Why do you try to hold on to what you'll never get a hold on?

My heart stopped. Literally stopped. And I think maybe I forgot to breathe, or forgot how too. I felt like I was drowning and realized, in a way I was, because I wasn’t breathing. I sucked in a deep breath, and then another, and then I couldn’t stop myself and was hyperventilating.

“Ella?” Jason asked. His voice went from angry to confused and sort of worried.

“That’s none of your business Jason.” I spit out. Fear and panic were suddenly gone, replaced by such a deep seeded rage. Who the hell did he think he was, bringing up the past and demanding answers? He never gave me any answers.

“I thought so too, at first. But, I was still curious. I mean, wouldn’t you be Ella? So I called Drew, and he told me I should ask you. He wasn’t shocked at all, so he knew about it. But, you two have always been close, so maybe that’s not such a surprise. But, when I called Nick, to get his opinion on things, he wasn’t surprised either, and he said the same thing Drew said.” Jason’s voice had a tone to it, it’s hard to describe, but it was like velvet over steel, soft but with a hard edge lurking underneath it all.

“You’re telling me it’s none of my business, but how is it everyone’s but mine? You even told Kayla, Ella. KAYLA! You two being friends is bullshit, and you know it!” He suddenly shouted.

I didn’t know what to say, he was right in a way. I would be really hurt to find out the he or Drew had kept something so serious from me, and even more hurt if I had found out that everyone but me had known about it.

“It was Jake, wasn’t it?” Jason said, his voice lower and calmer.

“Jake?” I questioned, lost. “Oh. Jacob? No, Jason, it wasn’t him.”

“You didn’t really date too much after Jacob…” Jason trailed off. I knew he was wracking his brain trying to think of who it might be, and I knew once again, he was totally clueless.

“Why does this matter so much to you? It’s in the past, Jason, why can’t it just stay there?”

“Because I thought I knew you better than that.”

He sounded so sad, it almost broke my heart.

I sighed, and tapped my fingers on the table. I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t want the truth to come out like this, I was actually hoping the truth would never have to come out.

“It was before Jacob, Jason. It was a crazy time, and I really. I just don’t want to talk about it, OK?”

“It’s just. We’ve been through so much Ella. And I know we’ve both changed, and I know we’re not as close as we used to be. But I never thought. I mean this is a big deal, how could you not tell me?”

Again, with the sad in his voice. If he was this upset over me not telling him, how much more upset would he be if he found out it was his baby I lost and never told him about?

I sighed deeply. “I told you, Jas. It was a crazy time, other things were going on, you and I were fighting, and I just. It hurt. It’s not something I love talking about, alright?”

“It was Chris, wasn’t it? He got you pregnant. I never liked that asshole. Did he help you at all, Ella?”

“Jason I keep telling you I don’t want to talk about it, and you just, you keep pushing. Why can’t you respect what I ask of you? Why does it always have to be what you want? Why can’t you respect my wishes?”

“Why can’t you just tell me?” He was pleading now. I wondered if in the back of his mind, he did know that it was him, and he was begging me to tell him differently.

“I think this may be a conversation we should have in person, Jason.”

“I think you’ve waited long enough and procrastinated enough, Ella. Just tell me.”


I had never really heard the pleading tone in Jason’s voice. Jason was confident, which is probably why he tended to get what he wanted. He had a way of asking that wasn’t so much asking as telling you what you were going to do. He sounded a little lost. Again, I felt a drop in my stomach. He knew, he knew it was him, and he just wanted me to tell him it was someone else, anyone but him.

“I found out I was pregnant when I was talking to you. I flew out to California to tell you, but then. It just, didn’t feel right, to make up and drop something like that on you. I came home and found out I had lost the baby, and I meant to tell you, but when was a good time? I tried to tell you Jason, at your going away party, but you were just so drunk, and so mean…” I trailed off.

“Who’s was it, Ella?” He repeated.

“Yours, Jason. The baby was yours.” I let it slip from my lips quietly, but we both felt it when it hit the air, it still had a heavy impact.

