You're neither friend nor foe, but I can't seem to let you go

Drew didn’t say anything, so I pressed on with my story, telling him what was said, and how I was so over Jason and his merry-go-round. He cut me off a few minutes after I started.

“I’m sorry Ella. I told you to call me when you were over this whole Jason thing, and it doesn’t sound like you are.”

“I AM over it Drew, I just don’t know what to do anymore…” I was whining.
“No, you’re not over it Ella. You say you are, you said you’re tired of going back into the past and re-hashing this over and over again, but then, why are you letting him do it? Why do you care? He’s married Ella. You may not have been at the wedding, but I can assure you, they are, in fact, legally married.”

“I KNOW that Drew, it’s just, he’s my best friend.”

Drew’s laugh caught me off guard, and suddenly I felt very hurt. Was he making fun of me? Was he turning this whole thing into a joke?

“I’m sorry Ella, did you honestly say he’s your best friend?”

“You know he is Drew.”

“No, Ella. He’s not, and I don’t know if you can even really call him a friend anymore.”

“How can you say that? I’ve known him forever!” I shouted back. I wanted desperately to go into the house, and the dogs were whining at the back door, wanting to go in too, but I didn’t want to risk Matt overhearing our conversation.

“I’ve known him longer than you, and I don’t know if I really consider him a friend anymore. Ella, when are you going to wake up and realize that Jason is 100%, grade ‘A’ jackass? He’s not who he used to be. You keep waiting for that guy to come back, and he’s not going too. He’s gone. A real friend would never put you in half the positions that he has, and a real man would NEVER admit that he chose wrong, at least while he was STILL married! And, they’ve been married all of what, two months? Do you think he’s honestly given it a try at all?” He took a deep breath.

“Besides, Ella. If he’s really your best friend, how come it’s me you’re always coming to when he hurts you? Which, even you have to admit is pretty often. How come when you have good news, I’m always the one you call, or bad news, or any news? When’s the last time you even had a serious conversation about something other than the two of you?”

“Why can’t I have two best friends Drew?” I said, feeling chastised.

“You can Ella, when both of those people are really your friend. But it feels… Cheap, to have to share that title with someone like him. I’m putting in all this work, and still, I always come up even with someone who does nothing but cause trouble in your life. I do one thing wrong in how many years of friendship, and I get cut off totally, and you finally break down and call me, why? Because of him. He screws you over, over and over again. He cuts you off, walks away, leaves you alone, and no questions asked, he’s allowed back in your life. And to be perfectly honest Ella, you’re not much of a friend either.”

I took a sharp breath in. It physically hurt to hear him say that.

“Well, El. When’s the last time you asked me what was going on in my life? Do you think you’re the only one who has problems? When’s the last time you called Toni to see how the kids were, or Sean to see how his kids are? When is honestly the last time you thought about anyone but yourself?”

“I think about other people all the time…” I started weakly.

“Maybe you THINK about other people, but you don’t show it.”

“I’m sorry.”

He sighed. “Look. I know it’s hard. I know you and Jason have been through a lot. But when’s it going to be time to just give up and walk away?”

I didn’t say anything. I knew he was right, but Jason had been a part of my life for so long. I just couldn’t imagine how he would be without him. I decided to change the subject.

“How’s your life been lately? I missed you.”

“It’s been OK. My parents are getting divorced.”

“What?” I was shocked. It’s not that Drew’s parents were in love and I could never see them separating… It’s just that they were so… Monotone. They were sad, but they were sad together, and I just couldn’t see them putting in the effort to separate.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.” Drew didn’t sound upset or happy about it.

“Well, how’d that come about? I mean, what happened?”

“I don’t know. I mean I think Dad was just as surprised as I was. From what he and Mom told me, it sounds like she just woke up one day and got tired of being sad. I mean I don’t really understand why she couldn’t try being happy with Dad. I think he just reminds her of the twins, and she’s just tired of missing them.”

“Do you ever think about them?” I figured it was safe to head inside now, and so I got up and started walking towards the back door.

He was quiet for a moment, and I knew he was thinking about them now.

“Honestly? Not really. I used to think about them a lot when I was younger. Wondering what it would have been like not to be an only child. I’d imagine them when I got bored and wanted someone to play with. But, at this point, the majority of my life has been without them.”

“I’m sorry.” I was at a loss of what to say. I wasn’t good at handing out condolences, I always felt like they sounded fake.

“Don’t be. I mean, maybe they can’t be together, maybe they’ll be happier when they’re apart. That’s what I’m hoping at least.”

I had meant I was sorry for Drew’s loss, not his parent’s divorce. But, that was typical Drew, I realized, always thinking about other people, and not himself.

“Well, I’m sorry about everything else, too. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“I know Ella. And I didn’t mean to hurt you either. But, I think you do need to rearrange some things in your life. I can’t deal with anymore Jason drama, and I don’t think you can either. It’s also not fair to Kayla, do you think she knows any of this is going on?”

