I wish my life could be The way it was before I saw your face

“Oh.” I answered, dropping my arms from around him. “What’s up?”

Matt walked up behind us just then, nodding a hello to Drew and walking into the house.

Drew sighed, and turned away from me. “What happened?” He asked, gesturing to my car and the toilet paper that still clung to the tree.

“I’m not sure. We came out this morning and it was like that.”

“Think it could have been one of your kids?” Drew asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets. Drew liked what I did, but any good boyfriend doesn’t love the fact that their girlfriend works in the ghetto.

“Yeah, right.” I said laughing. “I mean, a few of the kids do know where I live, and have been here before, but I don’t know if they could find it again by themselves. And the fact that it’s so far away? I mean I guess they could have taken the bus, only it wasn’t like this when I came in on Saturday night, so it had to have happened incredibly late or extremely early. I mean, these are some hard ass little kids, I’ll give you that, but I just don’t see them spending the time to buy or steal toilet paper, and also stealing a car to come all the way up here.”

“Yeah. You’re right.” His back was to me.

“How long have you been out here? It’s cold. You could have gone inside.”

“I know, I don’t mind the cold.”

“You want to go inside now?” I asked, shivering a little.

He turned towards me. “Oh, geez Ella, I’m sorry. You’re cold. I don’t want to go inside, but maybe we could sit in your car? I just. Don’t want Matt to hear.”

“Oh-kay.” I said, drawing out my words. I was nervous, I couldn’t shake the sinking feeling in my stomach. I knew something bad would come out of Jason visiting. Does he have some sort of radar that picks up when I’m happy? How does he always seem to know the perfect moment to come crashing down and ruin everything?

We settled in the car, I turned on the heat and blasted it. Drew pulled off his coat and sweatshirt. In doing so, his shirt rode up, exposing a tight stomach. Every time I saw his body, I was shocked, why hadn’t I seen just how gorgeous he was before?
He caught me looking and tugged down his shirt, but not before shooting me a slow smile and a wink. I felt a little better.

“Drew you’re about to give me a heart attack. Why are you here?”

“There’s a couple of things… Amber’s cousin? Nicole?”

“Yeah. Barbie’s little sister, Skipper?” I joked. He smiled.

“She found me on facebook. I don’t know how, really. It’s not like I gave her any other information other than my first name, but she did.”

“And you drove all this way to tell me that some skank friended you on facebook?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No.” He said, laughing. “I told you, there were a couple of things. Just, chill out, OK? You’re making ME even more nervous than I already am.”

“OK.” I said, placing my hands on the wheel. “You know, I could use some hot chocolate, and I think if I’m concentrating on the roads, I won’t be concentrating on interrupting you. Sound good?”

“Yeah.” He answered. “Anyway. She found me on facebook, and friend requested me. I didn’t really know what to do, it seems so stupid to deny someone’s request on facebook, but I know you don’t like her… But, I did accept it.” He shrugged. “I just felt really stupid denying someone on facebook of all places.”

I nodded, turning the corner. I wasn’t mad. Sure, I didn’t love the fact that the skank was moving in on my man, but again, I trusted Drew with everything I had. I knew he wouldn’t do anything.

“She sent me a few messages, dumb stuff, like what I was doing for Christmas, and how serious were you and I exactly. I’d write her back, just the basics. I kept hoping she’d get the hint, I never gave her much to work with, but she’d always respond. Well, before I left to meet up with Jason, she messaged me and asked if it bothered me at all that you and Matt lived together. I said no, I trusted you, and left it at that. Which, I meant, by the way.” He said eyeing me. I nodded again, trying not to interrupt him anymore.

“Well, she sent me another message but since Jas was in town, I didn’t get a chance to read it until late last night. How well do you know Matt?”

“I like to think pretty well. I mean every since you moved up to boyfriend status, he’s kind of taken over the best friend part.” I answered.

“What, I can’t be your boyfriend and your best friend?” Drew asked, looking a little hurt.

“No. I mean, you are, but there’s now stuff I can’t talk to you about. Like when we’re having relationship issues, and I need to vent or something, you know?”

“You’ve already had relationship issues with me?” Drew exclaimed.

“No!” I answered quickly, and then I laughed. “I just mean there’s things I used to discuss with you about other guys. Girls spend a lot of time in their head thinking about relationships, and because of that they tend to over think things and sweat the small stuff. Or, like, I was getting advice on your Christmas present. I can’t ask you that.”

“Oooh, what are you getting me?” He asked, smiling and rubbing his hands together.

“Can you just get back to what the message said?” I answered, laughing and smacking his arm lightly. I was reassured when he took my hand and held it.

