Cuz nothing's going right, and everything's a mess

The next morning I woke up with my head pounding, and laser beams of light shooting through my window.

“Oh go figure.” I mumbled to myself as I crawled toward the window and pulled shade down. “The one random day of sunshine in Ohio during the winter just HAS to be today.” I fell back into bed, harder than I meant too, and sent tremors of pain soaring from my head down my body.

“Fuck. What did I do last night?” I said outloud, and for a few blissful moments, I really couldn’t remember.

Then it came back to me, like crime scene snapshots, a few prized moments flashed in my head: Seth leaving, me finding Drew with Christi, drinking, dancing, Jason being nice to me. Kissing Matt.

“Oh no.” I groaned, pulling the blanket up over my head. “Why did I do that?” I whined to myself.

“Are you talking to yourself?” I heard someone ask.

Oh no. Oh no, oh no, oh no. Please don’t tell me I slept with him. Please. Why do I do this? Why do I always have to find a way to make a fucked up situation even more fucked up?

I peeked out of the blankets, and sure enough, Matt was standing in the doorway.

“Did we….Did you…” I said, unsure of how to finish it. “Did you sleep in here last night?”

“No.” He said, chuckling as he sat on the edge of the bed. “You feeling OK?”

“I don’t know. Not really. Look, about last night…”

“Ella, we were both drunk. You were upset. I was lonely, it was bound to happen. It’s OK. Nobody else needs to know about it, it was just a random thing. A mistake.”

My heart got a little bruised when he said a mistake.

“Oh… OK.” I paused for a moment. “Do you think I should tell Seth?”

“No. I think that’s just going to make everything worse. Besides, you two aren’t exclusive yet, are you?”

“No.” I said, thinking back on the conversation we had last night. “I told him I thought we were headed in that direction, but we weren’t there yet.”

“Well, then you didn’t do anything wrong. I mean normally I’m all for honesty, but I think in your case right now… I dunno, Seth has enough of your guy friends to worry about and be wary of.” He shrugged. “It was just a random thing. Why worry him? We’ll just make sure neither one of us are drunk together again.” He said with a smile.

“Yeah. Well. I’m not drinking again for a long long time.” I said, feeling my head beat back at the mere thought of alcohol.

“OK. Well. I’m going to get ready to head over to the other house.”

“Yeah… I better attempt to do that too.” I grumbled. I think it went without saying that I REALLY didn’t want to go. My poor stomach was under assault, and the mere thought of seeing Drew made it do flips.

“Alright, well. See you there.” He said, getting off the bed and heading towards the door.

“Hey Matt?”

“Yeah?” He said, turning around.

“Happy birthday.” I said, smiling at him.

“Thanks.” He said, smiling and leaving the room.

I groped for my cell phone, planning to check the time and also to call a bakery and order a cake for Matt’s birthday. I saw that I had two missed calls from Seth. I dialed his number, hoping to sound normal when I talked to him. I didn’t want him to think I was some huge party girl.

“Hey, was wondering when I was going to hear from you.” Seth said, sounding amused.

“Yeah, hey…” I said, only it came out more like a croak.

“Ooh, rough night?”

“I guess. I don’t really remember most of it.” I replied, which, was true, after all. “How are you doing? Is everything OK?”

“Well…” He said his tone going from amused to serious and a little sad. “It’s been a rough night for me too.”

“What happened? Do you need something?”

“No… It’s OK…. Well, no. That’s a lie, it’s not OK.” He sighed and I heard the fatigue creep into his voice. “It’s a story that I don’t want to get into right now, but. I’m not going to be able to make it to the house today. The other guys said they’d still go… And if you’re free tonight, if it’s OK, I’d like to come over and talk.”

“OK. Are you sure you don’t need anything?”

“No, but thanks for asking. I have to go now. I’ll text you later and let you know what time?”

“OK. Bye.”

I laid in bed for a moment, wondering what he could have to talk about. It didn’t sound like a good thing, but I also didn’t think it was a ‘I don’t want to see you anymore’ talk. This whole weekend was going to hell in a hand basket, and I wished for a magic remote to fast forward past all this crap.

I dragged myself out of bed and into the shower. Stepping out, I pulled my hair into a wet bun, pulled on a tee shirt and hoodie and reached for a pair of sweat pants. The first pair I grabbed were a pair of Drews. I used to wear them all the time when I was sad, rolling the waist up and tying them tight. They were, of course, way too big for me, but they were comfortable. Kind of like being in his arms.

The pain I felt thinking that hurt worse than the pounding in my head, and I think my brain’s way of coping was turning that pain into anger. I got pissed. I crashed through my room, still only half dressed, pulling through all my clothes. I found every tee shirt, sweatshirt, pants, shorts that didn’t belong to me but to one of the guys. I piled them in different bags. Jason had been right last night, I needed a fresh start, I needed to start over, and I couldn’t do it with all these reminders hanging around.

