Teacher's pet

A lot of people asked for more stories about my Mother in law. I have no problem sharing, I like to vent about her (and my poor husband loves it when someone else is on the receiving end of my venting) and I do think a lot of what she does tends to be pretty funny in hindsight.

However, I tend to vent and let it go. I can't really recall a lot of what she's done in the past (her most memorable moments are things I've already talked about - showing up late or super early repeatedly, being "sick" during important events...) I don't really see her too often, even though she lives 10-15 minutes away (she loves to give me a guilt about not seeing her, even though she's the one who doesn't answer or call me back when I call to make plans, cancels at the last minute, or doesn't call to make plans until the day before she wants to see us, and then is shocked when we didn't wait for her to call before we made other plans. She recently had to go to the hospital, and therefore canceled plans with us. The next time she saw us she told me to "pencil" her in to my "busy" schedule so that she could see us, when she's the one who canceled. Even though she for once had a valid reason to cancel, I still don't understand how I ended up getting blamed.) She also didn't see my son a lot when he was a newborn because she couldn't show up on time, and when my FIL had a whole day off, she decided she'd rather go shopping then to come see us, but didn't have a problem making me feel bad that she had "missed out on SO much!"

Anyway, my whole point is I don't have problems sharing my mother in law stories, but I don't really have a ton to tell right now. My funniest story is about the time we were all discussing how the old Sesame Streets had come out on DVD, but that they came with a parental warning. When my husband heard this, he was floored and asked "Why the hell would they put a parental warning on Sesame Street?!?" To which my MIL answered before I had a chance too: "Oh, I heard about that. It's because there's a black guy in it."

.....Yup. Then there was also the time she yelled at me for putting one of Cayden's toys on the Spanish setting, saying Cayden didn't need to learn Spanish, that it wouldn't help him out at all. She got really upset/flustered when my husband and busted out laughing, and didn't have much to say when we told her that you get higher paying jobs when you're bi-lingual, and most colleges actually required you to know two different languages.

She hasn't said too many more racist things anymore, since she yelled at me for calling my son a butthole and I told her I'd rather hear him drop the F bomb than say something racist.

Anyway, again, I luckily don't see her too often, but when I do, if she says anything ridiculous, I'll be sure to pass it on.


I was thinking last night about my school. Things weren't easy in my childhood, and I had my fair share of struggles. It's not something I would care to repeat. However, I did get lucky when it came to my school. Well. Sort of.

My town was tiny, my school even smaller. I knew everyone in the high school by name. This just meant the rumors got around, and quickly. We also had the reputation of being such a good school, that in order to keep up appearances, authority figures over looked certain things (a bad drug problem, which I think led to our nasty suicide rates.) In high school, there was a suicide every year, and that was just counting the ones that were successful, we never really knew how many attempts were made. After high school, I've known several other people to commit suicide. I really think it's part growing up in a town where you're a big fish in a little pond, and part drugs. I myself battled with depression, and ended up attempting suicide when I was 17.

The good thing about my school though, was I had many teachers who went above and beyond and really cared for me and the rest of their students. The one who stands out the most was my English teacher, Mr. Woodall.

I loved English (I'm not so great at the technical side, but a class where you're required to read and write? AWESOME.) But, after dealing with the WORST English teacher in the world for two years (he switched grades, so we had him twice. His name was Mr. Garrison, no joke, and he was a jerk, on top of being a bad teacher. And also very full of himself.)I ended up being switched to a "special" English class. I was really upset about this. I'm not afraid to say when I need extra help (I was placed in a special class for Math as well, which I desperately needed.) But, I really placed the blame on a crappy teacher. However, after being in this class for a few weeks, it was recognized by the whole staff that I didn't belong there, and I was able to switch to the regular English class. That's where I met Mr. Woodall.

Mr. Woodall was an AWESOME teacher. He came up with fun projects, told jokes, stayed after to help students. Even the mundane, boring, required tasks were fun. Every day when I walked in the class he would greet me with "You're the one, Lo. You're the one."

