Whatever Wednesday: Thinking ahead

So. Halloween is almost here, and over with. My mind is already on Christmas.

People think I'm nuts, but I'm the type of person who likes to have things over with. It's funny because I'm one of the least organized people I know, but that doesn't mean I'm not a planner. I've already started my Christmas shopping, and I hope to have it all done by the end of November. It'll help that we've told everyone this year that we'd rather focus on my son, therefore not expecting a lot of gifts from others, nor are we buying a lot of gifts for other people. I already have most of my Mom's gift done, my brother's gift is done, and I at least know what I'm getting everyone else. I've ordered and gotten my Christmas cards, and I made my son a stocking out of some of his old baby clothes... I am on it.

But, once again, for one of the presents I need your guys help. One of my friends just bought her first house, and will hopefully be engaged by the end of this year. She's been in a really domestic mood, and has really gotten into cooking, baking, and making things. I wanted to make her a little cook book, I guess I would say. I'm going to put in some of our family favorite recipes, and I was wondering if you guys had any? Also, any crafty things, like she's been into making her own candles and stuff, so. I was planning on going back into the 15 miles blog, because I know she posted some neat crafty things.

If anyone would also like me to forward them the recipes when I get them, let me know. It would probably be easiest to email them to me (nothingmorethanlaura@gmail.com), instead of leaving them in the comments, but I would REALLY appreciate any recipes. I know you guys have 'em!

I have to mention swagbucks again. If you haven't joined, you should. If you want to know what it's about, or get my referral link, either email me or check the last whatever Wednesday. I really REALLY appreciate all the people who joined last time, I got like, 20 swagbucks over night, which is a super big help with Holiday shopping as well. But I have to remind you again, I don't get anything just for you signing up (it sucks, I know). You actually have to use swagbucks in order for me to get anything, so if you aren't going to use it, I wouldn't sign up. But, I just got my 4th 5 dollar amazon card, soooo I would say swagbucks is worth it! (My giftcards are going towards Christmas shopping, nice way to save some money!)

Also, I didn't get too many blog suggestions, so I wanted to remind you guys, if you want your blog, or a blog you love to read, up on the side links, just email me the link. Also let me know the blog title, and if it's fiction or non fiction. I've gotten a few people who have emailed me blogs, but I wanted to remind you guys, any blog is fair game (but also, click links at your own risk, because I don't always read all of them, and can't tell you the content!)

We've been really busy with fall activities, as I mentioned in the last blog. I'm ready for Halloween to be over, we've been running around so much. Last week we did the pumpkin patch, Thursday we hit up the Pumpkin Show, which was a lot of fun (they had these creepy pumpkins with faces in them. I mean like, uncarved. They grew them in a mold, they freaked me out.) And we ate a TON. Pumpkin doughtnuts (they made them fresh for us. I'm not a huge pumpkin fan, but these were SO good), pumpkin sloppy joes (yeah I know, it was gross), apple cider slush... The best were probably the pumpkin buckeyes. Does anywhere else make buckeyes besides Ohio? If not, I'll have to pass on that recipe. So tasty.

Saturday we then went to this program called Boo at the Zoo. Our Zoo sets up trick or treat stations, and they do enrichment activities with the animals (they gave the animals pumpkins this time. I'm not sure if there was anything in them. I know sometimes they stuff objects with treats and the animals have to figure out how to open them.) It was a blustery day, windy, chilly, and we kept getting hit with random rain. It wasn't a great day, I was pretty annoyed. We were supposed to meet some friends there at one. We called them at 1:30 only to find out that not only were they not coming, they hadn't bothered to call to tell us either. I hate when people do that. I don't have a problem with canceling, but it's like, give me as much notice as possible, ya know? It's just rude to me.

Sunday we had a great day. It was supposed to be super busy. We were supposed to go do yard work at my in laws, stop by a birthday party, run by boo at the zoo again (we're members, so it doesn't cost anything to get in, and my Aunt works for Target and was supposed to be handing out candy, so we were going to stop by and see her.) And then go see friends and meet their new baby. Well, my Mother in law called Saturday, she's "sick" (I personally think she's just trying to get attention since my FIL has this heart thing now. I find it funny that he was talking about scheduling his test, and all of a sudden she's "sick". But, she did say the doctor took cultures, so, I wasn't risking bringing the baby around her. Plus, it meant I didn't have to see her, so, score one for me!) My Aunt ended up having to cancel going to boo at the zoo, and our friends had gone to a wedding Saturday night, and got back later than they planned on Sunday, so they canceled too. So, we got to spend more time at the birthday party, which was fun.

