It's like taking a guess when the only answer is yes

*please check out the post below!*


I threw myself into work that day, I needed a distraction and so I made sure to really tackle things. When the kids got there, I could have just given them some half assed assignment and vegged, I was certainly tired enough to do so. However, I knew if I wasn’t occupied, my mind would wander, to Jason, to what I should tell him, or anything, to Matt and what was going on with him and us, and if I would ever figure out what was happening with him and Kellie or if I even wanted to know.

So I pulled out a complicated art project. I knew it would probably make me late to meet Greg, with all the clean up that was required, but I also knew my kids would need help every step of the way, keeping me busy the whole time. I did notice that Matt stopped by the room on the way outside with his kids, pausing and watching me with a curious look on his face. Normally I would have gone out to joke with him, or even invited his kids to join mine, but with things the way they were I just left it alone. I turned my back to him to help one of the kids with a step, and when I turned back around he was gone.

After the kids left, I was left with the mess. They were supposed to help clean up, but if I kept them too late, they would miss the van to ride home, which meant that I would have to take them home. I also found that it was actually a lot less of a hassle to clean up by myself than to get “help” from the kids. This art project had required the use of some beads, which I normally tried to ban from my room. Glitter was one thing that we NEVER used (someone once told me that glitter was the herpes of the craft world, and they were right!) But beads made an appearance from time to time. They always went everywhere, and sweeping them up was near impossible, it just spread them around even more. I found the only way to really clean them up, was to get on my hands and knees, push them into a pile, and scoop them up by hand.

I was halfway under the table, on my hands and knees, when someone grabbed my from behind. I jumped, screamed and whacked my head on the underside of the table.
I heard a chuckle behind me. I was scared for a moment. I didn’t work in the best area, and while we tried to keep all the doors covered so we knew who came in and out, when the kids left it was a hectic time. Anyone could have slipped in off the street. I backed out carefully, trying to think of what would have been close by to use as a weapon.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Greg! What are you doing here? I thought we were going to meet at the restaurant?” I said, slightly irritated, but relieved it was just him. I rubbed my head, feeling a knot already popping up.

“I know, but you talk about this place like it’s heaven, I wanted to check it out for myself. My school is actually in the neighborhood, so… Is your head OK? I really didn’t mean to scare you.” He walked up to me, and I sat back on the table, he put his hands on my head and gently pulled it down to take a look.

“No blood, that’s good, but you do have a bump. You feel dizzy or anything?” He asked, rubbing my head carefully.

“No, I think I’ll live.” I said, smiling. It was always nice when someone was concerned.

He kissed my head and let my head go.

“How was your day?” He asked, placing his hands on either side of me. I put my hands on his side and pulled him closer, wrapping my arms around him and hugging him tight.

“It’s been one of those days.” I said, holding on to him.

He rubbed my back. “Sorry to hear that.”

“It’s OK. It’ll get better. How was yours?”

“Good. I like this new gig. Drama class, it kinda fits.” He said, pulling back and taking my hand, pulling me down off the table. “You ready to blow this popsicle stand?”

I surveyed the room. I knew there were still beads on the floor, but for the most part, it looked OK. I may get yelled the next day for not thoroughly cleaning my room, but I really didn’t care anymore.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

We headed to Red Robin. It was a bit too loud for my tastes, but I did like people watching, spying on kids and families, and the food was always good.

Greg dominated the conversation, telling me about his new school and new class, and how the kids were actually giving him some new material for his act. He loved the fact that he was actually encouraged to perform for the kids as well. He said it was getting paid to practice. He seemed so excited about it, it brought my mood up, and I liked the fact that he didn’t expect me to talk much. What was I going to tell him? My best friend who was married and I had almost had a baby with recently admitted that he was still in love with me, and my roommate may or may not have feelings for me as well? That’s really all I had to talk about, and I knew it probably wouldn’t go over well.

We finished dinner, but I wasn’t quite ready to go home yet. Being with Greg was the first time in two days that I really felt like I could breathe, and I wasn’t ready to go suffocate in a tension filled house. I wanted to invite Greg back to see if he wanted to watch a movie at my house, I thought a little cuddling under a blanket would be nice, but I didn’t know if Matt was home yet, and I didn’t know how awkward it would be. I think Greg sensed my hesitation after the check came.

“You maybe want to go walk around Wal-mart? Kill some time?” He asked as the waitress brought back his card.

“Sure.”

I loved wandering Wal-mart aimlessly. You were always sure to find something random. I picked up a couple of things for my kids, as well as a new shirt for me. While digging through the five dollar DVD bin, we stumbled across the movie Batteries Not Included.

“Man, this movie is AWESOME!” Greg exclaimed.

“Totally one of my favorite movies of all time.” I agreed.

“Wanna come back and watch it at my place?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

I laughed. “Why Mr. Dangers, I’m not that kinda girl.” I joked back.

“I know, but c’mon, this movie is awesome.” He said, wiggling the movie in front of my face.

“It’s late Greg…” I trailed off. I did want to go, really badly, but I wasn’t sure if I should.

“We’ll get some caramel apples, some popcorn, some drinks… I’ll give you one of my tee-shirts to sleep in, you can spend the night and either go home early and change, or wear your new shirt tomorrow.”