I didn't really understand what he met. I graduated 8th grade and moved on up into high school. I occasionally went back to visit, but life got busy, and visits were less frequent. Then Sophomore year rolled around. I was actually in English class when our teacher got pulled out into the hall. I knew it was bad news, and so I assumed it was another suicide. I started thinking about who I hadn't seen that morning. I was shocked when she came back an announced that it was, in fact, a teacher who had died.

Mr. Woodall had a heart condition due to untreated strep throat that he had when he was a child. We were told that his wife went in to wake him in the morning, and he never woke up. I always regretted not telling him how much he meant to me, and how he gave me back my love for reading and writing that Mr. Garrison stole from me. I know from my work in a non-profit that teaching kids? Not easy at all. And I had so much respect for him and the work that he did. It kills me that I never got to thank him.

I did, however, enter an essay about him in a Teacher of the Year contest, and ended up winning. Unfortunately, they moved Mr. Garrison up as Mr. Woodall's replacement, which is really horrible. I just wanted to take a moment and tell you about him, and to thank any teachers out there. Your students may not say so at the time, but you probably have touch their lives in a way.

What about you guys? Any special teachers? Are any of you teachers?

And real quick, I know there's been a few people talking about how 15 miles is coming back. I know some people have asked for blog recommendations, and I do recommend that one (http://fifteenmiles.blogspot.com/?zx=f50a463c55f74d5e) However, I have an opinion on everything, and I've stated my opinion on what went down on this blog a couple times before. In the comments, you have to take the good with the bad. I get really annoyed (to the point where I stopped reading one of the blogs I used to read) when author's open up comments, ask for peoples opinions, and get angry when people are honest.

I try to be real with what I do. I'll tell you up front, my writing is most likely going to be full of grammar errors, and that's probably not going to change. They'd be full of spelling errors too, if it weren't for spell check. I made up the posting schedule, and I'm trying my best to stick to it, but I don't have a problem changing it if it gets to be too much. You can say what you want, sometimes I'll have an explanation for why I do things the way I do, sometimes I'll take suggestions, sometimes I'll ignore anyone who's negative for no good reason. I think when you put yourself out there, you should expect that someone's not going to like you. You should expect that someone may be jealous and want to pick on you. You should expect that some people will critique you.

I do think the author handled it wrong. That's my opinion. But I also can admit that I never saw the emails that she got, and maybe some other things were going on that added to the stress of things. Someone mentioned they had mixed feelings about the whole deal, and I had to agree. I do kinda wish that she apologized, not to everyone, but to the people who DID support her. But, I also can't say I'm not going to read it anymore, the story is just THAT good, I know I'd be lying.

All in all, writing a blog I don't think is hard as some people make it out to be. I think a lot of the authors add stress to themselves. If you don't have time to post, then change your schedule. If someone says something nasty, ignore it! Who cares that someone doesn't like what you wrote, why does it matter? It's not like you know these people in real life, and obviously on a lot of these blogs the people who dislike things are in the minority.

Anyway, I know some people are going to be like "why are you talking trash about other blogs? Why does it even matter?" It's just that it's whatever wednesday, and being up this late, playing mafia wars on facebook, that's part of what I was thinking about. I know I can be a little judgmental of people, or at least it can come off that way. It's just that I have an opinion that I like to share, but on the flip side, I'm also willing to let people share and have their own opinions.

So what do you guys think? I know a lot of you read other blogs, what do you think about them? SHARE YOUR LINKS TOO! I'm in need of new blogs to read :-)

23 comments:

My parents are both teachers. So is my sister and her husband. They are all of them pretty much loved and admired by their pupils/students. I guess it's because they love what they do and do it with heart and soul.
I had a few excellent teachers too : my Physics and English ones. They were fair and always open to their students' needs. They'll always have a special place in my heart and they know it.

 

Hey Laura, I love whatever Wednesdays!
I am a homeschooler of two so I don't know if that counts as a "teacher", I came from a super small school, some correspondence and a super large high school (1700 just in grade 12!) OK to me that's big!
I had some amazing teachers, my favorite are the ones who really cared, that didn't take kids acting up, but gave constructive criticism/help when you needed it. I have to say English was my favorite subject too although spelling/grammar is my weakness I love to read. I am sure your son will pick up on your love too.
As for blogs I love View from this chair, i think it is "technically" finished, but you can add your own ending. There is a new story by Lady called As we lay, it is good too. IMO Here are the links:
http://aswelaystory.blogspot.com/2009/09/beginning.html
http://viewfromthischair.blogspot.com/2006/12/in-beginning.html

 

I really do believe that teachers can make or break a kid in school. My son LOVED pre-school, went to kindergarden, had a crappy teacher and hated school from then on. My daughter had a wonderful first teacher, is now a freshman, and has loved school everyday. I strongly recommend switching teachers if you have a bad feeling.