So, now on to two scheduling notes I have. My Father in law scheduled his test to see where his blockage is (again, I don't know what it's called. I think they inject him with some dye, and stick a tube up through his groin...) He scheduled it for the 12th. I'm trying to be able to go to the hospital with my husband that day and wait, but it depends if my sister can get off work and watch the baby, as well as a few other things. Anyway, I'm not really sure what's going to happen, I don't know if I'll be able to go, and I don't know what to expect after. They made my Uncle stay there and have surgery asap (well, I dunno if it was after this test, or after the stress test, but after he had one of the tests, they refused to let him go home, and said they needed to do the surgery NOW.) They are moving awfully slow on all of this, so maybe it's not as urgent as my Uncle's situation, I don't know. Basically, you may or may not get a post on the 12th. You may or may not get a post the day after. I'll try to let you know what's going on as soon as I know.

Secondly, I try to post when I first get up in the morning, while my son's eating breakfast. However, that may start being later morningish. My son has reverted back to his newborn sleep patterns, he seriously got up every two hours last night. I don't know what his deal is, but I'm done with it. I don't know if I've mentioned before, my son sucks at sleeping. He slept through the night for the first time at 3 months old. He did it for a few nights, and quit. It was as if he was showing me: I CAN sleep through the night, I just don't WANT too. We tried a lot of the doctors suggestions, and I've tried several books. The thing is, I hate letting him cry it out, because most often, he's hungry at night. The books and the doctors told me to up his calories during the day, feed him more... But the thing about Cayden is, if he's not hungry, he won't eat. So while I would try to give him more bottles during the day (and now, more regular food) if he doesn't want it, I don't care WHAT I put in front of the child (cake, cookies, candy, steak, whatever) he won't eat it.

Anyway, he FINALLY got a little better around nine months, but still really wasn't sleeping ALL the way through the night. He'd get up once, maybe twice, and I could deal, because usually one of those times fell when I was still awake. But Sunday night he was up a bunch, and then last night, no joke, every two hours, if not more. I'm so at the end of my rope, it's not even funny. And even more annoying is I have to listen to my Mom say things like "He'll sleep through the night when he's ready. He's just a baby, blah blah blah." If he does back to waking once or twice a night, whatever, I'll deal. But my 13 month old (which, he turns 13 months today, yay!) should NOT be getting up that much.

So, my point. We may be going back to crying it out. We started doing this when he was 9 months, and it's what helped improve his sleeping. We stopped doing it, and maybe that was our big mistake. Now, no lectures on crying it out. I don't like to do it, and I did try other methods before this. I only tried this after two separate pediatricians told me to do it. I think I mentioned before with babies and advice, different things work for different babies. This is what works for our baby, though I do wish something else worked. I hate doing it. Cayden and I tend to lose a lot of sleep the first couple nights, but he does catch on quickly. My whole point is, because of this, postings may be a little late (as in, later in the mornings.)

And lastly, I've been feeling a little disconnected from the story lately. I've having a few family issues right now, it's nothing major, just a bunch of little annoyances or minor things that keep adding up, so I don't know if I'm stressed or what. Plus, I'm trying to move on to the next big drama, so. I'm not entirely happy with tomorrow's posting, but I also don't know if I'm going to have the time/desire to fix it. I'm hoping that once I'm past this transition, I'll be back to feeling normal, but, if not, I may have to cut down the posting schedule just to kind of focus on other things. It's not a definate change yet, just wanted to let you know that if tomorrow's posting seems like I'm a little off my game, it's because I am.

Alright, that's all that's going on with my life. What about yours? Are you guys getting ready for the holidays?

14 comments:

I didn't plan much for Holloween, so I'm just kind of waiting to take my daughter trick-or-treating and thats it. However, I am super excited about her upcoming birthday and I've already made her invitations! Everyone loved them and said they were super cute. I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff and make it lady-bug ish for the party!
On the downside, I managed to get a cold, so I'm having fun battling that right now. I've been keeping my daughter in her room and bringing her snacks and such in there for her while holding my breath, lol. I don't wanna get her sick! On the plus side of that though, we I did let her out of her room last night to eat dinner and play before bedtime, she was really cuddly and kept hugging me...just makes you feel so wonderful!
As for the recipes, you're going to have to be a bit more descriptive on what kind you want, lol. I love to cook and aside from when my mom makes biscuits and gravy, I'm the only one who does cook is this house, haha. I know all kinds of dinners, breakfasts, lunches, snacks, desserts...some from scratch and some that are "cheat made". Would your friend be interested in just from scratch ones or no? I'll get to work emailing you a few and you can choose for yourself, just expect quite a few emails from me, haha.

 

Oh, and yes, we have buck-eyes here...my step-mom down in alabama has em too! I've never heard of or tried pumpkin ones though, that sounds might tasty!

 

Will forward some of my mom's best recipes including a fantastic mac and cheese that is always requested!

