FB: Right now she's probably saying "I'm drunk" and he's thinking that he's gonna get lucky

Nick and Toni cleared out of the living room shortly after, heading upstairs to take a nap together. I was left alone, and laid down on the comfortable couch to watch TV. I must not have realized exactly how tired I was, because before I knew it, I was gently shook awake.

“Hey Drewbie, when’d you get here?” I asked, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.


“Just now. You left your bag at the airport. I grabbed it for you. I figured you might need it to get ready for tonight.” He gently lifted my feet, taking extra care with my casted ankle, and sliding underneath and setting them back down on my lap.

“Got the cast, eh?” He knocked on it carefully. “How’s it feel?”

“Good. I mean it’s not comfortable, but I feel better with it being on.”

He reached onto the coffee table where there was a cup of pens. He pulled out a few sharpies.

“May I?” He asked, poised over my cast.

“Be my guest.” I answered, laughing. I knew Drew was a horrible artist, so I wasn’t sure what he’d come up with, but I also knew that my kids would want to sign my cast when I got back to work. The less space for them to argue over, the better. I was willing to let anyone take up room.

I closed my eyes to get in another cat nap as Drew… Well, Drew drew. I had dozed slightly when Drew interrupted with a resounding “Tah-dah!”

I had to laugh. Drew had crudely turned half of my cast into a high-top sneaker.

“Nice, Drew, thanks.”

“Thought it needed a little sprucing up.” Drew said, smiling.

“Will you be bringing a date to the party tonight?” I asked. “I never did ever ask what happened to Holly…”

“Molly.” He corrected quickly.

“Molly.” I repeated.

“We didn’t work.” He said just as quickly. Talking about his romantic life clearly made him uncomfortable, but I pressed on.

“Why not?”

“I don’t know Ella. She’s just, a little clingy. She wanted a relationship, I didn’t.”

“You know Drew, you’ve never had a relationship… I mean, if you were, like… Gay. I’d be totally OK with that.” I treaded lightly, not wanting to step on any toes.
Drew laughed out loud.

“Ella, I’m not gay.” He said, still smiling and shaking his head.

“Drew, I’d be fine with it if you were.” I said sincerely.

“I know, and if I was, I’d be fine with it too. But, I’m not.” He shrugged.

“I just don’t get it. Why no girlfriend then?” I asked, slapping his hand away, he was trying to tickle my toes.

Again, he shrugged. “There just hasn’t been anyone around who’s been worth it.”

“Gee thanks.” I said, pulling my legs off his lap and swinging to a sitting position. The pain meds they have given me at the hospital were started to wear off, and I could feel my ankle throb from the manipulation they had put it through today while casting it.

“Ella.” He said, his face softening. “I didn’t mean you. You don’t count.”

“I know Drewbie, I was just teasing. I just. Would like to see you with a girlfriend.”

“Why?” He asked, sounding a little defensive.

Now it was my turn to shrug. “I dunno. Just wanna see you happy.”

“I AM happy, El. I don’t need a girlfriend to be happy.”

“I know, but you deserve someone.”

“Yeah, well. When I come across someone who’s worthy…” He joked. I smacked him with a pillow.


We spent the rest of the evening getting ready. I had yet to shower in my cast, so that was an interesting experience, as was trying to shave with it on. I ended up covering it with some saran wrap and a couple of plastic bags, taping it off with some duct tape Nick gave me. I knew I missed some spots near the edge of the plastic while shaving, but I’m fairly confident that when I ripped the tape off, that took care of it. I wanted to look really good, for Jacob, a little for Jason, and to really rub it in Michelle’s face. I emerged from the bathroom wrapped in a towel and tried to make it to the bedroom as quickly as I could. It turns out, trying to hold up a towel while “walking” on crutches is pretty much impossible. I ended up dropping the towel halfway to the room. Luckily the boys were watching TV downstairs, and Toni was starting dinner

I looked through my bag that Drew had brought up, and eyed my strappy wedge sandals sadly. I would look stupid wearing just one, not to mention it was probably a little dangerous, and my good foot would be killing me by the end of the night. I shoved them to the side. Underneath were a pair of plain black flip flops that I had brought for the pool. They had also gone unused. I sighed, and pulled them out and set them on the floor. I pulled out my dress. It was a turquoise halter top maxi dress. The bottom half was a silky material with swirling greens and blues. I thought the turquoise brought out some of the green in my eyes, and again, I thought I looked fabulous in a halter top. The halter was cut low and tight over my chest, and then flowed out, a lot like my prom dress, hiding any trouble areas. And it hid my cast well. I only wished that I didn’t have to hobble around on crutches.
I pulled out my strapless bra, and again sighed. If Jacob and I did do the deed tonight, it was not my sexiest bra. I think it’s hard to make a sexy strapless bra, but this one was plain, and in an ugly brown color. It was the only strapless I owned though, and I knew I couldn’t go bra-less, especially in case something happened and my dress came undone. I made up for it with a silky black thong. Thong’s weren’t really my thing, boy shorts were, but I could suffer through it for a night. I slipped the halter over my head, relishing the feel of the silky material over my body. I pulled the front of my hair back into a half pony-tail, leaving the rest hanging down. I opted to let it air dry, hoping it would curl a little. Again, I went basic on the makeup, just a little to accentuate my eyes. Then I slipped on one flip-flop and headed down the stairs.