I fully expected Jason to hang up, to curse, to scream, to yell at me. But all I heard was a quick intake of breath, as if he had been stabbed. After that, there was just silence, and I would have thought that he did hang up on me, until I heard quiet, uneven huffs and sniffles. It took me a second to realize that Jason was crying.

“I’m sorry, I know I should have told you, but. It was just, such a crazy time. And I knew I had to tell you before you left for Iraq, I couldn’t let you go and come home to a newborn and not have known anything about it… But then I lost the baby and I didn’t know how to tell you, and then I did tell you at the party, but you told me I was always trying to wreck things for you, and I just. I didn’t know what to do Jason. You were with Kayla. You seemed happy. I just. I wanted you to be happy, even if you weren’t with me.”

“I wanted to be with you Ella. I knew the whole time I wanted to be with you, it was just.” He paused, and sighed. “It’s a little unnerving to know that you’ve met the person you want to spent the rest of your life with at fourteen. And I thought maybe it was just that I had known you so well, I felt a little trapped, so I tried to get away from you and try other things, meet new people. But, after you came to me in California, I just knew. There was no point in trying. But then you just got so distant, and Drew told me you had said you didn’t want to be with me anymore, so I just. I thought I had ruined everything. I was upset and Kayla was there for me, and she’s always been there for me, so I just thought…”

“Jason, this is just a whole bunch of past that I’d rather not bring into the present. It took me a long time to get over you, and I’m not even sure I’m fully there yet. I don’t really see the point in bringing all of this up again, there’s nothing we can do about it.”

“You should have told me sooner, Ella.” His voice switched quickly from sad to scolding and judgemental.

“I tried!” I shouted. I was starting to get frustrated, I felt like we were running around in circles and not really getting anywhere. It always felt like this was the case with Jason, we just did laps, circling around the same point over and over again, never really getting anywhere.

“You didn’t try hard enough, or else I would have known sooner, not years later!” He shouted back.

I felt the blood rise to my face, boiling. I had to hold myself back and make myself breathe through my anger. How dare he judge me? I was placed between a rock and a hard place, and maybe I didn’t make the right choice, but I made the best choice for everyone involved at the time.

“Jason.” I said, clenching my teeth and working hard to keep my voice even. “When would have been the right time to tell you? You left for Iraq, I was a little more concerned with sending you off in the right frame on mind so that you would come home again. I didn’t want to depress you before you left.”

“Did you ever think I was already depressed? Jesus Ella. You call me dense, you say I don’t see things? You’re the same way! You don’t see what’s right in front of your face!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Jason.” I said, honestly confused.

“I loved you Ella. I’ve always freaking loved you, and I had to settle for second best because I thought you didn’t love me. You’ve blamed me this whole time for how we ended, but you never put yourself out there. You want everyone else to put themselves and their hearts on the line and you don’t do any of it.” He paused, and I could hear him sniffle again. It was hard, Jason was manly in every sense of the word, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen or heard him cry. “Maybe it’s not your fault. But you’ve blamed me all along, and maybe it’s not mine either.”

I had nothing left to say to him. I felt very tired, and all of a sudden the cold hit me. I could feel it deep in my bones. My heart ached, and I just wanted to be inside, in my bed, curled up with Cumulus.

“I can’t do this anymore Jason. I can’t run around in circles anymore, I can’t keep going back to the past, and to you and me, and what we are or aren’t supposed to be. I made what I felt like was the best choice at the time. It may have been the wrong one, but I can’t go back and change it now. You also made a choice, you picked Kayla. You never fought for me. Maybe I didn’t fight for you either, but isn’t that saying something? That we both could let each other go so easily?”

“I don’t see it like that.” Jason said stubbornly.

I had to laugh, I could stop myself. It didn’t sound normal, it sounded a little bitter and choked.
“I don’t know how you see it then, Jay. What else do you want me to do? What do you want from me?” The tears had started, and I realized I was pleading with him. I had been doing this for years, dealing with Jason, trying to figure out what he wanted and how to make him happy. I just wanted answers, just wanted to know what to do to fix this. I just wanted to go back to how we were, how easy it was to be together, even if we had to cut out all the romance. My life was in such chaos lately, and I just wanted it all to come back together, to go back to how it was.