“I don’t know.” Kayla and I had had a rough past, but she and I had gotten closer. She didn’t deserve this.

“I doubt that she does.”

Those words hung in the air between us for a few minutes, neither of us knowing what to say next.

“Look, work’s really stressful, but, I think I need a break. I was thinking a road trip? Do you mind if I come visit? It’s been awhile since I’ve seen Toni, Nick, and the kids.”

“I’d like that.”

“Well, I better go, but, I’ll call you tomorrow, and we can hammer out the details, OK?”

“Deal. Later gator.”

“Bye Drewbie.”

I let the dogs into the house and followed after them. The conversations had left me drained, I wanted a snack, I wanted warm PJ’s, and I wanted my bed. I gave the dogs a treat for hanging in there with me, and grabbed some leftover chicken from a few days ago, not bothering to heat it up, as well as a bottled water. I passed by Matt’s room on the way to my own. His door was open a crack, and I could hear him on the phone.

“I’ve been gone all day Kellie! I wasn’t ignoring you!” His tone was clipped and forced, and I quickly moved on, not wanting to eavesdrop, and not needing any more drama to fall into my lap.


I ate my chicken, drank my water, turned off my cell phone, and tried to shut off my brain and my thoughts. I tossed and turned for at least a hour, and fell into a fitful sleep. I woke up the next morning earlier than usually, not feeling rested at all.

I took my shower and came and sat back on my bed to turn on my cell phone. To my relief, there was nothing from Jason, but I did have a text from Greg:
Greg: Early dinner tonight?

I sighed. I wasn’t sure I was in the mood for company, but I also didn’t want to sit at home and dwell on Jason either. I texted back to ask him the time and location, and picked some comfortable clothes to dress in.

Matt met me in the kitchen a little while later, nodding a good morning. He had bags and circles under his eyes that matched my own. I wasn’t sure if he wanted me to ask about it or not. I knew he probably had fought with Kellie, and anytime before when I questioned him about her, he shut down, so I decided once again to leave it alone.

Breakfast was much like dinner the night before. Neither one of us felt like talking, so instead I listened to him sip on his coffee and crunch on his cereal. Finally I broke the silence.

“I’m meeting Greg after work for dinner. Do you think you can get a ride home?”

He nodded, swallowing. “Ed and I were actually going to hang out for a bit tonight. I need to blow off some steam, I think we may go work out or something.”

“Oooh, sounds like a great time, sorry I’m going to miss it.”

Matt smirked back at me sarcastically, walking his bowl and mug over to the sink.

“I, uh. Think I’m going to head home this weekend. Kellie’s going to come pick me up from work on Friday, so. You’ll have the house to yourself.”

“Oh. That’ll be fun. I actually think I’m leaving too. Going to visit a friend.”

“Well… Have fun.”

“Yeah, you too…” I trailed off.


We both got our stuff together and headed to the car. It was cold this morning, our breath hanging in the air. We didn’t talk the whole ride there, and Matt exited the car without a goodbye. I sat at the steering wheel for a minute, pretending to be looking for something in my console, but really I just wanted to give him time to get into the building without me. I was a little bummed that our friendship had grown so awkward so fast. I didn’t know what I had done, or why he and Kellie were fighting, and I didn’t particularly want to find out. I had always liked having guy friends because they were so easy to deal with, but now I was left wondering again where exactly had everything gotten so complicated.

18 comments:

Once again I just Love Drew. He may have been a little harsh with Ella, but she needed to hear it. And Matt I think is just tired of being with Kellie, and he has the hots for Ella which is probably causing him alot of stress.

 

Hey! This post was really good. I'm glad that Drew finally said something to Ella about the fact that Jason is a complete d-bag. I don't think it's fair for him to be classified as a tied best friend when clearly he's better for Ella than Jason ever was. It sucks that Matt isn't being more...happy. I dunno how else to put it but I've definately been in that situation where I have a new guy friend and then it gets awkward out of no where. I think that if he takes a break from Kellie then he'll let Ella in a little more, because their relationship is clearly not doing so well. But again, great post and I can't wait til the next one.

 

Great post. Also I'm with Laura B I love Drew and think that Ella needed to hear the things he was saying.

 

I absolutely love your blog! I hope Ella opens her eyes and realizes what a great guy Drew is!

I know this is off subject, but I also have a blog, if you guys wanna check it out.

 

LOL S-can you post a link? so we can check it out, TIA

Love this post, Love this Post oh and in case i didn't mention LOVE THIS POST!!
Drew so needed to say those things and from what we "know" of drew i bet it was harder to say then for Ella to hear. I am glad she is going out to see them. And Ella is a bit self centered it is easy to do when so much stress is going on. I know i do it all the time and have to mentally say "stop and ask how so-and-so is" maybe it is a female, multi thinking thing, idk:)
Thanks again Laura, Oh and someone asked how to "support" you, i forget who but here is two ways:
1. swagabucks-totally rocks btw, just sign up on her bar and up to the first 100 "bucks" you get she does too
2. click on the ads, but that takes forever
and can someone correct me if i was/am wrong about the two above, thanks!

