It's no surprise to me I am my own worst enemy

The weekend took it’s toll on me, and I must have fallen asleep in the car. I woke slightly when I felt Drew reach in the car to scoop me up. I tried to mumble a protest, I could walk, I was just tired, but I liked how safe I felt in his arms. (Author’s Note: A car crash? Really guys? When have I been that predictable? lol) I snuggled closer, breathing in the scent on his neck. It felt good to be happy.

Really good.

It stunned me when he stopped.

“What are you doing here?” He called to someone.

For a second, I wondered if I was dreaming. I wasn’t expecting anyone, and I didn’t know who exactly would be here. I also didn’t know who would randomly show up that Drew would know. I managed to pull my heavy head off Drew’s chest and looked out bleary eyes to see who it might be.

“I came to talk to her.” Kayla answered, her arms crossed against her chest.

“Oh. Shit.” I mumbled to myself, as I almost fell out of Drew’s arms.

Drew set me down, but he protectively wrapped an arm around me. I think he knew what Kayla had to say was going to hurt, and he was trying somehow to shield the blow.

“You want to go inside and talk?” I asked, nervously. I wanted to pretend like I had no idea why she was here, but I did. I could feel it in the air. She knew what had happened between Jason and I, and she was here to confront me about it. I should have said something to Drew, when I had the chance, by myself, on my own. I wondered if there was any way to save face now, to let him know…

The look on Kayla’s face told me, no, she did not want to go inside the house.

“You must be cold… Have you been out here for long?” I tried, weakly.

“Anger keeps you warmer then you’d think, and right now Ella, I’m plenty ticked off.” Was Kayla’s response.

“Drew, why don’t you go wait inside…” I asked, trying to cover my ass one last time.

“Are you two together now? You looked pretty close there.” Kayla asked, eyeing both of us.

We didn’t answer.

“Oooh. You are. Must be nice Ella, to go from wrecking a marriage to a perfect relationship with a guy who’s only been pining for you for over a decade.” She spit out the words, and you could tell she was honestly disgusted with me. I couldn’t blame her. After what I did with Jason… I had been disgusted with me.

“What is she talking about?” Drew asked, looking from me to Kayla and back again. His brow was furrowed, confusion was written all over his face.

I didn’t want to lose this. No, I really didn’t. But more than that, I didn’t want to hurt Drew like that. I didn’t want to break his heart.

“Just go in the house Drew, I’ll explain it when I come inside.” I was begging. I knew I was, desperation was oozing from my voice.

“He doesn’t know?” Kayla asked. Then she laughed bitterly. “Oh Ella, you are a bitch. A cold, selfish bitch. He has no idea what happened. Does Jason even know you’re with him?”

I shook my head.

“Classic. Jason leaves his wife, thinking he made this big mistake and is going to come win you back, and he has no idea that you’re actually screwing around with his best friend.”

“What is she talking about?” Drew asked, looking at me.

“I haven’t spoken with Jason since…” I trailed off.

“Since you fucked him. When he was married to me. That’s what I’m talking about Drew. Your girlfriend slept with my husband.”

“Ella?” Drew asked. “That’s not true, is it?”

“I…” I trailed off. I was searching for some way to put it... To somehow soften the blow... I had nothing. “Yes. It’s true.”

“You don’t even try to deny it? Try to lie? Do you know how many lives you ruined? Do you even care?” Kayla asked, shaking her head. She stood, wiping off the back of her jeans.

“All my friends, they told me it was worthless to come here. A waste of time, a waste of money, a waste of effort… They were right. You aren’t worth it. But it’s not like I had much else to do. I’m all moved back home, I haven’t found a job yet. I don’t want to sit around and feel sorry for myself anymore. You aren’t worth that either, and neither is Jason. I knew I had to find you, and I had to make sure you knew this, because I’m worth it.” She paused, her voice shaky, with tears and anger and something else.

