I never wanted anything so much than to drown in your love and not feel your rain

When I saw the email from Kayla, I froze. I still had orange juice in my mouth, and it sat there, un-swallowed. My hand sat frozen on the mouse, my eyes went un-blinked, and I didn’t breathe. I was like a deer caught in the headlights.

Finally, I blinked, and swallowed, and sat back in my chair, taking in a deep breath. I didn’t want to read it. I didn’t know why she was emailing me. It could be something surrogacy related. Jason could have said something to her about me. Jason could have blamed me. She could be going off on me in an email, blaming me for the wreck that was their marriage.

On the one hand, I don’t think it was my fault. I couldn’t help the way I felt about Jason, it was like it was engraved in me. But, I also hadn’t used that as an excuse to make a move on him. As much as I did care for him, he was a married man, and married men are off limits. I also couldn’t control how he felt. If he wanted to be with me, well. I don’t know. I also didn’t encourage that, and I had cut things off when he admitted it though.

But, on the other hand, I put myself in Kayla’s shoes. I would probably be blaming everyone, especially the girl my husband wanted to leave me for. And, I wasn’t quite sure what Jason had told her. Again, it could have been nothing. But, he could have also blamed me.

I knew one thing: I wasn’t dealing with this at work. I closed my email and went ahead and did rest of my paperwork. Then, I left my office and made the decision to avoid it and computers for the rest of the day.

Greg texted me asking if I wanted him to bring me lunch. I said yes, and he came and brought Rally’s, not exactly the healthiest thing, but it would definitely fall into the comfort food category, which I felt like I really needed.

I was moping and moody, I couldn’t help it. I was depressed that a great night had to be ruined by Jason, and I realized that this was a very real situation that I couldn’t just run and hide from. I was going to have to talk to Jason, and we were going to have to work it out.

I tried to slap on a happy face for Greg, but he saw right through it.

“So, you gonna tell me what’s wrong?” He asked, popping a fry into his mouth.

“What do you mean?” I asked, swallowing a bite of burger and washing it down with my pop.

“Well.” He said, then paused to take a drink. “You were great when you left me this morning, and now, you’re just kind of blah. Is it work? Is it me? I mean don’t say it’s nothing, because obviously that’s a lie.”

I smiled at him. “It’s not you, it’s just. A lot of things. My life is kind of a mess right now, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it.”

“You wanna talk about it?” He asked.

“I dunno if you want to hear about it.” I started. He looked a little insulted at that remark, so I spoke up quickly, trying to correct myself.
“It’s not that I don’t think you don’t care. It’s just. A LOT of information. I don’t know if it’ll overwhelm you or not.”

“Try me.” He glanced at his watch. “I have about a half hour before I have to leave.”

“You get an awfully long lunch.” I commented, looking down at my own watch.

“Well, I’m close, and I don’t have a class after lunch. I’m still supposed to be back, it’s my planning period, but if I’m a few minutes late, no one’s going to know. Am I keeping you?”

“No. Today’s pretty clear. If anyone asks, I’ll say I’m trying to talk you into performing for the kids, this can be a working lunch.”

“Good deal. Now.” He wiped his mouth with a napkin. “Spill.”


So spill I did. I went way back to the start of Jason and I, and while I skipped around a little, I didn’t leave out the hard things, or the important things. I told Greg about my miscarriage, about Kayla, how I felt when they got married, the surrogacy, and Jason’s recent confession. His eyes glassed over while I was talking, and I knew I was saying too much. But, it was like I uncorked the bottle, and I couldn’t get it back on. Everything just kept pouring out.

I talked for a good twenty minutes, the rest of my unfinished burger growing cold in front of me. Finally, things started to trickle to an end.

“I just, was really happy when I left you this morning. And now, I come in here, and I get this email from his wife. I don’t want to look at it, not while I’m at work, but I know it’s there, and I know I’m going to have to read it, I know I’m going to have to sort this out with Jason, and it’s just, all really jumbled.”

There was a good two minutes of solid silence after I stopped talking. It made me really nervous, and I couldn’t force myself to look at Greg. I wanted him to talk, to say anything, but I also knew it was a lot to process at once, so I felt like I should give him a minute to take it all in. Finally, he cleared his throat.