I do hope that fifteen comes back but I also hope she has changed her attitude somewhat. Love the story. Like you said, we didn't read the emails and if she would have shared them we might understand what she is talking about but she did treat the loyal readers bad. I supported her because I wanted her to know that not all of the readers are jerks.

Another blog that I read and he has alot of different stories already posted from the past is
http://pointmeister.blogspot.com/
It Occurred To Me was the first one I read and loved it. Thye are mystery stories that really get you thinking. He post something almost everyday but the stories get updated on Mon and Fri.

Thanks again for your story and all the little extras!

 

Teachers, I didn't really have any special teachers through school, or any bad teachers either. In high school I had 2 favs, my English teacher from 9th and 10th grade. She always called me and my best friend her 2 "bad asses" in a loving way lol. Ahe also saved me from being punished when I was caught by the principal in the boys bathroom (yea I was a bit wild in high school) Me and my friend had gone in there the day before and smoked cigs with the guys. The next day I went in, my friend wasn't there. And lo and behold I got caught by the Principal. I must have been the talk of the teachers lounge because Mrs. Forrest (my English teacher) told me that she told the principal that she saw these boys drag me in there. I went in willing, Mrs. Forrest thought the whole thing was funny. Never did get into any trouble lol. My next fav in High School was my Agriculture Teacher (I lived in a farming town) and the reason I liked him was because his class was a goof off class and let us go out to the Greenhouse and smoke. By the time i started College (and was more mature) I had an English teacher, Mrs. Gearheart, that I really really loved. Not only was she a great teacher, we got along really well. I had 2 classes with her, the second wound up being a one on one, it started just me and another girl because no one else was signed up for the class and Mrs. Gearheart took us on anyway. Then the other girl got appendisitis (sp?) and dropped out. So Mrs Gearheart and I would talk about soap operas we watched. She also took time the next semester to help me with a term paper.

Blogs. Kidz 15 miles is back if you haven't heard. No real apology. But she's haveing a friend moniter the comments and will only allow comments pertaining to the blog to go through. I'll continue to read the blog, but I won't bother with the comments.

 

loved your story and your thoughts on your teacher. It brought tears to my eyes and reminded me of teacher's who've meant so much to me in the years since I saw them. I think I need to send out some letters to them now...

 

I had this one teacher way back in 2nd grade. You'll find it funny, but the reason I liked her is because she didn't take crap from the kids and was fair in her punishment. I can't actually remember the number of times she literally dragger me out from under a table and to the principals office, haha (can't remember what it was I did though, lol). I was apparently a problem student that year, but she didn't give up on me or ignore me. She didn't just write me off as "one of those" and just let me be. She made me be a part of the class in a fun way, and I learned a lot from her. She actually had me help another student learn to write cursive! Anyway, her and I stayed in touch for quite a while after that. The last thing I recieved from her was a box of goodies like kitten covered notebooks and pencils and such, lol. Even though we've lost touch, I still think about her, and God willing, when I become a teacher (must force kids to read more!), I'm going to try to model my teaching method after hers.
I've wanted to be a teacher since the 2nd grade because of her, I found out in about 6th grade that I really wanted to teach English, but I'm still not sure what grade, lol.
As for you guys loving the reading but not being into the grammar part...I actually really liked that part, haha. I think I was the ONLY kid who did. I actually got excited when we watch that stupid video every single year (conjunction junction, whats your function? haha)

 

Sprickle, I'm giving away my age, but that conjuntion/conjuntion thing used to be on TV on Saturday mornings between cartoons. This was way before cable.