“She just… Spewed some awful stuff about Matt… I wasn’t sure if I should take it seriously or not because… I mean a few days ago she was saying how great Matt was and she hoped she could find someone like that for herself, but now she was saying he was a liar and a manipulator… She claimed he told Amber he was really serious about her, that he broke up with Kellie for her, and then just took it all back. I don’t know, she sounded really pissed.”

“And you’re here because…?” I asked, still confused.

“I’m concerned. She said Matt told Amber that the only reason he got with her was to make you jealous. I mean she was spouting off some serious hatred for the guy.”

“Because she’s crazy Drew! She and Amber are seriously nuts. You know, I wouldn’t be shocked to find out that they were the ones that did that shit to my house.”

“I mean how do you know that? Cuz of what Matt said? How do you know Matt’s not the one lying?”

“I guess I don’t. I just believe Matt. I mean, Matt told me weeks ago that Amber was too clingy. She asked him to move in with her! After he told her he still wasn’t over Kellie.”

“He claims he told her that. You don’t know.” Drew pointed out.

While it was cute that Drew was concerned, it was also a tad annoying.

“You don’t know that he didn’t!” I shot back. We were pulled in the parking lot of Starbucks. While I didn’t like their coffee, I loved getting a hot chocolate with two shots of caramel from there. I sighed, looking at Drew.
“I know you’re concerned hon, and I see your point. You could be right, Matt could have lied to me. Or, I could be right, Amber could just be nuts. But, even if you are right, there’s nothing to be worried about. I mean Matt’s never said a bad word about you, and even if he did, I wouldn’t believe him. I know there’s nothing bad about you.”

“Thanks.” He said, squeezing my hand as we exited the car. “I just… Do get worried sometimes. I mean you do live with Matt. You spend a lot more time with him than you do with me. I trust you not to cheat, but I don’t trust Matt.”

I laughed a little. “You drove all the way up here for that?” I asked, standing in line.

“Well. I told you there were a couple of things.” He answered. “Plus, I missed you.” He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me to him so my back was against his chest. He rocked me slightly, and kissed the top of my head.

“I missed you too. It was a pretty good end to a really crappy morning.” I said, loving the feeling of being wrapped up in his arms.

We placed our orders. It was pretty dead, so we were able to catch a couch next to a fireplace.

He blew on his coffee, not looking at me. “It’s not over yet…” He trailed off.

The sinking feeling came back. I set down my hot chocolate. “Well, you did say you had a couple of things, so…”

“Yeah. I don’t know which I’m more nervous to talk to you about.”

“So, there’s two more things?”

“Yeah, they kind of go hand in hand… In a weird way.”

“Oh.” I answered, wracking my brain. I knew one just HAD to do with Jason. What was the second one about?

He starred into the fire, again, not saying anything.

“OK, Drewbie. You really need to stop doing all of this. Are you trying to kill me?”

“What?” He asked, looking up at me, clueless.

“Tell me what’s going on!” I said, laughing despite my nervousness, or maybe because of it.

“We need to talk about Jason.”

Boom. Bombs went off. The smile went instantly off my face. I suddenly didn’t know what to do with my hands, so I picked up my hot chocolate, and then feeling awkward, I set it back down again.

“OK. What about him?” I asked, picking back up my hot chocolate. I took a sip and burned my tongue.

“Look. This is really, really awkward. And I don’t want to have this conversation, because I don’t really think I want to know the answer…”

Oh God. Jason told him. Jason told him that we slept together, and now I’m going to have to confirm it. I felt like I was going to vomit.

“But, it goes with the second part of what I came to talk about… Ella, when I’m gone, I miss you. I can't concentrate on anything else, and I hate that I’m so far away. I mean, what if something happens to you? It’ll take me hours to get here. I mean, even if it’s something little, like your car breaking down… I know there’s other people you could call, but… I’d just like it to be me. I have a friend, he wants to sublease my apartment. My Dad’s not happy about me leaving, but there’s not much work going on in the winter anyway, so, he won’t be screwed if I bail out now… What I’m trying to say is… I’d really like to move down here. As in, now. I could stay tonight… Spend a couple days down here looking at apartments, a job, I have vacation time...”
“What does that have to do with Jason?” I asked, surprised, excited, and a little scared.

“I need to know you’re over him Ella. Totally and completely. If you tell me you are, I’ll believe you. I just need to know.” I looked at his eyes, which looked pained, hopeful and scared.

“Oh, Drewbie.” I said, taking his hand. “I’m over Jason. Don’t get me wrong, I think I’m always going to love him,” Drew nodded as I said this, but I did see a wave of hurt flash across his face. “But, it’s just… It’s done.”

He was quiet for a moment, mulling things over. “Would you still say that if I told you he had left Kayla?”