Toni had made a basic dinner of grilled chicken and vegetables. We ate quietly on the back deck, with Drew and Nick talking about the plans for the house, and Toni and I discussing babies. (We had let Drew in on the secret, Toni and Nick knew that I told him everything anyway, and Nick argued that since a girl knew, he should be allowed to have a boy who knew too.) The boys were drinking a few beers. I wasn’t going to be drinking, I didn’t think it was smart to get drunk and then need to walk around on crutches, and Toni couldn’t drink, so we decided we’d use her as a designated driver, and then she had an valid reason for not drinking.


I had butterflies walking into Sean’s parents house. Jason’s parents had wanted to host the party at their house, but the addition of Jacob’s friends and family had pushed them over capacity. Sean’s farmhouse was the perfect spot. His parents had also recently redecorated the barn to turn it into a more functional area. It was mainly used as a spacious place for the grandkids to play, but they had pushed all the toys to the side and set up tables and chairs, and had even brought down a few of the dusty couches from the loft.

I was actually a little nervous about seeing Jen and Sean, I hadn’t really seen them since the last party debacle. As much as I didn’t like Jen, I had hoped that they had worked their issues out. They were young, and under a lot of stress, but I knew deep down they both did love each other.

We had come a little early to help set up, but everything was pretty much already being handled. I ended up getting banished to one of the sofas in the barn. I felt bad about not being able to do anything, but I couldn’t really lift or carry anything, and I was pretty much in the way wherever I stood.

I was sitting on the couch, sipping a coke, when I felt warm hands slip over my eyes.
“Guess who?” Jacob breathed into my ear.

“Ummm… Well. Girlie hands, so… Toni?” I joked.

Jacob slipped his hands down to my neck and acted like he was going to choke me.
“I’ll show you girlie hands!” He joked. Instead, he wrapped his arms around me from behind and kissed the top of my head.

“Hi.” I said, looking up at him.

“Hi.” He answered, smiling. “I missed you.”

I laughed. “I was gone for like, four hours!”

“Too long.” He said, sliding on the couch next to me.

I had expected Jacob to leave me at some point and go hang out with his friends. After all, half the people here had come to see him, and most of them had driven at least an hour to do so, and I knew most of the people here anyway, so it’s not like he would be abandoning me. But, he stuck by my side, his arm slung around me almost the whole time.

He was a gentleman though, and any time I needed anything, he insisted on getting it for me. When they set out the food, he brought us both back a plate, when my drink empty, he refilled it. He could not, however, empty my bladder for me, so I did have to leave him alone to do that.

It was on my way to the bathroom that I bumped into Michelle. I had almost forgotten about her, we hadn’t seen her all night. Jacob hadn’t made any mention of her either. I had figured she had just decided to sit this one out, but I should have known that that wouldn’t have happened.

I almost walked right by them, they were up against the house, partially hidden by the shadows. She was wearing a skirt that was too short and a top that cut too low, and she was standing way too close to Sean, giggling and touching him at least four times in the brief second I spotted them. I sighed, I wanted to walk right by them and ignore it. After all, Sean wasn’t my husband, and Jen wasn’t my friend. I did, however, know how much trouble Sean would be in if Jen caught him, and she may blow up and ruin the party. Besides, as big of a bitch as Jen could be, I still didn’t think she deserved to be cheated on, and it honestly looked like Sean wasn’t that far away from it.

I walked up to them, neither of them noticing, and cleared my throat. Sean jumped, and Michelle turned around, her eyes narrowed at the interruption.
“Sorry Sean.” I said, plastering on a fake smile. “I haven’t seen you all night! How are you kids doing? And I didn’t see your wife, is she here?”

10 comments:

Liked how the post ended. I really can't stand Michelle.

 

Michelle may not have known that the guy she was talking to was married... or she could just be a skank. Either way I would have done EXACTLY the same thing as Ella.

 

Good post! I have to agree with Anonymous, Michelle may not have known that Sean was married, but more than likely, she did know. I think Ella did the right thing.

 

I don't know... While I DO think Ella did the right thing, after the last post, it kind of annoys me a bit. Even though that's probably silly since the last post was in the future and whatnot, but still. It bugged me =P

Still, great post as usual! LOVE Jacob <3

 

Loving the post...again. And totally did an 'Atta girl!' when Bella interrupted Michelle and Sean...what a sleaze!

 

Thanks for posting those links on the side of the blog i LOVE passive agressive notes. You girls should check it out.

 

Love the blog as always.

Was just listening to this song when I checked out your blog, lol.

 

HAHA, way to go Ella, yea that is what i hope i'd have the guts to do.
great as usual!

 

Good for Ella. Like how she handled that, no accusations but making it clear Sean is Married. in case Michelle didn't know.

 

I like what Ella did, at least Michelle knows he's married if she didn't already know. Hopefully she didn't. Love this post!