 

I'm pretty much ready for Christmas. I've got my daughter about done. Don't know if she'll be happy, but Avon has an Ipod and a video camera thing, they are specials to purchase with other purchases but as a rep I got them. Still have to pay but... anyhoo I got her those and some stocking stuffers from Avon. Umm I need to get her a Jersey she wants, she's a Steelers fan. Maybe a gift card at her fav clothing store and a couple cheaper things here and there. My son always wants money. And we don't really buy for the families. I'll prob get my MIL something from Avon. And my boss and co worker. My side we don't buy for, we are lucky if we can all get together. Of course my new great nephew I want to get for. and Some great nephew and nieces on my hubby's side and that's it. Sorry you are stressin' and I don't have any suggestions on keeping babies asleep. My son was 2 and went through this stage of waking up in the middle of the night, demanding to watch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tape he had. I obliged him :)Oh I'll send you a recipe

 

I know you said to email you recipies, but I'm not at home right now and I don't remember it. This little message is just to remind myself to email you when I get home :D It's a recipie for my aunt's sugar cookies. My friends and I just made a batch last night, so I'll taste them and email the recipie to you if they turn out delicious.
Anyway, you've got quite a busy life! Sorry you're so stressed, but after the holidays hopefully everything will die down.

 

I saw a great gift along the lines of what you want to do for your friend. At a wedding shower someone made a scrapbook that contained all of their families favorite recipes and tips. By putting it in a scrapbook it was so nicely laid out and a lot more decorative that usual recipe books. Plus you can personalize everything.

 

Laura B- do NOT pay full price for a steelers jersey. I'm a big fan as well. If you know anyone that lives in Pittsburgh have them get you one. My family still lives there and I was able to get an official jersey at 50% off at some of the stores there. They even have steeler outlets. The strip district is the place to go to get knockoffs if she doesn't care if it's official or not

 

I have 5 people left to buy for, including my son. I have a few things for him already (a few clothes, a few toys) but other than that, I have 3 people on Matt's side, and then Matt himself and I'm finished my Christmas shopping. I've had most of it done in August:)

I'm the type of person that refuses to step a foot near a mall in December if I don't absolutely have to.. I'm not that suicidal:)

 

You guys are so amazing. I can't wait till we buy some more ink for our printer, and I can get started. Kristin I love the scrapbook-cookbook idea. I may have to try it.

Sprickle- Everyone here has a cold. It started with me, went to my husband and my Mom and my brother, now my sister has it. So far Cayden only has a runny nose, so. I'm hoping he stays out of it.

Hanna- I'm not really that busy all the time. It's like, months will go by with nothing for me to do, and then BOOM, it all hits at once, in like, a week long period, lol.

And Kbear, I hate shopping in December. We are considering going on Black Friday, if the deals are good. I know a lot of times you can find just as good of deals online so. But this will be the first year I've ever gone in the morning for Black Friday, so we shall see how it goes, if I go.

 

Sooo many places participate in black friday online. I highly recommend Sears for electronics. I got a tv and a gps from there last year and was able to order them on Thanksgiving day at the black friday price. Plus you can have it delivered to the store for free, it saves you a ton of money over shipping to your house. Plus, the pick-up at the store is so easy, you can pull your car up and they'll load it for you.

 

omg i just have to say that you playlist is incredible. i usually have my computer on mute, but today i had it on, and WOW. LOVE it!!

as far as halloween - im not happy with my costume - i have a supergirl costume thats cute and i wore 2 halloweens ago and it cost me $50 so i swore up and down id wear it again and again, but *sigh* 2 years ago i was in college and active and looked cute showing my midriff. now, not so much. we'll see.

i am, HOWEVER, making my boyfriends costume - he wants to be cookie monster. any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated as i started it tonight and holy moly this isn't going so well. :(

 

Ohmygoodness. Black friday is THE worst! For both the shopper and the people who work there!! (I still have nightmares about this really big pile of clothes) I really recommend going online because ALOT of stores participate online :)

I'm really sorry that you're stressed out right now. Have you tried putting some low music on so Cayden can fall asleep?

OH! Halloween is going to be exciting. Going to be a Shanghai chick. Not a huge jump, but :)

I HAVE NOT started gift shopping yet. I should get on that since my midterms are finished (does college ever get BETTER? course-load wise?). I'm having trouble thinking up a gift for my boyfriend. Last year I got him this picture player that ended up being defective and a sweatshirt and a scarf.

Oooooh, the holidays :)

 

Morning! I was quickly skimming because my twins will be awake any minute so if someone already mentioned this I'm sorry! You get a lot of the same prices online on Black Friday that you do in the stores, but some stores do give you a little extra off if you go in. I have 5 kids and I happen to love my sleep so I will sacrifice a little of the percentage and do my shopping online thank you. :) HOWEVER, you can get AMAZING online deals on CYBER MONDAY which is the Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend. I got a super sweet deal on an HP laptop on Cyber Monday last year...tons of free upgrades, too so check out Cyber Monday and if you find something great.

Love the recipe idea! My mom did something similar for me and I use that cookbook more than any one I own...and having a big family I cook a ton. :)

No major plans for halloween....I'm simply hoping I get to take my kids trick or treating...the twins are 3 so it should be fun for them this year, but we are still fighting the flu here. :(

Have a great day everyone!

 

Black Friday is horrible! I work in retail!! People are crazy and greedy. A guy died last year (not at my store) by getting trampled by the crowds!