“Jason treated us both like crap for years. And for years, we both put up with it. Every time he pushed me away, I told myself, it’s only a matter of time before he came back. And when he asked me to marry him, I thought…” She sighed. “I thought I won. I thought this was it. All the waiting finally paid off. I won. Now I realized, we both lost. We both fell in love with a loser, and we both wasted too much time on him. I just came out of it looking a helluva lot better than you, and that’s no coincidence. I’m a better person then you. I would have NEVER done what you did, I would have NEVER stooped that low because I don’t have too. You and Jason deserve each other. You’re both sad, selfish, pathetic whores.”

With that, she walked away.

I wanted to say something to her. Call to her she was wrong, I wasn’t a whore, I wasn’t selfish, I wasn’t like that at all. I wanted her to know that it was a mistake. A mistake I was sorry for, and to let her know that Jason had hurt me too. But, as I opened my mouth to speak, I realized… I had nothing to say. No comeback, no insult, and no real explanation. I had a bunch of excuses, and they didn’t make much sense. Jason hurt me, so I chose to sleep with him when I knew he was married? I didn’t mean for it to happen, only I never said no, never once thought about Kayla and what it might do to her. I knew that calling out any of these things would have just added insult to Kayla’s injury. I wasn’t a selfish person by nature. But, I had acted very selfishly when it came to Jason. I had only thought about my wants, my needs, my pain when it came to him. I was angry, hearing Kayla say what she had to say, but even more angry when I realized she was right. When it came to Jason, I was sad, I was selfish, I was pathetic. And what I had done with him could definitely been considered whore-y. I had actually gotten off easy, because had I married Jason? And he had screwed around with Kayla on me? I would have been a lot more angry. I would have said a lot worse things.

She was definitely right when she said she was the better person.

I winced as I heard her peel out down the driveway. I sent a silent prayer up to heaven that angry as she might be, she would still get home safe. It sounds like a nice thing to do, but my motivation wasn’t totally selfless. She was so angry, “so angry she couldn’t see straight” my Mom might say. I didn’t need any more bad karma, didn’t need her to get into a car crash on the way home, didn’t need to give her family and friends any more reason to hate me. They had enough reason.

Drew had dropped his arm from around me and taken a few steps back when Kayla was doing her spiel. Now I needed to turn, and face him.

I had to force myself to look at him. I was terrified of his reaction. Again, I know how I would have reacted, if the shoe was on the other foot. His eyes were on me, but I couldn’t read his expression. I didn’t know where to start, so I reached for his hand.

He recoiled, as if I was a snake.

“Oh Drew…” I said, starting to cry.

“Is what she said true, Ella?” He asked, his jaw clenched. “Did you sleep with Jason?”

“Yes.” I answered, trying to steel myself from… I don’t know.

“When?” He asked, raking his hands though his hair.

“I don’t know. Awhile ago.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because… Well. We weren’t talking for one. And I mean, it wasn’t something I was proud of… You said you were tired of hearing about Jason and I…”

“That’s bullshit Ella, you should have told me.” He was pacing now, making me even more nervous.

“Drew I just didn’t…”

“Why?”

“Why what?” I asked, confused.

“Why did you do it?”

“I don’t know. I know it sounds cliché, but it just happened. Then when it was over I realized what a mistake it was.”

“You said you were over him.” Drew’s voice was hoarse, and I felt it like sandpaper down my back.

“I am over him Drew.”

“Then why’d you do it?”

“I told you…”

“You should have told me Ella. Not telling me… It seems like you were trying to hide something from me, and that’s what gets me the most. This whole thing is hard on me. I’m worried about losing you as a girlfriend and as a friend, and my biggest fear is Jason, because he’s always there, always hovering above us, always this unspoken word that hangs on the end of every sentence. He’s the elephant in the room and the ghost nobody talks about.” He paused, running a hand over his face and rubbing his eyes.

“I told you,” he said, his hand stand covering his eyes, “that you were the girl I measured everyone against. And that’s true. Everyone fell short compared to you. But Jason is the guy you measure everyone else against. And I just… I don’t know Ella. I don’t know why I can’t measure up. It seems like it would be easy, considering everything Jason’s done and the type of guy Jason is. But I apparently just can’t. And you know what? I’m really sick of trying.” He started to walk away, to his truck.

