D.C. area as well and I have a MAJOR case of cabin fever. My kids are great, they really are, but they have been out of school since last Friday and will be out til next Tuesday so I totally get the overwhelmed feeling.

I am probably mentioning something you already know, but you can go to www.annualcreditreport.com and check your credit once a year for free. You are able to print it out...this is good for two reasons 1) you can see what you need to work on, what the trouble areas might be 2) maybe since you can print it out you can show it to the car salesmen/women and say 'look this is the deal, what can you do if anything?'. I had bad credit after my divorce years ago and I was still able to get a car, but I had to pay an insane interest rate until my credit got better. Is that an option for you guys? Maybe get a car that costs a little less to offset a high interest rate? I dunno, I guess I'm just thinking out loud. Hang in there...

 

I do love the Buckeyes. The only football team I like, and probably the only game I will actually watch. Living in Columbus, you can't not love the Buckeyes ;-)

Here's the reason we're getting stuck: My husband has an open car loan, with his ex wife. They got it while they were together, and when they got divorced, he tried to get off the loan, but the loan place said that he couldn't. So he's stuck with it. A lot of places told us that they could finance us if we trade in the vehicle, but we don't have it. His ex does. I mean it's current, she's making payments on it, but most places only want you to have one open car loan.

So he can't get a loan. And again, I can't get one because I have no income.

I mean, I don't think we're looking at expensive cars. Our max is 10,000, but most everything I've found as been under that (usually in the 7,000 dollar range) and we have around 3,000 to put down. I've even found some cars that I like that are 5,000-6,000. It's SO frustrating to be SO close and not quite have it.

 

Wow, you have lost 20 pounds!!! That is great! What are you doing to lose the weight? I'm trying to lose 20 pounds but I seems like I haven't even lost two!

 

Anon- I'm watching what I eat and exercising, lol. Pretty low key. I use Sparkpeople.com, which is a free weight loss site. It's a little confusing at first, but if you play with it and figure it out, it's worth it.

They calculated how many calories I should intake a day in order to lose weight, and how often I need to exercise. They have a nutrition tracker, so I can input what I eat and track my calories that way. It's all pretty simple, and I'm really surprised at the end of the day how many calories I have left over (which isn't good. A lot of people who try to lose weight cut back their calories TOO dramatically. Which ultimately just sets you up for failure, because a.) it's too hard to maintain that sort of lifestyle, and b.) your body will eventually go into starvation mode and won't lose weight.) I eat whatever I want, I just watch how much I'm eating.

 

My husband always says we are backwards. I LOVE college basketball (I am a HUGE Michigan Wolverines fan even though I live in Kansas). When the game is on he has to leave me alone, and I go crazy! He, on the other hand, hates sports! I do not like Pro sports. Hate baseball and soccer. Love College Basketball and football is only worth it if you are there in person.

 

Thanks to magic of cable, I was able to watch the game on Sunday. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I love watching GOOD sports, so with my dad and boyfriend we made huge sandwiches, bought a lot of beer and rooted for the Saints! Same thing happens that despite hating regular soccer matches (our national sport), I LOVE watching the World Cup games.

Ok, Cayden is too cute! He looks adorable in the snow! Can you guys send some this way? We're having a 95ยบ heat wave and the air conditioner is busted at the office!!

 

I know around here (Austin, Texas) we have a lot of places that advertise that they DON'T check your credit and all you need is a job to get a car. I'm sure the interest rates are atrocious, but if you get a cheap(er) car and put that $3k down, you should be able to pay it off pretty quickly.

I'm not really a huge fan of sports, though I took my husband to a hockey game for his birthday in December and LOVED IT! It was awesome! Too bad hockey sucks to watch on TV.

And I would seriously kill to lose 20 lbs. I'm down like 6 or 7 since January 1st but I'm really having a hard time losing it. I'm doing Weight Watchers and it's slow going. I know it would go faster if I worked out, but I just don't have the time and I can't afford a gym membership.. workout videos are only fun for so long, ya know? At this rate, it's going to be almost an entire year before I get down to my goal weight of around 130. I've always been a little chunky and was usually around 150, but the year I moved out while planning my wedding I gained 15 lbs. Then at 165 I got pregnant and gained 40 lbs. I lost 20 right away but didn't have the time or energy to really work out and breastfeeding didn't work for me, so I kind of plateaued at 185. Then I actually gained another 7 lbs and hit a peak of 192 in August. I'm down to 179 now, but I've still got a LONG way to go.

 

Wow, good job you guys who are loosing the weight!

I havn't really been gaining or loosing weight in the past few years but I have went from having a preky bum and flatish (not prefect or anything but good enough for me) abs to just being soft everywhere and my flab tries to escape outa my clothing (muffin tops etc.) I would love to get back into the gym but havn't quite been able to push myself yet. There's always some kinda excuse, please keep talking about how u guys are kicking ass and eventually I'll get in check.
Kat

 

Jilly- I LOVE hockey too. My husband took me to my first game, I actually took a book thinking I would be bored, but it was AWESOME. But, you're totally right, it's such a snooze to watch on TV.

I've heard a lot of good things about Watch Watchers, and I got a free subscription to their mag, but just reading some of the stories... It does seem like a slow process to me.

We did splurge, and get a gym membership. I know a lot of people can't afford it, and that sucks, because really I don't think I'd be doing so well if I didn't have it. Though you could check craigslist and see if maybe you could purchase some kind of equipment, like a treadmill or a bike... But even if you can't afford it, or don't have room for it... There was this woman on Sparkpeople who lost a LOT of weight just by walking. I mean I think the key to it is, even when you can't do your best, do better than you were.

I write another blog that is my rants about losing weight. It doesn't always make sense, but anyone who needs some butt kicking or needs to vent or whatever, head on over!

 

I LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE FOOOTBAALL!! So much that when the Saints ran in for touchdown with 11 mins to go in the 3rd qtr, my husband and I were jumping up and down. Well.. needless to say, we both fell and he landed on top of me. I ended up spraining my ankle & my right knee - possible tearing the ACL. Stupid yes, but it sure was fun.

As for Sparkpeople, I use them as well and I love all the resources. Laura... How do you keep from losing the drive after 2 wks. That's my problem. I'm all gung ho about logging in, tracking food, reading the articles, and then after 2 weeks, I just lose it. Any ideas would be really great. Maybe we could be spark friends :) If so, look me up - koalalover78 (in Oregon)- Christine

 

Christine- I tried to find you, but I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to search for people! If you or anyone else on here would like to add me on Sparkpeople, my name is Lerwin1324, you should see pictures of Cayden on my page, so it's pretty obvious.

As for losing motivation... I do lose motivation. I've only been at this for a little over a month and I have lost motivation a couple of times. I think the key is, as I've said before, is to just make sure you're constantly doing better than what you were doing, and to not beat yourself up when you get off track. So if you lose your motivation for a week or a weekend, well, give yourself the break. But just get back on the wagon, so to speak.