I just take it day by day

I worked for a few hours when I heard someone come up behind me.

“Ella?” Jason questioned, clearing his throat.

“Oh. Hey.” I said, stopping and turning around. “You all need something?”

“Yeah… Nick asked me to ask you if you’d go pick up some lunch for us.”

“Sure thing. Did you take orders? What do you guys want?” I said, setting down the piece I was hand sewing.

“Not yet. The guys are still deciding…” He said, stepping in. “Can we, uh, talk?” He asked, looking a little nervous.

“Sure…” I said, tentatively. His nerves were rubbing off on me, and being around Jason… Well. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. He closed the door behind him.

“I uh… I know we’re not together, and I know we probably won’t be together. But it’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow and… Well… Nick was thinking about getting something similar for Toni and I just thought it fit. I didn’t want to give it to you in front of your…” He paused, and looked like he had a bad taste in his mouth. “In front of Seth.” He said all of this quickly, stuttering and faltering over his words. When he finished, he thrust a small package at me.

“Oh Jay, you didn’t have too.” I said, nervously taking it. “I don’t know if I should accept this.”

“I know, but like I said, I just thought… And you should take it. I mean, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t an attempt to win you back. But… I also owe you. It’s really the least I could do.” He finished by shrugging. He looked away, and then back at me. “Besides,” he started with a wry smile, “it’s custom. I can’t return it. Go ahead, open it.”

“Oh. Yeah…” I answered. I really didn’t want too. I hated opening gifts in front of people, I always felt awkward and worried about making of a show of liking the present.

I could see Jason looking at me from the corner of his eye. I wasn’t used to him being so nervous. The Jason I knew was usually very confident, and his nervousness unnerved me. It also showed me a whole new side to Jason, and it made me wonder if he had changed. If we had a chance now. If I should even be thinking like that.

“Sorry about the wrapping…” He said as I peeled off the plain brown wrapping.

Inside was a rectangular jewelry box. I was hesitant.

“Jason, this looks expensive…”

He shrugged again. “Just open it, Ella.”

I opened the box and inside laid a little angel pendant necklace. On each of the wings a small stone was set.

Jason took the box from me and pulled out the necklace. It looked so delicate in his large hand.

“Nick showed me these custom made birthstone necklaces… He asked me if he should get one for Toni, for Valentines day. I just saw this one… It’s for our baby… This birthstone is for the month it was due… This one for the month…” He trailed off. “Is it OK?” He asked, looking worried.

I was so touched, and worried that I was going to cry… All I could do was nod. It was perfect, and I had no idea what to say. It was hard because I thought I had Jason pegged as this son-of-a-bitch who was selfish and who cared only for himself. And now… Well now everything was changing, and again, I was left wondering where we stood. Would things with Jason ever stop being complicated? Should I just go ahead and give in? Or go ahead and give up?

“Turn around and I’ll put it on you.” He said.

I turned and lifted up my hair. His fingers brushed the nape of my neck and I felt the goosebumps rise on my arms. As soon as it was fastened, I turned around to face him. Standing up on my tip toes, I kissed him on the cheek.

“Thanks Jason. It’s perfect.”

That’s when the door flew open. All the guys stood there, and you could tell by the look on their faces that they wouldn’t believe me if I had told them that nothing was going on. To be honest though, I’m not really sure if nothing was going on.

“Why are you messing with my brothers girl?” Ian shouted, pushing his way into the room and standing toe to toe with Jason.

“I’m just talking to her. What’s your problem, man?” Jason countered back.

“What’s my problem? You are. You’ve been eyeing her since she walked in the door, and she’s off limits.” He said, pushing his finger into Jason’s chest.

I was worried. Seth had said Ian had an anger problem, and Jason could have one of his own. He wasn’t one to pick fights, but he definitely didn’t back down when one was picked with him.

“Ian, it’s cool.” Seth said, pushing his way through and reaching for his brothers arm.

“No, man.” Ian said, shrugging his brother off. “This girl’s got all these guys bent. Either she’s giving something up, or they’re all wanting your girl. Either way it isn’t cool, and I can’t believe you’re just letting it go.”

I didn’t know what to do. First, Ian’s comment about me having all the guys ‘bent’ hurt my feelings and pissed me off a little. Secondly… Well, this was already such an awkward weekend, and it had been a stressful week. I didn’t need this.