“Drew you know that isn’t true!” I yelled, grabbing his arm and trying to pull him back to me.

“It IS true Ella. You and I both know it’s true. This was a mistake. This whole thing was a mistake, and I’m not sticking around to watch it blow up in our faces. You’ll eventually go back to Jason, and Ella, I’ll hate you for that. So I need to leave now. Maybe someday, you and I can be friends again, but if I don’t leave now, I’ll wind up hating you, and I just… I can’t.” He shrugged his shoulders, and had such a look of… Defeat on his face. I let go of his arm, and he turned and continued down the drive, waving once before he climbed into his truck.

I knew I should have stopped him. I knew I should have said something, done something. But my heart was broken, and my body felt like it was filled with lead. I couldn’t move, couldn’t blink, couldn’t breathe. It wasn’t until I felt the tears fall down my face that I realized I was even still alive. I felt the cold, but I couldn’t make myself go back inside. I just kept waiting for Drew to turn the car around, to come back, to realize that I was sorry.

“I am sorry.” I whispered into the wind.

29 comments:

Karma is a b*tch. I can't really dislike Kayla, though. She really was the better person.

 

Uggggh. We knew it was coming...I really really really really hope they can recover from this and I hope Ella doesn't do anything stupid in the meantime to get through the pain she's feeling. Waiting til Monday gaaaah! I do like the flashbacks though... helps to see what Ella is all about and gives background on everyone and how they got to where they currently are. :)

 

I knew it was too early on in the blog for them to get together. Poor Drew :( I can imagine how he must feel. I guess Ella and Drew just need to not be together for a while so they can both be sure she's really over Jason. And stupid Jason, why did he have to tell Kayla?! Sure it might have felt good for him to get it off his chest but it only caused her pain and started all this drama... I do feel a little sorry for him though, it must suck to finally know who he wants to be with and not be able to get her.

 

I'm really hoping Ella does something to win Drew back. I loved them together. I hope she drives to his house and refuses to leave until they really talk about this and work through it. It would prove that she wants to be with Drew more because she never fought for Jason, but she would be fighting for Drew.

 

I hope the next time Ella sees Jason she tells him off and when Drew sees him he punches him in the face. I don't feel bad for him at all, he deserves all of this for treating these 2 women this way for so long. And I hope that Drew and Ella can work this out and she actually IS over the scum bag.

 

Gosh Darn it. That ruined my day.
~Mel

 

Oh this post made me almost cry! I just have to say the emotion you put into it was excellent! I hope Drew and Ella can work things out. Maybe Drew just needs to get over the shock of what happened and then he will be able to talk.

 

maybe it's the fact that I'm a new mom and my hormones are all over the place still. or the fact that I'm a big baby, cause I DID cry at the end of this post!! well written.

I knew she should have told him BEFORE someone else did.

If she were smart, she would know that Jason only slept with her cause he didn't want to commit to Kayla, and needed an "excuse" to end the marriage because she can't have kids. Now, he figures he can have his cake and eat it too.

If I were her, I would be on the phone, calling Jason, and saying to him that I wanted nothing to do with him. Ever. No calls, no flowers, no love letters. Done. Tell him that she loves Drew and is on her way to fix that right now and she never wants to hear from douchebag again.

 

Ok I had to come back and comment again ... I have to second what Anonymous said...Ella better fight for Drew because I don't feel like she ever fought for Jason. She just kept letting him walk away or she would do the walking away. If she is smart she will get her butt in her car and go to Drew.

 

Kayla spoke the truth. Every word she said was true, no matter how much it hurt. Jason treated them both like dirt and they took it for years. Even though both girls allowed it. I hope they are all able to move on. However, this is the chance Ella has been waiting for. Jason and Kayla have split and everything is out on the table. If they are ever going to make a go of it, this would be the time to try. It might not be a bad idea. She's got to determine that she is done with Jason once and for all. I don't think she has yet. mum

 

Oh come on Drew. The sleeping with Jason thing is what made Ella realize that she was over him. Come Back!!!!!

 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I feel so bad for Drew.