Then I got re-dressed. As crappy as I felt, well. Nobody else had to know that. I pulled my hair down, dried it and styled it. I pulled on a tight tee shirt that gave the appearance of me trying to be casual, but I knew that I looked sexy in it. It had a cut to shove cleavage, and it hugged my curves while hiding my rolls. I then picked my tightest pair of jeans and considered wearing heels, but nixed the idea. I stuck with my chucks. I put on my makeup, and piled the bags of the guys stuff in my car.

“Eat your heart out, Drew. I’m done with you.” I said, peeling out of my driveway and down the street.

I strode into the house with a confidence I was partially faking. I was good at doing that, when I had too, faking a sense of confidence, and even faking a sense of authority. It’s why I did so well with kids. Part of me just wanted to slink into the back room I had been working in, but instead, I went looking for Drew.

He, of course, was in a room with Christi, painting and laughing together.

“Hey Drewbie?” I said, standing at the doorway. My voice was light. “Can I borrow you for a second? I have some stuff out in the car for you.”

“Sure thing.” He said, looking at me with a guarded expression. “I’ll be right back.” He said to Christi as he followed me out and down to my car.

“What’s all this?” He asked with a puzzled expression as I handed him the bags.

“It’s all your stuff. Mainly clothes, but there’s a few other things in there.”

“Ella, why are you doing this?” He asked, looking exasperated. “Are you trying to make some sort of point?”

“No, Drew. YOU made the point, you made it last night loud and clear. I heard it, I got you, ten four, roger that good buddy!” I said. I tried to keep my voice light and joking, but I knew my anger was leaking through and staining my words.

“Again, Ella. Juvenile. You keep throwing temper tantrums like this when you don’t get your way, and nobody is going to want to be around you.” He said, turning to walk inside.

“Whatever Drew!” I called back. I wanted to say more, to slam him with an insult of my own, but I didn’t know to say.

So instead I called the baker, and ordered Matt a birthday cake, and then I slunk back in the house, my tail between my legs, my confidence balloon popped. I went back to my room, and started working. I wanted to call Toni, to talk to her, vent, to get advice, but I knew she needed to rest, and not to be bothered with my petty problems. This time, I really was on my own, but I desperately wanted to talk to someone.

Then I felt someone enter the room, and I turned to see who it was.

“Hey. Can we talk for a second?”

And it of course, was the last person I wanted to talk too.

22 comments:

I'm going to go with Jason or Jarren.

 

Looks like Ella's plan back fired a bit. I do agree with Drew that Ella is being childish. She needs to remember that he has never been with anyone else before but her. Just like he wants her to date to be sure he is the one for Ella; Drew needs to date to be sure Ella is the one for him.

I bet it is Christi that wants to talk to her!

 

Again, probably not the popular vote, but I ditto Drew's comment. mum

 

I agree with Drew too. Ella is acting childish. She should talk to him to see why things changed instead of just getting angry and throwing a fit.

 

Nah, I don't blame Ella for wanting to "clean out her closets". I just wish she had a better come back than "whatever" for Drew.

And I'm thinking (hoping?) it's Christi.

 

I am betting it is Christi. I think Ella is being Childish, But i know how hard it is to watch the person you want to spend the rest of your life with get to know another girl, and to see them kissing. I am wondering what is wrong with Seth's sister. I hope whatever it is she makes it through it!

 

I agree that its going to be Christi...probably checking on Ella's dedication to Seth...as well as where she stands with Drew.

I think Ella had the right idea, wanting to rid herself of the boys' things...but she should have put them up and away (out of sight out of mind) instead of giving them back.

I loved Drew, but I don't understand him anymore...

-C

 

I have to agree with Drew here, Ella is being a bit childish. Drew wants Ella to date to make sure that it is truely Drew that she wants to be with, and since Drew has waited forever to be with Ella I think he needs to do the same. Really they need to TALK. Not try to talk at a noisy club, or her giving his clothes back, but really sit and talk.

And yeah I could see it being Christi who wants to talk to her.

 

I think Drew is right about her acting childish but at the same time she should have gotten rid of his things if it caused her pain.
I do think that she shouldn't have started to see Seth because I felt mayb this is a rebound relationship and those are never a good idea.

Drew is sort of putting her in another Jason, Kayla, and Ella type siuaution. I know it's not a triangle but a square this time and Ella did sort of put him in the Drew, Jason, and Ella type situation where he is wating for her. But the truth of it is it isn't fair to neither one to be waiting for anyone to make up their minds. I believe deep down you know if that person is going to be the one. I see her heart was leaning towards him but it is like a race. I felt Drew was in the lead know he has taken a few places back in Ella's heart.

If they really want to be together than they need to fight for each oter. Ella hasn't really fought for Drew. Also, the other way around. Ella knows who she truly wants. Like I said before she really need some girlfriends. Seth seems to be a great guy but I don't think she should haverall started to see him with out getting her issues fixed with these other guys. It's not even a square it's a pentagon. She needs to close the door on three and chose one. I don't think she should choose right his minute with the drama that seems to be coming up with Seth. He may actually need her and she needs to be there. But eventually she does need to chose who se is going to focus on or move on with.

