Drew's POV: You've got his heart and my heart and none of the pain

I had gone out last night to celebrate Matt’s birthday, and was surprised to see that Ella was MIA. I was curious to where she was, but I didn’t want to ask about her. She had been so weird lately, and honestly, I was a little relieved that she wasn’t there. It was easier when she wasn’t around, as hard as that was to admit. There was a point in time where no matter how much it hurt to see her, it was better when she was around. Now, it was just hard, all the time, and as much as I wanted it to be easier, I couldn’t figure out how to make it easier.

Not that she was trying to help matters.

Still, even though I was glad she wasn’t there, and even though I didn’t want to ask where she was, I was still curious. Was she avoiding me? Was she still pouting? Was this another juvenile trick to make me wonder about her?

When I overheard Matt telling Jarren that she was with Seth, I got angry. And then I got angry because I was angry. I shouldn’t care. Things were supposed to be over between us. She could see who ever she wanted, and so could I. I reasoned with myself that I was just upset that Christi wasn’t there. It was partly that, but again, partly because I always hated it when Ella dated anyone.

I didn’t stay out as long as I normally would have. I wanted to get some extra time in on the house, I wanted to be alone. I wanted to call Christi to take my mind off Ella. So I went home, and tried to ignore Seth’s car in Ella’s driveway as I drove past. It was harder to ignore his car still in her driveway this morning when I woke up.

I used my anger to fuel my demo work, pounding tile and pretending to be pounding Seth’s face. That, combined with texting Christi, made me feel better. Fuck Ella. Fuck Ella and this whole fucked up situation. I knew it was partly my fault too, but it was so much easier to blame her, rather than place the blame on the both of us. I was feeling better when my Mom called.

“Hi Drew!” She said, sounding actually excited to talk to me. “How’s it going bud?” This was also a new habit she had picked up since dating the guy with kids. She talked to me like I was four.

“Fine Mom. How are you?” I asked, tossing down my hammer and sitting on the toilet.

“Good, good. I was wondering when you’d be able to come for a visit?”

“Dunno, Mom. We’re really busy here. Trying to get the house ready and all.”

“Well, do you think you could make it away for just a couple days? The kids would really love to see you.”

“I don’t think so Mom. We’re kind of on a tight deadline with lots to get done.” I said, knowing I sounded distracted and not really caring.

“You’re brother and sister would like to see you Drew.” She repeated again.

“I’d really love to see them too, Mom. But they’re dead. You do remember they died, right? Or did you forget about them when you replaced them?”

She was quiet for a moment, and I could hear her trying to reign her anger in. Good old Mom, never showing any emotion.

“Drew, I would really like you to come see us.”

“Don’t think it’s going to happen Mom.” I repeated.

I knew I sounded harsh, but I didn’t really care. My Mom spent her whole life trying to act like I didn’t exist, like I was invisible. Now that she wanted to play Mommy, I wasn’t all that interested in playing son.

“Well.” She said, the excitement now drained out of her voice. “I wanted to wait till you came home to tell you, but… Well, I hope you can at least make it home for the wedding.”

“The wedding?” I asked, outraged. “Really Mom? You’re not even divorced yet!”

“Well thanks Drew, I’m pretty happy myself.” She countered.

“Yeah. Well. I gotta go.” I said, hanging up.

I went back to beating tile. When my phone rang a few minutes later, I eyed it warily. My Mom was pretty good at keeping her emotions hidden, but I always expected her to crack. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if she was calling me back to tell me off.

I looked at the caller ID. Christi.

“Hey you.” I said, smiling as I answered.

“Hey yourself.” She responded. “I don’t have a lot of time to talk, I just wanted to see what you were up to tonight?”

“Nothing. How about you?”

“I have some studying to do, but part of it is actually watching some Disney movies. Wanna come over and watch with me?”

“Disney movies? I want to go to your school.” I joked.

“It’s all about subliminal messages in children’s movies. There’s an urban legend floating around the some Disney movies have subliminal sex messaging. We’re supposed to watch and write a paper.” She explained.

“Well, I’m down. You want me to pick up dinner on the way?”