17 comments:

Awesome post! Drew has some very valid points he was stating. I don't blame him for asking if she's over Jason. I'm just not sure if she should come clean about sleeping with him recently. It might hurt him now, but it will be worse if he finds out later. mum

 

Ok who is the crazy one Matt or Amber?? If I were Ella I'd be finding that out real quick. I mean I'm thinking Amber because of the toilet paper, but what if it's Matt he has acted pretty strange at times. I think Ella should talk to kellie find out some more about Matt. Or maybe confront Amber directly. And why is it that Jason breaks up with or leaves Kayla everytime that Ella is happy with someone else?? But I've got faith in my girl Ella this time, she is def over Jason. If not and she dumps Drew for Jason I'll have to jump into this blog and B**** slap her lol.

 

I <3 Drew.

 

Drew is so the perfect man!

 

And now the wait until Monday!!! LOL
I hope, hope, hope Ella looks Drew in the eyes and says Jason is DONE, she wants nothing more to do with him!! Time to realize who is good for you and who is bad for you! Of course it took me until I was almost 30 to stop dating the ones who are bad for me so who am I to talk??!!

 

AHH! Laura, you've GOT to stop leaving us with these mini-cliffhangers! It's driving me crazy! (:
I love Drew more and more with each post. Hopefully Ella won't screw things up with her response to his last statement. I can imagine her being "OH MY GOSH! HE LEFT KAYLA!?" And then Drew getting all sad. Oh, Ella. Drew's a keeper. Forget about Jason! hahah.
I still don't know what to think about Matt. Even when he turned into the "good guy," there still seemed something shady about him. I guess we'll have to see if he's the one being the weasel, or if it's still Amber. Wouldn't surprise me at all if she was the one behind the vandalism.

 

I'm not sure Matt can be trusted because he knows Ella and Jason slept together. I wouldn't put it past him to "mention" something in passing to Drew if he moves up to be with Ella. And I also think Amber was the one responsible for the vandalism. Ella should let Drew know she'd slept with Jason and deal with the consequences earlier rather than later.

 

I agree. Ella needs to come clean with Drew. I think if she does it shows she is entirely done with Jason. And wants a new clean slate with Drew. But if she keeps it a secret it will come back to haunt her in a big way. Matt could open his mouth, or he could have already told amber and amber told her cousin, Jason could still say something. The letter could pop up. It is too risky for her not to say anything. She needs to come clean if she wants a shot with Drew because after this open and deep conversation she withheld the info on purpose and the consequences will be more severe.

 

Please, Ella! Don't let Jason leaving Kayla affect your relationship with Drew!
But thank goodness that Drew didn't have all the bad things we expected from the last cliffhanger!

 

Drew is wonderful. I was really scared Jason had told him. The only problem is that Ella needs to come clean and realize it could have a lot to do with why Jason left Kayla. I hope Drew can handle all of that.
I don't know what to think about Matt. Amber seems like the crazy type and its kind of obvious Matt is into Ella. Either way, three is gonna be a crowd real soon.

 

Damn hot diggity Damn. Ella needs to be honest. She needs to hurry up and fall out of love with Jason quick.I love Drew.I just don't get how she is not over him, it's not like he ever was really great to her. I couldn't always love a man like that.I hope she tells Drew he truth before Jason does. I still think it was Kayla who did the vadalism. She always seemed a little crazy to me. I never understood how Jason was so in love with a girl that cheated on him but never truly felt that way about Ella. Tat to ne was crazy. Kayla and Jason deserve each other if you ask me. She broke Ella's leg. I bet she never felt guilty about that. I would have felt so guilty if I did something like that. Jason isn't even worth it. Ella please hurry up and fall in love with Drew. Maybe she needs to lose him first to see how much he means to her. Sometimes when people leave it hits you hard. Maybe she will wake up.

 

I am sorry about all the typos everyone. There were way too much for me. I just noticed how long my comment is.

Dani

 

if you think about the vandalism thing, wasn't Matt's car untouched? Prob wasn't either Amber or her cousin... I agree with above commentor, either Kayla... or Matt himself?!

 

this is a awesome post. but confused about drew's frosty greeting. That part is throwing me off a bit.

 

I still think Amber and her cousin are nuts and are probably behind the vandalism! Skanky skipper probably is just planting doubt in Drew's head because he isn't interested in her. Who Facebooks a guy they met once? Especially since she only knew his first name. She must have done some super stalking to hind him. I do think that Matt likes Ella but I don't see him as the destructive type. I see him as the pining away and sneaking in when Ella may be vulnerable type. As for Drew, I don't blame him for asking about Jason because it is only fair. I sincerely hope that Ella doesn't let Jason destroy her chance at happiness. Jason is not worth it.

 

anon@January 7, 2010 4:16 PM

i have to assume that it's because of the jason and kayla thing... he's afraid of what ella might say