“That was… A lot. I’m sorry, but I think I should head back to work now. I am only a sub, and I do really like this job, so. I don’t want to get into trouble.”

I was shocked. I had told him it was a lot of information, and I knew it was, but he was the one who told me he could handle it. And now he was just slinking away? I knew arguing with him would just make it worse, so I just nodded. However, when he didn’t even come over to hug me goodbye, I knew it was over, and I suddenly just felt horrible.

I went up to Mama River’s office and told her I felt sick and thought I should go home. Then I found Matt.

“Hey, do you think you can drive me home?” I asked, interrupting his own lunch.

“Sure, what’s wrong?” He said, grabbing his sandwich and throwing away his trash.

“I’m just not feeling so good. This way you can keep my car and drive yourself home tonight.”

He looked me up and down, and nodded slowly. He told Betty he would be back after running me home, and gently took my arm to help me to the car. He walked me to the passengers side, opened the door, and gently shut the door behind me. He waited until we were driving down the street before he spoke.

“You going to tell me what’s really going on?” He asked.

“I don’t feel good. I already told you.” I said, looking away from him and out the window.

“You felt fine when I saw you this morning. You looked OK when I saw you before your lunch with Greg. A little tired, but you still looked fine. Then I see him leaving, and you come out looking white as a ghost. What did he do to you?”

“He didn’t do anything, Matt.” I said, trying to keep my voice calm.

“What did he do, Ella?” Matt repeated again. There was an edge in his voice that I wasn’t used to hearing, and even with his slight speech impediment, he sounded a little intimidating.

“He just asked me what was wrong with me, and I told him, and I think I ruined things.”

“What? What do you mean?” Matt asked, his eyebrows knotted in confusion.

I sighed, and for the second time that day, relayed the whole story. I started this time with Greg and I eating lunch, and including everything that had happened. We were parked in my driveway before I could finish. Matt, however, didn’t rush things, and he waited calmly for me to finish, watching me the whole time.

“So, then Greg just kind of left. He already said it was no big deal if he left late, but then he retracted and said he had to be back, and actually left early. And, I just think it was too much. Which is why I didn’t want to tell him in the first place, but he kept bugging me to, so… And now everything is just… Wrecked.”

I was wiping away tears as I spoke. I didn’t want to be crying, but I was just so sick of everything being so messed up, and all because of Jason.

Matt pulled me to him, into his arms, and hugged me tight. My face was pressed into his soft sweatshirt, and as I breathed in, I realized how good he smelled, and how good it felt to be here. We stayed like that for a moment, quietly hugging, before Matt spoke.

“Ella, if that’s all it takes to get rid of Greg, is he really worth it? Does that really sound like someone who will stick by you? Cause to me it seems like he’s the type of guy who’s going to run every time the road gets a little bumpy. Was that a lot of information? Yeah, it was. Was it hard to hear? It could have been. But, it’s also you, your history, and what you’re going through now. It’s important. I’m just happy you trusted me enough to share it with me.”

“I’m really glad I met you Matt. I mean you talk about what I’ve done for you, but I haven’t done much. You’ve become a really good friend, and I appreciate that.” I looked up at him, and he used his giant thumb to gently wipe away the last few tears.

“Right back at you.”

“Well…” I ventured. “Since we’re all about sharing right now… Are you going to tell me what’s going on with you and Kellie?” I knew it was dangerous territory, but I felt like right now might be my only time to ask.

He sighed, and his face got stony for a moment. I regretted asking the question and ruining the moment. The he cleared his throat.

“I don’t really know what’s going on. I think I’ll have a better idea once I see her this weekend. I know I’ve been a little distant and hard to deal with lately, but I promise, after this weekend when I’m sure of what’s going on, I’ll tell you all about it. Then you can help me sort out my mess.” He said, smiling.

I nodded. “Fair enough.”

“Look, I better get back to work. But, how about I grab dinner on the way home, and we watch a couple of movies and just bum around the house together? Sound good?”

“Sounds perfect.” I said, smiling back at him. “Just try to bust out early, OK?”

He laughed. “Yeah, I’ll try my best.” He answered.

