Oh jealousy, look what you've done

“Shhhh!” Toni shushed me, pinking at the cheeks. I had to laugh, Toni was always so sure of herself and confident, she never got embarrassed.

“This pregnancy is making me very…” She trailed off, blushing again. “Nick said everyone was wasted, and would be passed out. I forgot you were drinking. I’m so sorry Ella.”

“It’s no big deal.” I said, laughing again. “I just thought it was Michelle and either Drew or Sean!”

“Well. I’m glad you didn’t go off on them or something. But, please, don’t tell anyone. I’m kind of embarrassed.” She said.

I nodded.


Toni left, and as soon as I was alone, Jacob sidled up to me.

“Hey.” He said, putting an arm around me. I loved how he always wanted to touch me.

“Hey.” I answered, smiling up at him, cuddling closer.

“Sooo. I was talking to Michelle in the kitchen, annnd she likes your friend Drew. She asked me if we could maybe arrange a double date.”

“Ooooh no.” I said, looking up at him to see if he was serious.

“Why not?” He asked.

“Because….” I trailed off, realizing I couldn’t tell Jacob the truth, unless I wanted to seem like a huge bitch. He obviously didn’t think Michelle was evil, he was her friend.

He sighed. “She said you didn’t like her, but I told her that wasn’t true. Maybe it is?” He asked, his eyes cutting into me.

“No, no.” I said quickly, and then added, because I didn’t want to lie, “I mean, I just don’t really know her one way or the other. I just… Drew’s really picky. He’s never had a serious girlfriend. I wouldn’t want her to get her hopes up and get hurt.” Half truth. Half truth makes it not totally a lie.

“Well, why don’t we just set up a bowling night tonight? You can invite Drew, and he and Michelle will get to spend some time together. I mean, we’re leaving in the morning to go back home…”

“Oh… Well. I mean… I kinda wanted to spend our last night together. Alone.” I smiled at him. It was true, I wanted to spend the last night alone together, but more so, I wanted to spend it without Michelle.

“Well, Mom and I were hoping you’d come home with us for a little bit. I was going to talk to you about it.”

I was quiet for a minute. I wanted to spend time with Jacob, but I was also supposed to spend the week with Jason. I looked around for him, and realized he was inside with Kayla. I hadn’t really spoken two words to him the whole time, he was always wrapped up in her. Could I blame him? No. He had been away from her for a long time, I’m sure he missed her. But then, could he blame me for ditching him to go hang out with Jacob? It’s not like he was paying any attention to me at all.

“If you’re mom won’t care…” I trailed off, shrugging.

Jacob beamed at me. “Awesome. So, bowling tonight?”

I tried to hide my cringe as I nodded.


We spent the rest of the day just hanging around, eating, and being lazy. Jacob’s Mom came back over, and I got to spend some more time with her, which was nice. She was really a funny, laid back, nice woman, and it was a huge relief. All my boyfriend’s Moms were… Not really fond of me. Jason’s Mom was OK, but a little stand-off-ish, and Chris’ Mom was just nuts.

Sandy, Jacob, Jason and I were playing Uno. Unfortunately, the bowling event was set up, and I was getting ready to wrap up the game in order to go Nick and Toni’s to get ready. Kayla was perched on Jason’s lap, attached to the hip as normal.

“Mom, Ella said she’d come hang out with us for a few days.” Jacob said, laying a draw four card onto his Mom.

“Oooh, good. I’ll finally have someone to do some girlie things with.” She responded while flicking Jacob off with one hand, and drawing with the other.

“What, you’re leaving?” Jason said, looking up.

“Yeah… I was going to go spend a few days with Jacob and his Mom before I head home.” I answered, flipping down my card.

“We were supposed to hang out.” Jason said, looking at me. I noticed when he said this, Kayla dropped her arms from around his neck.

“I know… It’s just that, you know, you’re spending a lot of time with Kayla, so I just thought…”

Jason didn’t wait for me to finish. He threw his cards down and stood, Kayla sliding off his lap, catching herself just in time before she hit the floor. The rest of us watched, stunned, as he stormed off.

“What is his deal?” Jacob asked.

“I should go talk to him.” Kayla and I said together.

“I mean, he’s my boyfriend.” She said, looking at me defensively.

“But, I’m the reason he’s upset.” I answered. I didn’t want for her reply, instead I walked off to find Jason.


He was off in one of the fields, sitting with his back towards me, throwing random rocks at nothing. I stood next to him, knowing Jason enough not to say anything. I waited for him to speak.

“You’re really going home with him?” He finally said, still not looking at me.

“Yeah Jason. I like him. And, it’s not like you and I are spending much quality time together.”

“What are you talking about? I’ve been with you this whole time.”

“Yeah, with Kayla attached to your hip.”

“What do you expect? She’s my girlfriend, we’re spending time together.”

“Yeah, I get that. But Jacob’s my boyfriend, I want to spend time with him too.”

“Whatever Ella, you barely know him.”

“And I’m trying to get to know him! Why do you care anyway? You’ve talked to me like twice this whole time. You won’t even notice that I’m gone.”

“Why are you trying to give me a guilt trip for spending time with my girlfriend?” Jason sounded severely annoyed.