 

I really hope they can work it out because I love Drew and I love them together! I can see why she wouldn't have wanted to tell him since it wasn't her bet moment but it was before her and Drew even got together and she should have been upfront and honest. Now Ella needs to fight for Drew and prove that she is over that looser Jason once and for all.

 

NO! NO! NO! Fix it! My face got so hot when I was reading this post. Ella is finally doing the right thing and this happens. :( She needs to go and beg and grovel and fight for Drew. He is the best thing that ever happened to her. Crapola!

 

*Unpopular opinion alert*

I am glad it happened. And I am glad it happened this way. There were too many loose ends with everything. Ella is still so fragile and untrusting of herself. She needed a kick in the ass to realize she handles things completely wrong. she hides from things thinking it will all magically work itself out. She hasn't spoken to Jason she just jumped in with Drew. She hopes beyond hope all things will fall in place and things just don't work that way. Life is a hard rough road but you don't survive it unless you have the courage to face the bad decisions/mistakes and do something different next time. What she did with drew is no different with what she did with Jacob. She jumped in telling herself over and over Jason is out of it but once times get rough she falls back on Jason. I have no doubt that if this didn't happen she would have done the same exact thing with Drew. The first fight or whatever. Ella needed this to face Jason and put him behind her, even if that means giving it a shot with him, before things got to serious with Drew. That in my opinion is the only way her relationship with Drew is going to go anywhere.

 

I have been reading this blog for a long time and never jumped into any of the comments except now. If Ella gets back together with Jason I will be so mad. But imagine Drew's feelings 1. his first time was in a bathroom and then 2. he finds out his first wrecked the marriage of his best friend. Poor guy. I swear I have been in the same position as Ella (minus the marriage factor) and as hard as it is, it makes you a lot stronger of a person in the end.

PS I Love This Blog and I thought I should finally let you know :)

 

Ella Ella Ella should have told Drew before they got together.

I think for the past 10 Years the girl has had her eyes closed. She really needed to let go of this Jason obsession she has and move on. The man doesn't even have a redeeming quality about him. When someone shows you who they are believe them. I mean really what was so damn good abot Jason. Did he look like Johnny Depp or even Brad Pitt. I mean come on. Toni needs to knock some sense into that girl. I know they have been trying for years. But she doesn't get it. Jason no good, Drew very good. Really how could any woman love a man like that. But Kayla neds to get over herself a little too. You knew how shady the man was when you married him. If I was her after the marriage I would have told ella listen woman to woman you really need to move on he doesn't love you because if he did he wouldn't have married me. I know that Ella was selfish, she really didn't think about anyone but herself and she got what was coming. She needs to woman up and stop being such a baby at times, and handle her self like a grown woman. She needs to stop running from her problems and face them head on. I don't think she and Jason should try anything out because the writing has been onn the wall but Ella was too blind to see it. She needs to face Drew and apologize to Kayla. As much as Kayla may hate this she and Ella are so much alike. They let Jason use and play them both. A man would only do what you let him do. But Kayla to me needs to not pass judgement because she has done some shady crap too.

 

Adding on to my long coment. Ella should be ashamed. I don't want you to think that I'm absolving her or making Kayla out to be the bad guy. But she really shouldn't be surprised. I saw this coming because of Ella hang up over the guy. Jason I think used that to his advantage, but damn. I'll be praying for Ella. If I was Kayla I would be pissed too but more at Jason and myself for staying with the idiot for that long. Not saying I wouldn't be mad at ella, I would but I didn't marry her.
Dani

 

Anon 12:14 I have to respectfully disagree with you. I agree with Mum and the other Anon ella should give it a shot with Jason. Because she has this fairytale in her head. All the what if's and the maybe's. We all see that Jason sucks big time but Ella will never truly see it until she gets what she wants and discovers the hard way it ain't all it's cracked up to be. She will never get over him with the fantasy in her head.

JMO.

 

OK, I have to throw this out there, cuz it kinda does bother me a little:

People either love Jason or hate him, and most of you hate him. That's fine, I get it. If my best friend was dating him, I'd hate him too. But I'm just wondering... Have any of you ever had a Jason? Because I thought it was pretty common in a girls life to have a Jason, the guy that you KNOW is no good, who everyone TELLS you is no good, and you just can't let him go.