“Sure. Or we could just order a pizza. What do you think, seven work for you?”

“Sounds perfect. See you then.” I said, hanging up.


Christi was quickly becoming the highlight of my life right now. I had never met anyone quite like her, except for Ella. Part of me was a little worried that I was just going after her because she was so much like Ella. She was in school to become a therapist for children, and her dream was to use animals in her therapy. Still, there were pieces of her that weren’t like Ella at all. Her straightforwardness, she loved to sing and was quite good at it… Her drama free lifestyle. It was easy to be with her, it was worry free. I liked her a lot already, and could only see it growing in the future.

I worked a little longer, wanting to get all the tile off the floor and the walls so we could begin laying tile tomorrow. I was amazed at how fast the house was coming together, especially now that Jason was here to help, and some of Seth and Christi’s friends were stopping by often. The bedrooms were done, and now we had moved on to the bathrooms. After the bathrooms, the whole upstairs would pretty much be done. Nick was hoping to start on the basement when he came down again on the weekend. We were holding off on the downstairs. Nick wanted to see how far we got, he didn’t want to start a project only to have the babies show up in the middle. The kitchen was probably going to be our biggest undertaking, and it might get pushed back until after the babies were born. I wished Toni was here to see the progress we had made. I knew it would make her feel better about the whole situation. But, she had decided to stay with her Mom a little longer, so she could spend some time with Nick after he got off work. He was going to bring her and the kids back, along with some more of their things when he came back on the weekend.
After I was done working, I hopped in the shower, and then got dressed for my date. I threw on a pair of jeans and a long sleeved polo. I wanted to look good, but didn’t want to look like I was trying. After all, it was just pizza and a movie.
I opened the door to step out and ran smack dab into Ella.

“Oh. Hey. Sorry about that. You here to see Jason?” I said, moving around her and down the steps.

“No, actually. I’m here to see you. Got a minute?”

“Nope. Heading out now. Besides, I thought you wanted space?” I answered. I was in full on dick mode. I didn’t care.

“Drew. Please?” She said, reaching out and touching my arm lightly. “It’s important and will only take a second.”

I paused and turned to look at her. Her eyes looked sad. I could never resist that. I sat down on the edge of the stairs. She smiled and sat down next to me.

“What’s up?” I asked.

“I know what I said about space... And it’s what I thought I wanted, but now I’m just… Confused. Things between us got so weird so fast, we said it wouldn’t get like this.”

“But it is.” I said shrugging. “I don’t know how to change it.”

“Neither do I.” She answered, sighing. “You are just so confusing right now.”

“I’m confusing? You’re the one freaking out because I’m hanging out with another girl. You have a boyfriend Ella, and it’s not me.”

“First, he’s not my boyfriend.”

“Not yet.” I countered.

“Whatever. He’s not right now. And secondly, you’re the one who broke up with me. You’re the one who told me you wanted to be with me, but not right now, because of your Mom. You’re the one who told me you’d wait for me. Then the first second another girl comes around, a girl who happens to remind Seth of me, by the way, you go after her.” She sounded agitated, angry.

“Ella, I already told you, I’m not arguing with you.” I said, standing to leave.

“You’re right.” She said. “I don’t want to argue either. But, I’m angry. I can’t help it. I’m so angry with you, and hurt, and just. Confused. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know how to fix this, I want to go back to how we were, but I can’t. I just don’t know how too, and I don’t want to believe that cutting you off is my only option.”

“So what is it that you want from me Ella? You want me to figure this all out for you? Fix this like I always use too? I told you, I don’t have the answers either. I’m just as clueless as you are right now.”

“I didn’t ask you to fix this! Jesus Drew, I’m just trying to talk to you. You remember talking, right? We used to do that all the time.”

“Yeah, well. Things change.” I said, thinking of both Ella and my Mom.

“Oh trust me Drew, I know that.” She said, sarcastically. “Just look at you. It’s like you and Jason suddenly swapped personalities. He’s caring and nice to me, and you’re a walking talking dick.”

“Why are you even comparing us Ella? I’ve been nothing but nice to you. I’m sorry you’re not getting your way right now, but I think it’s time you grew up and moved on. Stop throwing temper tantrums when people don’t do what you want.”