 

I just read the 15 mile post and it just was not the same. I mean it was a good post the story was suspensful and all but I am not excited about it. I don't really care if she posts tomorrow or next week or ever. I think that says alot because I love a good story. I am so into this blog I get excited just thinking about what is to come. But after the author's attitude to loyal readers and just flat out temper tantrum I just can't bring myself to enjoy or support her work anymore. DOn't know if I am alone in that feeling.

 

I graduated from high school in 2008 and your post reminded me bout the teachers who made such a huge difference in my life. I had a teacher Ms. Turnquist who gave me my love of journalism. I was randomly put into her electronic media class my freshmen year because I transferred in 2 weeks after classes started. She helped me fall in love with broadcast journalism and specifically the behind the scenes production. Thanks to her I got a full college scholarship to study journalism. I just realized I never truly said thank you to her.

 

Sorry it took me so long to comment back! I like whatever Wednesdays too, cuz I feel like I get to talk to y'all and learn a little about you too, but this morning I woke up and our internet and cable was down. I tried to get on blogger mobile to let y'all know (we weren't sure when it was coming back on, so I didn't know if I'd miss tomorrows post as well.) But, like everything else on blogger, it didn't really work for me. But, I just spent like an hour on the phone with ATT, and all is well now, obviously.

ANYWAY, I love that you guys have teachers that you love, and I highly recommend thanking them, no matter how many years it's been. It may be a little tricky tracking them down, but you never know, facebook is kind of a great tool in that sense. They also may not remember you, but I'm sure they'll love hearing that they impacted someone's life. I mean we all know teachers don't really make a lot, especially for all the work that they good ones put it, so a thank you is the least we can do, I feel.

And to all my teachers out there (and yes, home schooling counts!) I think we've talked before Jen, and my friend with four kids, pregnant with her 5th, homeschools hers, and she puts SO much effort into fun places to take them (educational, not just to like, chuck e cheese, lol) and making learning fun for them, as well as finding extra activities where they can socialize with other kids... It's just as much work, if not more than a "real" teacher.

As far as the 15 miles... I'm reading the post right now. And I feel kinda blah about it too. It's still good, but I think I'm with most of you... I know I've said it before but the author rubbed me the wrong way, which makes me NOT want to support her, you know? It's like cheering for the mean girl.

 

So I'm a bit new to this blog but Oh My Goodness I love it!!! I read your first post and absolutly fell in love with the story. Keep on Writing!!! :D

xoxo

 

Since I don't want to comment on the 15 mile blog and a couple of you are discussing it on here, I too read the post. I thought it was good and am looking forward to the next one. But I know what you guys mean, It's kind of like getting back together with an ex who really hurt you, and even though your excited to get back together it's just not quite the same.

 

So i just recently started reading this blog! I got the link from Cosmo bedroom blog, and I have to say this has jumped to the top of my favorites! I can't wait for tomorrows post!

 

I was always, for reasons unknown to me, the teachers' pet. All my teachers loved me, all along, which made me very unpopular with most of my classmates:-) I liked most of my teachers, too. I was lucky enough to have teachers who cared about giving us a wholesome education.

 

I started reading 15 miles shortly before the author's temper tantrum. I had never commented on her blog but never found any that were offensive either...and I went back to look after her outburst. I found her rants both incredibly rude and condescending. I really don't know if her emails were as "mean" as she claimed they were because the comments she took offense to were completely benign. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she had a lot of personal issues going on and her blog was a place to lash out, but it really put a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. I'm not sure if I will continue to read her blog because I don't care to support someone who feels entitled to punish her readers.

That said, I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and appreciate your maturity! You are a wonderful storyteller and I hope to support you in any way I can.

 

Hey I just found your blog and I love it. I am new to the blogsphere and I am really enjoying what I am reading. You are very talented. So I see you guys are talking about other blogs here and I have a question. Does anyone read Diary of J. I just started reading her blog too. And I made a comment on her last post. I am not sure how the comments section usually goes cause as I said I am new to this. But her response to me seemed a little rude. You think I am being sensitive. I posted anonymous cause I don't have any accounts and she seemed a little rude. If anyone reads the blog could you let me know if I am imagining things or being sensitive.

 

P.S. I know my advice might have sounded a little rough but I meant it in the best way. A mother mentality I guess. She seems so sweet in her post and fragile I feel bad for her. I just wanted her to know that she should think of herself above others.