I mean I don't know how many of you guys watch the show Tough Love (I think I've admitted before that I'm a reality show junkie) but their last show showed a "Jason" type relationship, where they brought back the girl's exes, and the blonde chick (I can't remember her name) was in love with her best friend Jeremy (who's name I only remember because it's my husbands name as well) He kept going back and forth with her, even admitting he never felt those sparks, but still, she hung around.

So I mean, have you guys had relationships like that?

 

I have with my ex husband. That is why I feel Ella needs to give it a shot with Jason. for years everyone told me I had to let him go I could do better, etc. But I never could. I had this fantasy in my head that if he would just realize we belong together we would live happily ever after and so on. But the truth is I finally got him to commit and he sucked. now 2 kids and a whole lotta debt and heartbreak later I could see that. I couldn't before. 12 years is a long time to put someone on a pedestol and when they fall it hurts alot! So i understand Kayla's hurt she got there first. Ella I think is almost there but not quite she will be though. People don't change overnight.

 

I've never had a Jason. I've seen other people have a Jason, but I've never been able to put with things like that. I think thats why I get so frustrated when I read about Ella still being in love with Jason. I just can't understand how someone can be treated that way and still like them, let alone love them.

 

^^ Love is blind. It makes you stupid sometimes. Being naieve and trusting is another factor. I never judge people who have a Jason. For one I had my own Jason but I think that is okay. Was it okay that I let it go on for so long? no. That honestly is my only regret how long I was stupid and blind but the love I felt for him I will never regret. When I think about it now it makes me happy to know that I was able to open myself up to someone like that. I was open with myself and my heart and yeah I got burned but that's life. I can't control how he feels or his personality but I don't at all look down on myself because of that. I was true to myself that makes me proud.

 

I had a Jason (and funny enough his name was Jason!) and it took years for me to let go, and even in the end I wasn't the one to let go he finally completely walked away and didn't come back. I learned a hard lesson from that, and a painful one at that, and I think that's why I dislike this character Jason so much. I reflect myself on Ella, wishing she wouldn't make the same mistake I did, with a person that so obviously can't change. Just bc he left Kayla doesn't mean he won't ever try to win her back, it's her decision now not to take him back anymore. Ella needs to move on as well.
I get SO involved in this blog!
Congrats Laura - this is like the comments section on Cosmo, so many interested people (without the posting complaints!! LOL)

 

I never had a Jason and never will. Even though I am a patient person I'm not that patient. I can't wait for someone to grow up.

 

I don't hate Jason, but I don't love him for Ella. I did for the longest time reading this blog...oh man I wanted her to have everything she ever wanted and that was Jason. BUT....well Drew. And then them together....I just really love Drew & Ella together more. I did sort of have a Jason and I think that is why I don't hate him...but my 'other woman' was not a woman exactly, but his childhood friends. I said 'screw you, no wait come back' so many frickin times until I met my husband and then I found out what it was like to be the most important person in someone's life. :) I still wonder about him though and I think I always will because we have mutual friends.

 

I don't have a Jason, but I do have someone who broke my heart after four years and cheated. He left and took a little bit too long to come back. Oh, God, how I wanted to take him back but I always thought "once a cheat, always a cheat". I don't know if that's true in every case, but I never knew such hurt and pain. Here I am, 18 years later, pretty happily married with two great kids, and I still wonder what if? mum

 

I have had a "Jason" and its true that no matter how many times your friends and family tell you how wrong he is for you, you will never realize it until you go through all the heartbreak and drama. My "Jason" strung me along for YEARS (10 to be exact, I know, I know how did it take me 10 years to figure it out). The final straw was when I went down to visit him and some girl said they had slept together on Wednesday (I was there on Thursday) GROSS! And now I have my "Drew". Ella just needs to figure out what she wants and yes she does need to talk to Kayla because she needs to own up to what she did. I just hope that Drew will give her another shot if she wants that because sometimes, one mistake is enough.