He was quiet. I could almost hear the struggle going on in his head, and I knew he was mulling over something. I never could have guess what would come out of his mouth next.

“I want you, Ella.”

Again, I was confused.

“I don’t know what you mean, Jason. You want me how?”

“I just… I want you. I made a mistake, I chose wrong, I want you.”

I suddenly felt like I was going to vomit. It was funny, in a way. For so long those were the words that I wanted to hear, and now that they were being said, it made me feel sick. I could help it, I hung up the phone. My brain was on overload, and sirens were blaring, and all I could think was, run!

I quickly picked up the phone and dialed again. I didn’t even wait for him to say hello.

“Drew, I need you.”

22 comments:

Whew! What a post!
I've never liked Jason but I did feel for him a little in this post. This is all so F*cked up! Ella should stay the hell away from him.

 

oh wow!what a loaded post..my heart breaks for them..regrets are sad..:-( ~kenyangal~

 

OMG! I can't wait for the next one.

 

I can totally relate. I'm married now, and I totally love my husband, but I am still in love with my first love. When I see and talk to him, those feelings come back in waves. Our relationship had a lot of ups and downs, and it wasn't meant to be. I know I made the right decison marrying my husband, but part of me will always love my first. I think Jason and Ella would have been a good couple, but I think, as always, it's bad timing.

 

OMG, that was a loaded post!! Ella needs to cut Jason loose. he is just not good for her. can't wait to see what happens with Drew and Ella.

 

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the story but Ella sometimes seems a bit full of herself at times. Five guys falling for her already? It's like every guy she has in her life besides for Nick(?) is in love with her. Or she seems to think so.
And she also seems to have issues in handling life by herself by always relying on others to deal with her problems and seems to put all the blame on others.
Which at times I like because it seems to reflect a lot of women but at the same time toughen up a little girl!
Great story though, love it. Probably the best blog that I'm reading.

 

Jason and Ella talk about not seeing what's in front of your face. What about poor Drew? He's in love with her. And she's going to bring him in to this mess? Oh, jeez. Can't wait for the next post. mum

 

Hi, Just got home over the weekend and TWO posts! yahoo!! Your blog goes perfect with morning coffee btw!:)

since i don't see the point in posting on the last post i hope it is ok i comment on it here, please bear with me.

I love that post, and was waiting for the boys too. I love how supportive drew is, how jacob walked up behind her, i loved it all. very well written, it felt like i was there.

for this post, i love the way you had her tell him, how she didn't wan to, how she said none of his business but ended up telling him too. I feel for jason, i too was in love with my first bf for years after i was married. but i DID make the right choice, sometimes it takes a while to see the "man" inside the boy, kwim? Jason should never have said that, even if he felt it, he is married now, committed/promised, i know old fashioned but i feel the world would be different if marriage was respected more. ok off my box! LOL

Laura awesome as always, emotional and connected. thanks!

 

OMG! I couldn't believe it! What a suspense at the end when she phoned Drew! I can't believe it. Can't wait for the next post...way to go Laura you're rocking this!

 

Ho-ly cow! I found this blog from another blog and I started reading it on Friday....I read from the beginning and I was so bummed when I got to the most recent post becauase I wanted to read more! Everything I've read from yesterday's post is so true...she relies on others too much, she needs to grow up, Jason should respect his marriage, etc etc etc, BUT that is all real life. Everyone in one way or another can relate to all of this...sometimes we just don't handle things in the mature manner we should, but that is life! Anyway, I am loving this and I can't wait for the next one! :)

 

I hate how Ella is bringing Drew into this. I think she is meant to be with Drew but calling him to tell him about Jason is going to lead to a disaster. I am really hoping she is calling Drew to proclaim her lovefor him. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

 

This is why I don't like Jason. He could have fought for her but didn't, and now that he is MARRIED he is going to do it? Yes I know that Ella could have too, but at least she is trying to move on.

 

wow. I just started reading this blog and got totally caught up in the whole thing. This post was amazing to say the least. i can't wait to see what happens next.

 

I think...somewhere down the line Ella and Drew will end up together, but I hope she is calling Drew to tell him she is sorry because she did the same thing to Jason that Drew did to her...holding things back and not finding out for years to come. I think Drew telling Jason that Ella was done was wrong, but Ella not telling Jason she was pregnant and miscarried his child is worse, imp.