 

Before anyone gets angry, Anon asked my opinion on Diary of J, so this is all warranted!

Diary of J was one of the blogs I STOPPED reading. She never seems to be able to take ANY criticism, I feel like she brings most of her drama on herself, she's immature, and she's a little flaky (saying she's going to post only to have a billion and one reasons not too, even when her reasons sometimes don't make sense.) I don't read, so I don't know what your comment was, or what her response was, so I can't say if you're being sensitive or not, but I do know some other people have said some things and it's my opinion she's kinda spazzed out. I also just don't think her writings all that great.

With that being said, a lot of people do like it, and do read it. There have been a few blogs that I have read where the authors are overly sensitive, and tend to snap on people.

Please know that when you come here, you can say what you want. As I say on the main page, respectful opinions are ALWAYS welcome, feel free to disagree with people, and debate your point. Suggestions are also welcome, but not always taken.

 

Thank You Laura. I was thinking of maybe not commenting and was feeling a little bad that I did. I thought I crossed some sort of line when I read some of the other comments and they were all praise. I appreciate your advice and will keep telling my opinion because it is mine.

FYI: My opinion is not only are you talented you are one class act. I will definately stay with your story.

 

You guys sure know how to give a girl an ego boost! I'm going to have to tell my husband what you guys said when I get home, he's probably going to die laughing (especially when he hears people called me mature. I once wrote penis on my moms car when it was snowing, and I just thought that was hilarious. That was last winter, by the way, ha ha.)

I've gotten "yelled" at before for ragging on J, but I think if you put yourself out there like that, you've got to expect that some people aren't going to like you. No matter how good you are, you just can't please all the people all the time. Sometimes you have to take what they say and change, other times you gotta just let it roll off your back, there's no point in arguing or yelling at someone, especially when their comment may not have been all that harsh. I mean making people feel bad is not my goal, having a bunch of people stroke my ego online and kiss my ass isn't my goal either (not that I'm calling you guys ass kissers, or that getting my ego stroked ISN'T nice, it's just that I fully expect that not everyone's going to like this all the time.) I feel in some other blogs they say they WANT criticism, but when you do it, they get all pissed off. It's like, then put up a notice that you only want comments that are praise, you know? Don't say you want honest opinions if you really don't.

And, I mean, I could understand if someone went way off topic. Like if someone got on here and started criticizing my Mothering skills, or my cooking skills, I may get a little annoyed. But if it's about the blog, I pretty much feel like whatever goes.

Sorry for the rambling. I tend to go off on tangents sometimes, lol.

 

anon - i still read diaryofJ out of boredom - my list of blogs has dramatically decreased - and she's quite snippy in her comments if you sort of criticize her. she's done it to me so i refuse to comment to her anymore. i hate that i still read it haha, esp. since i think its really bad writing.

ANYWHO - for the girlies reading 15 miles - i feel the same way most of you do. i was pretty annoyed with the way the author reacted - like, grow a pair already? its the INTERNET, it DOESNT matter what ppl you will never know in your life say they dont like something about your writing. i wish everyone had your ideals, Laura. this is my favorite blog by FAR and i only wish it would never end haha.

i had some pretty awesome teachers throughout school, even in college. when i was in middle school i wanted to be a teacher, but now i realize i cant stand being around kids ages 6-16 (i hope this changes once i have children haha) so me being a teacher really wouldnt work out well. but i think teachers are some of the most important and influential ppl in a child's life. i wanted to do Teach For America, but decided against it for obvious reasons (not liking kids, low patience, haha). I always loved to visit my old teachers, but once they retire it and you move away gets really hard to keep in touch, ya know?

ahhh i too love whatever wednesdays. but i love posting days even more! cant wait to read the rest of the weeks posts!

=)

 

Yes Anon, don't take it personally from J, she just doesn't take critisim well although she thinks she does lol. I don't read it anymore because the High School drama got old. But alot of people enjoy it, each to their own.

 

I still read the J blog out of bordom as well, there are some good aspects to it but mostly it just reminds me of the over dramatic girls in high school.
This is my fav blog now, even beats Bedroom Blog and those people are professionals.