“I could ask you the same question.” I shot back.

“Whatever Ella. Do what you want, I don’t care.” He said.

I knew Jason, but I didn’t understand why he was acting like such a spoiled brat. I left him alone, to stew and pout. I knew eventually he would get over it. I hoped.


I hobbled back into the barn, huffing down on the couch. I noticed that as soon as Kayla saw I was back, she bolted out of the barn to go find Jason. I shook my head. Coddling Jason was never going to work, and he would eventually tire of someone hovering. She didn’t know him like I did. I couldn’t understand why that bothered me so much, but it did. They weren’t right together, he shouldn’t be with her.

But, I wasn’t sure anymore that I wanted him to be with me, either. I liked Jacob, a lot. Things were relatively easy with him, despite him being deployed and living far away, even despite Michelle. Things came naturally, and I wasn’t worried about him blowing up at me.

Sandy plopped down next to me, jiggling me out of my thoughts.

“Blanco’s mad you’re blowing him off, huh?” She asked.

“I guess. I don’t understand why.”

She laughed. “Well, that’s easy hon. He’s jealous.”

“He has nothing to be jealous of! He’s the one who moved on with Kayla. And he’s the one who introduced me to Jacob. He’s just being dumb.”

“He’s just being a boy, Ella. They may not be playing with a toy, but that doesn’t mean they want anyone else playing with it.”

“Yeah, well, boys are dumb.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest

“Well, yeah, they are.” She agreed. “Selfish too. You don’t have to come, if you don’t want to upset Jason.”

“I don’t care. He’s just being a brat, it happens. He’ll get over it, he always does. My only other option is to stay here and watch him play kissy face with Kayla.” I shrugged. “Boys can be such jerks sometimes.”

“Sometimes.” She agreed. “But they’re worth it.”

“Sometimes.” I said, looking over at Jacob who was talking to Nick and Toni.

“You like my boy?”

I nodded, still looking at him, smiling.

“Well, good. I like you. But, I love my boy. Be good to him Ella. Or else.” She smiled, but there was a harsh honesty behind her words.

With that, she patted my leg, and got up. She started walking away, where Michelle pounced on her, to probably say something suck uppy and annoying. I laughed to myself as Sandy rolled her eyes over Michelle’s head. I liked the Sandy wasn’t a Michelle fan either.

I sighed, realizing that I would have to spend another evening with her. I hefted myself off the couch to go find Drew to ask him for a ride back to Nick and Toni’s to get ready. If I was forced to spend the night with her, I was at least going to look good while I did it.

12 comments:

loved it, as usual....
I do wish ella would let drew have his girl, i mean all she can do is let him be and be there if he needs her, iknow easier said than done but hey! that's what friends are for!!

 

I haven't been commenting, so I thought I'd just get all of my comments out of the way.

I don't like Greg anymore really. I'm interested to see where this thing goes with Matt, if anywhere.

I still like Drew for Ella, and I'm wondering when she'll realize he's in love with her.

I can't wait to find out what the deal is with Jason and what he did after Ella kicked him out because they did the nasty.

I'm curious as to why Ella and Jacob didn't work out since she never really mentions him in the present. Did he die????

 

I agree, Jen. I definitely feel like Ella is doing to Drew what Jason is doing to Ella. I think she really has feeling for him, doesn't want to admit them, but doesn't want anyone else to have him.

 

LOVE IT!!! Is it possible to get a posting 7 days a week?? HaHa J/K - actually not really. You are a fantastic writer and I love what you are doing here!! Keep it up.

 

I gotta defend Ella a little on this one. I don't think she would have put up such a protest if Michelle hadn't revealed her true colors to ella in the house. Would she have been jealous? probably. But I don't think she would put up such resistance to the idea. So is she doing the same thing Jason is doing? Not in my opinion. But then again Jacob might have revealed his true colors to Jason which is why he is not in the present.

Does my Rambling make sense?

 

Okay, I want to know what happenned to Jacob. I agree with another comment that perhaps he showed Jason his true colors, since Jason doesn't want Ella going home with Jacob. But he seems like a good guy.
Also, I am so over Greg. We just need to lose him from the story so she can be with Matt or Drew.
Did I just forget or did she never read the e-mail from Kayla?

 

Jana she never read it but it was to let her know that Jason was coming over to Ella. You know what happened after that.

 

Oh, yeah! Thanks for reminding me!

 

Maybe Jason does know something about Jacob. But I think Jason just wants his cake and eat it too. And Ella not being fair to Drew? No, I think if he was interested in a decent girl Ella would be ok with it, maybe a tad jealous but she'd be happy for him. I like Jacob's mother, seems she sees Michelle for who she really is.

 

And I can't say I don't like Greg. Seems like a nice guy, I sorta understand where he was coming from, just totally handled the sit. wrong. And he realizes that. But I don't think he and Ella are right for each other.

 

I just wanted to stop in and say, I do adore you guys. Seriously, you guys are so amazing and really, I love all your compliments. But, I also hope none of you feel like you have to kiss my butt for me to continue.

Pretty soon here, where Jacob goes will be revealed.

 

Laura totally not kissing your butt just giving some encouragement (totally deserved) and praise. Take it girly!! :-) That being said - another amazing post! Thanks!