They say bad things happen for a reason

After I got off the phone with Seth, I went to the kitchen to dig around for something to make for dinner. He didn’t ask me too, but I knew when I was stressed and dealing with emergencies, meals were the first thing to go. I just didn’t think about them. So I wanted him to have a good meal waiting for him.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have much. I had been so busy dealing with the Toni situation that I had also neglected to go to the grocery store. I pulled out a frozen Stouffers lasagna Toni had bought, and also some breadsticks. I knew she wouldn’t care if I ate her food, and I’d try to get to the store tomorrow to replace it.

I was just placing the lasagna in the oven when I heard a knock on the door.
“C’mon in!” I called.

I heard Seth open the door and walk through the house. He looked good, a leather bomber jacket, a tee poking out under it, and jeans. But he also looked…. Worn, and tired.

“Hey.” He said, giving me a weak smile.

“Hey yourself. You don’t look so good. Why don’t you sit down? I’m making some dinner…”

“Oh. Thanks.” He said, still standing. “Can you leave it? I mean, can we go talk in the living room?”

“Sure. It’s got a little bit.” I said, following him out. He collapsed on the sofa, and I sat next to him.

“So, you’re probably wondering what’s going on, huh?” He asked, inspecting his nails.

“Yeah. I’m a little curious.”

“I didn’t want to tell you. I mean not yet anyway. For one, Chloe asked me not too… And, I know you’re going through some of your own stuff right now. But, I had an issue with girlfriends in the past… I’d disappear on a family emergency and they’d think I was cheating. I mean I can’t blame them, it can happen quite a bit, and I never really offered an explanation…”

“Chloe’s sick, isn’t she?” I asked softly.

He nodded.

“It’s cancer. It’s always cancer, isn’t it? I mean it’s a horrible story really. Chloe had messed around in high school, gotten herself in some trouble from time to time. It was hard for her, she was a pretty girl dealing with jealous mean girls. She acted out.” He shrugged. “But she was finally getting herself together. Applying for colleges and stuff. But she kept getting sick. She could never really say what was wrong, I just remember her saying a lot ‘I just don’t feel good.’ Finally my Mom made her go to the doctor…” He trailed off. “I don’t really want to talk about the details. When she got diagnosed we all quickly became experts at something we wish we knew nothing about. I mean they throw all these things at you at once, use textbook words, and it’s sink or swim. You either become an expert or you stand around being clueless.” He stopped. His blue eyes looked so sad.

“I’m so sorry.” I said, reaching for him.

“It’s not your fault. I mean for awhile, I was pretty pissed off at everyone. Why us? Why my sister? I mean she’s done some bad stuff, but nothing to be worthy of this. And it’s not just the fear of losing her to it, though I am terrified every time my phone rings that it’s going to be my Mom telling me that Chloe’s gone… But it’s also watching her go through this horrible procedures. I mean to save her they have to damn near kill her first. I hate seeing her like that, it’s so hard on her, and to be perfectly selfish, it’s hard on me too. I mean anticipating the worst all the time, trying to remain optimistic when she’s sick and miserable… Dropping my life at the drop of a hat whenever she gets sick, so I can be with her, just in case it is the last time. Sometimes as horrible as it sounds, I wish it was just over. One way or the other, either get let her go, or get her better, because this limbo is killing us all. But then after I think that, I feel horrible. She’s my sister, and I love her.”

“Well, I mean, I don’t think it’s so horrible. I don’t think you want her to die, you just don’t want her to be in pain.” I said.

“Yeah.” He said.

He looked so tired that I pulled him so his head was done in my lap. I did what my Mom used to do to me when I was younger and stressed… I alternated between tugging gently on his hair, and scratching/rubbing his scalp. We sat there, quietly for awhile, until the oven beeped and I got up to get the lasagna out. As I was setting the table, Seth came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Thank you, so much, for everything.” He said, his voice a little hoarse. “Thank you for being so nice to Chloe, even before you knew she was sick, and thank you so much for just listening and being there for me tonight, and thank you for just being you.”

“You’re so welcome hon.” I answered, turning around to give him a long kiss.


We ate dinner in almost complete silence. It wasn’t a bad thing, I think Seth just needed quiet to decompress. After dinner, Seth started to clear the plates.
“Just leave them. Can you stay for awhile, or do you need to get back?” I asked.

“I can stay.”

“Wanna watch a movie?” I asked.

“That would be great.”

Seth ended up spending the night, but it wasn’t what I had originally planned when I had asked him to spend the night when we were at the club. We didn’t even sleep together… He fell asleep on the couch, and as much as I wanted to stay smushed on the couch with him all night, I also wanted to make sure he got a good nights sleep… Which is also why I didn’t wake him to move him to my bed, I just wanted him to rest.

I woke up the next morning to Seth gently shaking me.

“Hey.” I said, rubbing my eyes. “Is everything OK? Did you sleep alright? I wanted to wake you but you looked like you needed the sleep.”

“Last night was exactly what I needed, thank you… But I feel bad. I forgot all about Valentine’s day, and I know last night wasn’t very romantic…” He trailed off, and he looked so sad.

“Seth, it was fine. Valentine’s day isn’t that big of a deal anyway, and you and I really just met, so that’s a tricky situation. Plus, you have a lot going on.”

“I know, but you have a lot going on too, with the Toni situation and then all your ex boyfriends are around, and that’s gotta bring up some feelings, even if you’re over them. I guess I’m just a little worried. I mean I’ve had girlfriends in the past who just couldn’t handle my dedication to my family. At first they all say it’s really sweet and they really admire it… But it never fails to eventually take a toll on our relationship. While that sucks, I’m just not willing to ditch my family for a girl, you know? But, I really like you, I don’t want that to happen with us.”