“Right Drew. You’re right. It’s totally time to grow up and move on. I’m just done with this. You used to be my go-to person. If I had a problem, you understood. And now, you’re just… Mean. I meant it when I said I don’t want to fight with you. I really don’t. But now, the fact of the matter is,I think my first decision was best. I don’t even want to be your friend. Bye Drew. This is me, moving on.”

With that, she stood and walked inside the house, slamming the door behind her.

I tried to tell myself I didn’t care. Told myself the whole way over to Christi’s house. Who needed her anyway? Lately all Ella had been doing was causing a huge source of stress in my life. But if it didn’t matter, then why did it hurt so much?

17 comments:

I enjoyed this post. It def gave us more insight into Drew and the relationship with his mother, which is so sad. Maybe he is in dick-mode, but I get it. In his mind, being Ella's go to guy has also meant being a doormat, always ready and waiting. It'll do both of them good to be apart. mum

 

It's so sad and frustrating that they won't just suck up their pride & admit (at least to themselves, if not to each other) that they still care about each other and to a certain extent still want to be together. Until they do, they're going to keep being distracted by Seth & Christy, and they're temporary "bandaids" that first of all don't address what's really bothering them and secondly keeps driving Ella & Drew farther apart. I like S&C, but I still want E&D to be together. They were such a fairy tale couple, and it seems like they're both giving up on the fairytale, Ella because she's throwing yet another temper tantrum (or was, until this post), Drew because he's no longer to just handle the hurt & is trying to deal with it by replacing Ella with Christie (which of course hurts Ella & makes her turn to Seth more, which hurts Drew, ad infinitum)...Do they even know how much they're hurting each other? You're a great writer, Laura, but this situation is so frustrating!

 

Not only is it frustrating and driving everyone crazy, especially us readers hehe, but its such a simple fix that they just don't get. One of them gets angry and the other shuts down, then they swap and do it again. They both need to grow up and talk it out but right now Drew is in Dick mode and Ella is being stubborn and they are replacing each other with other people and it is obvious Drew is replacing Ella with someone like her. They are driving me insane that is how good the story is :)

 

I understand why Ella is so confused, I would be upset if Drew told me we couldn't be together because of all the stuff going on in his life only to see him a weel later moving on with another girl! And the way Drew is handling the whole situation is pissing me off! I don't know why but this whole post just made me more pissed at him! This story is so good and draws you in... While you are reading it you are feeling everything that the characters are feeling! Good Job can't wait thill Thursday

 

Great post, loved this from Drew's pov! I haven't read enough of the older stories yet to understand all that has happened with his mom, but it seems pretty complex and is certainly effecting how he is handling other relationships. Intense...

 

Glad to get Drew's perspective. This situation is so messed up. They both have their walls up and it isn't making the situation any easier. Ella replaced Drew with Seth pretty quickly, Drew is dealing with his pain by replacing Ella and everyone is hurting. Drew didn't want to be Ella's go-to guy, he wanted to be her everything guy. And so he is resorting to dick mode to protect himself. Those two are meant for eachother if they would just find their way back.

And Drews situation is more messed up than ever. His mother calling those two kids his brother and sister, trying to act like a mother after years of disinterest and neglect, and getting married when she isn't even divorced yet. I feel for the guy.

 

So this post just reinforced what I have been leaning towards- she should definately be with Seth (or I am still hanging to a shred of hope for Jason).
BTW, Laura, thanks for putting the swidget back up! And I like the new layout, since I finally figured out how to post a comment! :)

 

I really want to slap Drew right now. He isn't taking any responsibilty for his part in this mess. He's acting like a two year and putting all the blame on Ella. ughhh! I hate seeing this side of Drew. :(
-Sheena

 

I ctually do understand where Drew us coming from. He has always been the go to guy/doormat. I think it's hard on him which explains the title. First its Jason then it's Seth. I think he is wondering where he really fits in her heart. She did find a guy rather quickly and I don't think he knows how to deal with that. I don't think he was ready to deal with that inspite of what he said.