I laughed again. “Greg I just told you I’m not like that!” I said, slapping him on the arm.

“I know,” he laughed too. “I didn’t mean it like that. I’ll even sleep on the couch. This is just a really awesome movie, but if I watch it alone that’ll make me really lame.”

“Why’s that?” I asked.

“Because, Ella.” He sighed over-dramatically. “Everyone knows a full grown man can’t watch a Disney movie by himself!”

I laughed. “OK, OK, you did say caramel apples, right?”


Greg bought some snack food, pop corn, the caramel apples, and some little boxes of candy. I bought our drinks. I wasn’t sure if I should call and tell Matt that I wasn’t coming home or not. I didn’t want it to seem like I was asking for his permission to stay out, or like I was trying to rub it in his face, but I also didn’t want him to worry, and I needed him to see if he could get a ride to work in the morning, so I could just leave from Greg’s. Eventually I sided with texting him. He texted me back pretty quickly:
Matt: Ed was over watching man-movies. He said he’d stay and give me a ride tomorrow.

I laughed and texted back: Man movies? Please, keep it off my couch!
I was a little taken back when I didn’t get a text back from him, but shrugged it off.


Greg’s apartment was actually just a studio. He had one of those beds that folded up into the wall!

“I didn’t know these things really existed!” I exclaimed when he pulled it down.

“Yeah, that was actually one of the selling points of this place, and I’m not even kidding! I could afford a bigger place, but what’s the point? I don’t really need the room, and it’s a lot cheaper this way, which makes a lot of sense since I’m never here in the summer.”

“Yeah. I mean, I honestly wouldn’t have as big of a place as I do if my parent’s hadn’t gotten it for me.”

He went to the kitchen, which was divided from the living room/bedroom by a counter. I watched him pour our drinks into glasses with ice, pop some popcorn, and cut up some caramel apples and plate them. He brought everything into the room, setting them down on top of his dresser. He rummaged through his dresser, handing me a tee shirt and a pair of his sweatpants.

“It might be a little big, but it’ll probably be more comfortable.” He said, tossing them to me. “Bathroom’s right over there.” He said, pointing to a door that I had originally assumed was a closet. I changed quickly, and snuggled in next to Greg, who had made himself comfortable on the bed. He hit play on the DVD remote, and we started munching on various things.

Somewhere towards the end of the movie, I felt his eyes on me. My head had been resting on his chest, his arm tucked around me. I looked up, and knew instantly, this was it. It was a slow motion movie moment, his face came closer to mine, my eyes closed on their own, and finally, his lips were on mine.

We kissed for awhile, until the movie ended and the screen went blue. Finally, he pulled away, once again kissing my forehead.

“Thanks for coming over.” He said, reaching for the remote and shutting off the TV.

“Thanks for asking me.” I answered, adjusting myself so I was comfortable.
Greg laid down next to me, comfortably draping one arm across me. In no time, I fell asleep, and had one of the most restful night’s sleep that I had had in a long time.

Greg and I woke at the same time the next day, dressing quickly and making it out the door in time to have a quick breakfast at the Tim Horton’s around the corner. He kissed me goodbye at my car, and wished me a good day. I went into work with a huge smile on my face.

I sat down in my office, sipping on my orange juice and humming to myself. My happiness was short lived, however, when I opened my email and saw that I had a new email from Kayla.

11 comments:

Wow! you have a Tim Hortons there! I thought they were only in Canada, we have 5 in our small town! yes we love them that much!
Love this post, thanks Laura, and i did check out the one below,it was hard to read. but thanks for making us aware.

 

That kiss was so worth the wait! Loved it! mum

 

Augh. Kayla. What a buzz-kill. Honestly, I was smiling and humming a happy little tune right along with our heroine :-) and then ... sigh.

 

Again, I love this blog! I'm hoping to see Ella and Drew together, though.

 

I agree...kayla is such a buzz kill, but i can't wait to find out what the email said.

Alicia

 

Nooooo..... Not Greg. Drew or Matt, even Jason I feel the excitement. But not with Greg. NO NO NO I don't want greg!

*Stomping my feet and crossing my arms*

(okay done with my temper tantrum, hehe)

 

Love the temper tantrum Anon. I agree I think the chemistry is not there with Greg, glad they only slept together and not "slept together" lol. I wonder what Kayla wants, watch Jason told her he was in love with Ella!!

 

Thanks Laura B. I have 3 kids. They rub off on me sometime =oP

I just am honestly not invested in the greg character. I feel everything in a story when it is this good. I love Drew, Matt is fun, Jacob is a sweetheart ( and I picture him just adorable like Taylor Lautner, lol), I could even see why ella loves Jason, but Greg, he falls flat to me.

 

yeah i agree with the above. greg just doesnt do it for me. i would rather see her with matt. :)
-sheena

 

While I agree it's time for Ella to move on...
I just don't think her or Jason will be completely happy unless they are together. It might not be the best of circumstances/timing, but it is what it is.
HOWEVER, I do think Drew is a sweetheart and deserves a chance with Ella.

 

OMG! Tim Horton's! I had to tell my sis-in-law about the mention (she's a corporate head for T-H in our region - NY!) As to the blog...sooo need Ella to back away from Greg! Come on Drew! :-)