I got out of the car, waving to him as he backed down the driveway. Things with Matt were confusing, but at least I knew where I stood. He had a girlfriend, and he was honoring that commitment. It made me respect him more. I turned and went to unlock the door, freezing in place when I realized that it was already unlocked. Then I remembered I hadn’t been home this morning, and Matt just must have forgotten to lock it. I walked in, calling for the dogs. The dogs were not what came out to greet me.

16 comments:

Wow. The story just keeps on getting better and better! I can't wait for the next posts!

 

I can't wait for the next post either! I really hope we get the continued post to this one, and not a flashback. I don't know if I can wait for a fb to post and then the next present one. This is too good!!!!!

 

Great post! I know we have said it before but thanks so much for sharing your talent!!

 

really good, no tissues needed which i was worried about when i read the title...lol I agree with S. i don't want to wait, but i really liked that steamy session with Jacob so...either way we win! LOL
I hope you are feeling better, and ds is too.
take care

 

Jason or Drew? Or maybe Jacob comes back??? Can't wait! mum

 

My guess is good 'ol Jason, would be like him to just show up like that. And then he and Matt get into a fight lol. Yes I agree I can't wait to see the next post on this one, buuuttt, I want to read on the steamy possible sex with Jacob!!! As Jen said either way we win :)

 

Noooooooo, a cliffhanger!!! I forgot...Does she post on Fridays?!!!

That was great. I love this blog....Truly, madly , deeply LOVE this blog. lol

MzzMechell

 

I love this story. I can't lie. I'm a little ticked at Ella though. There's a time and a place for everything...and I don't think she made a very good decision to tell Greg all that. They'd only gone on a few dates. I'm not sure how she expected him to handle it! But obviously me being a little ticked at Ella means I can relate to the characters and their feelings...I love it! Keep up the awesome work.

 

I never liked that Greg. Now even less. Not sure if I want to see Ella and Matt hook up though. But what a great cliff-hanger ending to this post! Love it. Can't wait to see who's waiting....

 

I knew I didn't like Greg. What a ass. He bugs her to tell him and puts her in a akward situation, she doesn't want to tell but she trusts him when he says all would be well and he can take it. Then he just retracts. WHAT AN ASS!!!

I am so glad he is gone. I hope it is for good!!

 

Great Post! you are truly talented! now i forgot is this non-fiction? or fiction? or a little of both?

 

Thanks, again you guys. Cayden doesn't seem to be sick, so, we're keeping our fingers crossed that he doesn't catch it, especially since we have this trip to the pumpkin patch planned for Sunday, and our weekends are so jam full of fall-fun stuff that if we don't make it this Sunday, we're most likely not going to be able to go, so. I feel loads better, but I sound a lot worse, lol. However my sore throat for the most part is gone, which makes me SO happy. Sore throats and stomach aches I just can't deal with. ANYWAY, to answer your questions:
I do post Friday. However, it will be a flashback. I have the next part to the present written but I'm not sure I like it, so that may change. However, my husband works Saturday and my Mom is supposed to be taking Cayden, so if I get done with it, you may get a bonus post sometime Saturday (I get really excited to see your guys' reactions so I often can't wait to post either!) And this blog is half and half, half truth, half fiction. However, it's starting to get more into the non-fiction side of things. Everyone in this blog is based on someone, and Ella is loosely based on me, but there are some things she does that I would never do, and vice versa.

 

*happy dance* greg is gone! what a DB for not even giving her a hug. matt is so nice. can't wait to see who is at the house. amazing post!
-sheena

 

I love Matt. Not as much as Jacob *sigh* (I'm in love with a fictional character and I have no idea what he looks like, you are a good writer!) or Drew. But Matt is awesome.

Great post, sooooo glad greg is gone. I threw a temper tantrum the other day now I do my happy dance!

 

Ah! Nuts I will now be checking back like a crazy person for the next post.

PS I gotta say I normally think cliffhanger posts come off cheezy (well, in another blog I read they are always super cheezy) but this one was written / ended perfectly, no cheese just pure story build up. Great Post!

 

AHH! Who is it!? Jason? Drew? I think I want her to be with Matt in the end...but I want to know what went wrong with Jacob! Oh so much to think about!