 

Ok, I commented before, read others and then re-read the story just to see if my viewpoint changed any and the only thing it did was make me want to smack Drew upside the head with my shoe! I can see where he is taking out his anger and frustrations from his mom on her. I understand he is upset but I NEVER thought he had the right to be upset with Ella over the Jason thing to begin with as it was BEFORE THEY GOT TOGETHER. Now he is just taking it to a whole new level. HE has the majority of the blame from my POV in this situation because he pushed her away, broke up with her, told her to date others, told her he would wait for her, made out with another chick and replaced her with a clone yet blames Ella for everything it seems. They need to be renovating the same room with no one else in the house when suddenly the door gets locked or jammed shut and they are locked in for hours forced to hash it all out and talk before someone comes and rescues them.

 

Reading this POV just made me even more upset with Drew. I used to love the fairy tale with Drew and Ella but now I am starting to think she is better off without him. Maybe forcing a conversation between the two of them will work but at this point I think they may have passed the opportunity to be together by. Point of no return. I don't know. Can't wait until Thursday!

 

I think Drew is doing what anyone would do, he is blaming Ella because it is easier than dealing with the real issue. He wanted them to be apart so that Ella wouldn't be clouded by Jason and instead he got replaced. And so now he is pushing her away because being around her but not WITH her hurts too much. And he is haning around Christi so he can sort of be with an Ella clone.

I agree with the one poster who said they should get stuck in a room together. No getting angry and walking away. They actually have to work through their problems.

 

Can I just jump into this blog and smack Drew upside the head. The poor guy is just so bitter at being hurt by Ella and his mom (and Ella wasn't aware she ever hurt him because he never said anything) and all these feelings are just coming out in "dickhead form" He needs a good slap to wake up!!

 

Maybe I'm over psycho-analyzing things here, but it seems that Drew is maybe using this 'anger' or 'dick-headedness' as a defense or coping mechanism. I do, however, agree with many of the other readers that I think he deserves a big smack upside the head. I needed to hear things from his point of view though, and I still have a glimmer of hope in him... even though he's been such a jerk lately, the fact that he realizes he's doing it (i.e., "I was in full on dick mode"), is a good thing. Yes, he's being a big dumb-head, but he realizes it, and realizes that it's because of his feelings for Ella. I think Ella needs to be the strong woman that we all know she is and stand her ground... at first I thought she was making a big mistake leaving him like that & cutting the stings, but now I can see that it's for both of their goods. Drew needs a little time to see how much he really misses her and see what he's losing. Then he needs to get down on his knees and gravel. :)

Gosh... you wouldn't think this is fiction... I get so into it, it seems so real.

 

I don't think Drew needs a smack upside the head... he needs a full on punch in the face. He's being worse than Jason ever was, "I love you and I want to be with you and only you but I don't want to be with you right now and you should date other guys and oh look, that chick reminds me of you so I'm going to make out with her and then blame the whole thing on you even though I'm the one who broke your heart." At least Jason has the excuse of he was young when most of the crappy things he did took place. And the fact that Ella never said flat out "I love you and want to be with you Jay". Ella took a leap of faith with Drew because she was afraid of losing another best friend, but she felt strongly enough about her feelings for Drew to do it... and he crushed her almost right away for something she did before they were even together... something she didn't tell him about because she was so embarrassed and disgusted by it.

I do feel bad that Drew's going through all that crap with his mom, but he shouldn't be taking it out on Ella.. if anything, he should be talking to her about it. That's what you do when you're a grown up in a grown up relationship with grown up problems... you talk them out with your significant other and each of you is there for the other. The "I have mommy issues" defense is a load of crap.

Sorry, the last few posts with how badly Drew's treating Ella has really made me angry. I wouldn't put up with that if it happened to me and I really think Ella needs to punch him and tell him to get over himself. lol

 

Oh Ella and Drew...when will you guys learn how to communicate better and not play mind games with one another.

Great post! It was good to see how Drew was feeling and handling this situation. I don't think he wants to be a dick with Ella, but he's just so mad because it seems like she moved on too fast.

 

just wanted to say great writing! looks like you have the first-person in someone else's POV down pat now, i like it!