 

Sorry Jen. I didn't even think about that. Try this: http://macynmcintyre.blogspot.com/

Again, I absolutely love Nothing More Than Apathy!!!!!!!

 

Thanks for the link!!!

 

Thanks for the link!!!

 

I LOVE this blog and this post was great! I love Drew, he said everything Ella needed to hear but probably didn't really hear. She was thinking and acting defensively the entire conversation and what Drew actually said will probably take awhile to really sink in. People like Jason are hard to let go of and never really fade away even when you have let go but hopefully she will take the step to go that way. Perhaps by the time she does fully let Jason go she will realize what Drew really means to her. I think between Matt and his drama and Ella and hers the awkwardness may be more based on them being off in their own worlds instead of actual awkwardness. CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT :)

 

Drew! Drew! He's our hero! If he can't do it nobody can! Lol. Drew is absolutely amazing and sooooo RIGHT! I just hope that Ella opens her eyes and realizes it soon. Bye, Bye Jason!

 

I just thought of something, Ella was seriously considering being a surrogate for Jason and Whats her name. I so hope Drew talks her out of that idea. And hopefully Jason will withdraw his request since he now knows about the baby Ella lost.

 

Oh and S I'll be sure to check out your blog.

 

OKay, I must be the only person that doesn't hate Jason. Yeah, he has done some screwed up stuff and totally isn't being fair to Ella, or especially Kayla. But, I always remember the post that was to show us what kind of guy he was- the one about prom. I still am rooting for her and Drew or Greg, but I don't despise Jason like everyone else. If she gets with Drew, or even Matt, then I feel a little bad for Greg. I can't decide who I Want her to be with!!

 

I've been thinking with starting a section in the main page containing links to other blogs. It'd be on the side of the page. I don't mind people posting them in the comments or anything, I just know for me personally, sometimes I can't start reading them at that very moment, and it's a pain to have to go back and hunt for the link. So, if you guys think this is a good idea, let me know, and if I do it and you have a link you want up, just email me. I wish I could figure out how to do a rating system on it, which ones everyone likes, they don't like. As I've said before, I'm just not that technically savvy.

As far as "supporting" me, swagbucks is a GREAT way to do it, and it's not a bad deal for you, either. It's a search engine, so if you use google a lot or any other search engine (like I do)You don't get spam, you just sign up, search, and occasionally win "bucks". You can save these bucks and trade them in at the swag store for various things. I've been using mine to get Amazon giftcards (I have 2 five dollar ones) and I got a 25 dollar one to restaurant.com, which we used part of it last night. Some of the giftcards have exceptions (you can't use certain ones together, you have to buy so much, ect.) And they only send them out twice a month I think (and they're all online with the exception of that starbucks card, which gets mailed to you.) But, I still think it's not a bad deal, getting "paid" in a way to do something I'm already going to do. If you have any questions, feel free to email me about it. Also, don't sign up if you're not planning on searching! Signing up unfortunately doesn't get me any bucks, I just win what you win (up to 100 bucks, like Jen said) So if you sign up and don't search, it doesn't really do anything for me.

Thanks again guys!

 

Laura, that would be nice to have the links off to the side so we can read them when we can. I know I have told you guys about one and I just want to say that we is getting a little more racy with his in-between post than he was when I first started reading. He is a great writer and I personally am not offended by what he is posting but wanted to give some of you a heads up. The first story I read of his was It Occured To Me and it was good but I do think I like The Strange Story of Mr and Mrs. Black better. Anyway just wanted to let you all know in case you do check him out.

And just in case you do not know it yet Laura....your story is WONDERFUL!!!!! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

 

Hi Laura,
Love the idea of the links on the side. I hate bookmarking them only to lose them with my millions of bookmarks. Yes i have a ton! LOL
TIA!

 

Love love love Drew. He is such a good friend. I just can't wait for ella to see what is right in front of her. And if it takes any longer or any more go rounds with Jason I won't feel bad if she realizes too late because Drew has moved on and found happiness he deserves.

Off Topic: I think I am done with 15 miles. I figured I loved the story and would continue supporting her because I didn't want to believe that the author is not just looking for praise all the time. But I posted a comment yesterday nothing bad just saying that it had been so long that I felt disconnected with the characters and maybe I needed to go read from the beginning again. well my comment still is not posted. I guess since I didn't kiss her A%# the comment was disregarded even though it was perfectly innocent. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sorry rant over.

 

Hey Laura, I have only just found your blog and I love, love, love it.
Your characters feel real and refreshing, and more than that you are too!
I love that you are willing to have discussion on your blog without censor, that you are mature and positive. It really comes through in your blog, and the way you treat your readers.
Thank you so much for the good read! :)