“I’m going. To get lunch. If you guys need something else, call my cell phone.” I said, brushing past the guys. I heard a chorus of “Ella waits” but I didn’t stop. I could feel the tears pricking my eyes and I didn’t want anyone to see me cry. It was just all the stress, combined with the bitter sweetness of Jason’s gift… I couldn’t handle it, I had to get away. I had almost made it to the car when I felt someone gently grab the back of my arm.

“Wait… Ella. Just a second.” Seth said.

“I have to go, I’ll be back soon.” I said, trying to brush him off.

“I just want to apologize, OK?” He asked, spinning me around gently to face him. I averted my eyes. “Really. What Ian did, that was out of line. That’s what I meant by him being difficult, and I shouldn’t have brought him but I just didn’t think, and he’s good with working on houses… I just wanted to help. I’m sorry.”

I sighed deeply, and eyed the boys on the porch who were watching us. Ian stood away from the rest of them, his arms crossed. He looked like he was waiting to fight.

“It’s not your fault.” I mumbled. “I just knew this wasn’t going to end well…”

“I’m going to take him home, OK? Then if you guys want me to come back and help, I’m all for that. I can even see if I can round up my friends who are a little less… Um… Well, not so big of assholes. But only if you want me too. I’ll understand if you don’t, though.” He looked shy, and embarrassed.

“It’s OK Seth. If you want to come back, you’re welcome too. And Ian’s welcome to stay if he wants.”

“No… I better take him home. Now he’s in one of his moods and it’s just… Better for everyone.”

“Fine.”

“I’ll be back, though. OK?” Again, he looked a little nervous, but I was so tired of reassuring everyone. I just nodded, and turned towards the car.

I was backing out of the driveway when I saw Matt jogging towards the car. I stopped and rolled down the window, but he didn’t stop to talk, just walked to the other side of the car and hopped in. I didn’t say anything to him, just continued on our way.

“Shouldn’t you be back there and helping?” I asked, turning the corner.

“I think after that mess we earned a break. Plus, you didn’t have anyone’s lunch orders. I do.” He said, waving a piece of paper at me. “What was his deal? I thought there was going to be a throw down!” Matt commented.

“You know how boys are. They’re all trying to stake their claim or something stupid like that. He was just trying to protect his brother.”

“Well he crossed a line.” Matt said.

“I know that. Seth knows it too. I just don’t really want to talk about it, OK? I just want this weekend to be over already.” I snapped.


We were quiet in the car for a second.

“You know, my birthdays on Valentines Day.” Matt said, breaking the silence.

“Really?” I said, feeling a little bad. Here I was, taking out my frustration on Matt when he was the one helping me out, on his birthday weekend.

“Yeah…” He said, biting a fingernail. “I was wondering… Do you think maybe you could throw something together tonight? You know, invite Jarren and maybe we could all go out to celebrate? I feel so stupid for asking but…”

“No. No, I wish you would have said something earlier so I could have put a party together or something. It sucks that you’re stuck here helping out on your birthday.”

“I want to help out. Like I said, you helped me a lot. Toni’s my friend now too. Plus, getting her house ready means getting her out of your house. I like having them around, but I keep stepping on the kids toys at night, and those hurt!” He joked.

7 comments:

YaY, an unexpected post! I did not see that one coming. Maybe Jason has changed. I can't wait to hear what else happens that day.

Hope you're feeling better!!

 

Laura, sweetie, what are you doing!? You didn't have to post this for us. You should be recuperating.

....But thank you sooooo much!! :-)

 

ahh! I can never decide who to root for! I like many of the guys!

 

at the end of the post, when you say "“I’m going. To get lunch. If you guys need something else, call my cell phone.” I said, brushing past the guys. I heard a chorus of “Ella waits” but I didn’t stop. I could feel the tears pricking my eyes and I didn’t want anyone to see me cry. It was just all the stress, combined with the bitter sweetness of Drew’s gift…"

shouldnt it be JASON'S gift??

 

Ah dangit. I had a feeling I was going to do that, I tried to go back and re-read it to make sure I didn't, but I guess I slipped up. I'll go ahead and fix that.

 

I just don't know about Jason. I pretty much have him placed in a jackass category but then he sometimes shows he isn't such a bad guy after all. I still think Drew is perfect for her though.