“And I can’t promise that it won’t happen.” I said honestly. “I mean, right now I do think it’s sweet. I like to think I have that same sort of dedication to my friends and family, but I’ve also never been in a situation like this before, so I don’t know if I can handle it or not. But, I’m willing to try. I like you too.”
“I do want to make it up to you… Think you can get away for a weekend? I know it’s a little soon for weekend trips away, but I need a break after all this, and I’m sure you do too. It’d be a couple weeks, when Chloe’s hopefully on the mend…”

“I’m sure I could manage it.” I said smiling.

“Good. I’ll check into some things and let you know when.”

“Where we going?” I asked.

“It’s a surprise.” And before I could protest, he leaned down and kissed me.

I normally hate kissing first thing in the morning. I’m extremely paranoid about morning breath, but Seth crawled into bed and we kissed and cuddled for awhile. It made me half an hour late for work, but it was well worth it. The ache I felt over the weekend over Drew was replaced with a warmth and happiness of Seth. I knew I needed to talk to Drew though, needed to tell him that I needed time and space. I needed to give Seth a real chance, because I did like him, he did make me happy, and Drew had obviously moved on anyway. It still hurt, but I knew Toni had been right… I needed to have some faith. I had a lot of regrets from Jason, but I couldn’t sit around worrying about every move I made. If anything, that’s what I did wrong with Drew, over thinking everything. I needed to just let things happened. Maybe I’d end up with Seth, maybe I’d end up with Drew. Maybe I wouldn’t end up with either one. It would all work out in the end. Right?

11 comments:

I'm gonna read this post in a bit.

Just wanted to ask how you were doing with your goal for Relay for Life.

 

just wanted to say still one of my favorite all time reads :) thanks for writing it

 

Crazy day at work and this provided me with a much needed break...thanks! Love reading your posts! Oh and Seth - so amazing...quickly becoming his #1 fan!

 

Hii! So, for like this entire blog, people have been talking about their “Jasons,” and how they completely understood how Ella could keep going back to the same guy even though she knew he was a tool, and whatever else. But I didn’t. I was always like “There’s no way I’d ever have a Jason. I would never fall for someone who has spent his entire life hurting me.” And then this morning, I realized that I already had. His name is Alex. He’s been my best friend since fourth grade, and I’ve been secretly (desperately) in love with him since ninth. And he finally kissed me last night. Not to sound too cheesy, but it was like, everything I’ve wanted for so. long. This morning we went out for our weekly coffee “date,” and about halfway through I said “So, about last night..” and he responded with “What about last night? Nothing happened, got it?”

Yeah. So, what was I supposed to do? I said “Got it..” and let him go back to his girlfriend. I know I should probably just cut him out of my life, because this isn’t the first time he’s done something like this (sure, first time he’s done this specifically, but he’s constantly flirting with me, asks me out on dates (that’s what he calls them, I swear.) like every other day, and then when we’re on them, he says “What? This isn’t a date,” he calls me his “girlfriend” in public but if anyone asks he swears up and down that we’re not dating… it’s like a freakin roller coaster ride.), but for some stupid reason I just can’t let him go. Because not only do I have this insane crush on him that probably won’t ever go away, but he’s also my very best friend, and even though I know he’s a douchetool sometimes, I can’t help but want to be with him every second of the day. Plus, he’s practically a John Krasinski clone, so that doesn’t help. I love Jim Halpert.
So congratulations Laura. I completely understand Ella’s pain now.
Aaaaanyway, I liked this post a lot too. They seem to be getting better every day! I’m really happy that Ella seems to be moving on. It might not last for very long, but at least she’s trying. So proud of my girl :D

 

Knew Chloe couldn't just be sick with a cold like everybody else. It's so sad when someone so young is facing something like this. I hope everything turns out alright...even though I know it probably won't.

And I do agree that she needs to talk to Drew. Really talk, like they did that day at the house after Toni went to the hospital.

 

What a sweet post and what a sweet guy that Seth is. Poor Cloey but she has a wonderful family to support her. Hannah, sorry about your "Jason" but I'm glad you realized it. You look like a beautiful girl from your profile pic. My advise to you is to just start distancing yourself from Alex. there is an awesome guy waiting for you somewhere, and I'm sure you'll find him.

 

i think ella needs to wait to talk to drew when he's being less of DB. i really did not like him in the last post. seth is really sweet. im really warming up to him. :) and Hannah you deserve a guy that is proud to say you're his girlfriend to the world. :) Someone who won't play mind games. Don't settle for anything less. Plus stop putting up with this from your best friend. Until you show you don't like him treating you like this, he'll keep treating you the same way. Good luck, lady, we're all rooting for ya. :) :)
-Sheena
PS- Another great post as always. :) Good start to a Monday morning.

 

I am really starting to warm up to seth too, i really wanted ella to be with drew but after the last couple posts he is not the same as he was the rest of the story, he is actually starting to sound like jason now and i don't like it lol.

I like the new layout, will take time to get used to it but i like it.

 

Seth is looking better to me, too. I still love Drew, but I like Seth. Seems like a good guy, a family guy, with a lot on his plate. Ella does, too, though, so we'll see how it flows. mum

 

I just had a thought. Doesn't Drew and Ella's relationship remind you guys of Luke and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls? I loved that show...

It's getting harder and harder for me to decide who I want Ella to end up with. I wish she could have a harem and be with all of them lol.

 

Laura, I found a link to your site from another. This is wonderful, I'll be a faithful reader! I love the way you write!