I think Jason should have kept his feelings to himself, but at the same time, at least everything is out. Jason and Ella need to distance themselves from each other and deal with things because Jason is now married. He did make a commitment, and he needs to try and make things work with Kayla, but, at the same time, if Kayla is his second choice, in fairness to Kayla, Jason needs to end the marriage, because Kayla doesn't deserve being with someone who doesn't truly love her the way she needs to be loved.

I love fictional blogs...anything can happen...CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT POST!!!!!

 

Also, Jason is leaving for Iraq soon. I can see Jason ending his marriage to Kayla while he is deployed, and when he comes home, have all intentions of trying to work on things with Ella, but I think she and Drew will get together during that time, and then there will be another love triangle. It's fiction...anything can happen...can't wait.

 

I just started reading this blog, LITERALLY over the weekend, my saturday was spent in front of the computer reading from the very beginning and I just got to the present blog today. IT IS AWESOME, I love it and you have me on the edge of my seat, with goosebumps, on the verge of tears and everything in between. It is so well written and so captivating and enjoyable. THANK YOU, keep it up, I am hooked!!!

 

Like someone else said, this is why I don't like Jason. Yes, maybe Ella was wrong in the way she handled it but I agree that she was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Jason is so very judgemental, moreso than he has any right to be. For a grown man, he's awfully childish.

 

omg omg omg SO GOOD!!!!!!!

ahhh i cant believe she told him. I think he was a jerk for getting mad that she never told him. if i were her i would have been like i DID tell you and you were a complete asshole to me about it. i feel like she mentioned that in passing, i think I would have made that a bigger issue, so he couldn't REALLY be mad at her. well he could, but he has no right to.

i cant believe he just decided not to fight for her. I wouldn't want to be with him if he just didnt fight for her. like she said, doesnt it mean something that they never fought for each other? what a jerk, sometimes you give your heart away so early in life. UGH. i hate jason. i understand him, i felt bad for him in this post, but ugh i wish feelings could just be turned off and ellas would turn off for him and shed run away. but i dont want her with drew. he was a jerk (with good intentions, but a jerk) and she needs someone NEW in her life.

SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!! i love this blog =)

 

After reading this post I came to the conclusion that i don't want drew to be in love with ella. I hope it turns out that he is just a very caring friend. For her to call him like that, only because she needs him because of jason really rubbed me the wrong way. I think jason and ella are more suited for each other than any other guy in her life right now. Or maybe if she ends up with matt cause he is not involved in this whole mess and they would be able to start over new with each other. But Drew deserves better. He deserves to keep her as his good friend but in my opinion he is too good to be in a relationship with someone like ella. ( Though I do love her, I don't want to end up hating her for hurting drew in any way)

 

Great writing! My chest is tight, my stomach is in knots, you really know how to pull the reader into the emotions of the characters.

It is going to take me a while to digest all of it because I have a lot of feelings for the whole story. Here is a run-down of my thoughts: glad that Jason knows, mad that he tells her he wants her now, not liking his lack of respect for marriage, happy that he was upset about the baby, feeling sorry for Kayla that she is so clueless, happy that Ella isn't jumping back into his arms, mad that Ella is going to drag poor Drew into it, excited to look forward to what will happen next.

One thing I have realized is that because Jason is a soldier, I don't feel comfortable criticizing him, even though I don't like a lot of his behavior. I have so much respect and support for anyone that is serving over in Iraq and Afghanistan, any time I try to be critical, I feel guilty. Does anyone else feel that way with Jason?

 

I seriously love the range of emotions you all are displaying, it's awesome to hear everyone's take on it. To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of struggling with the story lately. I had written so far ahead, that I haven't had to write anything new in awhile, and I think I kind of fell out of rhythm, so it's all kind of a surprise to me where things are going right now.

 

Wow! Like a few others on here I just started reading on Friday and got sucked in! My entire weekend was spent reading this blog, and I must say it is AWESOME! Laura, you are a wonderful writer and story teller, and have developed these characters wonderfully! I can't wait for the next post!