 

I really don't think Ella was being childish here. I think it was just time for her to let go. Doesn't mean that her and Drew or her and Jason will never be again just that it is time to let go and move on. And returning the clothes is just her way of letting go. I can see how Drew thought she was being childish but still. Matt handled the situation well. We all know he is secretly in love with Ella and was hoping that Ella would declare feelings for him as well. But he also knew it was wrong to do what he did when they were both drunk. So I think he was great in saying to just forget about it, and we know it's all he's thinking about lol. As for Seth I am anxious to find out what is going on with Chloe I hope she'll be alright.

 

I see both points of Ella being childish and her not being childish. But I also do think Drew is sending mixed signals also. Ever since losing his V Card (yes I know, saying it that way sounds like high school, but dont want to say it another way) he wants to get out and explore what is out there. He is sending Ella signals that he wants her to date, but he doesnt want her to date...he wants to be with her but he doesnt want to be with her....I think he needs to also be single for a while before truely figuring out what he wants. I know he has been single for years waiting around for her, but his comment of he doesnt want to wait anymore for her to see how perfect they are together, she has already seen that and he rejected her...a couple times. So with this, I can see both points of view...hmmmm....this situation is going to turn out the way it is supposed to, but I can't really be sure what way it is going to, a lot more drama before its over or maybe just a little bit more.

 

I think Ella was being a bit childish, but she's hurt. People don't usually act rational when they are hurting. And, you know... Drew saw Ella kiss Jason on the cheek after he gave her that necklace just like all the other guys did. I'm sure it hurt him, too. So, I bet Drew thought he'd try to do his own thing like he told Ella to do. But, really, I think this whole situation is out of control. If they want each other, then need to fight for each other. They need to be together and try it out, no matter what place either of them is in. If you don't try, you don't know... if it works, it works - if it doesn't, it doesn't. At least you fought and tried. Bottom line. And, if neither of them step up to the plate, then call it over with and move on and try to continue to be friends.

I bet it's Christi who walked in...

 

I think everyone is hurting, and when people are hurting and can't do anything about it they tend to act like this.

Drew has the hurt and pain from his family situation, which was why he wanted to work through that before he could get back together with Ella. But now he has Seth in his life daily, he saw Jason's gift to Ella, he probably saw Seth and Ella on the dance floor. So yeah he is hurting as well. So he probably figures that if Ella can date then so will he.

Ella is hurting because she sees Drew dating Christi as he lied to her. She doesn't see that dating Seth one hot minute after Drew asked for some time might have hurt him. She isn't seeing that he is doing what she herself is doing.

Really they need to talk. Not drunken confrontations at a club or temper tantrums in the driveway. But sit down and hash it out. BNeither one will admit they're hurting and they both belong together.

 

i vote for jason walking in + brewing the storm a bit more before ella's showdown with christi!

like the new layout, but i like the old one (with the fall foliage) better.

 

Hi,
First off i dont think ella is being childish infact i agree it is time to let go of their stuff.but i wish she had said something along the lines of such to drew. like...."im trying to do as you said and give us time and i cant do that with this stuff around. im sorry if thats the way you view it but it doesnt matter, take your stuff or chuck it i dont care i just want it gone." Calmly stating this and then walking away for him to deal with it..of course i can say that... id not think of it when i was in the situation. i hope she lets all the boys go and sticks with the dancer boy...lol or is single and figures out what she realy wants. i mean really really wants..it takes time to do that and she has not given herself that time....Awesome story L :P

 

Laura,

I really enjoyed this post. You write really well and I'm going to enjoy reading this blog!

Violet (Blogfusion)

 

This was actually my favorite post in a while. I'm not sure why, but the writing was practically perfect and it kind of pushed the storyline along or something. hahah. Maybe it was the combination of Ella's heart hurting when Matt said kissing her was a mistake, Ella starting to "move on" by giving the guys their stuff back, Drew being kind of a tool (so I have reason to dislike him)... who knows. I just liked it a lot.
I'm pretty sure it's Jason or Christi at the end. I think those are the only two people she'd have a problem with talking to. Maybe Ian?
btw--This new layout is cute, but I liked the last one better.
Keep up the excellent work! (:

 

I really enjoyed this post. I have NO clue who walked in, but I can't wait until tomorrow to read it. I used to write a blog called Diary of Madyson Blayne and lemme tell ya, this writer keeps you twisting and turning in a good way constantly. Kudos to you for keeping us so entertained. Sometimes it is difficult.

Anyhoo....Good job is all I had to say!

MzzMechell

 

I honestly liked the old layout better as well. But, it did this thing where if I made the titles too long it would overlap, and that REALLY bugged me.

I feel like things are moving along too. I'm excited though to get back into real time though!

 

great post. can i suggest making your comments a pop-up window?

 

Just did that Callah :-)

 

awesome! makes blog reading & commenting much easier :)